This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA Syndication debut ratings

Oh, MediaSavant, can you dissect this tidbit from the B&C trade magazine...

On the weekend, four new-to-syndication dramas debuted: Alias premiered at a 2.5, while Smallville and Stargate: Atlantis each opened at 1.7's....

I did not know that Atlantis was going to be on in syndication until I was channel surfing Saturday night. Now that I now when and where it is on I will be watching!

Comment

I watch both Stargate shows, Alias, Enterprise, and a little bit of Farscape (it was on at Midnight, I watched a little bit then went to bed). However, I didn't know that Smallville was in Syndication
      sigpic

Comment

Another trade magazine quote:
        Broadcasting & Cable reported on SGA's syndie debut....

On the weekend, four new-to-syndication dramas debuted: Alias premiered at a
        2.5, while Smallville and Stargate: Atlantis each opened at 1.7's, while Star Trek: Enterprise landed at a 1.2 in what, at the moment, would be the last syndicated debut for that storied franchise.

NOTE: GW reported that Variety said "Additionally, "Alias" preemed at a 2.5 rating, while "Smallville" and "Stargate Atlantis" debuted at a 1.7 and 1.2, respectively."

but TV Week said "The top new off-network one-hour weekly was Buena Vista's "Alias," which hit a 2.5, coming in second in the genre only to King World's "CSI" (4.5). Both Warner Bros.' "Smallville" and Sony's "Stargate: Atlantis" debuted with a 1.7..."

So, 2 out of 3, I suspect SGA came in at 1.7, not 1.2 as reported on the front page of GW....
        Last edited by prion; 05 October 2005, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
          So, 2 out of 3, I suspect SGA came in at 1.7, not 1.2 as reported on the front page of GW....
          Interesting. I hope we find out for sure which figure was the correct one.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I hope the 1.7 is correct, but the execs at SciFi and the syndication network should be happy with whatever they get when they fail to promote a successful show.

Stargate isn't on consistenly in syndication where I live. It constantly gets moved due to football games. I don't even know what time Atlantis is suppoused to air at in this area.

It perturbs me that BSG will get adds on anything that doesn't move, and SGA can't get a basic add on Yahoo. Ugh.
            "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Weird weird. Hopefully the 1.7 is correct, but my impression is that trade magazines usually get their info from Variety, not directly from Nielsen.

Hopefully we'll find out eventually where the error was made. Sci Fi Wire will list the syndi ratings next Wednesday, and hopefully they'll use Nielsen as their source.
              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                Hopefully we'll find out eventually where the error was made. Sci Fi Wire will list the syndi ratings next Wednesday, and hopefully they'll use Nielsen as their source.
                I think they probably will.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                  Weird weird. Hopefully the 1.7 is correct, but my impression is that trade magazines usually get their info from Variety, not directly from Nielsen.

The trade magazines get there stuff direct from Nielsen.

I have to get my train to work, but I'll check into this. It's possible *both* numbers are correct.

Syndication can get quoted in two types of ratings--an AA or a GAA.

Explain later. Gotta run.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                    The trade magazines get there stuff direct from Nielsen.

I have to get my train to work, but I'll check into this. It's possible *both* numbers are correct.

Syndication can get quoted in two types of ratings--an AA or a GAA.

Explain later. Gotta run.
                    Thanks!

Although I have no idea how both numbers could be right, but then, this is showbiz....

Comment

I checked it out. VARIETY MADE A MISTAKE!

Atlantis got a 1.7 just as the other trade magazine said it did. It was Enterprise that got a 1.2 and I think the writer got confused.

Hopefully Gateworld corrects this and uses one of the other sources.

They also both used the "AA rating". There are two definitions that can be used for syndication ratings. The unique reason is because some markets show the episodes two or three times. The difference between the rating definitions has to do with how they treat people who watch the show twice.

Average Audience ratings estimates for syndication is multiple processed for original and repeat telecasts within the report interval. Duplicated viewing to the same program minute by the same household or person is removed.

Gross Average Audience ratings (GAA) doesn't remove duplicated viewing.

But, Variety's mistake had nothing to do with using one definition while B&C used another. It was just bad information.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                        I checked it out. VARIETY MADE A MISTAKE!

Atlantis got a 1.7 just as the other trade magazine said it did. It was Enterprise that got a 1.2 and I think the writer got confused.

Hopefully Gateworld corrects this and uses one of the other sources.

They also both used the "AA rating". There are two definitions that can be used for syndication ratings. The unique reason is because some markets show the episodes two or three times. The difference between the rating definitions has to do with how they treat people who watch the show twice.

Average Audience ratings estimates for syndication is multiple processed for original and repeat telecasts within the report interval. Duplicated viewing to the same program minute by the same household or person is removed.

Gross Average Audience ratings (GAA) doesn't remove duplicated viewing.

But, Variety's mistake had nothing to do with using one definition while B&C used another. It was just bad information.

Thanks for the explanation on the GAA and AA stuff, and eek, Variety made a mistake. Well, they're only human. Time to go with the B&C and TelevisionWeek numbers

Which makes me happier anyway

And I didn't even know Enterprise had gone into syndication. Not in my market.

Comment

Maybe if they had advertised the show there would have been better ratings. It was by chance I found Atlantis two weeks ago. Another thing that may have been a slight ratings loser was the fact they showed Rising Part 1 twice (at least here in Northern VA). Anyway, I'm glad Atlantis is in syndication, It'll be great to see the first season again!

Comment

Originally posted by Cereal_Killer
                            Maybe if they had advertised the show there would have been better ratings.
                            I saw an ad for it in Entertainment Weekly, but syndicators usually have really small ad budgets. Other than that, it's up to the stations carrying the show to advertise and promote it.

Broadcast Syndication has been dying a slow death ratings-wise for years. Cable keeps gaining in the share of viewing it gets and broadcast is losing. As more channel's get added, the audience gets more fragmented and ratings go down.

Comment

Nice to know SGA did better than what was going around.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X