This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My problem with Dr. Wier

she's a great character and all but i feel she is too over-dramatic and she makes too many cheesy speaches. anytime something happens, she makes a speach. i bet if i was part of the atlantis team, and i asked her if i could use the bathroom, she'd make a speach b4 i could go.

I wonder how much of this comes from her being a diplomat. She is used to using words as a way of summarizing problems and solving what needs to be done. I think that she's also very much learning how to be a leader, and maybe she believes that this is what her position calls for. I think as Weir becomes more comfortable with her role on Atlantis she will learn to let her hair down and become less like a diplomat (in the slower, talky sense) and more like a go-getter.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Cheesy speeches?

Over-dramatic?

Try E-Ring or any other American show with overdramatic patriotism.

Battlestar Galactica has some cheesy overdramatic speeches, but I can't really see what you mean about Weir and 'cheesy speeches'.

She's the leader, and has to keep up moral. I see nothing wrong with it.

And you should be honored to have a speech made before you go to the bathroom

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
      Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

i miss good old general hammond he should run for prez

Comment

Originally posted by Martouf01
          i miss good old general hammond he should run for prez
          Ahm, well that's still an other Series... SGA should be watched as an individum, not compared every time to SG1 -> IMHO

I have rather a boss, who speaks with me, then someone who only says to do something without telling me why I should do it so... I like her speeches... even if i didn't find them so over-the-top as you said!

Over-dramatic....hmmm, I really think there are other people in SGA who are way more dramatic than her... again IMHO

Ps: it's Weir and not Wier...I wonder, why so many people do write her name wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Dorka
            Ps: it's Weir and not Wier...I wonder, why so many people do write her name wrong!
            I spelt it right! For once!

I think I usually spell it wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Dorka
              As someone who shared the same surname (before I married), it was my experience that most people spelt it wrong....it was so annoying.

Comment

She can give me a speech whenever she likes
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

I love her 'cheesy' speeches, it's why she's my fave female character of SGA

sigpic
                  Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                  Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
                    OH yeah
                    I mean, she tried to help Ronon to becom a part of them. She could have just walked to an other table and sit down alone with her computer-thing (how is this thing called by the way? Palm-top or so?????)

Comment

Palm computer. I don't see what the prob is and why Mart has started a thread. I love her speeches which is how she became my fave character of sga. Comparing her to Hammond is pointless as he's on a diff show, you need to rewatch the end of s7, s8 and s9. Was that the reason you started this thread? It's great to have a woman in charge, makes such a change. She's part what makes sga what it is, without her the show just wouldn't be so good. As for her being too dramatic, why didn't you pick on McKay or Beckitt, they can really annoy me with their whines over nothing alot of the time (exspecially McKay), but I didn't start a thread over it, don't see the big deal.
                      sigpic

Comment

And there are so many to choose from.

My problem with Dr Weir is that her character is under developed. I also loved the original actress, so I guess Torri is always going to be at a disadvantage when I can compare and contrast. Torri's take on the character leaves me cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Martouf01
                          she's a great character and all but i feel she is too over-dramatic and she makes too many cheesy speaches. anytime something happens, she makes a speach. i bet if i was part of the atlantis team, and i asked her if i could use the bathroom, she'd make a speach b4 i could go.
                          LOL! That seems likley. She is a bit preachy - and over-dramatic....melo-dramatic maybe? I dunno...some of those expressions leave me snickering. She's got a big mouth, I'll give her that, but since she seems to have so much energy for these speeches, she should go off-world more often IMO. Expend some of that energy. I always like it when commanders go off-world. Gives them more of a connection with the people they boss around.
                          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

My problem with Weir is that she seems to had a total character transformation from S1. She's all 'full of it' now, more the leader than she was in S1 without any explanation to how we got here. It's like one minute at the the end of Siege 2 she's standing back and letting Everett take command yet all of a sudden in S2 she's found some balls and is all 'hardass', especially where Caldwell is concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I like Weir, just more in S1 than S2. She seems like a different person lately. Yes I know there were complaints that she let Shep boss her around too much in S1 but it hardly warrants the change in character that we're seeing. Yes let's see her develop into a leader, but at least show us how we got to this point.

Comment

I agree. She's my favorite female SGA character.

Comment

Working...
                              X