PDA

View Full Version : 5th Doctor

Easter Lily
September 30th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Well, I'm watching Peter Davison's turn as Dr Who on Australian telly at the moment and I'm really enjoying it. He's adorable and very sweet. Like Pertwee, he adds an emotional layer to his portrayal of the Doctor.

Just finished the Arc of Infinity story and wondered the whole time where Leela was... :p

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
September 30th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Well, I'm watching Peter Davison's turn as Dr Who on Australian telly at the moment and I'm really enjoying it. He's adorable and very sweet. Like Pertwee, he adds an emotional layer to his portrayal of the Doctor.

Just finished the Arc of Infinity story and wondered the whole time where Leela was... :p
So you beat creed462 to it. :D

Davison brought vulnerability and fallibility to his character. I always thought his character was short-changed in the writing aspect of his tenure...too many stories were under par, but I really enjoyed his character...and Nyssa and Turlough as well. :D

September 30th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Just finished the Arc of Infinity story and wondered the whole time where Leela was... :pShe was hiding in pure terror from Leonard Sachs' terrible acting. :p

Rowana
October 1st, 2005, 03:11 AM
I've always like the fifth doctor. He had some of my favorite traveling companions and his relationship with them was more a partnership than any of the others. I especially love the Turlough's first episodes, though the Black Guardian could have been better. Honestly, how scary can you be with feathers on your head?

Willow'sCat
October 1st, 2005, 06:38 PM
Hehe, I had a big crush on Peter when he was the doctor,:o well it started when he was in All creatures great and small and just continued to the Doctor. :p

I liked his portrayal very youthful and heartfelt. When they did the Five Doctors I thought he was brillant, I thought that whole story was brilliant. Shame we will not see it here during these re-runs. :(

I loved the outfit the Celery sure it's cheesy but it's also fun. He continued with the hat wearing too.

Can someone tell me when he first incounters the Daleks (I haven't missed it have I?) Loved him with the Cybermen. :D

October 1st, 2005, 07:03 PM
Can someone tell me when he first incounters the Daleks (I haven't missed it have I?) Loved him with the Cybermen. :DAlthough the Daleks appeared in The Five Doctors, Peter's Doctor didn't encounter them until Resurrection of the Daleks, Season 21. It's already been released on DVD. :D

Easter Lily
October 1st, 2005, 10:45 PM

Davison brought vulnerability and fallibility to his character. I always thought his character was short-changed in the writing aspect of his tenure...too many stories were under par, but I really enjoyed his character...and Nyssa and Turlough as well. :D

I did give it a suitable waiting time before jumping in... :D

She was hiding in pure terror from Leonard Sachs' terrible acting.
Leela and hiding in one sentence?! An oxymoron if I ever heard one. Maybe she killed him and was condemned to death... :p

He was kinda cute... one of the few men who could match her in er... stature... :p

in circles
October 2nd, 2005, 01:12 PM
He's one of my favourite doctors. Just a shame he had to put up with some less than great scripts and that outfit.

Metarock Sam
October 2nd, 2005, 01:18 PM
Did you know he was the first doctor to have the ? on his costume it was on his collars :D .
He was an ok Doctor but I just found him not as great as say Tom Baker or Sylvester McCoy. There was something missing but I think its just cos I think they portrayed him too youthfull. Turlough was great (Black Guardian Saga was the first set of episodes I saw in a group together after seeing Trial of a Timelord) but my fave companion is Chameleon because he can change appearance and bvoice how you want him to although its a shame he only appeard in 2 eps :( .

in circles
October 2nd, 2005, 01:44 PM
Tom Baker has the question marks on his collar in his later seasons. I wish they'd never introduced them into the costume. It looks stupid.

Metarock Sam
October 2nd, 2005, 01:46 PM
I think theyre great. Adds more mystery :cool:

October 2nd, 2005, 03:31 PM
I did give it a suitable waiting time before jumping in... :D

Leela and hiding in one sentence?! An oxymoron if I ever heard one. Maybe she killed him and was condemned to death... :p

He was kinda cute... one of the few men who could match her in er... stature... :pLeonard Sachs played Borusa in Arc of Infinity. ;)

Andred (played by Chris Tranchell) did a much better job, believe me.

October 2nd, 2005, 03:36 PM
Tom Baker has the question marks on his collar in his later seasons. I wish they'd never introduced them into the costume. It looks stupid.JNT...great logistical producer and publicist...not so great costume designer, script commissioner, or acting coach...

Despite his flaws...still gotta love him.

Verona
October 2nd, 2005, 04:20 PM
Liked this Doctor think he suffered from having to many companions, one on one works for me (did he peak at four or five at one stage?)

Easter Lily
October 2nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
Leonard Sachs played Borusa in Arc of Infinity. ;)

Andred (played by Chris Tranchell) did a much better job, believe me.

Oh... okay... I thought you were referring to the fella she stayed behind for... Whose name escapes me at present...

creed462
October 2nd, 2005, 04:40 PM

I don't mind lol,, I've been moving funiture all weekend. Any way I always thought the fifth Doctor was neat. Except for the piece of celery, He took on Omaga by himself and unfortantly lost the sonic screw-driver, His years were intersting

October 2nd, 2005, 05:02 PM
Oh... okay... I thought you were referring to the fella she stayed behind for... Whose name escapes me at present...His name was Andred and he was played Chris Tranchell. That's who I thought you meant. ;)

October 2nd, 2005, 05:08 PM
Liked this Doctor think he suffered from having to many companions, one on one works for me (did he peak at four or five at one stage?)There were three companions at a maximum in the classic television series during Peter Davison's era.

Adric, Nyssa, and Tegan. (6 stories)
Nyssa and Tegan. (3 stories)
Nyssa, Tegan, and Turlough. (2 stories)
Tegan and Turlough. (1 story)
Tegan, Turlough, and Kamelion (6 stories, although Kamelion was only seen in 2.)
Turlough and Peri (1 story)
Peri (1 story)

Easter Lily
October 2nd, 2005, 08:21 PM
I actually liked his having a few companions... I sort of missed it throughout much of the Tom Baker era...

Rowana
October 2nd, 2005, 08:54 PM
I actually liked his having a few companions... I sort of missed it throughout much of the Tom Baker era...

I also enjoyed having more companions, though I think the concepted worked better for the first and second Doctor. Two is a good number in my opinion, especially if one is a boy. I kinda wish the Doctor had more male companions.

October 2nd, 2005, 08:56 PM
I actually liked his having a few companions... I sort of missed it throughout much of the Tom Baker era...I guess Seasons 1, 2, and 4 would appeal to you as well. ;)

Oh, and I prefer more companions as well...with the longer stories.

Easter Lily
October 2nd, 2005, 10:22 PM
I guess Seasons 1, 2, and 4 would appeal to you as well. ;)

Oh, and I prefer more companions as well...with the longer stories.
Oh definitely... I liked Barbara and Ian. Anything to do with earth's history is also good fun...

Easter Lily
October 3rd, 2005, 02:17 AM
Watching Snakedance at the moment:
I like Tegan's new hairstyle... suits her... the air hostess one was... for lack of a better word... dated... Story sounds cheesy but will persevere. Why in the world is Nyssa wearing this milkmaid dress... eeeeuuuuuwww...? I liked flapper look on her, pity she hasn't revisited it.
The Federator's obnoxious son looks familiar... thought he was the actor from Stalky and Co but apparently not. He was in Men Behaving Badly, which I've never seen.

creed462
October 3rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
I liked having more companions as well it seem to froce the doctor to strech it was good.

October 10th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I liked Turlough. The idea of having a companion on a mission to kill the Doctor was different.

Easter Lily
October 11th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Yes... he's interesting...
But yay... the Brigadier is back! Now which one is the dyed look? :p

October 11th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Yes... he's interesting...
But yay... the Brigadier is back! Now which one is the dyed look? :pHey, don't pick on Alastair! He was deeply traumatised in that episode! ;)

Metarock Sam
October 11th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I think there should have been more Turlough and the fifth Doctor episodes. He was a great companion. (well after Englihgtenment before that he was waaaaay to dependant on the Black Guardian.)

October 11th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I think there should have been more Turlough and the fifth Doctor episodes. He was a great companion. (well after Englihgtenment before that he was waaaaay to dependant on the Black Guardian.)I wanted to see him as the Sixth Doctor's companion. Personally, I think that would have been better than Peri.

creed462
October 11th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I loved the scene when he couldn't kill the Doctor and threw the Jewel at the Black Guardian, I think the Doctor Knew the whole time....

October 11th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I loved the scene when he couldn't kill the Doctor and threw the Jewel at the Black Guardian, I think the Doctor Knew the whole time....Or when he tried to kill the Doctor while he was trying to fix the beacon and it sparked and threw them both back.

creed462
October 11th, 2005, 04:00 PM
One thing I always loved about the Doctor was that he was never oblivious to what was going on around around him, but never let you know he knew

Dallista
October 11th, 2005, 10:21 PM
I must admit to having been a bit disappointed with the original Turlough story-arc, with the Black Guardian trying to get Turlough to kill the Doctor. Apart from the time when Turlough tries to smash the Doctor's head with a large rock, it never really was much suspense to it, IMHO. I'd thought I'd really like Turlough in the Black Guardian trilogy, but I actually liked him better in the later stories. He's just okay as a sort of baddie, but as a good guy, he works better, especially in the way he relates to the Doctor.

Rowana
October 12th, 2005, 08:01 AM
The Black Guardian stuff was a little disappointing. I was hoping for a little more direct confrontation between Turlough and the Doctor. Definatetly like his later episodes, especialy Planet of Fire, one of his best I think.

October 12th, 2005, 11:43 AM
I must admit to having been a bit disappointed with the original Turlough story-arc, with the Black Guardian trying to get Turlough to kill the Doctor. Apart from the time when Turlough tries to smash the Doctor's head with a large rock, it never really was much suspense to it, IMHO. I'd thought I'd really like Turlough in the Black Guardian trilogy, but I actually liked him better in the later stories. He's just okay as a sort of baddie, but as a good guy, he works better, especially in the way he relates to the Doctor.I like how he got braver and less selfish but Tegan always remained suspicious of him.

October 12th, 2005, 11:48 AM
The Black Guardian stuff was a little disappointing. I was hoping for a little more direct confrontation between Turlough and the Doctor. Definatetly like his later episodes, especialy Planet of Fire, one of his best I think.
Mawdryn Undead was the best of the three.

Terminus was pretty depressing. If you need a pick-me-up, don't pick up this episode. Plus Nyssa left and she was the best companion to Peter's Doctor.

Enlightenment was a good concept and had some good scenes but wasn't nearly as good as Mawdryn Undead.

Easter Lily
October 12th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I've never been too fond of Tegan myself... even if we are from the same city. It's that voice I think... somewhat grating...

Sad to hear that Nyssa's leaving... I like the way she's grown throughout the series. I heard that Peter Davison went to bat for her when they were going to drop her earlier on.

Easter Lily
October 12th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Hey, don't pick on Alastair! He was deeply traumatised in that episode! ;)

So traumatized that he's now teaching in a boy's school?!
Thought that would be even more traumatic...

October 12th, 2005, 04:36 PM
So traumatized that he's now teaching in a boy's school?!
Thought that would be even more traumatic...Oooh, good point! :D

Metarock Sam
October 13th, 2005, 02:02 PM
However now hes not. Hes retired livingh with Bessie and Doris.

October 13th, 2005, 03:24 PM
However now hes not. Hes retired livingh with Bessie and Doris.Well, that depends on which now we're discussing. ;)

We were talking about Alastair(s) circa Mawdryn Undead. :D

Easter Lily
October 13th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Who's Bessie and Doris? :S
Haven't seen them yet...

October 13th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Who's Bessie and Doris? :S
Haven't seen them yet...Bessie is the Doctor's yellow roadster, seen mainly during Jon Pertwee's era...also in The Robot, The Five Doctors, and Battlefield. The license plate was WHO1.

Doris was first mentioned in The Planet of Spiders as an old "friend" of Lethbridge-Stewart whom modesty prevented from discussing. In Battlefield, we finally meet her by which time she has married Alastair.

Easter Lily
October 13th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Bessie is the Doctor's yellow roadster, seen mainly during Jon Pertwee's era...also in The Robot, The Five Doctors, and Battlefield. The license plate was WHO1.

Doris was first mentioned in The Planet of Spiders as an old "friend" of Lethbridge-Stewart whom modesty prevented from discussing. In Battlefield, we finally meet her by which time she has married Alastair.

Oh that Bessie... yes... I know her... :D
But Bessie and Doris... sounded like *cough*a couple of dogs*cough*... :P

Must've missed that reference to Doris... *grumbles about having to cook and watch Dr Who at the same time*

October 13th, 2005, 08:35 PM

Must've missed that reference to Doris... *grumbles about having to cook and watch Dr Who at the same time**grumbles back at complete lack of Who on American television*

creed462
October 14th, 2005, 11:59 AM
*grumbles back at complete lack of Who on American television*
In major agreement

Metarock Sam
October 14th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Ouch Thats way to harsh !!!

Easter Lily
October 14th, 2005, 05:42 PM
^ Yeah, I'm naughty... Want to send me to the corner :P

Another thing about Jon Pertwee that I like (just remembered) is that he spoke Hokkien...:eek: pretty clearly too...
He's attempt at Hokkien was much better than all the Mandarin I've heard on Firefly... :p

Rowana
October 14th, 2005, 07:28 PM
^ Yeah, I'm naughty... Want to send me to the corner :P

Another thing about Jon Pertwee that I like (just remembered) is that he spoke Hokkien...:eek: pretty clearly too...
He's attempt at Hokkien was much better than all the Mandarin I've heard on Firefly... :p

I remember that. That was really cool!:D I love it when they do things like that on the show, it adds so much more depth.

Chrysalis
October 15th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Mawdryn Undead was the best of the three.

Terminus was pretty depressing. If you need a pick-me-up, don't pick up this episode. Plus Nyssa left and she was the best companion to Peter's Doctor.

Enlightenment was a good concept and had some good scenes but wasn't nearly as good as Mawdryn Undead.

Nyssa was definitely the best of the companions. She and PD worked really well together. And yes, Terminus was depressing.

I liked Enlightenment... showed a different sort of Tegan..

Rowana
October 15th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Nyssa was definitely the best of the companions. She and PD worked really well together. And yes, Terminus was depressing.

I liked Enlightenment... showed a different sort of Tegan..

Enlightenment was interesting. I liked the concept of the Eternals a lot, though I think some of it could have been done better. The end was a little anti-climatic. Still, I was glad when Turlough was finally rid of the Black Gaurdian. His character really showed after that.

Metarock Sam
October 16th, 2005, 01:36 AM
I just saw Arc of Infinity this morning and that is now my fave Davidson episode !!! It rocked and it had Omega in it. What more could you want !!!

Dallista
October 16th, 2005, 02:51 AM
What more could you want !!!
For people to realize that it's Davison, not Davidson. ;)

Seriously, though, I don't know what it is about Doctor Who fandom, but this seems to be a mistake that is made all the time and everywhere. It got to the point where I, a newbie, started to believe that it really should be Davidson, as I kept seeing it written that way.
I just don't understand why this problem comes from. Is there a reason for it, other than simply people copying each others' mistakes? Or is it that in Brit English, maybe you cannot hear the difference between the two names? Or something else entirely? I'm just curious. I've never come across such a persistent mistake in spelling a person's name.

Nothing against you, Sam, mind you! Hey, I love Arc of Infinity, too. Omega is cool, and I adore the scenes on Gallifrey. I'm having a friend over today and tomorrow, and I promised her I'd give her a taste of classic Doctor Who (not like I'm an expert or anything, but she's only seen the 2005 series). I'm thinking of at least showing her Castrovalva (to introduce the Doctor, of course), and then Arc of Infinity, because it's high on the Doctor Angst level (we're Hurt/Comfort addicts) and since she's also Dutch, it'll be fun to watch Amsterdam, how it looked a couple of years before we were born. ;)

Chrysalis
October 16th, 2005, 04:29 AM
For people to realize that it's Davison, not Davidson. ;)

Seriously, though, I don't know what it is about Doctor Who fandom, but this seems to be a mistake that is made all the time and everywhere. It got to the point where I, a newbie, started to believe that it really should be Davidson, as I kept seeing it written that way.
I just don't understand why this problem comes from. Is there a reason for it, other than simply people copying each others' mistakes? Or is it that in Brit English, maybe you cannot hear the difference between the two names? Or something else entirely? I'm just curious. I've never come across such a persistent mistake in spelling a person's name.

OMG! That's one of my pet hates, too, having been a huge Davison fan since his days on All Creatures...
No offence to anyone who's called him Davidson --- it's just kind of obvious to those who've known him for a long time.
As for the question about why people do it, I think it's purely because Davidson's a common name, and Davison isn't. Having said that, his real last name is Moffett, but that's another story altogether! (his daughter is an actress, credited as Georgia Moffett)

Dallista
October 16th, 2005, 05:18 AM
I think it's purely because Davidson's a common name, and Davison isn't.
That makes sense then. It just really confused me. At some point I really thought it was Davidson, and the few times I'd come cross Davison were the mistakes. :S

Having said that, his real last name is Moffett
Maybe this is a really stupid question, but does him having changed his name have anything to do with the fact that there was a Peter Moffatt, a director on Doctor Who (maybe even around the same time as Peter Davison played the Doctor)?

Chrysalis
October 16th, 2005, 05:39 AM
That makes sense then. It just really confused me. At some point I really thought it was Davidson, and the few times I'd come cross Davison were the mistakes. :S

Maybe this is a really stupid question, but does him having changed his name have anything to do with the fact that there was a Peter Moffatt, a director on Doctor Who (maybe even around the same time as Peter Davison played the Doctor)?

Not a stupid question! A good one!
He changed his name after joining Equity because another person had the same name. Could have been Peter Moffatt, but the spelling is different... and Moffatt is a director, so it may not have been an issue...
Who knows. Maybe there's another actor out there called Peter Moffett.

Metarock Sam
October 16th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Whenever Ive seen his name ive always seen Davidson.

Chrysalis
October 16th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Definitely Davison, not Davidson.

Dallista
October 16th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Well, that's just my point! :) It seems to be so incredibly wide-spread! Truly strange...

Easter Lily
October 18th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Phew... I can see why you people are saying that Terminus is a depressing storyline... Very glum looking... and almost everyone's in beige or brown too which doesn't help...

Chrysalis
October 18th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Phew... I can see why you people are saying that Terminus is a depressing storyline... Very glum looking... and almost everyone's in beige or brown too which doesn't help...

It is sad --- I was always a Nyssa fan. I think she worked really well with the 5th doctor, better than the rest, so I found it sad that it was her final story, too.

Metarock Sam
October 18th, 2005, 02:22 PM
If I remeeber rightly wasnt Terminus the Episode in which the doctor thew a cricket ball in space which bounced of a ship and propelled him back into the TARDIS ???

October 18th, 2005, 04:20 PM
If I remeeber rightly wasnt Terminus the Episode in which the doctor thew a cricket ball in space which bounced of a ship and propelled him back into the TARDIS ???You're thinking of Four to Doomsday.

Rowana
October 18th, 2005, 06:38 PM
You're thinking of Four to Doomsday.

Yup. That was a fun scene!:)

Metarock Sam
October 19th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Although in reality that would never happen as the ball would just smash against the ship.

October 19th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Although in reality that would never happen as the ball would just smash against the ship.
It's a cricket ball...of the future!

creed462
October 19th, 2005, 11:55 AM
The doctor always has his unususual ways

Easter Lily
October 19th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Terminus is such a dreary story too... slow going... and seems to drag its heels. Too much of everything else and not enough of the Doctor. I'm only persevering because it's Nyssa's last appearance. That and because the Garm looks kinda cute... :p

Willow'sCat
October 19th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Yup. That was a fun scene!:)That was embarrassing, I mean I probably loved it the first time I watched it but seeing it again recently it was OMG I can't believe how lame that was! :eek:

It's a cricket ball...of the future! Teehee. :) Should of had K9 and thrown him at it instead. :p :D

Easter Lily
October 20th, 2005, 02:13 AM
*Sob* Got a bit teary there when Nyssa said her goodbyes...
She will be missed... The poor Doctor looked so lost... as if he didn't know what to do with himself.

Now, for a planet with a bit more colour... ;)

October 20th, 2005, 03:59 PM
That was embarrassing, I mean I probably loved it the first time I watched it but seeing it again recently it was OMG I can't believe how lame that was! :eek: Lame? But the costumes were just so appropriate.

I mean don't nurses typically dress in depressing skull & bone themed armor?

And don't all raiders dress like 80's rock stars? Most laymen don't realize the importance of the proper use of eye make-up in piracy. Also, essential in military operations. See Warriors of the Deep for clarification.

Rowana
October 20th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Most laymen don't realize the importance of the proper use of eye make-up in piracy. Also, essential in military operations. See Warriors of the Deep for clarification.

Lol! Those people did have a awful lot of makeup on. Especially for a secret, underwater, military base that was supposed to be cut off from the world. Where did they get resupplies? I wonder if their bosses concider it an essential item. LOL! Man, I'm rambling tonight.

October 20th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Lol! Those people did have a awful lot of makeup on. Especially for a secret, underwater, military base that was supposed to be cut off from the world. Where did they get resupplies?I'm thinking they must have given high level security clearance to Avon (and I don't mean Paul Darrow).

I wonder if their bosses concider it an essential item.Considering their outfits, I'd say it was most certainly essential.

In fact, I'd even go as so far to say it was a cosmetic emergency.

If only more military organizations took the time to address the cosmetic needs of their soldiers, war wouldn't be so ugly.

Willow'sCat
October 20th, 2005, 09:32 PM
She will be missed... The poor Doctor looked so lost... as if he didn't know what to do with himself.

Now, for a planet with a bit more colour... ;) :eek: I missed it. :( Darn the switch to Daylight Savings is throwing me off, I keep forgetting to watch. :o And it isn't on tonight. :(

October 20th, 2005, 10:05 PM
:eek: I missed it. :( Darn the switch to Daylight Savings is throwing me off, I keep forgetting to watch. :o And it isn't on tonight. :(If you think you're depressed now, wait until you actually see that episode. ;)

Metarock Sam
October 23rd, 2005, 01:05 PM
well for uk viewers terminus will be on saturday 7am on UkGold and Enlightenment will be on the same time Sunday. I missed Mawdwyn (sp?) Undead this morning and thats the only Black Guardian trilogy ep that Ive not seen.

Chrysalis
October 24th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Now, for a planet with a bit more colour... ;)

PD and SS worked really well together.
I remember a quote from him saying that when they told him a companion was going, he said he didn't care who it was, as long as it wasn't her. That's when they got rid of Matthew Waterhouse..

Rowana
October 24th, 2005, 07:55 AM
That episode made me cry. :( I still refuse to watch it again. I guess I'm in denial.

creed462
October 24th, 2005, 11:36 AM
iS This the ep when they were on the ships is space?

Rowana
October 24th, 2005, 11:41 AM
iS This the ep when they were on the ships is space?

There was a lot of space so it might be what you're thinking of. It's Earthshock with the Cybermen.

creed462
October 24th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Oh the one where Averic died.

Rowana
October 24th, 2005, 04:57 PM

Yes.....*sniff*:(

creed462
October 24th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I know that was a miserable ending......

Easter Lily
October 26th, 2005, 01:32 AM

Do you mean Adric... :S

That episode made me cry. I still refuse to watch it again. I guess I'm in denial.
It's always very sad when a companion leaves... some more so than others...

Easter Lily
October 26th, 2005, 03:07 AM
I noticed on IMDB that Mark Strickson (Turlough) was in something called "Lust in Space" which was apparently a Dr Who episode or television film. Can someone confirm that?

To all Australians... the 20th Anniversary Special:The Five Doctors should be coming up soon... *does a little dance* after The King's Demons. :D *prays that the ABC will follow past scheduling*

Chrysalis
October 26th, 2005, 06:04 AM
I noticed on IMDB that Mark Strickson (Turlough) was in something called "Lust in Space" which was apparently a Dr Who episode or television film. Can someone confirm that?

To all Australians... the 20th Anniversary Special:The Five Doctors should be coming up soon... *does a little dance* after The King's Demons. :D *prays that the ABC will follow past scheduling*

Lust In Space, I believe was a documentary sort of thing about the companions.
BTW, Mark Strickson now lives in Australia! He's married and lives in Queensland, I think. I read somewhere that he and Sarah Sutton are still in contact a fair bit, though she and her family are in the UK.

creed462
October 26th, 2005, 08:34 AM
BTW, Mark Strickson now lives in Australia! He's married and lives in Queensland, I think. I read somewhere that he and Sarah Sutton are still in contact a fair bit, though she and her family are in the UK.
I thought it was sort of a comedy spoff for charity or anerversery.

Chrysalis
October 27th, 2005, 03:25 AM
I thought it was sort of a comedy spoff for charity or anerversery.

Hmm. Maybe it was an anniversary thing.. Not quite sure..

Easter Lily
October 27th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Does he now?
His bio in IMDB says he's divorced and has moved back to the UK... And he makes docos on wildlife.

Chrysalis
October 28th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Does he now?
His bio in IMDB says he's divorced and has moved back to the UK... And he makes docos on wildlife.

really? wow! Tht's a change of career. Cool, though!

Dallista
October 28th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Am becoming thoroughly obsessed with the Fifth Doctor, and I think I've now reached the point where I can safely say that the Fifth Doctor is "my" Doctor, even though he wasn't my first (that was the Ninth). But he was "born" around the same time I was born, so maybe that makes up for it. ;) No man... Gallifreyan has the right to be that nice, charming and good-looking!

Easter Lily
October 28th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Am becoming thoroughly obsessed with the Fifth Doctor, and I think I've now reached the point where I can safely say that the Fifth Doctor is "my" Doctor, even though he wasn't my first (that was the Ninth). But he was "born" around the same time I was born, so maybe that makes up for it. ;) No man... Gallifreyan has the right to be that nice, charming and good-looking!

He's gorgeous isn't he... :D He and Paul McGann have got to be the best looking doctors. But it isn't just that either. He gave an emotional dimension to the role which hadn't been there after Pertwee. Not to say that Tom Baker wasn't good but his strength lay in his quirky disposition.
I think he did a great job of being the doctor in spite of some of the stories.

Willow'sCat
November 2nd, 2005, 11:15 PM
He's gorgeous isn't he... :D He and Paul McGann have got to be the best looking doctors.
Ah love him and just noticed that they are showing 'The Five Doctors' so I can enjoy all of them again :D (bar one :( or two :S ). I really didn't think they would screen it again.

Easter Lily
November 3rd, 2005, 12:44 AM
I'm really enjoying The Five Doctors... If I had a car, I would make a dash for JB and get it on DVD... :p It's so good to see them all together... well, almost all anyway... Wonder why Tom Baker didn't want to come back. William Hartnell's replacement isn't bad, I must say... but SUSAN! Doesn't she look different, 20 years on...
What in the world is K9 doing with Sarah Jane? Did I miss something? Didn't one stay with Leela on Gallifrey and the other with Romana 2?

*Sigh* I miss Jon Pertwee...

Dallista
November 3rd, 2005, 01:56 AM
I think the Fourth Doctor was in the habit of giving K9s to his ex-companions as a farewell gift... or something. Pretty sure Sarah got one, too (Mark-3?).

Willow'sCat
November 3rd, 2005, 02:34 AM
I think the Fourth Doctor was in the habit of giving K9s to his ex-companions as a farewell gift... or something. Pretty sure Sarah got one, too (Mark-3?).Well Sarah Jane had to have one so she could do 'K-9 and Company'. :rolleyes: I have never seen it but the name alone makes me shudder. :S

creed462
November 3rd, 2005, 11:40 AM
I think the Fourth Doctor was in the habit of giving K9s to his ex-companions as a farewell gift... or something. Pretty sure Sarah got one, too (Mark-3?).
I know that threw me the first time I say it, But I need to wait and see other eps.

Easter Lily
November 3rd, 2005, 10:07 PM

Nah... I'm pretty sure that Dr No. 4 never gave Sarah J the doggy... I can still see the scene where he drops her at where he thinks is her destination and then while she's walking along, she suddenly realises that it isn't her village of choice.

Dallista
November 3rd, 2005, 10:34 PM
Nah... I'm pretty sure that Dr No. 4 never gave Sarah J the doggy... I can still see the scene where he drops her at where he thinks is her destination and then while she's walking along, she suddenly realises that it isn't her village of choice.
I've only seen one serial with the Fourth Doctor, and that one takes place immediately after he drops off Sarah Jane, I think (Deadly Assassin) But I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he ended up giving K-9 Mark 3 to Sarah Jane as a present. Maybe that happened in K-9 and Company, then...

creed462
November 4th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Maybe so, do you think that will ever be avilable in the US

Easter Lily
November 5th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Loved The Five Doctors... okay... so it wasn't perfect and not all the Doctors were there but it was lovely to see four of them standing together bantering... and the Brigadier too...
"Splendid fellows, all of you..." :D

creed462
November 7th, 2005, 06:12 PM
So did I it was my first exposure to how many doctors there were

November 14th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I've only seen one serial with the Fourth Doctor, and that one takes place immediately after he drops off Sarah Jane, I think (Deadly Assassin) But I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he ended up giving K-9 Mark 3 to Sarah Jane as a present. Maybe that happened in K-9 and Company, then...

How Sarah Jane Smith got K-9....

K-9 & Company
After returning home from a business trip (some extended journalistic work), Sarah's aunt reveals she received a delivery. Attached to the box is a note from the Doctor. In the box is K-9 Mark III.

The Unrealized Plans for K-9 & Company which may impact the new Doctor Who series....

Possible New Series Spoilers
Eventually, the note and K-9 were supposed to be revealed as a trap set by the Master.

creed462
November 15th, 2005, 03:37 PM
They would be neat to seen played out.

November 15th, 2005, 04:27 PM
They would be neat to seen played out.

Doctor Who New Series Season 2

You may get a chance to see it in the new series.

Easter Lily
November 29th, 2005, 01:50 AM
I'm a little annoyed that we didn't get to see The Resurrection of the Daleks because apparently someone has bought the television rights to the Dalek eps and the ABC doesn't want to pay to air them... ARRGGHH... Tegan wasn't a favourite of mine but I hate not having closure with longstanding characters... She's there one minute and suddenly she isn't the next... :rolleyes:

creed462
November 29th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Whats funny in the five doctors the 1st likes the fifth, and in the three he doesn't like the 2nd and 3rd

Easter Lily
November 29th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Whats funny in the five doctors the 1st likes the fifth, and in the three he doesn't like the 2nd and 3rd
That's the amusing thing about getting them all together. Although they're all the same men, they're not... :p Does wonders for the comic aspect of the story...
I think Numbers 3 and 5 are probably the most similar

creed462
November 29th, 2005, 06:14 PM
5th one isn't that flambonet, but like the frist he likes adventure.

Easter Lily
November 30th, 2005, 03:50 AM
5th one isn't that flambonet, but like the frist he likes adventure.
They all like adventure, don't they... :p

Although No.5 isn't as flamboyant as No.3... they both give me a much stronger impression that they care about the people they come across...

*foaming at the mouth* The ABC didn't finish showing Planet of Fire... and why not?! Now Turlough's gone and I don't know how! Why do they do this... they may as well not have shown the story in the first place?!

creed462
November 30th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Ouch, Thats why I can't wait for more DVDs to come out

Willow'sCat
November 30th, 2005, 07:07 PM
They all like adventure, don't they... :p

Although No.5 isn't as flamboyant as No.3... they both give me a much stronger impression that they care about the people they come across...

*foaming at the mouth* The ABC didn't finish showing Planet of Fire... and why not?! Now Turlough's gone and I don't know how! Why do they do this... they may as well not have shown the story in the first place?!:S Didn't they? You know they are showing hour long episodes now instead of the half hour ones? I haven't had time to watch any lately so I don't know. :( Go to the BBC website they may even have a video up of it. :D

With Perri aboard it can't be too long before we see the 6th Doctor can it? Then *Squee* the 7th Sylvester. :D I so hope the ABC doesnt stop over Summer it will be the only time I can really sit down and watch them.

Easter Lily
December 1st, 2005, 01:46 AM
:S Didn't they? You know they are showing hour long episodes now instead of the half hour ones? I haven't had time to watch any lately so I don't know. :( Go to the BBC website they may even have a video up of it. :D

With Perri aboard it can't be too long before we see the 6th Doctor can it? Then *Squee* the 7th Sylvester. :D I so hope the ABC doesnt stop over Summer it will be the only time I can really sit down and watch them.
I just discovered the one hour thing tonight... :S :o *Sigh* At least I got to have closure with Peter Davison... :) I'm going to miss him, dear man... :(
Colin Baker made a brief appearance at the end. He looks to be a much more obnoxious doctor. :p

If I ever have some spare money lying around, *Dreaming, don't stop dreaming* I'll definitely get some Peter Davison DVDs...

Willow'sCat
December 5th, 2005, 12:00 AM
I just discovered the one hour thing tonight... *Sigh* At least I got to have closure with Peter Davison... I'm going to miss him, dear man...
Colin Baker made a brief appearance at the end. He looks to be a much more obnoxious doctor. :pUm, yes I think Colin is an acquired taste when it comes to his portrayal of the Doctor and that coat what were they thinking!:p Eek! I missed PD regenerate into Colin. I thought it was soon but not that soon! :(

Dallista
December 5th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Finished reading "Empire of Death" last night. My one big complaint is the same as with The Crystal Bucephalus. The authors don't mind giving the Doctor a rough time, knocking him around etc., but the Comfort is non-existent. Hello, you can't just knock him unconscious with a bleeding wound on the head, and the next scene, he's up and about, chatting with someone, and no mention at all is made about him even recovering consciousness or anything. It keeps feeling as if entire pages are missing in these books, pfffft.
It was a rather odd story, anyway. Nyssa suffering from PTSD? That seemed a bit far-fetched...

December 6th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Nyssa suffering from PTSD? That seemed a bit far-fetched... On the one hand, losing your homeworld and regularly facing death is somewhat stressful.

On the other hand (and the reason I love her character), she is the most unflinchingly calm and unnaturally rational character in the history of television. I think she was born without adrenal glands.

Makes sense...but her character is just so...calm.

creed462
December 6th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Don't forget her father was taken over by the master.

December 6th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Don't forget her father was taken over by the master.And killed her step-mother...no, wait from a mental health standpoint, that was probably the best thing that could have happened to her.

Her step-mother was a real nutjob.

creed462
December 6th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Tegan also had it pertty bad too.

December 6th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Tegan also had it pertty bad too.She lost her aunt, sure...but at least she could go home.

Nyssa was dropped off in the most depressing place in the universe.

creed462
December 6th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I don't remember when she got dropped off.

Tegan also got possesed by that snake creature twice.

December 6th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I don't remember when she got dropped off.Terminus.

Tegan also got possesed by that snake creature twice.The Mara.

Dallista
December 7th, 2005, 12:43 AM
You're all raising valid points... I haven't actually watched any of the stories involving Nyssa and Tegan before Castrovalva yet. Maybe I should, so it can give me more insight into Nyssa. I know she lost her father and her whole world, but, well, she just always came across as very strong to me. But maybe the PTSD diagnosis isn't that far-fetched, after all... She does show remarkably little reaction to Adric's death. But if we're following that line of thought... the Doctor showed even less reaction/emotion to it, IMHO.

creed462
December 7th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Maybe so, she also was controled by the Master for a short time

December 7th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Maybe so, she also was controled by the Master for a short timeOnly physically, not mentally...he didn't take over her mind or anything...he just operated her one arm.

I don't think that's too much to worry about.

December 7th, 2005, 11:56 AM
You're all raising valid points... I haven't actually watched any of the stories involving Nyssa and Tegan before Castrovalva yet. Maybe I should, so it can give me more insight into Nyssa. I know she lost her father and her whole world, but, well, she just always came across as very strong to me. But maybe the PTSD diagnosis isn't that far-fetched, after all... She does show remarkably little reaction to Adric's death. But if we're following that line of thought... the Doctor showed even less reaction/emotion to it, IMHO.Nyssa first appeared in The Keeper of Traken.

Tegan first appeared in the next story, Logopolis.

That's only two stories before the 5th Doctor, but alot happened to them there.

creed462
December 7th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I'd say they saved the universe.

December 7th, 2005, 05:20 PM
I'd say they saved the universe.Well, most of it.

That was the Doctor's fault.

creed462
December 8th, 2005, 07:16 AM
If I recall the master had his hand in on it.

December 8th, 2005, 04:53 PM
If I recall the master had his hand in on it.True, but the Doctor dispersed the key to time too quickly in The Armageddon Factor, only delaying the entropic effect as seen in Logopolis.

creed462
December 8th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Oh, well I'm going to have to see that ep again soon, good thing a friend is getting it

February 8th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I think the four-member cast could have worked well with longer story arcs and given more time for deeper characterization like in Seasons 1 & 2.

What's your opinion on this?

Metarock Sam
February 8th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I do agree with you on that matter I mean there is so much they could have done with Kamelion and alot more character development would have been sufficient. I have to admit though the characters did develop quite well but they could have gone a little bit further.

creed462
February 9th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Sadly the guy who made Kanelion died, and they could never work it

Metarock Sam
February 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Was that after the Planet of Fire. I mean he could of played a more central role in the episodes between the kings demons and planet of fire. Perhaps he could have played a role in Reveleation of the Daleks. We may never know.

February 9th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Was that after the Planet of Fire. I mean he could of played a more central role in the episodes between the kings demons and planet of fire. Perhaps he could have played a role in Reveleation of the Daleks. We may never know.Kamelion appeared in The King's Demons and The Planet of Fire. Between those two stories, he was nowhere to be found.

Metarock Sam
February 9th, 2006, 01:21 PM
wasnt he in another episode however the scene was deleted?

February 9th, 2006, 01:22 PM
wasnt he in another episode however the scene was deleted?I can't say. I never heard that.

Metarock Sam
February 9th, 2006, 01:50 PM
It was in one of the Orignal versions of the Doctor Who confidentials where they were talking at one point about K-9 and Kameilion.

February 9th, 2006, 03:40 PM
It was in one of the Orignal versions of the Doctor Who confidentials where they were talking at one point about K-9 and Kameilion.You mean the regular version of the Confidential?
I've seen the cut-down version.

creed462
February 9th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I love to get to see the full version of confidential but i don't see that happening

Metarock Sam
February 10th, 2006, 10:53 AM
You mean the regular version of the Confidential?
I've seen the cut-down version.
Yep the regular version they were so great, I miss them.

creed462
February 11th, 2006, 10:18 AM
What was the troble with the full version anyway

February 11th, 2006, 10:27 AM
What was the troble with the full version anywayThe new and classic series were licensed out to different publishers, so the full Confidential series couldn't be put on the new series DVD because it contained classic series material. So the Cut Down version was used instead.

creed462
February 11th, 2006, 12:22 PM
politics.................................................:(

Metarock Sam
February 12th, 2006, 01:48 AM
yep damn Polotics ruins everthing.

creed462
February 13th, 2006, 12:43 PM
How did the compaions leave the fifth doctor

Metarock Sam
February 13th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Lets see..
Adric- died at the end of Earthshock foiling the Cybermans attempt to destroy earth.

Nyssa- stayed on the medical transport ship at the end of Terminus

Tegan- left the Doctor at the end of Ressurection of the Daleks because she was sick of all the death.

Turlough - decides to go back to his home with the Trion Captain, Lomond (John Alkin), now that political prisoners are no longer persecuted. At the end of The Planet of Fire.

Kameilion - Destroyed by the Doctor in The Planet of Fire

Peri- stayed on till The Trial of a Timelord.

Hope that was helpfull !!! :)

creed462
February 13th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks

creed462
March 11th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Just saw Resurection of the Darleks and That was the sadest scean when Tegan left

March 11th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Just saw Resurection of the Darleks and That was the sadest scean when Tegan leftFortunately for Tegan, those constables weren't the fashion police. :D

March 11th, 2006, 05:20 PM
You've got to love JNT, the producer who left a trail of sobbing costume designers in his wake. :D

Easter Lily
March 12th, 2006, 02:57 AM
You've got to love JNT, the producer who left a trail of sobbing costume designers in his wake. :D
Peri's costumes must've been the worst... Somebody must've had the colour co-ordination part of their brain lobotomized during her entire run.

creed462
March 12th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I didn't mind the colors, In Resurection, I like how they showed the dupicates could fight the control

March 12th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Peri's costumes must've been the worst... Somebody must've had the colour co-ordination part of their brain lobotomized during her entire run.It's my understanding that JNT micro-managed some departments like costume and make-up.

creed462
March 13th, 2006, 12:23 PM
It makes you wonder how Davros survived that, I mean he got the virus, and the ship exploded, you would have thought he was gone for good

Metarock Sam
March 13th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Ahh but in Doctor Who a villan is rarely ever gone for good. With the exception of the Master but who knows. The Tardis could have spat him out....

creed462
March 13th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Ahh but in Doctor Who a villan is rarely ever gone for good. With the exception of the Master but who knows. The Tardis could have spat him out....
I sure it did, He'd give any thing Indigestion

Metarock Sam
March 13th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Unles the Doctor feeds his TARDIS with benylin.

creed462
March 13th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Unles the Doctor feeds his TARDIS with benylin.
I don't even think that would help.

Metarock Sam
March 14th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Perhaps they could have the story that since Gallifrey was destroyed the eye of harmony was destroyed releasing the master. It also explains why the TARDIS needed charging up in Boom Town.

creed462
March 14th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Maybe, It would be nice to get more explained

Willow'sCat
April 22nd, 2006, 12:31 AM
Just to let people know we have threads for all the "Doctors", and they, to all intensive purposes are about The Doctor and the actor who played him.

So please stop the repeat threads people. :)

Metarock Sam
April 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM
Oh apparantly Frontios will be this years Davidson release although this is a rumour.

creed462
April 22nd, 2006, 11:14 AM
It would be nice to get more 5th doctor releases

Mr_Fantastic
April 22nd, 2006, 11:15 AM
Oh apparantly Frontios will be this years Davidson release although this is a rumour.
That would be great! I've always loved Tractators and that is one of my favorite 5th eps. Thanks for the info.

creed462
April 22nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
I don't remember the ep, what happen in it?

April 22nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
I don't remember the ep, what happen in it?The Doctor sacrificed both hat racks. :(

Mr_Fantastic
April 22nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
I don't remember the ep, what happen in it?
The TARDIS explodes (but somehow Kameleon survives...lol) and the Doctor had to battle giant slugs with power over gravity who Turlough seems to be terrified of.

in circles
April 22nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
Frontios is awesome and I'll be very happy if that's out this year.

creed462
April 22nd, 2006, 04:20 PM
It may be intersting

Metarock Sam
April 23rd, 2006, 01:37 AM
It is a pretty good ep although id prefer Planet of Fire anyday.

creed462
April 23rd, 2006, 12:25 PM
I'd like to see more 5th releases myself, miss watching DW every week........... wait strach that I am see DW every week

Easter Lily
April 23rd, 2006, 03:19 PM
I would love to see Enlightenment on DVD... if it isn't already... It's certainly one of the more original 5th Doctor stories.

Easter Lily
July 15th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I have a question about The Five Doctors...

In this story... the Castellan is shot by the commander of the guards. My question is... shouldn't he have regenerated... isn't he a Time Lord? If not, why doesn't he regenerate? Something to do with the way he died?

July 15th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I have a question about The Five Doctors...

In this story... the Castellan is shot by the commander of the guards. My question is... shouldn't he have regenerated... isn't he a Time Lord? If not, why doesn't he regenerate? Something to do with the way he died?The staser was set to "kill". I took that to mean "permenantly kill".

Honestly, it doesn't seem necessary at all to even have such a setting...or least, it doesn't seem appropriate to use such a setting on another Gallifreyan.

Yeah, I know the Castellan was purposely killed, but it was too obvious. Who's going to buy that lame story?

creed462
July 20th, 2006, 11:37 AM
It's just a problem of someone else underestamating the Doctor

Chrysalis
August 8th, 2006, 04:59 AM
That would be great! I've always loved Tractators and that is one of my favorite 5th eps. Thanks for the info.

Turlough's expressions in that episode were hilarious!
Black Orchid is one of my favourite Davison eps (though Sarah Sutton's double looked nothing like her!), along with Four to Doomsday (despite the ridiculous bit about Tegan being able to communicate with the Aborigine!)

Chrysalis
August 8th, 2006, 05:03 AM
I would love to see Enlightenment on DVD... if it isn't already... It's certainly one of the more original 5th Doctor stories.

There were some great costumes in Enlightenment.

Metarock Sam
August 8th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Enlightenment would be released as part of the Black Guardian Trilogy (Mawdryn Undead, Terminus, Enlightenment) and that means it would be release Jan 2008 Region 2 at the earliest.

creed462
August 8th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Man, I would love to see them release more eps

creed462
November 19th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Any news on any mor fifth doctor releases