Qasim
September 25th, 2005, 01:01 PM
See: http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=7800

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 25th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Cool, you can even check out the Stargate U.K. DVDs

Jeffer
September 25th, 2005, 04:53 PM
cool the movie was good the only thing it was lacking was a big fleet battle that would have been awesome

Morbo
September 25th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I'm getting the 2-disc special collector's edition of Nemesis to review.
Should be done sometime in the next week I think.

SaberBlade
September 29th, 2005, 09:42 PM
this is something i'll look out for.

i was disappointed that the scenes with Wesley were removed from movie and the DVD, so hopefully that the deleted scenes, or some of them will be included into the movie

if they added deleted scenes to make a movie longer, and its just oen more reason for me to get it.

babaganoosh
September 30th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Awesome! I'm really looking forward to getting this one as it's got the director AND producer commentaries and more deleted scenes than the original release of the DVD.

Morbo
September 30th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I got the collector's edition, but i haven't watched all the special features yet. it didn't say if the movie was extended, so i'm assuming the deleted scenes are just in the extras section.
but the special features i've watched so far have been pretty good. a few were too short, but others were kind of touching. they are such a great group of people

Stricken
October 1st, 2005, 08:41 AM
I have the extras *points* great film lacked the battle we all hoped for...

Qasim
October 5th, 2005, 06:18 AM
http://trekweb.com/articles/2005/10/04/43430ff75fe44.shtml

and

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/misc/galileo7-05.htm

But when "Nemesis" was going to be produced, he had no chance. "Would I have taken the chance with Nemesis? - They only should have asked me." When someone else (Stuart Baird) was given the job, "I was only surprised - and disappointed... Would I have let Data die? Never! But he is not really dead. He is an android." Frakes expressed his opinion that one of the reasons for the failure of "Nemesis" was that "the show didn't focus strongly enough on the TNG characters." This remark was followed by a powerful applause. Frakes later added that "it will take some time, and the Star Trek movies will come back... They just like to make money... We will rise from the ashes, and I want to be a part of it."

Darkstar
October 5th, 2005, 12:47 PM
well lets hope that if they do another flick focused around TNG characters then JF will be behind the wheel of it, i mean he directed first contact and therefore should i say more on the matter.

i will say this the result would be probably a better film than FC since he has had the time to improve and FC was the best movie in my mind shame it never grew on from that:(

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
October 5th, 2005, 01:00 PM
thanks Qasim :D

ToasterOnFire
October 5th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Hmm...interesting. I must admit that I actually fell asleep halfway through Nemesis!

Honestly, if putting JF behind the wheel means we get another First Contact then so much the better. I'd hate to think Nemesis was the last, best hurrah for TNG...

MarshAngel
October 6th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Exactly. That whole scene in the beginning with the wedding and everyone getting together had me assured it was the last time they'd all be together in a film and was supposed to be this sentimental goodbye but by halfway through the movie I was disgusted by that very fact.

It was certainly not the way to go out.

The only reason I didn't fall asleep was because I never fall asleep even in college astronomy for idiots (major yawn). I had high expectations given the previous two films which I enjoyed. I was sorely disappointed.

Qasim
October 8th, 2005, 11:22 AM
http://trekweb.com/articles/2005/10/07/4346e0fd191e3.shtml

About the director Stuart Baird, he said, "The fact that he was from totally outside the franchise did mean that, unlike any of the others directors we've had on the films, Stuart was not familiar with some of the substance, some of the details of STAR TREK. So, from time to time he would ask for something or want something that couldn't be given because of the personality a character had or for technological reasons. But those instances were few and far between."

MarshAngel
October 8th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I was actually surprised the movie got made at all. I really hadn't expected another Trek TNG movie when they did Nemesis.

stargate barbie
October 10th, 2005, 02:15 PM
i'd love to see them move on to making DS9 movies

Brigadier General Pants
October 14th, 2005, 08:37 AM
i'd love to see them move on to making DS9 movies
I would too, but lets face it, the reason why TNG movies were made is because the average cinemagoer knows who Picard and Data are. DS9, while popular, didn't have the kind of cultural saturation TNG did. Who the heck but a Trekkie knows who Sisko is?

Nemesis was OK. Just had a few plot holes and a dumb car chase (CARS in Star Trek? What possible reason could there be for a car chase scene?). A race of subjugated slaves and foot soldiers were able to build a warship as deadly as the Scimitar? Sure they could...

Aaron Doral
October 14th, 2005, 10:58 AM
I would too, but lets face it, the reason why TNG movies were made is because the average cinemagoer knows who Picard and Data are. DS9, while popular, didn't have the kind of cultural saturation TNG did. Who the heck but a Trekkie knows who Sisko is?

Nemesis was OK. Just had a few plot holes and a dumb car chase (CARS in Star Trek? What possible reason could there be for a car chase scene?). A race of subjugated slaves and foot soldiers were able to build a warship as deadly as the Scimitar? Sure they could...
Well, they were using the Romulan military's resources, IIRC. I've tried to forget that movie...

I don't think DS9 movies would work. There weren't really any plotlines left open, and any situation that would bring all of the characters back together would seem terribly contrived. Books are the right medium for DS9 to continue in. The DS9 relaunch series has been excellent, I'd recommend that any DS9 fan read at least a few of them.

Stricken
October 15th, 2005, 05:12 AM
You know when you think about it they could make films inbetween nemisis and the last one, that way data is alive and like the TPTB on Stargate pretend Nemisis never happend! :D

Brigadier General Pants
October 15th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Well, they were using the Romulan military's resources, IIRC. I've tried to forget that movie....
Even so, can you imagine the Kurds in Iraq creating a super-plane? Even a regular-plane. Dunno.

I don't think DS9 movies would work. There weren't really any plotlines left open, and any situation that would bring all of the characters back together would seem terribly contrived.

Yeah, I reckon you're right. DS9 went to pains to stitch it all up in the denouement, so there wasn't much left to work with, with Sisko off in Milky White Background Land.

newtrekker
October 15th, 2005, 05:11 PM
I like the design of the DVD menus. As other people have said, it has a great storyline but not a fleet battle that I hoped for. I was sad to see Data go.

Frinky
October 15th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Although the movie was good, and the fight between the enterprise and scimitar was ok, it wasnt the epic sort of battle I was hoping for. Frankly, Data's death seemed needless and a rather insulting statement by TPTB saying that 'HA!We burnt down the bridges by killing Data so we cant do this anymore!!".

It seemed rather out of character for Picard to go storming off to the Scimitar by himself, even though he's been taken by emotion before, he's always had common sense. So, as cheesy and cliched as it sounds, if they were to do another movie, or something like that, they should have some time travel thing or an exploration of B4 so that the dedicated star trek fans can have proper closure on a series of much loved characters. IMO killing off a much loved character after 15 or so years in a rash, pointless action just dosent cut it for me.

Well, thats my 2 cents...

dilligaf
October 16th, 2005, 03:57 AM
i just saw it a couple of days ago on tv, not bad this was the first star trek ive ever seen and i liked it.

stargate barbie
October 16th, 2005, 12:14 PM
i just saw it a couple of days ago on tv, not bad this was the first star trek ive ever seen and i liked it.
then may i suggest you check out "first contact" and "wrath of kahn".
although wrath of kahn may look quite dated to a non trekkie. it really was the second worst film, in my opinion. although it did have a lot of potential.

aaobuttons
October 16th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I think, even given the weak plot, if Jonathan Frakes had been directing instead of some guy who didn't know anything about Trek, that it would have been a better film. It's those personal moments that make the Trek films and this movie sorely lacked them. From the images of the deleted scenes, if they would have showed more of the wedding scene and the scenes in ten-forward, it would have embraced those moments and seemed more Trek to me.

Brigadier General Pants
October 16th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Data's death seemed needless and a rather insulting statement by TPTB saying that 'HA!We burnt down the bridges by killing Data so we cant do this anymore!!".

I think they deliberately burned bridges that they knew they could rebuild if they wanted to. Sure, they killed Data, but there is a convenient 'back-up disk' in the form of B4. All they'd have to do to resurrect Data is say that B4 can now access all of Data's memories, and voila, the return of Mr Plastic Butt-cheeks.

Qasim
October 16th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Supposedly they killed Data because by sacrificing himself he became as human as he ever could

david2708
October 16th, 2005, 05:58 PM
How could the Enterprise front end Scimitar so easily if the Scimitar's shields were still at 70%?
The Romulan Warbird's broken wing literally bounced off the Enterprise whose shields were practically kaput!!
Brett Spiner's makeup was very unflattering to his aging face on the big screen so I imagine Spiner was happy to see his character bite the dust.

Brigadier General Pants
October 16th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Brett Spiner's makeup was very unflattering to his aging face on the big screen so I imagine Spiner was happy to see his character bite the dust.

It becomes hard to explain why an ageless android is starting to look so shabby after less than 20 years.

stargate barbie
October 17th, 2005, 03:09 PM
they could have passed it off as a hardware upgrade :D
like that time he got the beard!

anyway, my understanding on the data "death" was that brent spiner had been pushing for several years for data to be killed off as he felt he was ageing too much to play the role convincingly (it's a word).
personally i felt that what they did with it was a bit of a cop-out. but it definitely wasn't the worst thing about the film. and as always, brent spiner played it well.

Brigadier General Pants
October 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM
as always, brent spiner played it well.

Yeah, he really did nail the role of Data... such a good foil for everyone else in the show, and the source of some excellent humour (although some of the jokes in ST:INS seemed a little contrived?).

stargate barbie
October 18th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah, he really did nail the role of Data... such a good foil for everyone else in the show, and the source of some excellent humour (although some of the jokes in ST:INS seemed a little contrived?).
all part of the charm. although i do find it awfully dated now, but i haven't managed to watch it in quite a while, so maybe in a few years it'll be considered retro and classic like TOS.

Brigadier General Pants
October 18th, 2005, 03:30 PM
all part of the charm. although i do find it awfully dated now, but i haven't managed to watch it in quite a while, so maybe in a few years it'll be considered retro and classic like TOS.

Actually, while the effects look a bit dodgy, I'm still impressed by the set design, and all the console layouts. To me, they haven't dated at all. They were basically still using the same style all through VOY, and it still looked fresh.

stargate barbie
October 19th, 2005, 02:41 PM
oh i don't mean the sets and sfx, i mean the show in general. the first few years in particular. they hadn't quite got the characters right, except picard who was always fantastic. he and data saved the show early on, as they were the most interesting characters. data's character development had the most potential early on. apparently they had only considered worf to be a very minor role in the early days until they discovered how great he could be.

the acting from some of them had to be toned up, they hadn't really gotten their characters down, etc. but even the later episodes are a tad dated now. not only in the visual sense, just in general.

perhaps i've just seen too many reruns. :rolleyes:

Brigadier General Pants
October 19th, 2005, 03:39 PM
They were re-imagining a series completely, so I suppose some teething problems in terms of characterisation was to be expected. But yeah, I felt the first year at least was a bit of a write-off.

helio9
October 20th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah but you can almost see the advancement of computer tech in that show. In the early days, they used special effects sparingly as it costed a lot. By the end they were not only a lot better, they were more abundant. And in VOY they did it all the time. TNG was started in 1988, soon processing power inceased to the point where the effect were a lot cheaper. The first season of TNG had some pretty cheesy special effects, but by the end it was great.

Brigadier General Pants
October 21st, 2005, 06:56 AM
Yeah but you can almost see the advancement of computer tech in that show. In the early days, they used special effects sparingly as it costed a lot. By the end they were not only a lot better, they were more abundant. And in VOY they did it all the time. TNG was started in 1988, soon processing power inceased to the point where the effect were a lot cheaper. The first season of TNG had some pretty cheesy special effects, but by the end it was great.

Remember, CGI wasn't used in TNG until the last couple of seasons, and then sparingly, according to the documentaries. It's even used fairly sparingly in early DS9 (except for the wormhole stock shots and a few of Odo's crappy early shapechanges).

The reason for the improved effects in TNG as time went by, was that they adjusted the way they did the optical (non-digital) effects. They just got better at it. So from the beginning in '87, until the last season in '94, we saw a real leap in quality.

skritsys
October 21st, 2005, 07:51 AM
Nemesis was more for the non-fans of Trek. Written by John Logan who did the script for Bats and Gladiator, they knew they had a 50/50 chance of Nemesis doing well. Continuity was very poor. Any fan of Trek knows the Romulans are better adversaries than Nemesis portrayed them.
The music was "borrowed" from every other Star Trek movie. There was no music actually written for Nemesis so to speak. It was bits and pieces cut and pasted and remixed to make a working soundtrack. There was only a few scenes that utilized "in between" music as well, for transitions.
The actual movie was not bad per se, but when you get into the universe that is Trek and come up with Nemesis you wind up getting exactly what the fans got with Enterprise's season finale, a big resounding thud on the screen.

Brigadier General Pants
October 23rd, 2005, 10:57 PM
Nemesis was more for the non-fans of Trek. Written by John Logan who did the script for Bats and Gladiator, they knew they had a 50/50 chance of Nemesis doing well. Continuity was very poor. Any fan of Trek knows the Romulans are better adversaries than Nemesis portrayed them.
The music was "borrowed" from every other Star Trek movie. There was no music actually written for Nemesis so to speak. It was bits and pieces cut and pasted and remixed to make a working soundtrack. There was only a few scenes that utilized "in between" music as well, for transitions.
The actual movie was not bad per se, but when you get into the universe that is Trek and come up with Nemesis you wind up getting exactly what the fans got with Enterprise's season finale, a big resounding thud on the screen.

It wasn't a bad sci-fi movie. It just wasn't a very good Trek movie.

skritsys
October 24th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Two words that reflect Nemesis: Box Office, or DVD Sales.