PDA

View Full Version : IMDB Style database?

Qasim
September 30th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Darren has been proposing an IMDb-style database, separate from the Omnipedia, for the Web site.So what exactly is this?

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 30th, 2005, 09:59 AM
So what exactly is this?
I'll take a guess and say that the database will include: Names of Writers, Directors, Producers, Guest (and Special Guest) stars, and cast members.

dipsofjazz
September 30th, 2005, 02:30 PM
That sounds really great. I look forward to seeing it.:)

prion
September 30th, 2005, 03:20 PM
So what exactly is this?

Just check out www.imdb.com. However, you really can't copy the exact format of the database. I'm sure IMDB would not be thrilled.

Metarock Sam
October 2nd, 2005, 01:33 PM
Thing is IMDB rarely shows pictures. I like pictures.

Verona
October 2nd, 2005, 03:13 PM
IMO this can only make a great site greater.

skritsys
November 1st, 2005, 11:45 AM
Definitely there has to be pictures. The more the merrier.

Stricken
November 3rd, 2005, 03:10 AM
Yet Darren and co have stayed away from this thread :D

David
November 3rd, 2005, 06:56 AM
The primary reason we have not embarked on this type of project is the fact that there is insufficient manpower to get it done. Sure, we may have folks raise their hand and say they'd want to do it, but believe me, there is a very different reality awaiting you when you get 50 hours into a project. It is uncanny the number of folks who will agree to a task, and then just up and dissapear when they inevitably get bored. (Seen any episode reviews lately?)

Stricken
November 3rd, 2005, 07:20 AM
No I havent :(

Elite Anubis Guard
November 5th, 2005, 09:18 AM
It would make for quite an invaluable information source. How much information have you done? I might be interesting in doing some writing and directing credits for the first season later.

knocknashee
November 7th, 2005, 04:27 PM
The primary reason we have not embarked on this type of project is the fact that there is insufficient manpower to get it done. Sure, we may have folks raise their hand and say they'd want to do it, but believe me, there is a very different reality awaiting you when you get 50 hours into a project. It is uncanny the number of folks who will agree to a task, and then just up and dissapear when they inevitably get bored. (Seen any episode reviews lately?)
Not my style David - I don't volunteer for tasks unless I'm willing to do the work...I know how annoying that is from my own point of view as a webmaster...

Wass
November 8th, 2005, 06:43 AM
It would make for quite an invaluable information source. How much information have you done? I might be interesting in doing some writing and directing credits for the first season later.
I am currently working on something like this in my spare time, it’s at a early stage at the moment the problem I have is getting the information that accurate and reliable.

knocknashee
November 8th, 2005, 10:16 AM
I am currently working on something like this in my spare time, it’s at a early stage at the moment the problem I have is getting the information that accurate and reliable.
Yeah, IMDB isn't exactly the most reliable of sources...

Kensterman
November 9th, 2005, 09:02 AM
This would definitely take a lot of work to make something like this and ensuring that the information is as accurate as possible also adds to the difficulty in the task + the amount of time needed to gather the info as well.

duffarama
November 9th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Yeah, IMDB isn't exactly the most reliable of sources...
Would anyone care to mention a database more reliable than IMDB? ;)

knocknashee
November 10th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Would anyone care to mention a database more reliable than IMDB? ;)
I can't think of anything else quite like it...though I have spotted a fair few mistakes on there in the past... ;)

duffarama
November 10th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I can't think of anything else quite like it...though I have spotted a fair few mistakes on there in the past... ;)
I'm glad we cleared that up, knocknashee. :)
I hope there is some progress soon on this issue.

Dorka
November 11th, 2005, 01:37 AM
More Pics would be great and a bit more detailed biographical datas ;)