• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shindig (105)

Visit the Episode GuideFIREFLY SEASON ONE
    SHINDIG
    EPISODE NUMBER - 105

Mal crashes a ball in search of a job, and instead finds himself dueling with one of Inara's clients over her honor.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 18 October 2012, 02:50 PM.

Lots of Mal/Inara goodness in this episode. Their relationship is really a bundle of contradictions...
    One of the things I really appreciate about Joss Whedon's writing is how he incorporates "ship" without being really "shippy". That scene where everyone is window shopping and staring at the mannequins is wonderfully done. It's hilarious watching Mal's face looking increasingly uncomfortable with every reference to Inara.

Also Mal getting whumped by Inara was classic stuff in pre-swordfight, swordfight instruction.

I must admit, much as I like Kaylee, I wouldn't be caught dead with a dress with that many frills... But I did like her scenes with her fan club.
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
      I must admit, much as I like Kaylee, I wouldn't be caught dead with a dress with that many frills...
      I wouldn’t either though you might could pay me to wear it.

When Mal refuses to kill Atherton….. “Mercy is the mark of a great man. *pokes him* Guess I'm just a good man. *pokes him again* Well, I'm all right.”

Love that bit.
      IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
        I wouldn’t either though you might could pay me to wear it.
        Egad... no way... I'm too principled... and too poor...

When Mal refuses to kill Atherton….. “Mercy is the mark of a great man. *pokes him* Guess I'm just a good man. *pokes him again* Well, I'm all right.”

Love that bit.
        I love my Captain...
        sigpic
        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I like all the subtle little bits that add to the characters. How Zoe hoists that heavy bag over her shoulder so easily after Mal *****es how heavy it is.

Or how Jayne conspicuously whispers "that is exactly the kind of diversion we could have used" and his "I could get naked".

But yeah, Kaylee's dress was a bit too much. Loved Inara's ballroom dress though (that and the peach dress and the shuttle dress).

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
            Or how Jayne conspicuously whispers "that is exactly the kind of diversion we could have used" and his "I could get naked".
            The whole River/Badger scene was great...

But yeah, Kaylee's dress was a bit too much. Loved Inara's ballroom dress though (that and the peach dress and the shuttle dress).
            Which shuttle dress?

Inara's taste in clothing is impeccable... well, it'll have to be given what she does. The aforementioned ballroom dress is gorgeous... my favourite outfit is the peach top and white slacks, which doesn't get an airing here.
            sigpic

Comment

Egad... no way... I'm too principled... and too poor...
              Well I didn’t mean you specifically. I have my principles as well and one of those is I don’t wear dresses period, unless it is absolutely mandatory….say high school and then college graduation….. but I’d be willing to wear that one for a price.

Then I could look "like a sheep walkin' on its hind legs." Mal's so insensitive at times.....but I share his sentiment in regards to that dress.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                Then I could look "like a sheep walkin' on its hind legs." Mal's so insensitive at times.....but I share his sentiment in regards to that dress.
                He's a mean o'l man
                But in his defence, I think our man gets a bit jumpy where Inara is concerned.

A very apt analogy actually... nasty and biting but extremely accurate...

I love my dresses...
                sigpic

Comment

This episode was down right fantastic...I don't think Firefly has had an episode that wasn't. Really funny and as always, great character development.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Which shuttle dress?
                    This dress:

Comment

Rivers accent in this...lol...Glau did a good job.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

"Sad little king of a sad little hill." - Fantastic line.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                          This dress:
                          Oh that dress... Yes... it's one of my favourites too... Very subcontinent...
                          sigpic

Comment

I sincerely loved this episode with all of the character development...Kaylee at the party; Mal at the party looking hotter than hot; Mal being uncomfortable when it comes to Inara (defending her honor, but yet contradicting himself by making an insult to her career). I could go on and on. Great, great episode.
                            -girlgater

Comment

Again a very funny episode loved the quotes from Mal when he is fighting, Firefly is just brilliant there is loads of stuff to get everyone to like the show. Don't understand why it wasn't more of a hit.

Comment

Working...
                              X