PDA

View Full Version : Season 8 DVD Boycott/Petition

chyron
October 5th, 2005, 08:20 PM
If you haven't heard, early reports indicate that the Season 8 DVD boxed set contains an edited version of the episode 'THREADS'. (Here in the US at least). Given that the episode is ONE of the critical episodes of the entire series AND that the extended version is the version aired originally on Sci-Fi, I've started a petition to notify the producers that of a boycott of the boxed set. I for one will not be buying it because of the issue. Thankfully, I didn't preorder it. (Of course, if you have you may want to return it as soon as it arrives to let the merchants know of the issue.)

http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1S8DVD/petition.html

David H

Daniel Jackson
October 5th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I'll be buying the DVD set as I've never seen Season 8. :D I guess I'll never see the 63-minute cut of "Threads." :(

jebus
October 5th, 2005, 08:25 PM
umm i there's minor typo:

To: Producers of Stargate SG-1

We, the undersigned, are refusing to purchase the Stargate SG-1 Season 8 DVD Boxed set on the grounds that it contains an edited version of the episode 'THREADS' (Episode #820). We ask that all subsequent boxed versions include the original edit of the episode as it aired on the Sci-Fi channel or that a separate DVD including the extended cut be made available.

Threads is epsode 818, not 820.

chyron
October 5th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Season 8 should have just started in Syndication. Syndication is always 1 year behind.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
October 5th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Get over it, they invented TiVo for a reason.

chyron
October 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM
umm i there's minor typo:Threads is epsode 818, not 820.

That was per www.stargateSG1.com. When I just doubled checked, the two part'ers are being counted as singled episodes. Those being 'RECKONING' and 'MOEBIUS'.

Madeleine
October 5th, 2005, 08:31 PM

Are you serious? They invented TiVo for a reason... but 'they' also invented boycotts for a reason, invented petitions for a reason...

If you're teasing, it's a good idea to use a smiley or six so that it's clear.

jebus
October 5th, 2005, 08:35 PM
That was per www.stargateSG1.com. When I just doubled checked, the two part'ers are being counted as singled episodes. Those being 'RECKONING' and 'MOEBIUS'.

yes, but that site lists the eps in wrong order...

816: Reckoning pt. 1
817: Reckoning pt. 2
818: Threads
819: Moebius pt. 1
820: Moebius pt. 2

Resident-Seven
October 6th, 2005, 03:14 AM
If you haven't heard, early reports indicate that the Season 8 DVD boxed set contains an edited version of the episode 'THREADS'. (Here in the US at least). Given that the episode is ONE of the critical episodes of the entire series AND that the extended version is the version aired originally on Sci-Fi, I've started a petition to notify the producers that of a boycott of the boxed set. I for one will not be buying it because of the issue. Thankfully, I didn't preorder it. (Of course, if you have you may want to return it as soon as it arrives to let the merchants know of the issue.)

David H
You're kidding right?

First they **** up the Australian release, by only including 5 audio commentaries (we got the long version of threads on the dvd, we only got the short version on tv though), and then this, they really dropped the ball with this boxset.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
October 6th, 2005, 04:37 AM
Just sign it

KatG
October 6th, 2005, 06:02 AM

Why should we get over it? Sure I TIVO'd it, but that doesn't mean that I don't want my DVD to contain the full version that I TIVO'd, along with a commentary. If I just wanted what I TIVO'd I wouldn't buy the box set to begin with.

chyron
October 6th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Why should we get over it? Sure I TIVO'd it, but that doesn't mean that I don't want my DVD to contain the full version that I TIVO'd, along with a commentary. If I just wanted what I TIVO'd I wouldn't buy the box set to begin with.
How did I stick my TiVo into my DVD player? :S:eek:;):D:)

KatG
October 6th, 2005, 06:42 PM
How did I stick my TiVo into my DVD player? :S:eek:;):D:)

Huh?

Do you mean how do you burn DVDs from TIVO? My TIVO player has a burner as part of it.

Now my husband has our old TIVO hooked up to a computer with a tv card and DVD burner in it, which is also linked to the cable, so he burns them that way. After all, TIVO is just a computer. It interacts with other computers quite well.

And if that isn't what you were asking, then maybe it will help someone else. *shrugs*

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
October 6th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Ep 7: Affinity and ep 8: Covenant are in the wrong order on the DVD set. Covenant should be first, then Affinity.

- They were the N.I.D., then "rogue elements within the N.I.D.," then "former rogue elements of the N.I.D." Eventually, they became completely disassociated from the N.I.D. and we needed a new name for them. Easier said than done, of course, because it turned out every name we thought of had been used on Alias. Eventually, we came up with the Trust -- and it wasn't until weeks later that we learned it, too, had been used on Alias. In the end, it was either stick with the Trust or go with our back-up: The Former Rogue Elements of the N.I.D. Now Working for Private Interests Bent on Global Domination. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

- And speaking of naming them: Originally, this episode was intended to air after "Covenant." As a result, Daniel (in the van scene) already knows their new name.

Link: http://gateworld.net/sg1/s8/making/807.shtml

blueiris
October 6th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Are you serious? They invented TiVo for a reason... but 'they' also invented boycotts for a reason, invented petitions for a reason...

If you're teasing, it's a good idea to use a smiley or six so that it's clear.
You would think they made that longer version for a reason, too. Like being able to view it. Unless, of course, when it aired it came with a content warning: All contents may not be broadcast again, EVER.;)

the Fifth Race
October 6th, 2005, 09:42 PM

/\/\/\ :rolleyes: :S /\/\/\

I love Tivo as much as anyone that has it, but Tivo does not even come close to watching SG on DVD. I have a Panasonic HDMI DVD player that makes the DVD watching experience phenomenal!, almost as good as Hi-Def quality.

TrustNo1
October 7th, 2005, 08:18 AM
TIVO?

Sucks be to you guys that got jibbed on the box set. I will sign the petition for you :) I'm not going to buy season 8 until I have all the other seasons.

Beckmen
October 7th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I just found this out (when I put the DVD in my player) and I am furious!

I am thinking about buying the volume of the UK DVD where this episode is. I have a multi-region/PAL/NTSC player so it would work. But do I want to pay over 10 bucks for one episode?

Sum1
October 7th, 2005, 09:06 AM

David H
A petition over this? Boycotting the DVD set over the length of the episode is taking things too far, in my opinion. If you start fan campaigns (which never work, by the way) over such trivial stuff, the executives won't listen to you when you have complaints over larger issues (such as...oh I don't know....the show being cancelled).

chyron
October 7th, 2005, 12:08 PM
A petition over this? Boycotting the DVD set over the length of the episode is taking things too far, in my opinion. If you start fan campaigns (which never work, by the way) over such trivial stuff, the executives won't listen to you when you have complaints over larger issues (such as...oh I don't know....the show being cancelled).
The purpose of the petition is to communication that the product that they have produced is NOT a product which we desire to purchase. Its purpose is to show the direct correlation between their actions and our actions. Its is NOT a FAN campaign, but a campaign of CONSUMERS. There is a distinct difference between lobbying for the renewal of a show and a flat-out economic boycot.

FYI - Obviously, you've never heard how bottles of Tobasco Sauce postponded the cancellation of ROSWELL by 1 year.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
October 7th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I'm sad to announce that I do not own a Tivo. :( And I wish I did. But thank god there's downloading. I'll do that until I get my Tivo.

walterIsTheMan
October 7th, 2005, 02:42 PM
At first I wasn't going to buy season eight, but I weighed the factors. I really liked season eight and the other 19 episodes outweighed a few lost minutes of "Threads", so I caved:(. But I think this petition is a great idea still and I encourage everyone who hasn't bought it yet to boycott!:D

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
October 7th, 2005, 03:03 PM
chyron, here's an Idea put the link to your petition in your sig, more people will see it. I did it for my "restore the stargate credits" petition, and more people saw it, and it became a success.

Taonas
October 7th, 2005, 04:26 PM
As much as I love the episode "Threads" I just have one question, what parts are cut out in the shorter version? If it's only the Jaffa parts, then it's not that much of a big thing to me.

That said, I would love to have it in it's entirety even if it would cost a little more, so I am going to sign the petition.

Sum1
October 7th, 2005, 06:26 PM
The purpose of the petition is to communication that the product that they have produced is NOT a product which we desire to purchase. Its purpose is to show the direct correlation between their actions and our actions. Its is NOT a FAN campaign, but a campaign of CONSUMERS. There is a distinct difference between lobbying for the renewal of a show and a flat-out economic boycot.

FYI - Obviously, you've never heard how bottles of Tobasco Sauce postponded the cancellation of ROSWELL by 1 year.
Boycotting the DVDs won't help you out at all. If you want to let MGM know you're upset about this, the best way to do it is simply to e-mail them telling them about the problem and asking them about it. By declaring a boycott, you're just attacking them as though they're trying to cheat you, and they'll be less receptive to helping you out now and in the future.

chyron
October 7th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Its now all a moot point as evidently TPTB (All Hail the The Powers that Be! Hallowed are the The Powers that Be! - even if they make idiotic decisions)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4261

And with that I'll be asking the Mod's (All Hail the Moderators! Hallowed are the Moderators!) to close this thread.