This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith & Food Supply

Why haven't they tried cloning? Couldn't they feed from cloned people? They could have a farm just for that purpose.

If I were a Wraith, I'd rather do that than argue with my food.

Originally posted by deSaintphalle
    Why haven't they tried cloning? Couldn't they feed from cloned people? They could have a farm just for that purpose.

From watching the series, I get the idea that the stronger willed the person is, the more pleasure they get out of ffeding on them.

If they were to clone their food it seems they would want them to be definite. I don't know enough about cloning to know if they could achieve such a result even if the dna came from humans who they were to pick out for them qualities. There may be a chance if the clone wasn't raised under the same conditions as the person the dna came from would there be a possibility their personalities might be different.

Part of what makes me feel this way is that people I know (myself include) have talked about how their lifes might have been different had they grown up under other circumstances.
    "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
    'Eleanor Roosevelt'
    Individuality is freedom lived.
    'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Wraith dont seem like they got all the time needed for art and music inventing things,Albeit most of their tech was acquired from advance humans and Alterans. Clearly they only roughly possess "Alteran" knowledge as Aurhora showed.
      The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1
        From watching the series, I get the idea that the stronger willed the person is, the more pleasure they get out of ffeding on them.

If they were to clone their food it seems they would want them to be definite. I don't know enough about cloning to know if they could achieve such a result even if the dna came from humans who they were to pick out for them qualities. There may be a chance if the clone wasn't raised under the same conditions as the person the dna came from would there be a possibility their personalities might be different.

Part of what makes me feel this way is that people I know (myself include) have talked about how their lifes might have been different had they grown up under other circumstances.
        Some smart guy, like Mckay, should introduce the idea of cloning to them. Maybe he could ask Teyla to put it in the Wraith minds, as an alternative. If they gobble up all of their food supply, at the source, then they will never solve the problem of supply & demand.

Anyway, there is a book of fiction I have been reading, called "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. It deals with the subject of cloning. It just has me thinking about how it could apply in this playground.

Comment

Originally posted by Bast
          Wraith dont seem like they got all the time needed for art and music inventing things,Albeit most of their tech was acquired from advance humans and Alterans. Clearly they only roughly possess "Alteran" knowledge as Aurhora showed.
          I know what you mean. Wraith Queens are too busy shopping for ballgowns, they can't be worried about the dang grocery list! Besides, they probably prefer organic food anyway, as opposed to engineered.

Comment

well the downside to that is that we have began cloning, but it takes a few thousand tries before you get a result (at the minute). Maybe the wraith did try, but it didn't work the first try so they ditched it.

Comment

They probably don't have the technology to clone.
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

They should have just asked for the seeding device. Take off to another galaxy and have fun. If they said no, take it anyways.
                Daniel: You..stupid son of a *****
                Jack: Hey, you're welcome...

Comment

What is the point from the human perspective?

Would they really be any less unpleasant if they WERE eating clones? Or for that matter, seeded their own galaxy, assuming they could get there?

They'd still be preying on terrified humans.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha

Would they really be any less unpleasant if they WERE eating clones? Or for that matter, seeded their own galaxy, assuming they could get there?

if you kept the clones with no brain activity, the clones would never technically be alive, so your eating something that dead but not dead kinda like what was supposed to happen at the clone facility on "the island"

Comment

Maybe they all prefer 'free range' humans.

There are a few issues here -

1) We found out in "Rising" and "Condemned" that they get more satisfaction from humans that are strong and defiant (respectively) than of others. Also, 'Steve' the wraith looked less than impressed when presented with the terminally ill man to feed on. It's an enjoyment factor - could a cloned human reach a state of freedom sufficient to become a strong or defiant person that a wraith would enjoy feeding on?

Think of it this way - sure, we humans could survive on a much more basic diet than lots of us do, but eating a larger variety and quality of foods gives us more satisfaction. I assume that this is the same for the wraith.

2) We have heard Beckett (or was it McKay?) mention that a wraith's strength is proportionate to how recently they have eaten. If the wraith didn't mind the taste (lol) of cloned humans, then theoretically, they could clone a huge amount and reduce the need for hibernation - which is not a good idea, cos I imagine they'd probably still be hellbent on getting through the Stargate to Earth. They had a big enough problem with destroying the 3 hive ships heading to Atlantis, who knows how many more are out there...

just some thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by James_the_Wraith_Sympathiser
                        They had a big enough problem with destroying the 3 hive ships heading to Atlantis, who knows how many more are out there...
                        60, or more.
                        and the man steve was presented with didn't look very appetising, remember food enjoyment is 70% (i think it may be more) from smell and sight.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha

I think what deSaint means is if the stocks are running low, why doesn't the wraith clone to slove the prob and not as a ethical question. I agree they like defiant humans, the wraith in condemned said that tasted sweet!!
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm also inclined to wonder why they never put into use any of the advanced ancient medical tech like the necromancy cube that the sarcophogas' were based off of. You'd think that at some point they'd happen across this stuff as they were tearing through all of Pegasus.

If they could bring people back from the dead after feeding on them they'd never run out of food.

They might even be able to use the technology of these devices to feed themselves directly. If you could isolate whatever energy they eat with technology like that you could probably also alter it or pruify it to make various "flavours".

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
                              I'm also inclined to wonder why they never put into use any of the advanced ancient medical tech like the necromancy cube that the sarcophogas' were based off of. You'd think that at some point they'd happen across this stuff as they were tearing through all of Pegasus.

If they could bring people back from the dead after feeding on them they'd never run out of food.
                              it may be possible that the necromancy cube was built by a different group of Ancients or that the technology was lost to them by the time they seeded teh Pegasus Galaxy. another possibility is the Ancients may have believed that the necromancy cube technology was too dangerous and tried to distroy it but failed.

This goes with other technologies.

Comment

Working...
                              X