This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse Over

I was wondering if you guys could put the mouse over topic summary thing on. I've seen other Vbulletin boards with it and it's a great thing to have.

Do you know what I'm talking about? I will try to explain if you need one
    I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

I think I know what you mean. On some vBB forums,you move the mouse over the thread title,then the first post pops up ,so you can see what the topic's about ,without entering the thread,thus saving a bit of time .

Handy for those vague thread titles ,like "Question ?" or "I have an idea..!",and clearly titled threads,but the downside could be that if that first post contains unmarked spoilers for eps unseen, it'd be a nightmare for the Mods,and for spoiler-avoiders on GW....and there are many !
    (Atm,spoiler warnings are mandatory around the forum,for Eps from SG-1 S8/9 and Atlantis S1 and 2.Also in the Sci-Fi Fantasy sections for present/future eps of series like Dr Who,Lost,etc.Thus there are tons of threads ...and tons of spoilers to mark !)

Just my opinions,obviously.It'll be interesting to see what other members think.
    Personally,I rather like the idea,if it proves workable for Darren and Greg.
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I've seen it on other forums, but I'm not sure if they were vBulletin. At quick glance, I don't see an option for this in the main forum settings.

Can anyone find an example of this and confirm that it's vBulletin?
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php

* Thread display options - sort by, sort order, from date
        * Thread and forum subscription (notification by email optional)
        * Thread preview on mouse-over (optional, via Admin CP)
        * Active Users viewing thread shown
        * New Post Indicator
        * Printer Friendly versions on threads
        * Admin tools for Threads - edit/delete/move/lock/Make sticky/ etc
        * Email page to a friend option
        * Similar Threads displayed on all thread views

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
          I've seen it on other forums, but I'm not sure if they were vBulletin. At quick glance, I don't see an option for this in the main forum settings.

Can anyone find an example of this and confirm that it's vBulletin?
          Apologies,Darren. I should have put a link as an example,in my earlier post.
          vBB is a very popular format,so I searched via Yahoo for vBB Forums that also use the "Mouse Over " option :

(Beware of spoilers Gw'rs !)
          The main SG-related sites turned out to be Gaters.net (Version 3.5.0 Release Candidate 2) :
          http://www.gaters.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Plus the Sony Forum 9Version 3.0.9):
          http://boards.sonypictures.com/board...splay.php?f=26

As a bit of a contrast,there's this forum about cars (Version 3.0.7):

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Hopefully no Stargate spoilers in that last one.

Hope this reply helps .

Comment

All set. Thanks!
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

hehe cool

Comment

Wow I feel special. Thanks a lot
                I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                  All set. Thanks!
                  (((((((((Darren))))))))))) Looks good too,imo .Thanks back atcha !

Comment

when i saw this i thought you ment that the bar at the top is scroll down link things on the website and not on the forum, why is that? can it recified cos have to go through all the rigmarole of going to S9 or the tech section of the Omni is a bit tedius?
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
                      Handy for those vague thread titles ,like "Question ?" or "I have an idea..!",and clearly titled threads,but the downside could be that if that first post contains unmarked spoilers for eps unseen, it'd be a nightmare for the Mods,and for spoiler-avoiders on GW....
                      I agree. I always avoid posts from blithering idiots who are too incompetent (or who just plain don't think) to post anything remotely useful in the subject line, but now at least I can know at a glance just how useless their posts are.

But the spoilers thing could be a serious issue. With the policy on Gateworld, if there is a spoiler warning in the subject line, the relevant text in the post doesn't need to be tagged.

HOWEVER, an added word of caution- spoiler tags don't work in a mouse-over! I just created a thread down in the testing grounds to see it.

So even if someone has spoiler warnings AND includes spoiler tags, anyone mousing over the thread title will see everything... including the text in the spoiler tags.
                      Last edited by ShadowMaat; 09 October 2005, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
                        Handy for those vague thread titles ,like "Question ?" or "I have an idea..!",and clearly titled threads,but the downside could be that if that first post contains unmarked spoilers for eps unseen, it'd be a nightmare for the Mods,and for spoiler-avoiders on GW....
                        Personally, I can't stand the mouse-over. I find the constant windows popping up annoying. And I don't think that the much-increased risk of unwanted spoilers is worth any time saving measures this option affords. Of course, that could be due to my annoyance at the damn thing. In the end, yeah, I read spoilers. But I'm capricious enough to want it to be on my own terms.

Comment

I think it's more trouble than it's worth. At least 90-95% of the people around here are smart/experienced enough to be concise in their subject lines. For the few who remain stubbornly clueless, chances are the mouse-over isn't going to help an awful lot. I find all the flickering boxes as I try to navigate pretty distracting, too, and if people run the risk of getting horribly spoiled just by moving their mouse over the wrong place at the wrong time... seems a bit unfair.

I don't think it's a feature GW really needs, although it was nice of Darren to try it out.

Comment

I really enjoy the mouse-over. The internet connection at my University is kind of wonky so it's nice not to have to click on more links than necessary. It's probably good for dial-up users for much the same reason.
                            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Cool new feature. I realy like this one. Now, I don't have to waste time opening up each thread to find out what it's all about. I can get the jist of it and only open up the ones I'm really interested in.

Thanks Darren! (...and thanks for the suggestion that started it all, TrustNo1. )
                              "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                              it has it's own laws and beats about things
                              which the intellect scorns."
                              - Mark Twain -

Comment

Working...
                              X