This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grace Under Pressure-WHY?

Why are TPTB doing Grace Under Pressure. From the spoilers it sounds like the ep is very similar to SG-1's Grace except with McKay instead of Carter. Why "steal" from an SG1 eisode? And if TPTB want to do a crossover, why not do a real crossover where SG1 gets to visit Atlantis, especially that Daniel is the perfect character to visit Atlantis and TPTB have denied his character that chance 3 times now.

It sounds like a good episode to watch (Grace Under Pressure) but i would like to see Daniel to actually visit Atlantis as he has always wanted to go and see for him self the Great City. I hope in the future they would do a crossover where SG-1 does actually visit Altantis, i think that episode would be good.

Proud Supporter of:
    - 'Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis' -

'If you don't tell me what I want to know, then it'll just be a question of how much you want it to hurt!'
    - Jack Bauer (24)

Comment

The premise of Grace Under Pressure doesn't particularly thrill me, as I disliked Grace. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Then again the thought of Daniel Jakcson in Atlantis doesn't do much for me either....
      sigpic

Comment

I didnt really like grace either, but it was an episod of Stargate SG-1 so i watched it, it would be like this episode (Grace Under Pressure) its an episode of Stargate Atlantis, so i will watch it. I do hope to be surprised tho, that it is a good episode, hopefully.

Proud Supporter of:
        - 'Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis' -

'If you don't tell me what I want to know, then it'll just be a question of how much you want it to hurt!'
        - Jack Bauer (24)

Comment

Admittedly, I was not a huge fan of the original Grace, but I am interested in Grace Under Pressure.

Spoiler:
          If McKay is having a life crisis and must think his way out of it, then his having to call up an illusion of Carter forces him to depend on someone. He has to admit to himself that he isn't perfect

The episode has potential to provide McKay with enormous character growth.

Additionally, I would like Daniel to visit Atlantis. I'm not ready for him to stay there, but the potential exists.
          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Just had a thought, what if Carter in this episode isn't a hallucination but the puddle jumper's AI replicating Carter on the display.

Comment

I agree MS. If the character of Jackson ever finally got to Atlantis it would be too out of character for for him to return to the MW. Once he was there he would never want to leave.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
                The episode has potential to provide McKay with enormous character growth.
                Of course. The ONE character who has the most development gets even MORE character development! I'm so sick of SG:McKay that I won't be tuning in for the second half of the season.

Comment

Well i thnk it's a money saver episode ;], mckkay doesnt need a centered episode to make an emormous growth. But perhaps you right. He needs to get less arogance, and maybe he will after this ep ;]
                  "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

I know there's nothing new under the sun but I don't see whay they need to rewrite SG1 episodes for Atlantis. It's not like we need Mckay to hallucinate to confirm he's a nut.

Mckay has gotten the most character development spanning two series. I know he's a favorite of many but give someone else a chance to grow.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

untill atlantis and the outpost each have thefull ZPM quota the show wont do a prooper crossover, simply becuase the SGC cant dial pegasus and daniel isnt oging to spend three months away from earth in a ship to visit the city for a week and dial home, while he could be fight orii cosmicly(asdended) or otherwise......IMO if daniel crosses to atlantis it will be when hes dead...literally!
                      sigpic
                      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                      Stargate : Genesis |
                      Original Starship DesignThread
                      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                      11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                        I know there's nothing new under the sun but I don't see whay they need to rewrite SG1 episodes for Atlantis. It's not like we need Mckay to hallucinate to confirm he's a nut.

Mckay has gotten the most character development spanning two series. I know he's a favorite of many but give someone else a chance to grow.
                        I see your point, and there are episodes for the other characters as well. Ephiphany will be important for Sheppard, and I can see Michael being crucial for both Beckett and Weir. Ronan has at least one more episode, and I, too, would like to see Teyla further developed.

I think the writers focus on McKay because he has so much growth to do. When he was on SG-1, I couldn't stand him, and I wasn't alone in my rejection of the character. I think TPTB are trying to remove the old, angry, annoying McKay and develop a three dimensional character. Sheppard and Weir have already acheived this, but it has taken until Season 2 for the writers to show us what is behind McKay's brillance. We've only seen him slip once before in Redemption Part 2(SG-1, Season 6). Now, he is my favorite character on Atlantis.

Also, in some ways, McKay is the Carter of Atlantis, and many people feel that Carter's character got shafted. First, she wasn't developed at all, and then the writers overdid it. I don't think they have pushed McKay too far yet.

Just my thoughts.
                        "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

and good thoughts they are.........totally agree is the character with the most potential, he so stuck in his ways breaking him open will be a great arc, like tealc in someways, it took 5 series to get him a good 3D persona...mkcay is reverse he got a persona and we want to see that ripped apart and then forcefeed him a new better personallity, then he can have great scitsophrenic eps where u get his old persona back, like trinity.
                          S3 and 4 will be great for the character IMO, atlantis has much more potential for character building than SG1.
                          sigpic
                          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                          Stargate : Genesis |
                          Original Starship DesignThread
                          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                          11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
                            I see your point, and there are episodes for the other characters as well. Ephiphany will be important for Sheppard, and I can see Michael being crucial for both Beckett and Weir. Ronan has at least one more episode, and I, too, would like to see Teyla further developed.
                            Well, including other characters in an episode isn't quite the same thing as developing the character. We've seen lots of Sheppard in action but still know nothing about him, his background, his family, etc.

I think the writers focus on McKay because he has so much growth to do.

Also, in some ways, McKay is the Carter of Atlantis, and many people feel that Carter's character got shafted. First, she wasn't developed at all, and then the writers overdid it. I don't think they have pushed McKay too far yet.
                            I think they focus on McKay because he's the only character they know how to write. He's almost a duplicate of Carter (except, of course, he's neither female nor military). The characters of O'Neill and Jackson over on SG1 originated from the Stargate movie; they were not created by the writers of SG1. Carter, however, was their original character (along with Teal''c) whom they created for the show.

I think they have pushed McKay too far--he's the ONLY character they promote, although they are getting better with Sheppard and they made a smart move by developing Dex from the start so he wouldn't get lost in the shuffle like poor Ford did. But Weir, Teyla, Beckett? We still don't know much, if anything about them. Teyla at least gets more screen time because she has real chemistry with Dex. I've the show from the beginning but have lost a lot of my love for the show because only key characters are getting developed as they go along. Unfortunately for me, my fave character is Beckett, and he's still a blank slate.

But that's how it goes. If you jump on the McKay bandwagon, you can enjoy the show. If you keep hoping for something more than simple action/adventure, you'll be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by kimaken
                              Of course. The ONE character who has the most development gets even MORE character development! I'm so sick of SG:McKay that I won't be tuning in for the second half of the season.
                              I'm not taking it that far, but I have to say that having Atlantis stuck in the "Shep/McKay Show" routine is one of the only major, major gripes that I have with the series. I think it'd be far more interesting to have Teyla or Weir stuck in the puddle-jumper since we've seen and heard so little from these characters. I'll keep watching, and David Hewlett is a wonderful actor, but I'd like to see TPTB start nailing down the other 2/3's of the cast before giving him and Shep too many more shows.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Working...
                              X