X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The gate and backing up people

Hi folks, first post here
    I was wondering the following today. If I understand correctly and if I paid close attention watching 48 hours, the gate breaks up a person and sends the information to another gate where that person is built again using the information right? So wouldn't it be possible to somehow do the thing teal'c went through twice? Like: prevent the information about him from being erased once he is rematerialised but do it once more? Would be an easy way to clone someone, ... or a stack of money. They could even make a backup of a person everytime they go through the gate in case something happens. Or am I missing something here?

In the world of Sci-Fi, why not?
    I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

I think the problem with this is that you forget the fact that only teal'c appeared. The gate keeps a record af all the things that are sent to it. This record is wiped clean when a new connection is established. Once an item is through, the 'record' or energy pattern for it is either removed entirely from the crystals or 'ticked off' the list. This is why there were no clones of o'neill, DJ and Carter. Theie energy patterns were ticked off the list. When the DHD minus control crystal was added, the gate knew to finish the reintegration process it didn't have a chance to previously. Only Teal's energy pattern hadn't been ticked off, so only he was re-intergrated. So it would not be possible to use the stargate to clone ppl. It's safe guarded against it. however, you could possibly use teleportation tech to clone. Once you have the energy pattern, you just need to re-intergrate the first person, then pump enough energy into the machine to make a new one, based on the same pattern. The only problem with this is that you do have to supply mall the energy for the matter for the person, and e=mc^2 says that that would be a lot...
      "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Originally posted by TrustNo1
        In the world of Sci-Fi, why not?
        Beautiful answer!

Comment

I always assumed it wasn't just information that was sent through--the actual matter the person is composed of is swept through the wormhole to the other side for reconstruction. There isn't enough material to make clones... although, I suppose someone could devise a way to make that so.

Comment

Two control crystals hooked up to the same gate? Sam's hot and smart, she could do it.
            I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

cloning PJ? ZPM's why not!
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              Stargate : Genesis |
              Original Starship DesignThread
              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
              11000! green me

Comment

@cozzerob: There isn't a safeguard that Sam can't override

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

thats why we love her!
                  sigpic
                  You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                  11000! green me

Comment

Indeed it is

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer
                      @cozzerob: There isn't a safeguard that Sam can't override
                      Yes, but since things tend to explode when she does; pretty rough on the clone.
                      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Gwi
                        Hi folks, first post here
                        I was wondering the following today. If I understand correctly and if I paid close attention watching 48 hours, the gate breaks up a person and sends the information to another gate where that person is built again using the information right? So wouldn't it be possible to somehow do the thing teal'c went through twice? Like: prevent the information about him from being erased once he is rematerialised but do it once more? Would be an easy way to clone someone, ... or a stack of money. They could even make a backup of a person everytime they go through the gate in case something happens. Or am I missing something here?
                        If what the gate does is convert a person into energy, you would have to supply a really large amount of energy to make a clone. If you were to attempt to clone money in this way, you would probably end up with a net loss.

Comment

E=mc^2 goes both ways. If you want to clone someone you just need an equal amount of useless matter. It would be fairly simple to turn 5 kilograms of lead into 5 kilograms of gold, for example. Equal mass means equal energy.

The problem is that the value of precious metal is proportional to its scarciy. When one starts glutting the market the material becomes worthless. If you turn enough lead into gold eventually lead will be the more valuable of the two.

Comment

Also, the ancients probably had to think about social factors when the stargates were being developped. People who go through want to know that they are "the same" person they were when then went in the gate. They probably wanted to make sure that once a person is converted to energy, that SAME energy is used to reconstitute the person.
                            The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by hyzmarca
                              E=mc^2 goes both ways. If you want to clone someone you just need an equal amount of useless matter. It would be fairly simple to turn 5 kilograms of lead into 5 kilograms of gold, for example. Equal mass means equal energy.

The problem is that the value of precious metal is proportional to its scarciy. When one starts glutting the market the material becomes worthless. If you turn enough lead into gold eventually lead will be the more valuable of the two.
                              that true but what about ZPMs and PJ's if you create an exact replica of them in plastic could they come out as the real thing? if thats the case then lets ring up china and get some made in china
                              sigpic
                              11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                              X