PDA

View Full Version : General Hammond deserves Four Stars

Major Tyler
July 7th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Very insy weensy, itty bitty, little, minor season 8, you-probably-already-knew-anyway-but-I'd-better-warn-just-in-case-*SPOILER* below.
In Season 8 Major General Hammond finally gets promoted to Lt. General (three star). I personally believe that this promotion was *way* overdue and I hope he gets deep-selected to full General very soon. George Hammond has been an amazing leader, and a wonderful example to the men and women under his command. His desicions, just as much as SG-1's actions, have saved Earth many times over.

I want a Four-Star General Hammond...better yet, George Hammond for PRESIDENT!

gate traveler
July 7th, 2004, 05:36 PM
I'd vote Hammond for president.

AgentX
July 7th, 2004, 05:46 PM
I don't know if: Ran top secret government program for seven years, dealing with fate of the planet stuff would look good on one's resume for President.

I'd still vote for him though...If it were possible.

Ace
July 7th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Very insy weensy, itty bitty, little, minor season 8, you-probably-already-knew-anyway-but-I'd-better-warn-just-in-case-*SPOILER* below.
In Season 8 Major General Hammond finally gets promoted to Lt. General (three star). I personally believe that this promotion was *way* overdue and I hope he gets deep-selected to full General very soon. George Hammond has been an amazing leader, and a wonderful example to the men and women under his command. His desicions, just as much as SG-1's actions, have saved Earth many times over.

I want a Four-Star General Hammond...better yet, George Hammond for PRESIDENT!

Are you sure he gets promoted to Lt. General? As far as I can tell he appears to only have gotten a promotion in position and not in rank. I couldn't tell from the pictures of him in the Atlantis episode "Home", but it did look like he was still only wearing two stars!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but pictures don't lie!

Ace

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but pictures don't lie!
yes they do. They lie all the time!

Ace
July 7th, 2004, 06:04 PM
yes they do. They lie all the time!

Care to give an example? :S

Ace

David
July 7th, 2004, 06:05 PM
There's a shot of Amanda Tapping and Michael Shanks kissing in the "Resurrection" gallery that wasn't in the show, but as far as outfits are concerned, I think what you see is canon ;)

Ace
July 7th, 2004, 06:08 PM
There's a shot of Amanda Tapping and Michael Shanks kissing in the "Resurrection" gallery that wasn't in the show, but as far as outfits are concerned, I think what you see is canon ;)

Touche :) However like you said we aren't discussing two characters action, but instead their outfits and in these case the uniform General Hammond wears. Which from the picture in Home has only 2 stars on it. :(

Would be nice to see an extra star on his uniform though!

Ace

Vyse
July 7th, 2004, 06:10 PM
I definetly would vote for Hammond for President, he is way better than all of the current candidates :D !

bcmilco
July 7th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Wouldn't they refer to it as a re-assignment if he weren't getting a promotion? :confused:

::Hammond for President!:: :p

Ace
July 7th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Wouldn't they refer to it as a re-assignment if he weren't getting a promotion? :confused:

::Hammond for President!:: :p

Minor Spoilers Season 8

Not necessarily... reassignment suggest a lateral move, wheras a promotion means vertical.

Moving from the Commander of the SGC to being incharge of all things related to the Stargate, including "Homeworld Defense" is definately a vertical move.

But promotion does not always mean a change in rank. For instance if you were the Commander of the Pacific Fleet for the US Navy, you would be wearing 4 stars on your uniform. If you were then promoted to Chief of Naval Operations, you would still be wearing 4 stars on your uniform. But you would have been promoted to the highest ranking member of the Navy.

I wouldn't consider that a reassignment but instead a promotion, as I believe most other people would.

Ace

David85
July 7th, 2004, 06:44 PM
I'm not a military expert, I know very little, but my sister and I were talking about how many stars he has, it's also difficult for them to raise and we came to the conclusion that in order to get 5 stars you have to PUBLICLY save the world. :-D

Major Tyler
July 7th, 2004, 06:46 PM
I may have mistook the button on Hammond's shoulder strap for a third star (in the "Home" picture). If that is the case, I'm even more upset.

Ace
July 7th, 2004, 06:47 PM
I'm not a military expert, I know very little, but my sister and I were talking about how many stars he has, it's also difficult for them to raise and we came to the conclusion that in order to get 5 stars you have to PUBLICLY save the world. :-D

You would also have to be in the middle of a Congress declared war! :D As that is the only way a person is allowed to gain a 5th star. It is reserved for war time status.

The 5th star was mainly used in WWII so that American commanders would not be outranked by their British counterparts who attained the rank of Field Marshal. As was Eisenhower's case! ;)

Ace

Ace
July 7th, 2004, 06:50 PM
I may have mistook the button on Hammond's shoulder strap for a third star (in the "Home" picture). If that is the case, I'm even more upset.

Yeah...I know, I thought that is probably what happened. ;) Maybe we should start a petition!

GiveGeneralHammondAThirdStar.com :D

P.S. Sorry in advanced for mocking several well known Stargate websites. But I couldn't resist.

Ace

bcmilco
July 7th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Minor Spoilers Season 8

Not necessarily... reassignment suggest a lateral move, wheras a promotion means vertical.

Moving from the Commander of the SGC to being incharge of all things related to the Stargate, including "Homeworld Defense" is definately a vertical move.

But promotion does not always mean a change in rank. For instance if you were the Commander of the Pacific Fleet for the US Navy, you would be wearing 4 stars on your uniform. If you were then promoted to Chief of Naval Operations, you would still be wearing 4 stars on your uniform. But you would have been promoted to the highest ranking member of the Navy.

I wouldn't consider that a reassignment but instead a promotion, as I believe most other people would.

Ace

Ah, when you put it like that it makes perfect sense ;)

Thanks!

Anubis
July 7th, 2004, 11:08 PM
As much as Hammond being the President would be great, I don't see it happening. But still, maybe now Vice President now that Kinsey has gone?

KorbenDirewolf
July 8th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Just can't see Hammond going into politics for any reason.

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 11:08 AM
No, he probably wouldn't. If he was offered the job he'd probably say "I'll accept retirement and nothing else". I know Hammond wants to retire

David
July 8th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Hammond will have an interesting dynamic with a few key players now that he's on the outskirts. I cannot wait to see how he develops as a character.

Ace
July 8th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Hammond will have an interesting dynamic with a few key players now that he's on the outskirts. I cannot wait to see how he develops as a character.

Hehe a Hammond vs Kinsey showdown!! :D Now that's something to look forward to!

Ace

David
July 8th, 2004, 03:27 PM
It's something we might very-well see.

KorbenDirewolf
July 8th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Would be interesed in seeing how his job in Washington goes.

BringerOfLight
July 8th, 2004, 05:01 PM
I imagine that someone will eventually get around to giving him a third star. It would help if we petitioned whoever makes the series to give him a third star or better yet a fourth star by jumping him two ranks.

Torley
July 8th, 2004, 08:07 PM
The promotions our fave characters are getting seem awfully slow in light of everything they've done in the service!

Elmseeker
July 8th, 2004, 10:16 PM
I don't know if: Ran top secret government program for seven years, dealing with fate of the planet stuff would look good on one's resume for President.

I'd still vote for him though...If it were possible.
Why not? It worked well for former President/Former Head of CIA Bush?

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 11:13 PM
A Hammond/Kinsey showdown would be great. I am certain Hammond has double the amount of army Kinsey does! :D

STG-1
July 10th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Please help me here, but isn't this a Sci-Fi TV show? Sci-Fi shows can do whatever they want. This one bends the rules when they don't have the time to research something.

First, in this series they have Jack's new office showing a certificate that is from the "United States Air Force Space Systems Command", no such thing. It's "Air Force Space Command" or the "U.S. Space Command", both of which are lead by Four-Star generals.

Second, the StarGate Command (SGC) should have been StarGate Center from the beginning since it clearly falls under the Air Force Space Command (AFSPC), and you can't have a Command within a Command. In addition, it is the "Centers" that have either two- or three-star officers in charge.

If the SGC was a "Separate Operating Agency", and there are a few, it would still be called a "Center" and not a "Command" since "Commands" require four-star flag officers. (Note: a "flag" officer is called a General in the USAF, US Army or USMC, and an Admiral in the US Navy or USCG. They all have their own "flag", note the blue one in Jack's office).

Third, the President of the U.S. can recommend the promotion of anyone he wants to whatever rank he wants. After all, he is the Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Armed Forces! However, it still does take an Act of Congress to approve the promotion. But in this case (helping to save the world yet again) I don't think that there would be any problem with Hammond getting his third or even fourth star to go along with his new position as commander of the entire earth-space defense force or whatever its called. However, there is a limit to the amount of four-stars generals that the USAF can have, and it's currently 13. FYI - The USMC can only have one.

David
July 10th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Great info, STG-1! Thanks!

Anubis
July 10th, 2004, 09:57 AM
That's some good quality information. Good going

Beatrice Otter
July 10th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Please help me here, but isn't this a Sci-Fi TV show? Sci-Fi shows can do whatever they want. This one bends the rules when they don't have the time to research something.

First, in this series they have Jack's new office showing a certificate that is from the "United States Air Force Space Systems Command", no such thing. It's "Air Force Space Command" or the "U.S. Space Command", both of which are lead by Four-Star generals.

Second, the StarGate Command (SGC) should have been StarGate Center from the beginning since it clearly falls under the Air Force Space Command (AFSPC), and you can't have a Command within a Command. In addition, it is the "Centers" that have either two- or three-star officers in charge.

If the SGC was a "Separate Operating Agency", and there are a few, it would still be called a "Center" and not a "Command" since "Commands" require four-star flag officers. (Note: a "flag" officer is called a General in the USAF, US Army or USMC, and an Admiral in the US Navy or USCG. They all have their own "flag", note the blue one in Jack's office).

Third, the President of the U.S. can recommend the promotion of anyone he wants to whatever rank he wants. After all, he is the Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Armed Forces! However, it still does take an Act of Congress to approve the promotion. But in this case (helping to save the world yet again) I don't think that there would be any problem with Hammond getting his third or even fourth star to go along with his new position as commander of the entire earth-space defense force or whatever its called. However, there is a limit to the amount of four-stars generals that the USAF can have, and it's currently 13. FYI - The USMC can only have one.

Ooh, good info on the problems with calling it the "Stargate _Command_". They could use that in an ep! (Or some great fanfic writer could use it in a story--any takers?) Forex, old friend of Jack's (who has no idea what he's been doing the last 7+ years) shows up to go fishing, or something. Is shocked to hear Jack is now a general (because lets face it--a smart-alec spec-ops colonel with an authority problem is not normally the kind of officer one promotes to general). Hears something about Jack commanding a _command_, and needs an explanation. Or maybe one of Hammond's friends, who does some digging to find out why his friend (who seven years ago was on the verge of retirement) not only didn't retire, but is now getting some mysterious new job and a promotion, hears something about it and wants to know how a two-star general got a "Command." Could be interesting.

Anubis
July 10th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Good idea, and I like the fishing part

Janus
July 10th, 2004, 10:21 AM
However, there is a limit to the amount of four-stars generals that the USAF can have, and it's currently 13. FYI - The USMC can only have one.

So, make him a three star.
A promotion is a promotion.

Anubis
July 10th, 2004, 10:22 AM
I agree, three stars is perfect

Elitenova
July 10th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Was there a threat on Hammond being president?

Beatrice Otter
July 10th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Ooh, good info on the problems with calling it the "Stargate _Command_". They could use that in an ep! (Or some great fanfic writer could use it in a story--any takers?) Forex, old friend of Jack's (who has no idea what he's been doing the last 7+ years) shows up to go fishing, or something. Is shocked to hear Jack is now a general (because lets face it--a smart-alec spec-ops colonel with an authority problem is not normally the kind of officer one promotes to general). Hears something about Jack commanding a _command_, and needs an explanation. Or maybe one of Hammond's friends, who does some digging to find out why his friend (who seven years ago was on the verge of retirement) not only didn't retire, but is now getting some mysterious new job and a promotion, hears something about it and wants to know how a two-star general got a "Command." Could be interesting.

Heh. Yes, I am replying to myself, but I just came up with an "explanation" for how a two-star got a "command." Would it be possible for General West (from the movie) to be a 4-star? There are enough rank and other continuity problems between the movie and the series to cover it even if he was a two or three star in the movie. It could be a command that way. West moves on to other things, and since all they're doing is putting the gate in storage and shutting things down, they don't want to waste a 4-star on it, which is how Hammond (a 2-star) got it; they just didn't take the time to change the name. Then, the gate becomes active, the program gets restarted, and Hammond is already in charge and they decide not to rock the boat and just let it slide. (Does anyone else get the feeling that nobody outside the SGC proper has a real clue about how important the Stargate is during the first season and a half? I've always got that feeling.) And by the time it's apparent just how important the SGC is to the continued existence of this planet and everyone on it, Hammond is long established and the Air Force decides to just live with the inconsistency.

What do you think? Does it work?

Janus
July 11th, 2004, 05:36 AM
I think so.

Ancient 1
August 7th, 2004, 11:35 PM
I definetly would vote for Hammond for President, he is way better than all of the current candidates :D !
Knowing what we know, (and of course we wouldn't if this was RL), naturally we would vote for him. The problem is with the way political campaigns are run these days. If the press didn't uncover the Stargate program, (and something tells me they would...another Deepthroat), It would be continually brought up that he can't account for the last 7 years of service, of the other side would spin it in a very negative direction...bvlack ops and all that jazz.

Major Fischer
August 8th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Sure, Hammond deserves a third or forth star... but than again, O'Neill and Carter deserve Medals of Honor* (saving the planet... yet again), or at the very least Air Force Crosses, but they don't get them.

The answer I think is that they are trying to keep the SGC as low key as possible, and general's promotions have to go through Congress. That very proceedure may be way he doens't have a third star, because they don't want to be calling that kind of attention (the same logic as to why O'Neill and Carter don't get the country's highest awards for saving the world... over and over and over again).

*Before someone points it' out, the reason they don't is likely more a production issue. It's illegal to make copies of the MoH, unlike other military medals.

SensesFail062
August 9th, 2004, 07:31 AM
not to be the party pooper...BUT ITS A TV SHOW!!!!!!! (still is good research prooving them wrong though)

shw77
October 29th, 2004, 12:27 PM
spolier space

i could of swore at the end of new order, when jack finds out he will be promoted he is told that hammon was promote, someone with the episode on type check

Ugly Pig
October 29th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Yes, that was said - but no-one said it was a promotion in rank.

Major_Griff
October 29th, 2004, 12:33 PM
AHHHH... Guys I don't think that we can take "Home as any kind of proof of Hammond's rank. It was all and allusion, and there were several inconsistancies, Shep's buddies being alive, that chick all of a sudden being into McKay, and it seamed that Hammond was in charge of the SGC still, when I noticed the two stars, I assumed that that was one of the inconsistancies of the allusion. I think we'll have to wait untill Hammond make a guest apearance on SG-1 to see how many stars he has.

greytop
October 29th, 2004, 01:18 PM
I imagine that someone will eventually get around to giving him a third star. It would help if we petitioned whoever makes the series to give him a third star or better yet a fourth star by jumping him two ranks.
Third star first, I don't think they jump ranks for that execpt in war.

But Hammond does deserve a promotion.

Lt. Elliot
October 29th, 2004, 01:43 PM
hammond For President 2008!! :d

tiamut
November 3rd, 2004, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=Major Fischer]Sure, Hammond deserves a third or forth star... but than again, O'Neill and Carter deserve Medals of Honor* (saving the planet... yet again), or at the very least Air Force Crosses, but they don't get them.

Also, medals and decorations are issued with a citation explaining why you got said medal/decoration. Given that the SGC is a secret operation, it (theoretically) must have been interesting to write the citations for Jack & Sam's Air Medals, without giving away top secret information.

Could you see some reviewer looking at a citation for "saving the planet from alien invasion" or equivalent such wording? And having some processing clerk look at it and go "Yeah, right. What were you smoking, buddy?", then stamp it "DENIED" or toss it in the trash?

Lord Zedd
November 3rd, 2004, 10:40 AM
hammond For President 2008!! :d
hahahaha that would be great.Who has won the elections in the US?Bush or Kerry? But you don't know how Heyes is going to turn out during the seasons

Beatrice Otter
November 4th, 2004, 11:29 AM
hahahaha that would be great.Who has won the elections in the US?Bush or Kerry? But you don't know how Heyes is going to turn out during the seasons
Well, not only did Bush win, but the Republicans control both House and Senate, and the Democratic congressional leader did _not_ get elected. Interesting times ahead.

Of course, that isn't necessarily any indication of the way things are in the Stargate universe. I mean, they haven't even mentioned 9/11, or Iraq. And they pretty much ignore purely terrestrial politics.

Madeleine
November 4th, 2004, 11:31 AM
...in the Stargate universe. I mean, they haven't even mentioned 9/11, or Iraq. And they pretty much ignore purely terrestrial politics.

Thank goodness. We have enough politics around here as it is :p

greytop
November 4th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Thank goodness. We have enough politics around here as it is :p
Amen to that.

Beatrice Otter
November 5th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Amen to that.

Oh, yeah. And thank goodness the election's finally over in rl.

Kanten
November 5th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Of course, that isn't necessarily any indication of the way things are in the Stargate universe. I mean, they haven't even mentioned 9/11, or Iraq. And they pretty much ignore purely terrestrial politics.

Well, in SG-A Rising Pt. 1 they talk about Sheppard's "black mark" trying to save 2 soldiers in Afghanistan. And SG-A Home SPOILERS Sheppard's two friends were shot down and killed in one of those middle eastern countries if I remember correctly

Whether or not those have any connection to current events is entirely up to the audience.

Atomic Edge
December 7th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Big old Atlantis Episode Home Spoiler
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
But in the Episode home he only has 2 Stars, but then its not really him is it, its actually reconstructed from the Atlantis Teams memories, and I doubt they would have seen him as a 3 Star, only McKay would have met him (I believe) and when he did, he was only 2 Star

Red_Leader
December 8th, 2004, 01:06 AM
**************Spoilers for PROMETHEUS UNBOUND***************

As you can see from the first pic from stargate-project.com, General Hammond did get promoted to a 3star General. When we see him in 'Home' the is a representation of how the atlantis team remember him it's not him!

3Star General Hammond (http://www.sg-atlantis.info/stargate/index.php?seite=episodenguide&aktion=showfolge&ID=166)

aeromathlete
December 8th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Hammond's a great character, and regardless of his rank right now, if he stays in the AF long enough, he might yet make the 4th star. But Red Leader is correct in that he is currently a 3-star Lieutenant General.

Major Tyler
December 8th, 2004, 07:21 AM
**************Spoilers for PROMETHEUS UNBOUND***************

As you can see from the first pic from stargate-project.com, General Hammond did get promoted to a 3star General. When we see him in 'Home' the is a representation of how the atlantis team remember him it's not him!Thanks for this! I feel a lot better now. :D

shw77
December 15th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Spoiler space from season 6-7-8
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'

If hammand was to run for president he would be in charge of deep space research for 7 years then "homeworld security" for whatever years, i think he is a 3 star in control of SGC, the ships (promutus n delcuse *i cant spell greek names very well), and area 51, and i remember readin that in atlantis it is hammand's order to put a miliatry person in charge of atlantis