This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walter Harriman is an E-9???

In early days, Walter has always been 'Sergeant' to everybody in the SGC. But at some point recently, though I can't remember when exactly, people started to call him 'Chief'. That's for a Chief Master Sergeant, an E-9 in the USAF. Last time I checked his rank some time ago, he had MSGT HARRIMAN (that is an E-7) on his nametag.
    I don't know much of the Air Force stuffs, how they promote and assign people, or what is an appropriate job for what rank, etc. All I know is how the US Army runs things, and I used to convert Air Force ranks to Army's. And by the Army standard, the rank of Sergeant First Class (equivalent to MSgt) fits quite well to Walter's job description. But I can't quite imagine a Sergeant Major doing orderly for his/her General. In the HQs of MACOMs, they usually don't do ANYTHING!! (no offence to hardcore senior NCOs out there in the field, but that's how things are going in big HQs) 'Chief' Harriman must be one of the most senior NCOs in the command, if not 'the most' senior that being the Command Chief Master Sergeant of the SGC.
    Sure, Walter has been around since the beginning, and he knows the deal. It is essential to have somebody like Walter in the control room. But if he made it to E-9, isn't he supposed to sit back and make lower-ranking airmen and sergeants do the chore/legwork? Shouldn't he be 'guiding the next generation NCOs' of the SGC while in reality whooping their collective ****s?
    Last edited by DeltaEagle; 25 September 2005, 07:39 AM.

I doubt Walter can whoop anything
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Man loves his job. He probably would have turned down any promotion that would have made him sit and some stinking desk job. Contrary to popular belief he is the Key to all stargate operations. The only time he can leave is if his man Hammond needs him to pilot the promie, otherwise walter is all SGC.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Walter was always a minor role but then again hes been around most of the seasons. He has the best part in Heroes when asked what he does for is job that part cracks me up all the time.
        Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaEagle
          But if he made it to E-9, isn't he supposed to sit back and make lower-ranking airmen and sergeants do the chore/legwork? Shouldn't he be 'guiding the next generation NCOs' of the SGC while in reality whooping their collective ****s?
          Maybe he is, but he just doesn't want to entirely vacate his seat at the dialling computer. I suppose if you have such a high rank that's you're perogative.
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I'd miss him if he left. He may not be a part of the sg-1 team itself, but he is vital to the SGC and the show. He has been around since the beginning, and I hope we see him around until the very end, no matter what his rank is.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I think they should just put Walter on SG1 You saw how expertly he flew the Alkesh in Prometheus Unbound...could be handy

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                I'd miss him if he left. He may not be a part of the sg-1 team itself, but he is vital to the SGC and the show. He has been around since the beginning, and I hope we see him around until the very end, no matter what his rank is.
                He's also got the unenviable task of training/babysitting flaky generals (seasons 8 & 9). Couldn't really hand that one off to lower ranking enlisted men.

a time to mourn

Comment

Yes, walter is an E-9.

I wasn't sure about this, until the first episode of season 9. There he introduced himself to Mitchell as "Chief Master Sergeant Walter Harriman". And according to wikipedia, this is an E-9.

But what I don't understand is, his job, what he really does at the sgc. Officialy he's an gateroom engineer, but he's also helping Landry in season 9.

Comment

Don't forget that he has the all-important task of opening and closing the iris as well.
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                      Don't forget that he has the all-important task of opening and closing the iris as well.
                      Only Chief Master Seargents are qualified to do this BTW... the airmen you see doing it from time to time are only trainees with a CMS standing in the background.... with a whip.
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

yes the cms are so very important.... they open and CLOSE the IRIS!!! such a tough job cause you need to see if they have an idc and if they dont they go splat and if their fast enough to open it allies/personell can come though

Comment

Hey, do you know how much training comes with that? Most trainees never even finish their courses, ok?
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Well you got to do other important things too.
                            You answer the phone\radio for the Generals
                            You answer the stargate for the Generals
                            You get coffee for the Generals
                            You get files for the Generals.
                            You keep hated enemies occupied while the Generals are at lunch.
                            You keep the thirdshift guys in line, about not dialing random addresses for fun.
                            You make sure all the blinkly lights are blinking right.
                            You act as media guy explaining your job to any newscrews that stop buy.
                            You look concerned when SG-1 is missing but unconcerned if another SG team dies in the gateroom.
                            You keep Siler in line.
                            You give snide looks to anyone who disrespects Generals or SG-1.

What else, what else... Walter has many varied and sundry tasks only a CMS of his qualificiations would be able to complete effectivly. Plus he is great at pretend typing.

Comment

Sure would love to see walter kick some fanny! He's always getting beat on.

The guy is funny, too! I hope we get to see his antics in an episode sometime!

Comment

Working...
                              X