O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

From TV Guide Online:

http://www.tvguide.com/tv/review/

(There's a photo of Amanda Tapping at the site.)

TODAY'S REVIEW

Follow the Leader
    Stargate SG-1
    (9 pm/ET, SCIFI)
    Hey! Teal'c has hair!

Stargate SG-1's resident alien (Christopher Judge) has outgrown his Kojak look and has opted for a hipper image in the two-hour eighth-season opener. And at the risk of incurring the wrath of its legion of fans, it's a makeover that's long overdue.

The Stargate devoted have littered the Web with tribute sites in French, Nordic, Russian, German — and even English. Criticizing the series could easily result in an international — or interstellar — incident. The fans' loyalty may seem excessive, even obsessive, but I can relate. My friends can't get me to shut up about the Yardbirds, let alone Monty Python. So who am I to judge the SG-1 faithful? This column is not about the fans; it's about the show.

Tonight's episode is titled "New Order" and it picks up where last season's finale left off. O'Neill (Richard Dean Anderson) was cryogenically frozen in the aftermath of the team's epic dust-up with Anubis over the fate of the Earth. Dr. Elizabeth Weir (Torri Higginson) has replaced rock-steady Gen. Hammond (Don S. Davis) as head of Stargate Command. The absence of O'Neill reduces the team to Teal'c, archeologist Daniel Jackson (Michael Shanks) and Samantha Carter (Amanda Tapping), who takes over as leader.

Obviously, the first order of business is to find O'Neill, but Weir does not want to risk SG-1 on what could turn out to be a wild goose chase. Carter's determination quickly wins Weir over, but there's a catch — Daniel must stay behind.

It turns out to be a shrewd move. Shortly after Carter and Teal'c embark on a quest to enlist the aid of an O'Neill ally, a party of Goa'uld System Lords contacts Stargate headquarters with an offer. Weir and Jackson are wary of their parasitical foes — particularly when they adopt a conciliatory tone and inject words like "deal" and "alliance" into the conversation.

In the meantime, Carter and Teal'c catch up with O'Neill's friend Thor just in time to help defend his vessel from a swarm of Replicators — insect-like robots programmed to destroy Thor's planet, Asgard. But their target isn't Thor — it's Carter.

The hallmark of Stargate SG-1 has always been consistency. Basically, the unit is made up of science-fiction archetypes. O'Neill is the irreverent leader, Teal'c the stoic alien, Jackson the romantic idealist and Carter the sexy, sensitive tomboy. But after seven years, consistency has morphed into tedium with the possible exception of the sudden death of Dr. Frazier (Teryl Rothery) in last year's finale.

Happily, tonight's show is full of surprises. The departure of Davis's Gen. Hammond, coupled with the transfer of Higginson's Weir to the spin-off Stargate Atlantis necessitates several changes within SG-1 that radically alter the dynamic among the characters. Although Davis's departure could leave the gang without an anchor, a superior replacement isn't out of the question.

However, the best part of this story is Tapping, who easily outclasses her castmates. She single-handedly elevates the episode from curious to riveting in a wrenching scene that puts Carter at the mercy of a vengeful captor.

There's no denying that Stargate SG-1 has captured the hearts of millions, but let's face facts: This cult series is, at best, an acquired taste. Now, I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to gobble up this gumbo of stock characters, esoteric argot and escapism. At the same time, don't hold it against me if I pass on the meal. — G.J. Donnelly

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

..."Carter, the sexy sensitive tomboy"...? What happened to the soldier scientist? Hope that's just this one writers viewpoint and not the direction they're taking her in this year. Not that she's not sexy, of course.

Comment

Well he also thinks that Thor's planet is "Asgard" and that Dr. Frazier died in last year's "finale". So.......not a regular viewer of the show, I'm guessing.
      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

This isn't the first review I've read that singles out Amanda's performance with Fifth. I'm really looking forward to it. As for the rest the guy has said he's not a regular viewer so I'm not surprised when they throw these guys into a series 7 years in and they don't immediately fall in love with it. Plus it seems to me like a lot of reviewers go into the process of reviewing any sci-fi show with a bit of a chip on their shoulders, like they're too good to be reviewing sci-fi. Sci-Fi has always kind of been the red-headed step-child of the t.v. industry. It never seems to get any mainstream recognition or awards, which is a crying shame IMO.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
          This isn't the first review I've read that singles out Amanda's performance with Fifth. I'm really looking forward to it.
          I've been looking forward to the whole "Fifth" storyline a lot and I think this is going to be a very good arc for Sam. Way better than the lovelife stuff that's been talked to death.
          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Elfinwood
            ..."Carter, the sexy sensitive tomboy"...? What happened to the soldier scientist? Hope that's just this one writers viewpoint and not the direction they're taking her in this year. Not that she's not sexy, of course.
            At least they didn't use the massively overused term "Feisty",in relation to Sam...in most dictionaries, that word means "to break wind" in old English !
            The modern definitions are much less questionable....
            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
              I've been looking forward to the whole "Fifth" storyline a lot and I think this is going to be a very good arc for Sam. Way better than the lovelife stuff that's been talked to death.
              It looks like at least one of the writers is a Star Trek TNG fan. Remember when they killed off Tasha Yar then brought back an evil version of her seasons later? I can't wait to see what evil Samantha does.

Comment

Working...
              X