PDA

View Full Version : Favorite SciFi Music

walterIsTheMan
September 29th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Self explanatory I think:). Theres too many choices to make it a poll, so just post it. It can be movie or TV show. Some shows like Babylon 5 or Lost in Space had different themes per season so if its one of those say which season:D. and if you have a couple that tie its ok too, just list em:p

*EDIT* - lol i forgot to say what mine was. hmm its a tough one. im just gonna list my top 5, they all sort of tie lol: Stargate, BSG(the original), Seaquest DSV, Babylon 5 Season 5, DS9

Rowana
September 30th, 2005, 06:44 AM
I've always like the music from the Stargate movie. 2001: A Space Odyssey also has some great soundtrack. Star Trek too.

Hywel
September 30th, 2005, 06:54 AM
The X-Files soundtrack is good. I wish they'd release it commercially. My favourite X-Files music comes in S8, especially in the episode "This is Not Happening". Mark Snow is a genius!

Blue Banrigh
September 30th, 2005, 07:04 AM
I like Brian Tyler's music from 'Children of Dune', especially 'House Atreides' and 'Inama Nushif'. Also fantastic are Bear McCreary's 'The Shape of Things to Come', 'Passagalica' and 'Wander My Friends'.

And the music for Serenity is good too. :D I forgot who the composer was but the music used for the first shot of the ship entering atmo is great.

Qtyled
September 30th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Obviously the main Stargate themes... but other than that the Star Wars themes are great (Imperial March will always be the universal "bad guy" theme). I also quite liked the Voyager theme.

Rowana
September 30th, 2005, 07:11 AM
I like Brian Tyler's music from 'Children of Dune', especially 'House Atreides' and 'Inama Nushif'.

Those are awesome! Very moving and dramatic.

MarshAngel
September 30th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Children of the Dune did have great music.
I liked the Star Trek Voyager theme.
I loved the X-Files theme

And although I don't like the show I do like the music from BSG.

Barca
September 30th, 2005, 08:10 AM
'A Clockwork Orange' is my favorite.
But certainly not a movie for the faint-hearted.

I liked the music for Star Wars of course, Space 1999, Lost in Space.

It seems movies are usually better than TV.
Worst has to be that 'Enterprise' theme.

Naeara
September 30th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Star Wars always had great music. I think my favourite music comes from the BSG S1 soundtrack by Bear McCreary. Gorgeous stuff. I listen to it all the time. :)

aAnubiSs
September 30th, 2005, 12:41 PM
I've always loved Earth Final Conflict's main theme, such a wonderful piece of music :)

FoolishPleasure
September 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM
BSG, Babylon 5 (different opening each year was interesting - it fit what was happening in the story arc), SG1, SGA, X-Files. All time fav - original Twilight Zone.

Easter Lily
September 30th, 2005, 01:32 PM
And the music for Serenity is good too. :D I forgot who the composer was but the music used for the first shot of the ship entering atmo is great.

David Newman... A rather rousing theme, is it not?:D

Naeara
September 30th, 2005, 06:11 PM

This I can't wait to hear! :D When I saw the film in May the special effects and music weren't quite finished.

Eoin
October 2nd, 2005, 08:24 AM
The stargate's theme songs are the BEST...cant beat them :D

Wyrminarrd
October 2nd, 2005, 10:27 AM
Star wars has the all time best music of any sci-fi.
Matrix also hada great soundtrack.
The stargate theme music is always good.
The music from Dune (1984) was great.
Farscapes intro music.

Plenty of other good ones but these are the first five that come to mind.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
October 2nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Stargate (Both shows: 60 sec.), new BSG (U.K. and U.S. themes), Farscape (Seasons 3 & 4), Buffy (Seasons 3-7), Doctor Who (the new one). And that's all I got for now.

LaCroix
October 2nd, 2005, 11:20 AM
For Sci-Fi

2001 and 2010, Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate,...etc.

For Fantasy

Forever Knight (but of course).

Metarock Sam
October 2nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
Stargate movie, SG-1 and SGA themes rule the roost however the Star Wars themes are good too. Other fave themes include Red Dwarf and Doctor Who. The'yre great :D

walterIsTheMan
May 25th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I was just rewatching the Babylon 5 series for the first time in awhile and I just had to add this to my list of favorites - the closing music from "Sleeping in Light", the final episode of the series. It is played during the station's destruction and the closing credits. Very emotional. It's online here:
http://www.babylonsounds.com/media/staffel5/sil_abspann_instrumental.mp3

Worth a listen even if you've never seen the show, but it's better with the show, because you can see and hear and feel the ending of a great story all at once :).

McClance
May 26th, 2006, 01:52 AM
My favorite Sci-fi themes:

Babylon 5 - I like all of them, but Seasons 4 and 5 are my favorite. "Sleeping in Light" theme was BEYOND great!

FarScape - Again, I love both, but Seasons 3 & 4 are my favorite

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Seasons 4-7

Star Trek: Enterprise - Mirror Universe

Flight of the Navigator theme

McClance
May 26th, 2006, 01:56 AM
I was just rewatching the Babylon 5 series for the first time in awhile and I just had to add this to my list of favorites - the closing music from "Sleeping in Light", the final episode of the series. It is played during the station's destruction and the closing credits. Very emotional. It's online here:
http://www.babylonsounds.com/media/staffel5/sil_abspann_instrumental.mp3

Worth a listen even if you've never seen the show, but it's better with the show, because you can see and hear and feel the ending of a great story all at once :).

That is beautiful... :rolleyes:

Agent_Dark
May 26th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Star Wars obviously. Stargate has some nice music too, however I haven't been that impressed by the music in the later seasons. Early season music was the best.

Battlestar Galactica (new series) and Firefly also have some great scores. And while its not SciFi, The Lord of the Rings has to have some of the best original music ever ;)

kmiller1610
May 26th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Star Trek Next Gen which was also the sound track to one of the early Trek movies.....

Toresica
May 26th, 2006, 09:09 AM
The Stargates, in general, have pretty good music.

BSG's music almost made me stop watching the show - both the main theme and the background music.

I like the themes for all the modern Treks (VOY and ENT in particular).

Firefly's theme grew on me, but I still can't stand the other music in the series.

aaobuttons
May 26th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Well in my opinion the music was just a reworked version of the music he wrote for The Phantom just with a western twang. Not that I didn't like the music though, it fit well... and hey, I liked The Phantom music too.

One of my favorites not listed already is from a movie called Lifeforce from the mid-80's. It was a Mancini/Kamen collaboration, and always wows me when I hear it.

Trek_Girl42
May 26th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Battlestar Galactica- I love the drums and whatever other instruments they use (not to knowledgeable), I'm not as big of a fan of the massive orchestral scores.

I especially love the music during the teaser of Lay Down Your Burdens Part I -it was wonderfully good. :) And the Baltar's Dream theme. And I love the cylon theme.
Can't wait for the season two soundtrack to come out.

Firefly- great music, great theme.

david2708
May 28th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Most distinctive score I think would be Lost In Space. I don't mean the opening theme but general motifs used throughout the show. And of course it was all wriiten by the immortal John Williams of Star wars fame.

Commander Ivanova
May 28th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Blake's 7, anyone?

Morgania
May 29th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Stargate has some nice music. And I liked the Star Trek Voyager theme alot too.

jebus
May 30th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Futurama's theme music!!!

nebulan
August 7th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Well, I love so many... scifi soundtracks might just be my favorite genre.
I agree, the old Dune had awesome music, so did Bab5 and Farscape, especially love the stargate movie music as well as independence day, I love the new and old battlestar music actually, hehe. I love the star trek movie music from II, III, IV, VI, VIII and IX! snif* I miss Jerry Goldsmith. But Joel's doing a great job following in his footsteps! other movies, Contact, Fifth Element, close encounters of the 3rd kind, abyss, back to the future (does that count as scifi?), Xmen I, and one great scifi soundtrack no one has mentioned yet... ET!!!! oh, and star wars music is the greatest thing to happen to this planet.

Spacegirlnz
August 8th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Hmm...

I like Star Trek Voyager, Stargate, Atlantis, the Stargate film, ST:Insurrection, and the X-Files. They're all pretty good themes. Atlantis is actually the ring tone on my cell phone atm. w00t!

metabog
August 9th, 2006, 07:48 AM
The Stargate soundtrack is amazing. I can recognize it anywhere, even if it's not one of the main songs, I know most of the musical themes. Whenever I hear it out of context it makes my heart jump. :D

lucylou
August 13th, 2006, 03:50 AM
I had a music cd of some Babylon 5 songs which I absolutely adored. I also had a tape of Mark Snow music from the X-Files called The Truth In The Light I think it was and i absolutely loved the music on that. He's awesome. Bear McCreary does some awesome tunes for Battlestar Galactica too.

Spacegirlnz
August 15th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Oh, I thought of something else. Is Buffy the Vampire Slayer counted as sci fi? Cause I love the Once More With Feeling episode, with the musical songs. And also Hush, which is the episode where their voices are taken. The music in that is amazing. And then I also like the suit from the end of Restless, and the suit from the end of The Gift. But I dunno if Buffy counts as sci fi. It's deffinately fantasy.

Oh well.

Major Gambit
August 20th, 2006, 05:37 PM
stargate has incredible music i think

i dont know if POTC counts, but they do too :D

Ancient 1
August 22nd, 2006, 03:51 AM
The classics are always a winner: A Space Oddyssey & The Star Wars themes. :jack:

Daedalus-304
August 31st, 2006, 11:12 PM
Movie - Star Wars has one of the best soundtracks ever, especally Duel of Fates and Imperial March.

TV - Stargate Atlantis

Video Game - Halo, it has one of the best soundtracks ever, I hope the movie's is very similar.

RuleBritannia
September 7th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I've always liked the tune at the start of 'Star Trek: First Contact'. And ofcourse there's '2001: A Space Odyssey' the music from that film is everywhere.

MY 400th POST!

Chricton
September 7th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I hate all the generic orchestra and symphonic pieces most Scifi series & movies use.

The only real scores I like are Children of Dune and the new BSG OST's. The rest make me cringe.

RuleBritannia
September 7th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I hate all the generic orchestra and symphonic pieces most Scifi series & movies use.

The only real scores I like are Children of Dune and the new BSG OST's. The rest make me cringe.
It is ironic how a futuristic television show can use classical music

Chricton
September 7th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I don't know if I'd call it "classical", but yeah, both have music that is "set" in the past moreso than the swooping grandeur most scifi cues consist of.

Anubis69
October 8th, 2006, 04:24 AM
... Is Final Fantasy technically sci-fi or definitely fantasy? If it's sci-fi, i loved FFVIII, or Advent Children. That stuff is amazing.

CeeKay Sheppard
October 8th, 2006, 09:40 AM
My favorite sci-fi music is definitely the Star Wars themes, particularly the Imperial March. I also like the themes to both Stargates and Star Trek TNG, DS9, and VGR.

RTHKI26
October 8th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I love all the music in Star Wars. Especially the Imperial March. Also obviously Stargate music is awesome too.

tsaxlady
October 9th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Okay I'm going to go with main title theme's only

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (Yes it is very cheesey SciFi but the main theme is great)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The First Star Trek Movie Theme

Star Wars "New Hope" main Theme

and because I love Strauss - 2001 A Space Odyssey