This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yo, Foley!

it's a little thing really, but, well, the sound was so loud it was actually distracting. eta: there are two different times in Aurora where this happens.

Dear Foley Guys,

The sound of a hammer drawn back is distinctly different from the sound of a slide being pulled to chamber a round. One sounds like, well, a hammer being drawn back, and the other sounds kinda like a shotgun being racked. So uhm, don't confuse 'em, 'k? Thanks

Much Love,
    Me
    Last edited by Shep; 27 September 2005, 08:57 PM.

Originally posted by Shep
    it's a little thing really, but, well, the sound was so loud it was actually distracting.

Dear Foley Guys,

The sound of a hammer drawn back is distinctly different from the sound of a slide being pulled to chamber a round. One sounds like, well, a hammer being drawn back, and the other sounds kinda like a shotgun being racked. So uhm, don't confuse 'em, 'k? Thanks

Much Love,
    Me
    The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

it's a little thing really, but, well, the sound was so loud it was actually distracting.

Dear Foley Guys,

Much Love,
      Me
      The dynamics of engineering audio for a TV series are a lot more complicated than you think. While a hammer and slide do make different distinct noises, remember that acoustic conditions can sometimes make the sounds identical. Also, the quality of recording, processing and final editing may also alter the sound quality (to a minor degree, but sometimes that is all it takes to change the nature of a sound).

The foley guy's jobs are harder than you think it is!

Comment

speaking of hammers and foley... you'd think tptb would get some new hammering metal soundbytes, just about every episode of atlantis and sg1 these seasons has had the same "ding tink ding ding" hammering sound byte!

If you don't believe me go back and count them up

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
          The dynamics of engineering audio for a TV series are a lot more complicated than you think. While a hammer and slide do make different distinct noises, remember that acoustic conditions can sometimes make the sounds identical. Also, the quality of recording, processing and final editing may also alter the sound quality (to a minor degree, but sometimes that is all it takes to change the nature of a sound).

maybe it is just his tv speakers

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith

I know quite well the nature of the job, the problems of trying to record live sound, "wild" sound, room tone, and adding sound in post. I also know that they have never made that kind of mistake before. Their sound guys are usually spot on, which is part of why I caught it.

The sound, pitch, rhythm and length of both "effects" is completely different. Not a big deal, just a note to whomever that someone caught it.

maybe it is just his tv speakers
            Not a he.

Also, my speakers can't make a hammer sound like a slide. The sounds are wholly and completely different.

Comment

Ummmmmm -- to which scene are you referring?

Comment

Dear Foley Guys,

Much Love,
                Me
                Can you explain what you are talking about?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sarge
                  Ummmmmm -- to which scene are you referring?
                  wouldn't that be helpful? d'oh. i'll edit my original.

Can you explain what you are talking about?
                  what about it is confusing for you?

Comment

Not a he.

Also, my speakers can't make a hammer sound like a slide. The sounds are wholly and completely different.
                    sorry

Comment

no apologies necessary. i mean, really, how are you supposed to tell just by a user name.

Comment

Working...
                      X