Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC, Marvel Heroes In Cinematic Clash

http://www.plastic.com/article.html;...09/23/06030003

In the current decade, DC appears to be shell-shocked by the Marvel pantheon. Its only response has been Catwoman (a flop), Constantine (a near-flop), and Batman Begins, which while well-received can only be the last gasp of the franchise (or can it?) As we move into the upcoming movie-going years, Marvel is poised to take a number of its untapped superheroes to the big screen, with production slated for Deathlok, Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, Hands of Shang-chi, Captain America, and Iron Man in the offing, not to mention the conclusion of the X-Men series.

Can DC respond in kind? Its only apparent efforts for the future seem to be Shazam, the Flash, and Superman Returns. And if DC puts up big numbers with Shazam, will Marvel suit up Captain Marvel for duty? Are there untapped depths to either company's gamut of titles that might make for entertaining big screen fare? Could Hawkman kick Captain America's ass? Is a crossover pairing up at all likely, as was common with the comic books in the past?
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Why is Marvel doing better then DC right now? Well lets look at the lineup.

Marvel
    Blade -- Just about the coolest vamp hunter around. 3 good movies
    Spiderman -- an everyman peopl identify with and has had 2 good movies
    X-Men series -- 2 good movies with great ensemble cast
    Daredevil -- decent movie but could have been better
    Electra -- decent movie but could have been better
    Fantastic 4 -- decent fun little movie with some cool special effects
    Iron Man --- has the potential for some great Special Effects
    Captain America -- common the classic good guy could be could but could be cheesy
    Ghost Rider --- dark has the potential for some great Special Effects
    Deathlok -- dark but could have some cool specal effects
    Iron Fist -- Im thinking great fight movie
    Hands of Shang-chi -- Im thinking cool kung fu movie

DC
    Superman -- 1 great movie, several subpar movie, characters kind of on deminsional
    Batman -- 2 Great movies and several subpar movies. The last one was one of the best comic movies Ive seen though so theres hope. Charcater has lots of potential but can become cheesey fast.
    The Flash -- I actually really liked the TV show a few years ago and this could be a good show with cool speical effects.
    Shazam --WTF?!?! got to shake my head at this one
    Catwoman --- and this was complete trash.
    Constantine -- Heard this was good but didnt see it myself, has potential.

Just MHO but Marvel Pwnds DC when it comes to making movies and great believable characters.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

i agree that marvel just outdoes DC in every aspect of comics at the moment, its characters are just made for the big screen in every way, and with CGIK as it is, all the powers can come to life so much better than in the comics.
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

Marvel has been doing far better movies then DC in the last few years. However I´m afraid that Marvel may be over reaching a bit these days and making movies about characters that very few people know or care about.

The reason for Marvels success so far has been that they´ve made movies about world famous characters that everyone wants to see. Spider-man, Fantastic four, Hulk (I loved that movie btw), X-men, Blade (the first one was good, the others not so good though ok). Now these are heavy hitters but some of the people getting movies now I have never heard of. If many of these smaller movies do badly it can tained the whole genre and cause people to stay away from good movies. It also risks viewe fatigue as people get tried of these types of movies (though not me, I can never get enough of them).

DC has so far been much more selective, they know that they don´t have as many big names to throw around and are being very careful in how they go about it. They´ve got Joss Whedon doing Wonder Woman which should be great, the guy knows how to write strong women. They´ve also got Goyer writing (and directing?) a Flash movie starring Ryan Renolds (most likely) which again has the potential to be great. The new Superman movie seems to be shaping up well, good director helming it and I just hope he did well with picking Brandonn Ruth (a nobody) for the role.

Comment

Personally, i like both, but i like Marvel better. Whedon's work on the X-men comics just made me love the comics again, in which im hoping his verson of Wonder Woman will make me love her again as well.
          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
            Well lets look at the lineup.

Marvel
            Blade -- Just about the coolest vamp hunter around. 3 good movies
            Spiderman -- an everyman peopl identify with and has had 2 good movies
            X-Men series -- 2 good movies with great ensemble cast
            Daredevil -- decent movie but could have been better
            Electra -- decent movie but could have been better
            Fantastic 4 -- decent fun little movie with some cool special effects
            Iron Man --- has the potential for some great Special Effects
            Captain America -- common the classic good guy could be could but could be cheesy
            Ghost Rider --- dark has the potential for some great Special Effects
            Deathlok -- dark but could have some cool specal effects
            Iron Fist -- Im thinking great fight movie
            Hands of Shang-chi -- Im thinking cool kung fu movie

DC
            Superman -- 1 great movie, several subpar movie, characters kind of on deminsional
            Batman -- 2 Great movies and several subpar movies. The last one was one of the best comic movies Ive seen though so theres hope. Charcater has lots of potential but can become cheesey fast.
            The Flash -- I actually really liked the TV show a few years ago and this could be a good show with cool speical effects.
            Shazam --WTF?!?! got to shake my head at this one
            Catwoman --- and this was complete trash.
            Constantine -- Heard this was good but didnt see it myself, has potential.
            Well somebody knows their lineups
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X