Question about TNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about TNG

That thing that Wesley was doing with the other 3 ppl (another human, a Vulcan and a race I don't remember) was that just to get into Starfleet Academy. if so does everyone that wants to go, have to do that or is it to get some sort of special status
    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
    sigpic

I believe since there is such a demand from so many worlds to attend starfleet they make the selection process difficult.
    Daniel: You..stupid son of a *****
    Jack: Hey, you're welcome...

Comment

anyone can enlist and join a starship crew, however to go to the Academy and become an officer i believe you need to go through some selection process which Wesley did. its possible that there were just a few open places by the time Wesley applied so he had to go through the the tests. others (such as Nog) didn't have any trouble and he isn't from a federation world

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade
        anyone can enlist and join a starship crew, however to go to the Academy and become an officer i believe you need to go through some selection process which Wesley did. its possible that there were just a few open places by the time Wesley applied so he had to go through the the tests. others (such as Nog) didn't have any trouble and he isn't from a federation world
        That might have something to do with the Battle of Wolf 359 and the Dominion war. After all, the Federation lost plenty of people in those. Creating a need for fresh blood. Also, Nog still need a letter of recommendation from Sisko.
        sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

It was the Starfleet Academy entrance exam or the 24th century version of the SAT.

Comment

I thought all Starfleet personel were officers that had to go through starfleet academy and pass. I'm pretty sure.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Enlisted personnel like Miles O'Brien didn't go to the Academy. He said so once.

Comment

First there are a lot more enlisted personnel than officers in Starfleet. It's just that the writers were well officer orientated.
                Second the academy would be pretty hard to get into. Similar to getting into the various American military academies. Children of officers, people who get really high test scores, and relatives of politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
                  It was the Starfleet Academy entrance exam or the 24th century version of the SAT.
                  id say more like the ASVAB

Comment

I always thought that for a sizable fleet or several hundred ships, the turnover rate would be such that choosing them in groups of four was rather absurd. There would have had to have been a high volume recuitment program somewhere.
                    The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Working...
                    X