PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Star Trek "Bad Guys"

Stricken
September 28th, 2005, 07:59 AM
I seem to be starting a lot of threads with the same title, but know Star Trek has its own space on GateWorld, I think this needs to be brought up, which race/person is your favourite from any serries, I know the Borg may be mentioned a few times...

the Fifth Race
September 28th, 2005, 09:20 AM
In no paticular order except my #1 bad guy....

1) Lore

Soran
Borg
Romulans
Dominion
Breen
Cardassians
Hirogens
Kazan
Vidiians (these guys spooked me the most with there harvesting of bodyparts to fight the phage!)
Kolarens
Xindi (reptilians in paticular)
Expanse builders

Where are your choices S.G.C.?

Stryd0r
September 28th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Dukat and Weyoun! What a lovely pair they make. Although Damar and Weyoun is almost as good.

Jeffer
September 28th, 2005, 01:36 PM
heres my favs

Romulans
Dominion
Vidiians
Borg
Hirogens

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 28th, 2005, 03:32 PM
The Borg, they sound like the Ori when their in a Prior.
Klingons

Wyrminarrd
September 28th, 2005, 04:31 PM
You really should make people have to state their top three or something, no point in having people just recite them all :D

My top three:

1. Q
2. Lore
3. Borg (TNG only)

DigiFluid
September 28th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Seeing as I don't take voyager to be canonical Trek, I will say the Borg are my favorite ST villain.

The Dominion is a close second.

Morbo
September 28th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Shinzon was the ultimate badass.

jree
September 28th, 2005, 06:39 PM
1. The Dominion- The changelings could shapeshift into just about anything. The Vorta did what they were told, and were totally manipulative. The Jem Hadar, genetically engineered soldiers with an addiction to ketrecel white, it was awesome how they were developed on the show. The Jem hadar were a kind of strange samurai totally loyal to their masters except the changelings didn't really trust them, thus the white.
2. The Borg- Dude what can I say they are the Borg.
3. The Romulans- Very complicated people, never know what they are going to do.

newtrekker
September 28th, 2005, 07:12 PM
The Dominion and the Borg would be mine.

Stricken
September 29th, 2005, 01:32 AM
In no paticular order except my #1 bad guy....

1) Lore

Soran
Borg
Romulans
Dominion
Breen
Cardassians
Hirogens
Kazan
Vidiians (these guys spooked me the most with there harvesting of bodyparts to fight the phage!)
Kolarens
Xindi (reptilians in paticular)
Expanse builders

Where are your choices S.G.C.?

My choices, well pretty much all that have been mentioned, the Xindi were good, could have gone further but good, to tell the truth there have been to many so its kinda hard, the Dominion were good also...

-Major Woody
October 8th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Species 8472.

warmbeachbrat
October 17th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Khan

Brigadier General Pants
October 17th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Weyoun. He could switch from obsequious and flattering to cold and dominant in a heartbeat. What a guy.

Brigadier General Pants
October 17th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Species 8472.

The species themselves were well envisaged, but don't you feel 'fluidic space' was lame? I mean, what's next, a Cheese Universe?

rac76
October 18th, 2005, 03:26 AM
For me..

The Borg-the early stuff in TNG and not in Voyager. I thought they were scary. Then at the end in Voyager, I felt that they were over used and boring.

Q-He's not scary, but then again he's the one that showed us the Borg.

knocknashee
October 18th, 2005, 07:14 AM
The Dominion or The Borg...that said, I thought some of the TNG storylines with the Romulans were good as well...

hyzmarca
October 18th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Khaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!

helio9
October 18th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Q-He's not scary, but then again he's the one that showed us the Borg.
Yeah but apparently the Borg were planning to invade regardless. Even though several people lost their lives (on the Enterprise) in that ep, it turns out that the Borg were planning to invade regardless (The triangulation thing sent out by the drones found on earth on 'Enterprise' from the movie First Contact), and had Q not made us aware of them, and how they worked, Starfleet may have been even more unprepared for them.
Q never seems to actually do any harm, he just screws arounf a lot, and in that case apparently helped us out.

Does anyone remember whether the Vediians ever managed to cure the Phage on VOY?

Brigadier General Pants
October 18th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Yeah but apparently the Borg were planning to invade regardless. Even though several people lost their lives (on the Enterprise) in that ep, it turns out that the Borg were planning to invade regardless (The triangulation thing sent out by the drones found on earth on 'Enterprise' from the movie First Contact), and had Q not made us aware of them, and how they worked, Starfleet may have been even more unprepared for them.
Q never seems to actually do any harm, he just screws arounf a lot, and in that case apparently helped us out.

Good point about Q.

Also, in 'regeneration' on ENT, the Borg managed to get off a subspace signal to the Delta Quad. Apparently it was going to take '200 years' for it to reach the DQ.

helio9
October 18th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Yeah thats what I was talking about. I didn't remember what they called the homing beacon they sent.

Brigadier General Pants
October 18th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Yeah thats what I was talking about. I didn't remember what they called the homing beacon they sent.

I believe it was called 'Borg Homing Beacon' with the standard message: Come kick these dudes' buttcheeks Pronto.

helio9
October 18th, 2005, 11:52 PM
The Borg story turned out to be rather convoluted because of all the time travel first (relatively, I guess) the borg did it in First contact, then Janeway did it (and did a better job I might add).
That ENT ep was interesting to watch, cause those borg were from the 24th century, far more advanced than anything on earth.

Brigadier General Pants
October 19th, 2005, 03:43 PM
That ENT ep was interesting to watch, cause those borg were from the 24th century, far more advanced than anything on earth.

The Borg had got a bit lame by the time VOY's Endgame came around. It was nice to see them being scary again.

Stricken
October 20th, 2005, 05:05 AM
True, but with no more serries being made at the moment I dont see it happening!

Brigadier General Pants
October 20th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Romulans.

One word: Warbird.

helio9
October 20th, 2005, 11:32 PM
The Borg had got a bit lame by the time VOY's Endgame came around. It was nice to see them being scary again.
They were still scary, it's just that...Janeway cheated. I've mentioned this before. Any war can be won if someone from the future comes and gives you technology. We'd be speaking german if Hitler had F-15s and M1s. (Err...no offence to any Germans).

Brigadier General Pants
October 20th, 2005, 11:53 PM
They were still scary, it's just that...Janeway cheated. I've mentioned this before. Any war can be won if someone from the future comes and gives you technology. We'd be speaking german if Hitler had F-15s and M1s. (Err...no offence to any Germans).

And that wasn't the first time that had happened in VOY. Remember, in Future's End, apparently the computer revolution began because of that 29th century ship that crashed in the 1967. Those VOY writers just keep cheating...

Ascended Times.2
October 21st, 2005, 12:40 AM
I'm gonna have to say my top three would be

Romulans
Bree (badass' that almost won the dominion war for the dominion)
And, of course, the Borg (TNG only, they were kickass then, not like in Voyager...)

Brigadier General Pants
October 21st, 2005, 07:01 AM
I'm gonna have to say my top three would be

Romulans
Bree (badass' that almost won the dominion war for the dominion)
And, of course, the Borg (TNG only, they were kickass then, not like in Voyager...)

I wish they would have a series delving into the breen more, maybe the Tholians even? Some established, but under-utilised, baddies...

Frinky
October 21st, 2005, 07:09 AM
Have to love the Romulans, and who could forget the ridgeless klingons in TOS? I, of course, liked the Borg, but also felt they lost their scariness in Voyager. Sure, I still liked the Borg plotlines, but it became more of a 'normal' situation when the borg came around and they lost their intimidating nature, which IMO was their greatest quality.

skritsys
October 21st, 2005, 07:38 AM
Romulans, Klingons, and the Borg were the three best in the Trek universe. Voyager was kind of more like Lost in Space.

Smegger56
October 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM
For me, the ultimate Star Trek villian was KAHN. He is the Darth Vader of Star Trek.

Have to love the Romulans, and who could forget the ridgeless klingons in TOS? I, of course, liked the Borg, but also felt they lost their scariness in Voyager. Sure, I still liked the Borg plotlines, but it became more of a 'normal' situation when the borg came around and they lost their intimidating nature, which IMO was their greatest quality.

Couldn't agree more.

The Borg are great, but as soon as they went to Voyager, they became crap. Voyager ruined the Borg for me. In TNG, they where menacing, scary, and would never negotiate and where very hard to beat. In Voyager, they didn't have these things i felt.

Q... i don't see him as a villian. He's more of a mix of good and bad.

The Dominion could have been so mush more. They where introduced great... but it sort of went downhill for them, and the final battle sucked.

There are others, but for me, KAHN is the ultimate Star Trek villian. The perfect opposite for James T. Kirk. One thing i wish they did with Star Trek 2 was to give Kirk and Kahn a head to head fist fight.

But hey, still a great movie, and the best Star Trek villian by far

As Kirk would say: "KAAAAHHHHNNNN.......... KAAAAHHHHNNNN."

skritsys
October 21st, 2005, 04:21 PM
Even I cannot argue with that logic. Kirk and Khan are what kept the Star Trek universe going. If that movie had not done well there would have never been a continuing series.

SimilarCadence
October 21st, 2005, 04:33 PM
Top three individuals: Gul Dukat, Weyoun and Lore....

Top three enemy groups: the Borg (TNG), the Dominion and the Romulans....

skritsys
October 21st, 2005, 04:38 PM
ah yes, the infamous shapeshifters and the jem'hadar.

Giantevilhead
October 21st, 2005, 05:21 PM
The Dominion, where the Dominion leads we shall follow.

skritsys
October 21st, 2005, 05:24 PM
What was really cool was how the Dominion infiltrated the Klingon Empire and the Federation and forced ended up forcing everyone to be "tested". That was when DS9 really got good.

Smegger56
October 22nd, 2005, 05:49 AM
The dominion cou;d've been GREAT. But i felt DS9 didn't use their full potential. There where moments of brilliance from them, but not enough to make them the best villians IMO.

Brigadier General Pants
October 23rd, 2005, 03:40 PM
Best bad guy: Ricardo Montalban's pectoral muscles. Those things could have had their own series.

skritsys
October 24th, 2005, 06:58 AM
ROFLMAO, and those were his, no special prosthetics or anything else was added. source: TWOK DVD, disc two.

warmbeachbrat
October 24th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Best bad guy: Ricardo Montalban's pectoral muscles. Those things could have had their own series.

I remember reading an article in People magazine after the movie came out. They had a picture of Ricardo Montalban (shirtless) lifting a big weight and I remember being quite...impressed with how he looked. I thought he was pretty fine for a 60 year old guy.

Actually, Khan wound up being the perfect foil for Kirk. He was intelligent, strong, and had such a commanding presence. The menace he could convey with just a gesture really impressed me. And Kirk, whose best job was "exploring new worlds...going where no man had gone before," was able to use every ounce of his training, courage, and ability to command loyalty and respect from those who served with him, to defeat Khan. It really was a clash of the titans. I don't think there's been a better protagonist/antagonist pairing in all of the Star Trek movies.

*happy sigh* Wrath of Khan just really revitalized the franchise after a disastrous first movie (Star Trek: The Motion Picture).

Edit: Heh, I should have read the thread--people before me have already made some of these points. Thanks!

Brigadier General Pants
October 24th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Edit: Heh, I should have read the thread--people before me have already made some of these points. Thanks!

Nevertheless, you put it very succintly.

skritsys
October 26th, 2005, 08:50 AM
And do not forget that Montalban and Shatner never had the opportunity to work together...someone else was reading their lines to each other and they had to act completely as though they were in the same room.

Smegger56
October 28th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Oh god yeah. Wow, what actors. Kahn and Kirk RULE.

skritsys
November 1st, 2005, 06:28 AM
Commander Kruge was also a good villain for Kirk in ST:III:TSFS too. Christopher Lloyd definitely gave us a memorable impression of Klingons for the rest of time.

Brigadier General Pants
November 1st, 2005, 08:15 PM
I actually thought despite Nemesis being a bit of a dud, Shinzon was great.

Stricken
November 3rd, 2005, 05:59 AM
My thread lives on !!! :D

skritsys
November 3rd, 2005, 06:04 AM
Shinzon was poorly written IMO. The acting was beautifully done though.
What cracked me up most about Nemesis was when they introduced the Remans. Ron Perlman is a great actor (Hellboy), but basing the Remans on Max Shreck's Nosferatu was too hilarious for me. I actually laughed in the theater when I saw it the first time.

dosed150
November 3rd, 2005, 09:53 AM
What cracked me up most about Nemesis was when they introduced the Remans. Ron Perlman is a great actor (Hellboy), but basing the Remans on Max Shreck's Nosferatu was too hilarious for me. I actually laughed in the theater when I saw it the first time.

i cant remember exactly bit in another sci-fi series i watch there where aliens identical to remans

skritsys
November 3rd, 2005, 09:55 AM
B5? RedDwarf?

dosed150
November 3rd, 2005, 11:01 AM
B5? RedDwarf?

i dont watch either of them

Brigadier General Pants
November 3rd, 2005, 08:11 PM

I couldn't work out the logic of not killing a clone of Picard once they didn't need him.

SG1Commander
August 4th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I'm just curious who everyone's favorite villain from the movies is. Personally, I like Nero the best, since, of all the villains, he's the one that came the closest to actually destroying Earth. The runner-up would have to be Khan

nx01a
August 4th, 2009, 03:31 PM
...Nero? Seriously. Nero?:o
I lean more towards the Borg Queen, the female shapeshifter and Annorax from VOY's classic 'Year of Hell'. Q gets an honourable mention since he was never really a villain. I consider him an anti-hero.
For a single favourite, I'd have to go with the Founders, the female shapeshifter in particular. They/she took on the entire Alpha Quadrant with total disdain for all life but their own. Brute force and subterfuge were never mixed so brilliantly.

SG1Commander
August 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM
...Nero? Seriously. Nero?:o
I lean more towards the Borg Queen, the female shapeshifter and Annorax from VOY's classic 'Year of Hell'. Q gets an honourable mention since he was never really a villain. I consider him an anti-hero.
For a single favourite, I'd have to go with the Founders, the female shapeshifter in particular. They/her took on the entire Alpha Quadrant with total disdain for all life but their own. Brute force and subterfuge were never mixed so brilliantly.

Okay, how's this. In terms of actually coming the closet to achieving their goals, I pick Nero. Because, he did destroy Vulcan, and was almost ready to destroy Earth when Spock blew up the rig.

But in terms of most dangerous villain, I have to agree with you about the Borg Queen, because she was just evil.

jelgate
August 4th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Its a toss up between Kai Winn or Female Shapeshifter

Specter177
August 4th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I always loved to hate Dukat.

nx01a
August 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM
For that same reason, SG1Commander, he ranks as my least favourite. It was one of my two complaints with the new movie.

nx01a
August 4th, 2009, 04:42 PM
There was a thread from 2005? Wow, :D
For reference purposes...
The best Trek villains. (http://stars.ign.com/articles/977/977989p1.html)
The worst Trek villains. (http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/07/the_10_lamest_star_trek_villains.php)

the fifth man
August 4th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Best "bad guy" from the shows, IMO, is the Borg. No doubt about it. As for the movies, I would have to go with Khan.

A_PophisandhisFran
August 5th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I'd say Khan (easily for the movies), for the series... maybe the Borg, the Klingons and Romulans are classic too. Gul Dukat, I don't know, there's quite a few good Trek villains.

Karhedron
August 6th, 2009, 08:19 AM
My favorite ST 'bad guy' would be Weyoun.
A perfect mix of sarcasm and being dangerous. :P

DigiFluid
August 6th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Seeing as I don't take voyager to be canonical Trek, I will say the Borg are my favorite ST villain.

I'd like to revise this: the Borg and Dominion are my favourite bad guy races.

My favourite bad guy is Khan.

pinielf
August 7th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Cardassians. Dukat and Weyoun

P-90_177
August 7th, 2009, 02:47 AM
The cardassians for me. Purely because they are really the most believable bad guys. I mean they were a once proud race, fallen from grace who were given an out and a chance for greatness again which some slimey politicians took. Meanwhile their citezens were still shown to be good, honest people. Reminded me alot of Nazi Germany in many ways. With the Dominion serving the role as the unrelenting Nazi force and the cardassians who were the German people, kinda just along for the ride.

Alan Wake
August 9th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Do AU bad guys count? I think archer made a pretty good bad guy :) although, so did janeway.

Chel Nak
August 9th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Does anyone remember whether the Vediians ever managed to cure the Phage on VOY?

According to the Voyager ep "Think Tank" featuring Jason Alexander, they came up with a cure for the phage.

Giantevilhead
August 16th, 2009, 04:33 AM
The Dominion is great. It's like the anti-Federation. Unlike the other villains, the Dominion's main goal is to defeat and/or control its enemies psychologically rather than by force. The Federation may have survived the Dominion war but the Dominion still has a pretty good chance of taking over the Alpha Quadrant in the long run. The Dominion has vast amounts of resources that it can use to regain a foothold in the Alpha Quadrant. The Founders are perfectly capable of benevolence when it suits them. They certainly gave a lot of resources to the Cardassians for joining. They also gave Bajor a bunch of industrial replicators just to improve their reputation.

The destruction of Romulus is a perfect opportunity for the Dominion. There's a lot that the Dominion could do to help the Romulans and I doubt that the Romulans can afford to refuse aid. The Dominion would easily gain an ally and possible future member.

Colonel Rebel
September 12th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Gul Dukat was the best villian in my opinion.

The Borg, Xindi, Klingon, Suliban, and Dominion are all great too.

Captain Obvious
September 16th, 2009, 06:40 PM

how does voyager violate canon?

my choices-

#1- Lore ( brent spiner is an amazing actor)
#2- Weyounn/Khan Noonien Singh
#3- Seska
#4- Thomas Riker/Ro Laren
#5- The think tank

jelgate
September 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM

my choices-

#1- Lore ( brent spiner is an amazing actor)
#2- Weyounn/Khan Noonien Singh
#3- Seska
#4- Thomas Riker/Ro Laren
#5- The think tank

It doesn't. Despite what fans might think they don't dictate canon. The writers do. How do I say this? DigiFluid doesn't like VOY and ENT so he calls it non-canon

DigiFluid
September 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I don't mean in the same way as Enterprise.

I mean voyager was so disgustingly, insultingly bad that I refuse to acknowledge its existence in the 'real' Star Trek timeline. If by some bizarre twist of fate I were placed in the position of running the franchise a la Berman, my first announcement would be that ent/voy/nemesis took place in an alternate timeline to the real one.

But I digress.

I'd like to revise this: the Borg and Dominion are my favourite bad guy races.

My favourite bad guy is Khan.

This is the point of this thread.

Saquist
September 17th, 2009, 03:41 AM
One of my Favorite Bad Guys was Roga Danar, the ex soldier from the Angosians that got over on the Enterprise in TNG. He was smart intelligent and highly motivated.

I wrote him into my story. I thought there was no one like him in Star Trek.

DigiFluid
September 17th, 2009, 09:39 AM
One of my Favorite Bad Guys was Roga Danar, the ex soldier from the Angosians that got over on the Enterprise in TNG. He was smart intelligent and highly motivated.

I wrote him into my story. I thought there was no one like him in Star Trek.

He was pretty cool. Not cool enough to be my favourite, but cool just the same :)

nx01a
September 17th, 2009, 10:40 PM
And the explanation for his abilities... This is fine:

Troi: "He has been programmed to be the perfect soldier. He can be absolutely normal, but whenever a danger is perceived, the programming clicks in and takes over. Intelligence, memory, strength, reflexes -- all become enhanced. He is conditioned to survive at any cost."

This... this makes me laugh:

Crusher: "He's been through intense psychological manipulation as well as biochemical modifications. His cellular structure has been been significantly altered... They used a combination of cryptobiolin, triclenidil, macrospentol... and a few things I don't even recognize. One of the new substances in his cellular structure even shields electrical impulses." :D

maneth
September 18th, 2009, 05:55 AM
top three individuals: Gul dukat, weyoun and lore....

Top three enemy groups: The borg (tng), the dominion and the romulans....

qft!