PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis Not Shot on Film!

Heimdal
July 8th, 2004, 10:19 AM
I notice from the preview on the Volume 37 DVD that Stargate Atlantis is being shot on Panavision's 24P High Definition digital cameras and not on 35mm film like SG-1. An interesting move but sadly the greater depth of field of HD gives the material a more "video" look. It also appears that the HD material included on the DVD is ungraded and may well look quite different when the show airs. It's an interesting move considering that SG-1 started out on 16mm and then moved to 35mm.

Ugly Pig
July 8th, 2004, 10:25 AM
You are correct. I believe SG-1 season 8 will be shot on HD as well, although I am not 100% certain.

Anthro Girl
July 8th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Very cool. Can't wait to see it. Now I really hope it doesn't suck! ;)

When will SciFi start broadcasting it in HD, is what I want to know. We could upgrade to the HD receiver, but there isn't anything on TV right now that I'm dying to see in HD...

Heimdal
July 8th, 2004, 11:02 AM
I'm guessing that this move is partly as a result of the two shows being shot concurrently and the additional demands this places on the VFX guys at Rainmaker and the other houses that the show uses. Not having to process the film overnight and then telecine to tape and disk doubtless saves valuable time. Hope it doesn't adversely affect the look of the non-VFX shots though, particularly exteriors with characteristic Canadian bright overcast skies! Night-time stuff should be a snip, though. We'll just have to wait and see. New cast, new look, new galaxy, they're taking a lot of risks. I really hope the show doesn't tank. Personally, I can't picture a Stargate without Jack and Sam!

David85
July 8th, 2004, 11:15 AM
The move prob is because in America the Federal Government said that most (all?) chanels need to be showing in HD by the end of 2008.

Chevron_nine
July 8th, 2004, 11:29 AM
The move prob is because in America the Federal Government said that most (all?) chanels need to be showing in HD by the end of 2008.
That has never been said. It surprises me how many people have been misinformed. It simply states that all channels must be broadcast DIGITALLY. The stations have the choice of broadcasting in standard definition digital TV or HDTV. And also, DVD is not in any way equivalent or even close to HDTV. DVD is almost standard definition, so anything on SG-1 DVD's won't be HD.

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 11:35 AM
It doesn't really matter, just that the quality is higher quality! :)

Heimdal
July 8th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Before this shifts waayyyy off topic, although the series is being shot HD at 1080x1920 it's still being down-converted to SD (standard definition) for broadcast. The benefits to production in the short-term represent a faster turnaround than film AND in the longer term they have an original that is future proof (up to a point). Equally, the picture remains SD on DVD's at 720x480 (NTSC) and 720x576 (PAL). The recent ratification of H.264 as the way that DVD's will be encoded in the future rather than MPEG-2 is a move toward HD-DVD but currently Hollywood are uncomfortable about providing an even higher quality retail product until issues of piracy and DRM are resolved.

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 11:54 AM
I agree. The resolution and special effects will just look a bit better

Mio
July 8th, 2004, 11:58 AM
currently Hollywood are uncomfortable about providing an even higher quality retail product until issues of piracy and DRM are resolved.
Which doesn't make any sense in my mind, of course. People will pirate whatever is available, irregardless of quality.

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 12:01 PM
I agree. You'll NEVER be able to stop pirate copies and I mean NEVER. You wouldn't believe how easy they are to get hold of in the UK and I have to say, the quality of them is becoming a hell of a lot better this year. They're even adding stuff such as animated menus and scene selections

Mio
July 8th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Personally, I see high quality as a good antipiracy measure.

If the media used by the industry can't be written to in a home PC, then the people creating the pirate copies would have to reduce the quality. And if you really wanna see the movie, you'll get the better quality version.

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 12:34 PM
I do agree, however, the resolution of pirated copies have improved tremendously over the past two years alone. Now, something like Shrek 2 has all the features built in like behind the scenes footage and how it was made and the actual movie, almost as high quality as a genuine DVD. The interactive menu, animations, special features, scene selection and programming that you can do. I have to admit, if they want to stop piracy they need to release the films at the same in EVERY country. This will reduce pirate copies by a large percentage, but I do say not totally

Heimdal
July 8th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Which doesn't make any sense in my mind, of course. People will pirate whatever is available, irregardless of quality.

Hollywood bosses have never been big on sense, particularly when it comes to matters of developing technology. I cite the following example:

When George Lucas sold Pixar to Steve Jobs in the late 1980's it was because he "saw no future or application for 3D computer generated imagery in motion pictures"! And that's a fact, in spite of whatever revisionist version he now maintains. (Remember that he now has Greedo shooting first!) Bare in mind also, that Photoshop 1 was developed by John and Thomas Knoll while working for ILM and yet Adobe are the one's who made the millions. What happened there?

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Who knows. But the fact remains that it will be difficult to control. Like I said, they are easily available to get anywhere in the UK. Apparently, we have some of the biggest pirate copying industries

Heimdal
July 8th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Personally, I see high quality as a good antipiracy measure...
...And if you really wanna see the movie, you'll get the better quality version.

I wish that what you say were true but look at music. Nobody would claim that MP3 is the same quality as 44.1khz CD but look at it's prevalence today.

Fact is that a lot of people really can't SEE quality they way officionado's of all types can. I watch TV and can spot stuff shot on Film, Digibeta, MiniDV and so forth. When I say "Hey! They shot that on tape!" my Mum asks "How can you tell?" Truth is a lot of people just can't see it and that's to the Pirate's advantage!

Ugly Pig
July 8th, 2004, 01:08 PM
When George Lucas sold Pixar to Steve Jobs in the late 1980's it was because he "saw no future or application for 3D computer generated imagery in motion pictures"!
LOL! That's hilarious coming from George Lucas!! :D

Torley
July 8th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Yeah, well all visionaries have limits too ya know. Like the time Edison warred with Tesla over a certain method of power, and even Bill Gates and the infamous 640k :)

Anthro Girl
July 8th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Fact is that a lot of people really can't SEE quality they way officionado's of all types can. I watch TV and can spot stuff shot on Film, Digibeta, MiniDV and so forth. When I say "Hey! They shot that on tape!" my Mum asks "How can you tell?" Truth is a lot of people just can't see it and that's to the Pirate's advantage!
That's true. I catch some of it, but my husband - afficionado and former photographer that he is - catches a lot more. In addition, ever since trading up to a HDtv, progressive scan DVD and DVR, I can barely stand to watch anything on video tape. Sadly, the Season 7 eps had to come off the DVR, so I'm stuck with VHS until the DVDs come out. :(

It blows my mind that someone would pay real money, albeit not as much money, to watch a DVD of a video shot by a handheld digicam in a theater. I don't even watch my vacation videos! ;) I agree that they (the studios) will have to do more worldwide releases to cut down on that sort of thing.

...and don't even get me started on Greedo shooting first. :mad:

Ugly Pig
July 8th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Come to think of it, wasn't one episode in season 4 shot on HD? "Entity", if memory serves...

Heimdal
July 8th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Yeah, well all visionaries have limits...
...even Bill Gates and the infamous 640k :)

Bill Gates a visionary? Steve Jobs and The Woz are visionaries. Bill just has a really good photocopier! :D

Anthro Girl
July 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Bill Gates a visionary? Steve Jobs and The Woz are visionaries. Bill just has a really good photocopier! :D
And he probably stole that from Xerox! :D

Heimdal
July 8th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Hey! Could AnthroGirl be the perfect Woman? I suddenly feel my fondness for Teryl Rothery starting to wane. I feel so guilty and shallow! :D

Anthro Girl
July 8th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Heimdal, I thought you were Teryl Rothery!? :D

Heimdal
July 8th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Uh! Oh! Guess I'm looking at a prolonged period on hefty medication then!

Anthro Girl
July 8th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Come to think of it, wasn't one episode in season 4 shot on HD? "Entity", if memory serves...
Yes, I think you're right it was "Entity". James Tichenor (?) said that they did it as a test of the technology at the time.

Anthro Girl
July 8th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Uh! Oh! Guess I'm looking at a prolonged period on hefty medication then!
Ooops! My bad! What was I thinking?! :D

Heimdal
July 8th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Just for a second there I actually thought we were going to get back on topic!

I'm curious, where did you hear that "Entity" was shot on HD?

Ugly Pig
July 8th, 2004, 03:24 PM
I'm curious, where did you hear that "Entity" was shot on HD?
I think they talked about it on the DVD commentary. I seem to recall hearing/reading about it somewhere else as well, but I can't remember where.

Heimdal
July 8th, 2004, 03:27 PM
It's funny. The one thing I have never done with any DVD that I own is watch the movie with the commentary turned on. Guess I'll have to start! :rolleyes:

David85
July 8th, 2004, 03:32 PM
That has never been said. It surprises me how many people have been misinformed. It simply states that all channels must be broadcast DIGITALLY. The stations have the choice of broadcasting in standard definition digital TV or HDTV. And also, DVD is not in any way equivalent or even close to HDTV. DVD is almost standard definition, so anything on SG-1 DVD's won't be HD.

Maybe you are the misinformed one and everyone else is right... :P

Ugly Pig
July 8th, 2004, 03:35 PM
The one thing I have never done with any DVD that I own is watch the movie with the commentary turned on.
That is the only thing you've never done with a DVD? Well, then I can only imagine some of the things you have done...

Eww...

Sorry. Seriously though, you should give the audio commentaries a try. Many of them are quite entertaining. Whenever I get a new SG-1 DVD I eagirly await the new commentary tracks. :)

Anthro Girl
July 8th, 2004, 03:39 PM
It's funny. The one thing I have never done with any DVD that I own is watch the movie with the commentary turned on. Guess I'll have to start! :rolleyes:
Oh, you must! Actually, I shouldn't say that. It all depends upon which DVD you're talking about and for what reason you want to hear commentary and from whom, but for technical stuff it can be really neat-o! OTOH, I watched "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" with the actor's commentary and special features turned on and I thought I was going to kill that freakin' rabbit!

For Stargate DVDs, it's usually pretty fun...or stupid...or both. :p You learn all sorts of things like which shots were reshoots, where they used stock footage (actually, that's pretty easy to figure out), which shots are from other eps, what they lyrics are to the theme song, who couldn't stop giggling through a scene and all sorts of things you never wanted to know about PDL. :D

Heimdal
July 8th, 2004, 03:42 PM
I would say that the Stargate DVD's are the only one's where I watch everything on the disk. It's also the only series of DVD's that I have collected if you don't count things like movie sequels. I've just dug out the "Entity" disc and will watch it later on.

Heimdal
July 8th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Oh, you must! Actually, I shouldn't say that...

I'll do anything you tell me to! :D

Ugly Pig
July 8th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Hey Anthro, tell him to stand on one leg and cluck like a chicken! :D

Heimdal
July 8th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Cluck! Cluck! (You'll have to use your imagination for the rest!) :D

Anthro Girl
July 8th, 2004, 05:16 PM
<gulp> No one has ever said that to me. :eek:

I gotta think about this one... <cackle> Muaha-ha-HA!

prion
July 8th, 2004, 05:17 PM
///I notice from the preview on the Volume 37 DVD that Stargate Atlantis is being shot on Panavision's 24P High Definition digital cameras and not on 35mm film like SG-1. An interesting move but sadly the greater depth of field of HD gives the material a more "video" look.///

Like BlairWitch Project? Will they soon be using flashlights to illuminate the actors? I can see it now. "Jack, Jack, look up my nose! Is that a Goa'uld larvae in there! Aieee!!!!!!!!" :eek:

Ugly Pig
July 8th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Like BlairWitch Project?
Um, no... Blair Witch wasn't exactly "High Definition"...

Anthro Girl
July 8th, 2004, 07:36 PM
...but currently Hollywood are uncomfortable about providing an even higher quality retail product until issues of piracy and DRM are resolved.
In a desperate attempt to get back on-topic...sort of.

I was just rereading the thread and realized I'm not sure what you meant by "DRM". Digital Recording Media?

Personally, I think most of the "rip-offs" of the harmless variety (i.e., screen caps off DVDs posted to a site) are done by fans and do nothing but promote a show or movie. Copies of complete works make me more uncomfortable and I can understand why the Biz gets uppity about it. Regardless of how one feels about the money involved, if they can't make money, they'll stop making the shows. With the internet, it is a whole lot easier for fans around the world to communicate although they may not get the product at the same time. This increases the demand for something that hasn't been officially released. I think the tactic used with the last Matrix release will become more common with big movies, but I don't know what they could do with the TV shows.

Torley
July 8th, 2004, 09:03 PM
I suddenly had a bad flashback memory to around '99, when Fox got all stupid and sic'ed its lawyers on Ally McBeal fansites, enraging many devotees of the show in the process -- yours truly included -- who soon abandoned their once-beloved dramedy for greener pastures where they would not be harassed. That being said, it was a dumb move and the show went downhill from there. Interesting to note how much a hit it was at its prime before it plummeted *makes jetplane sounds* to its fiery doom! :(

Remember kiddies, vinyl doesn't necessarily sound better because it's better fidelity than CDs. Quite the opposite, actually!

Selmak
July 8th, 2004, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't worry about it looking different, they have post-production stuff to make video look like film.

Torley
July 8th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Yeah, a whole box of MAGIC PLUGINS... like those ones they used in that earlier episode, "Torment of Tantalus", to make the footage of Ernest going through the gate look reaaally old, complete with snaps and crackles (and some pops too) ;)

Ah, how technology both causes and solves problems.

Anubis
July 9th, 2004, 12:13 AM
In the first episodes with the iris, it looks really old, and the graphics of the gate moving

moon12345
July 23rd, 2004, 09:49 AM

This is also incorrect. The digital requirements only apply to Terestrial over the air broadcasts. SciFi is a cable channel that is sourced from C-Band satellite. The digital requirements do not even apply. If you have never seen the full glory of studio quality analog on C-Band then you are really missing it. It beats the pants off of everything except HD.

TechnoBoY
July 23rd, 2004, 01:45 PM
I guess they are preparing for whenever HiDef DVD takes over in a few years. Which I cant wait for cause we just got a new HDTV. Sony and Warner are both bidding for MGM. I guess that will see if in the future Stargate will be released in HD-DVD or BLU-Ray.

I dont get it. Whats the difference between video and film? I know about the frame rate thing but, huh?

Void_Runner
September 24th, 2004, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=Anthro Girl]In a desperate attempt to get back on-topic...sort of.
I was just rereading the thread and realized I'm not sure what you meant by "DRM". Digital Recording Media?
[QUOTE]
I think DRM = Digital Right Management

TechnoBoY
September 25th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Yeah, DRM is Digital Rights Management. So they can make it so that if you buy some SG1 dvds in HD you could play it in HD players but not on your comp. And stuff like that. If you go to the Windows Media site and you download sample WM9 HD clips they will install a different DRM for each vid.

thefurryfurling
September 25th, 2004, 09:41 PM
i don't feel too bad about dl-ing tv shows, cause its a tv show. an argument can be made for buying dvds instead and if i really like a show i may justify the 60 bux to buy it on dvd.

Filipino
January 9th, 2005, 06:03 AM
It blows my mind that someone would pay real money, albeit not as much money, to watch a DVD of a video shot by a handheld digicam in a theater. I don't even watch my vacation videos! ;) I agree that they (the studios) will have to do more worldwide releases to cut down on that sort of thing.

...and don't even get me started on Greedo shooting first. :mad:
I believe most people want to watch the best copy of whatever is available but for a lot of people paying only US$1-2.00 for a pirated DVD is a better deal than springing US$10-20.00

Until prices of VHS/DVDs/etc goes down I dont see piracy ever being stopped.

Filipino
January 9th, 2005, 06:11 AM
I guess they are preparing for whenever HiDef DVD takes over in a few years. Which I cant wait for cause we just got a new HDTV. Sony and Warner are both bidding for MGM. I guess that will see if in the future Stargate will be released in HD-DVD or BLU-Ray.

I dont get it. Whats the difference between video and film? I know about the frame rate thing but, huh?
Either formats are good but I hope they sell it at the same price as DVDs right now and bring down the prices of DVDs to those of VCDs (Video CDs to those not in the know or living in Asia).

The problem with video is that it has a limited or lower visual resolution vs film where in it has a virtualy limitless or higher resolution. Seeming SG-1 was recorded on film the transition of film to HD resolution (1920x1080 or lower) shouldnt be a problem.

Higher the resolution the better picture quality you'll get though it can backfire. In some HD broadcasts/caps I've seen you'll immediatly notice how much makeup were applied to actors/actress. It could get distracting.

Filipino
January 9th, 2005, 06:12 AM
i don't feel too bad about dl-ing tv shows, cause its a tv show. an argument can be made for buying dvds instead and if i really like a show i may justify the 60 bux to buy it on dvd.
I'm just borrowing the seasons myself til they release the sets on HD-DVD/BD.

cobraR478
January 9th, 2005, 07:02 AM
But it won't make it to DVD or stay on air very long if a bunch of people started to think like you.

TechnoWraith
January 9th, 2005, 09:33 AM
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if studios begin making the move to digital storage media rather than film. Digital offers so much more flexibility than standard film media. With recording directly to a digital media, they can upload the film to digital work stations right away, or do other digitally related work with the material. I think the digital storage trend will hit the film studios in upcoming years. It's practically inevitable.

IMForeman
January 9th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Higher the resolution the better picture quality you'll get though it can backfire. In some HD broadcasts/caps I've seen you'll immediatly notice how much makeup were applied to actors/actress. It could get distracting.

This was mentioned in that commentary I mentioned in the first post of this topic. Peter Woeste said that they found using the HD cams on Atlantis was "very unforgiving for the actors". He said you can see every nook and cranny in their faces.

-IMF

Filipino
January 10th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Maybe that's why they switched Weirs. The old one doesnt transfer well on HD. ;)