This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ancients arent as magnificent as once thought

after seeing the aurora, the ancients seem to be only as advanced as the humans in startrek... transporters... the lesser of the two types of hyperdrives... energy weapons... even the way they acted on their ship just seems like startrek. the asgard don't seem that much advanced either...
    although the ancients did ascend... but some races in startrek have done something similar...
    guess writers just need to come up with even more 'futuristic' stuff.
    dont get me wrong, i love the ancients and the asgard and all that jazz. just thought theyd be more... godly or something... the mystique factor is gone haha

Originally posted by Charles17
    after seeing the aurora, the ancients seem to be only as advanced as the humans in startrek... transporters... the lesser of the two types of hyperdrives... energy weapons... even the way they acted on their ship just seems like startrek. the asgard don't seem that much advanced either...
    although the ancients did ascend... but some races in startrek have done something similar...
    guess writers just need to come up with even more 'futuristic' stuff.
    dont get me wrong, i love the ancients and the asgard and all that jazz. just thought theyd be more... godly or something... the mystique factor is gone haha
    i think the problem with making htem godly like is then they shouldn't have lost the war and if they did how could we hope to win against the wraith. i think that they were overhyped as it is but they did build the gatesystem as well as altantis and that only makes them powerful. in protype kalic didn't seem advanced when u look at him it wasn't until he started using his powers that it was know how powerful he really was. also ive said this a few times we don't know how advanced the people on the ship was. for all we know those that could ascend did so early on even before the war and the rest of the ancients didn't have all the powers that they had since they weren't as close to ascension.

Comment

Originally posted by general ben
      i think the problem with making htem godly like is then they shouldn't have lost the war and if they did how could we hope to win against the wraith.
      If I remember right, in one episode, the Ancients said that they could defeat the Wraith, it was just the wraith out-numbered them, and would keep on coming, so instead of fighting an endless war, they abandoned Atlantis in hopes of their kind one day returning.

I think the Ancients could of been more advanced than they are made out to be, I mean, i've seen in episodes (Maternal Instinct for example), where they have used God-like powers to and emit energy from themselves and kill groups of enemies easily, absorb energy fire, and much more.

Yet in these newer episodes, I don't think i've seen any of the ancients exibit such powers.
      It may have to do something with the fact that they are ascended, but if thats the case, why don't the ones who are Ascended come to the aid of Atlantis?Afterall, that is their home city, you'd figure they'd want to protect it.

Comment

I think after seeing the struggle the Ancients had with the Wraith (technologically weaker but superior in numbers) the "magnificence" of Ancients diminished. I knid of like how they have'nt made the Ancients so superior and all powerful. It brings a realistic edge to the show and humanizes them alot more.
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I like the realism as well, but at the start when they first started introducing the Ancients, and talking about Atlantis and such, they made them appear to be this great and powerful race of beings superiour to most others... yet now in Atlantis, they aren't this great race of powerful beings.They were forced to abandon their own city and run away from a fight.

I think instead of just them suddenly being less superiour than first made out to be, some catastrophe should of happened setting the ancients back technalogically wise a little bit.

Comment

They are superior by far, a 17th century horseman figuring out how to drive a car doesn't make the car any less advanced.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

I don't think the ancients were too fussed about Atlantis once they had found out how to ascend. I think once they were capable of ascension the city of Atlantis was probably like childrens building blocks to them.

With regards to the aurora, lets be practical and remember that it was the other side of an entire galaxy. This means it might of simply taken a while for ancient technology to propagate across the galaxy.

When the latest computer hardware is first brought out do you have it instantly? - I'll doubt it cos I bet you have to wait for the shops to get hold of it first!

-Turboz

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Originally posted by general ben
                i think the problem with making htem godly like is then they shouldn't have lost the war and if they did how could we hope to win against the wraith. i think that they were overhyped as it is but they did build the gatesystem as well as altantis and that only makes them powerful. in protype kalic didn't seem advanced when u look at him it wasn't until he started using his powers that it was know how powerful he really was. also ive said this a few times we don't know how advanced the people on the ship was. for all we know those that could ascend did so early on even before the war and the rest of the ancients didn't have all the powers that they had since they weren't as close to ascension.
                ting is the PTB spent 8 years making them godly, then in atlantis they completely trash that idea???
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

they have set it us as the ancients wernt a warmongering race, they simply didnt desier to fight a long drawn out war with the wraith. they were a race of scientists and philosophers. Im fairly certain they could have wiped out the whole race of wraith, however they probably didnt because of the moral implications of genocide. i think they fought the wraith to a point that they just said hey if we leave sooner or later they will run out of food and then we will force them into a stopage in growth. what skin was it off the ancients noses to leave. they had to protect the milkyway galaxy. its more or less what we have taken over we have to keep the wraith out of the milkyway galaxy. look at it like this, in a war between the united states and china it would be really yucky, heres why. the united states has the most advanced military tech in the world, but the chineese have way more people then the us does in their army. the united states could possibly defeat the chinese but it would be a long and bloody war. think of it as a numbers thing, the nobles in europe found out that a mob of pesants revolting with pitchforks and broomsticks could overwhelm even the best trained soldiers with enough numbers. and as for the asended ancients not interfearing, thats been explained, they dont meddle in the lower planes of exeistance. its one of their laws. thats just my take i dont think its that they made em look like wimps its a matter of the ancients had to decide the best course of action and leaving was it.

Comment

Working...
                  X