PDA

View Full Version : Old Doctor Who or New Doctor Who-which do you like more

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 26th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I hope no one has started a thread on this yet. but here's my question: Which Doctor Who do you like more, The Old Series or the New Series?

I personally like the New series.

BritAngie
September 26th, 2005, 11:15 PM
I hope no one has started a thread on this yet. but here's my question: Which Doctor Who do you like more, The Old Series or the New Series?

I personally like the New series.

I like both because without the old you wouldn't have the new(and people wouldn't love it as much as they do if it wasn't for the old series) and I love the freshness of the new. It's all part of the same journey though and series two will have some more old faves and references to the old series! Hurrah! :D

Willow'sCat
September 27th, 2005, 12:34 AM

I personally like the New series.Well I think it is an unfair question. How can you compare classic to new? Add to that the one Actor so far and 13 episodes, well 'apples and oranges' comes to mind. :p

If I must play I would say the old. ;) Too many great episodes and memories for me to see it any other way. :D

Rowana
September 27th, 2005, 04:18 AM
I can't really say because I can't see the new one yet (curses!). But from the little information I get, I probably would still like the old one best. Just because I grew up with it.

Metarock Sam
September 27th, 2005, 07:30 AM
I dont really take it as a new series just a prolonged break between the classic series therefore this series is part of the classic series altogether in the grand scheme of things. I therefore prefer the old series as it is the new series and old together.

Reefgirl
September 27th, 2005, 01:50 PM
It depends on how old you are I guess, I watched from Tom Baker onwards and each series has it's points, the old series was a little naff in parts (Rubber Monsters, Dorset Gravel Pits and wobbly sets) but that was part of it's charm and the new series has been updated and revamped for a new generation of Who fans and the older fans can argue in the pub for hours over both old and new

Dallista
September 28th, 2005, 06:46 AM
I got introduced to both the old and the new series around the same time. My first few episodes were of the new series, but before I'd gotten halfway through the new series, I'd already watched some Fifth Doctor serials and a couple of episodes with Colin Baker, Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton. So there's not really a Doctor whom I consider 'my' Doctor, nor do I have a preference for the old or new series. I don't even consider the new series 'new' (after all, for me everything DW is new), but instead just another set of episodes that joins the long long list of Doctor Who serials.

Easter Lily
September 28th, 2005, 01:23 PM
How does one make a proper comparison? In a sense all the doctors are new except William Hartnell... :D

I must say though, the sfx of the Ecclestone series has been quite something else and in that sense it has superceded its predecessors. But other than that each incarnation/era excels in a different way.

Auralis
September 29th, 2005, 04:26 PM
New series forllowed by the second doctor are my faves.
heh, and i never got into Tom Baker's series.

P-90_177
October 6th, 2005, 01:46 AM
New series all the way. I didn't even like the Doctor before the new series, now I'll even enjoy some of the older eps from time to time. Eccleston ROCKS and Billie Piper is FIT!

Simonthefurling
October 6th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Iv not seen old series, only the odd clip here and there. Though from what iv seen the new one is much better.

Metarock Sam
October 6th, 2005, 10:19 AM
The main change has been the budget. I mean back in sixties it was something ridiculous like £250 an episode. But now weve got the money and the tech to make the show great and more spectacular than ever.

4thDoctor
January 2nd, 2012, 03:40 PM
I like them both, but if I could only watch one it would be the classic series.

Zed_PM
January 2nd, 2012, 04:04 PM
I grew up in a time when special effects were just getting started and because we already had colour for about 30 years since then it was really hard to watch the classic series.

These days I can look past that and really enjoy some good stories and great acting. I know some people who can't bare watching the Pertwee years with me, or they just make fun how the women are in the show. Little do people realise I don't take insulting Jo Grant in front of me lightly.

The new series was easier to watch and I really get into the story arch. I'm a bit of a RTD fan girl because of his very emotional story lines. I liked Stephen Moffat at the beginning because of his twists but it's getting all so repetitive; monster one week, robot the next, monster the week after, etc. And I just get there will be a twist in the end. And what's with the cheesy happy endings?

It bothers me because when people hear I like Doctor Who they think I like this one. I do get into the episodes but I dunno...maybe I just miss Tennant...and Col Baker and Jon Pertwee. Matt Smith is a good Doctor but not the Doctor I want. He was before but now he's just too goofy. They're aiming the show more at kids too. Kids always did watch it but it wasn't always marketed towards them, taking out adult themes and such.

They're getting kind of Will and Grace with the whole celebrity appearances too.

So, between the Pertwee years up to no.6. I haven't seen much of the second Doctor yet. And I really really love the 9th and 10th Doctors.

Morgania
January 3rd, 2012, 09:25 AM

The Flyattractor
January 3rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
I prefer the old series for the sheer fact that it was a story about adventure. A starange alien being traveling around the universe with people being exposed to extraordinary places and beings.
And it wasn't about emotional relationships and sex.
Doctor Who used to be my haven away from such things but sadly those days are over.
I enjoyed Eccelstons Doctor but couldn't stand Rose and her mother after about the 3rd episode.
And what happened to the Daleks in the first 2 series made me sick.
RTD brought a certian apsect to the show that I strongly dislike.
And I can't stand Tennents Doctor for about 90% of the time.
Matt Smith is a better Doctor IMO but I will agree with Z-Pm that the stories are getting rather repetitive. The "horror" aspect of the show hasn't helped it any in the long run.
But I will always enjoy a 1-8 story just a little bit if not greatly over the "new series".
Because maybe I am old and can look past the "Wobbley walls and Tin Foil Monsters" and enjoy the stories over the CGI and Nonsence that goes on for what passes for telly these days.

Billz
January 3rd, 2012, 04:20 PM
Why is 4thDoctor necro-ing all these old threads?

P-90_177
January 3rd, 2012, 04:23 PM

The Flyattractor
January 3rd, 2012, 04:25 PM
Good Point.

cosmichobo
January 4th, 2012, 12:02 AM

I'm going to go either with boredom... or a sinister Silence plot to pluck apart the very fabric of the Space Time Continuum.

Probably boredom.

4thDoctor
January 5th, 2012, 10:49 AM
The Answer: I couldn't sleep and the threads were new to me. 33470

The Flyattractor
January 5th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Just think that you REGENERATED them.

Samia
January 9th, 2012, 05:14 PM
The new ones are really slick and look absolutely fantastic, but I find the old ones have a sort of charm about them that is missing from the new lot. No episode of Classic Who ever terrified me in the way The Empty Child or Blink did, but there's something about them that makes me smile.

12OzMouse
January 9th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I think that it would be hard for someone who didn't grow up with the Doctor to favor the pre-2005 episodes. To me, early Doctor Who is like a comfortable old pair of slippers. As the years go by it's difficult to understand how the Daleks could keep me up at night, but they did! But to answer your question, I like them both in completely different ways. I still find one of the best ways to kill a rainy Saturday afternoon is to spend it with the first or second Doctor....

Savatage
January 10th, 2012, 07:57 AM

The Doctor is visiting the past - he does that frequently.

New Who was my first Who, so it's probably my fav. However, the more classic Who I watch the harder it becomes to think of them as separate entities.

FennerMachine
January 10th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I like both, but if I had to choose it would be old (Classic) Who.
Most episodes I have seen several times.
Even ones that I vaguely remember as being not so good I have watched again and found them better than I remember.
The styles are completely different as well.
Many episode per story verses 1 or 2.
Many episodes can give more depth to side characters and more suspense.
Knowing that everything will be wrapped in a few minutes doesn't always leave you wanting more.
The story arcs of the new Who are interesting but there where some story arcs or at least revisited planets and people in old Who.
I like new Who but Classic Who definitely has its place.
For those who have not seen any or much Classic Who have a look at a few episodes.
Start with Tom Baker, probably the best ever Doctor.

cosmichobo
January 11th, 2012, 07:23 PM
http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/83187-Best-Old-Who-for-Newbies

Again - if you haven't gotten into old Who... check out that thread...

When the BBC undoubtedly begin releasing Classic Who on BluRay/HD DVD etc, much as I derided them in the 80's for releasing abridged episodes on VHS, I think they should do abridged versions of the stories like they did for Planet of the Spiders... As whilst Classic Who did benefit in many ways from its episodic format, sometimes everyone will admit (writers, producers, etc) that episodes did get padded out...

That way, and even moreso if these abridged eps got air-time, newWho fans may be able to sit their way through them. (;

Billz
January 20th, 2012, 08:47 AM
All. :)

BakerisBest
January 28th, 2012, 11:06 PM
For me, the old is the best (though I didn't grow up with it; I actually discovered it the same year they started with the new one). They just really seemed to love the show they were writing back then and they brought in so much variety.

I generally like his writing but do agree that Moffat can be repetitive. In 'The Girl in the Fireplace' he wrote a wonderful episode about a precocious little girl who met the Doctor, with large gaps passing from her own perspective but short ones for him, before she grew up, then she fell in love with him. The exact same thing then happened with Amy. Then we discovered it'd happened with River Song as well.

Blink was about a stable time loop. The ending of Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead turned out to feature a stable time loop (with the sonic screwdriver). River's life is a stable time loop. Series 5 was about a stable time loop with the explosion of the TARDIS at the end causing the events that preceeded it. Series 6 is a stable time loop with the Doctor's death being the start and the end which lead to themselves. The Doctor also escaped the Pandorica by way of a stable time loop.

Also, after RTD has the entire season dedicated to the fact that the Doctor is going to die in the future, Moffat's first finale featured the Doctor being seen to die in the future, before it being discovered that he'd pretended about it. Then the next season was about the Doctor being foretold to die in the future, before it being discovered that he'd pretended about it.

Of course, I don't want to go on about it...