This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Asgard and future of the SGC

How do you think it would affect the show if the StarGate program were made public and how do you think people would react to the truth about the aliens?
    Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Opposed too a lot of people, I don´t think panic etc. would break out. I think the world would accept the news in a pretty orderly fascion. Of cource a lot of people would not believe it, until they saw it with their own eyes. But in reality, most people believe what the media and the "collective acknowledgement" tells you is true.

It all depends on which paradigm shift you are living in. Before Gallileo and Newton the aristotelian universe was so dominant that a lot of people refused to believe in the new theories. But eventually the new paradigm sept through society. The same thing would happen if SGC was made public.

Of course, a lot of religions all over the world, would have to do some theological modifications. But they would not really be threatened. The Roman Catholic church, for example, has played around with these thoughts for quite some time. So they would already have played mindgames enough to cope with this new reality.

Give it some years, and the paradigm shift would seep through...
    /Comblin
    The masochist said to the sadist
    - hit me!
    The sadist answered
    - no...

Comment

I have to agree. There would be a few uprisings but on a whole I think the world would be ready to accept the Stargate programme and the alien allies
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I'm deffinitly ready to accept that the Stargate is real
        Oh wait i already know its real... Thor and my other asgard buddies send their regards to everyone at GW
        The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

religious panic and riots

Comment

I think more people would focus on how long they've been lied to, not what they've been lied to about. People would probably accept the reality pretty well, but would never trust our governments again.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
              I think more people would focus on how long they've been lied to, not what they've been lied to about. People would probably accept the reality pretty well, but would never trust our governments again.
              Yep, i know i'd be pissed if the president or prime minister (i live in Australia...) came on TV and said, "ok everyone, for the past ten years, we've been hiding the fact that Alienc excist, oh, we've almost been blown up....-holds up fingers and counts- nine times now! Thank you and goodnight..."

I'd be on the porch with the rest of my hill-billy buddys running down the street with my shotgun, hunting down steve irwin and kiling him...Then i'd go in an orderly manner like a proper Australian would do and complain.

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Oh i think that would be so cool, and probably a bit frightening at the same time. (in regards to a real-life revelation like this, not one in the SG universe).
                It would be a huge mass of information to absorb, assuming it was all made publicly available.
                I think the knowledge of inter-GALACTIC travel and Ancient tech would create a HUGE wealth of business, and subsequently technology, and galactic expansion.
                And ohhhhh, the theological debates, discussions, and possibly battles that would ensue....
                I wonder if making the Ori publicly known would be a bad thing. There are plenty of wackos out there who might support the Ori for no good reason, even after being given the facts.

Pryor of the Ori

Comment

Originally posted by zephc
                  And ohhhhh, the theological debates, discussions, and possibly battles that would ensue....
                  I wonder if making the Ori publicly known would be a bad thing. There are plenty of wackos out there who might support the Ori for no good reason, even after being given the facts.
                  True. However don't forget the scientific debates either...! The revelation that the evolution of mankind was planned by the Ancients would rock the scientific world. Also, we'd finally know what killed of the dinosaurs... That massive Dakara device re-setting life on Earth. Also, the revelations that time travel, interstellar travel, and a host of other things would rock the science world as well. Many scientist would have to begin operating under the knowledge that they were wrong about a lot of things that were possible. On the other hand, some scientist might be vindicated. Like Dr. Jackson for instance... He was laughed out of Acadamia, but once the truth is revealed, all of anthropology and archaeology, will have to bow before his titan intellect..! On the other hand, fringe groups like the Raelians will feel vindicated too... Despite the fact that no aliens will admit to having anything to do with them.

In addition the knowledge that it could be possible to ascend to a higher plane of existence would rejuvinate Buddhism, with perhaps some modifications provided by additional ancient knowledge on the subject. I wonder if Dr. Jackson would get some kind of nut-following? "Ooooh..! He was an ascended being..! Daniel teach us your wisdom..!" Hopefully the new knowledge that the Ori are lying would help, but of course there are nuts to whom that wouldn't matter. They'd just assume that the government was lying again. On the otherhand, people are so strongly invested in the religions here on Earth already, I think the Ori would have a difficult time getting the majority of the planet to fall under their sway.
                  The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                  Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                  My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                  Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

all valid points, my dream would be that knowlege of the stargate race would( if this was all real) destabalise religion so that it just doesnt exist, sure ascension is a process towards everlasting life, something that has always been sought, but other religions are worthless IMO....so if public SG revelations get al religions destroyed im all for it.
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                      all valid points, my dream would be that knowlege of the stargate race would( if this was all real) destabalise religion so that it just doesnt exist, sure ascension is a process towards everlasting life, something that has always been sought, but other religions are worthless IMO....so if public SG revelations get al religions destroyed im all for it.
                      You know... religions aren't all bad. I only have problems with the fringe extreme elements. Most religious people are kind, charitable, and peaceful people who want nothing more than to provide for their families and live in peace. This constant thrashing of all religions everywhere is really getting on my nerves, because I know they don't deserve it. There are certain points on which some religious people might seem fanatical on, but for the most part in my experiance religions have done more good than bad. In times of great need religions have provided order and stability in the lives of many who wouldn't have it otherwise. Allow me to use the Amish for example. They may seem a bit backwards, but they have a life that is in many ways to be revered. They take care of each other, and work together closely to provide for each other. An Amish person knows that his neighbors will not leave him desolate. They will band together to build him a house, and a barn. They would provide him with a horse and tools, along with the land and supplies to begin farming for himself. They don't use advanced technology, but they are completely self-sufficient. If some apocalyptic event occured, I'd feel safer with Amish people who new how to do things without technology than with some scientist. If the Stargate were revealed... you know what the Amish would do? They'd just keep on living like they are. They are steady, like a rock in the wind. That is to be admired, and in my opinion possibly even emulated to an extent. I know I have great admiration for them. There are a few Amish families that live near where my family is from in Ohio, and they are well known for building the best homes of anyone in the area. They don't use power tools, they use their old-fashioned hand tools. They are reknowned for their quality workmanship.
                      The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                      Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                      My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                      Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                        Most religious people are kind, charitable, and peaceful people who want nothing more than to provide for their families and live in peace. This constant thrashing of all religions everywhere is really getting on my nerves, because I know they don't deserve it.
                        Hear hear!!!
                        /Comblin
                        The masochist said to the sadist
                        - hit me!
                        The sadist answered
                        - no...

Comment

its not the people i have a problem with, it the very nature, concept and purpose religion serves.
                          The nature of religion is to bend the will of humanity for an end that is unknown to all its followers until it is revealed upon death in any form.
                          the concept that there is an all knowing, all powerful and ever present being is absurd in my view, not being no matter how far and how vivid you imagination could fathom would ever be able to comprhend how vast, how deep the universe is. the universe is infvinite, knowledge and thoguhts and memorys are constantly evolving and changing....wheater it be what im going to eat later or the destruction of a solar system in a super nova.
                          nothing i could ever imagnie to know everything; every thought, every memory, every word, ever spoken, every speck of dust, every planet every star, and every person, in the history of an infinate and ever changing universe.

also my main argument against religion is that throught history religion has cause the death of almost every human in one form or another, either as the cause of wars and genecide, to ritual sacarfice to a scape goat for the crusades, slavery,terrorism and murder..........religion in my mind has cause 95% of all the deaths in the history of the world, since the dawn of civilization and beyond.
                          things religion has been the cause of, the excuse or scape goat for that i cna think of without serious research:

*war
                          *the crusades muslims vs christian
                          *hitler - aeryns vs jews
                          *terrorism
                          *racism
                          *slavery ( christian masters, heathen slaves)
                          *ritual sacrafice

i just hate the way religious people ignore the history of their religion, sure the bible is about the past but the bible could of been writen by anybody, JRR tolkien wrote LotRs but do we prey to frodo and gandalf like we do jesus and god; no because we know its just a story...hey maybe in 1000 years some alien pick up LotR with no front cover ( terefore no authur ect) and prey to gandalf i dont know. what i do know is that in a modern society where science and technolgy is being used to fund wars that are based on religion ( terror war = terrorism(religious war)+ US weapons built through science ) is a society that need to find a common purpose in , and look at religion as something we got over and got past, like slavery, once it was all the rage now its a crime against humanity. and that to me is what religion is, a crime against humanity, a crime agianst life.

immhotep
                          sigpic
                          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                          Stargate : Genesis |
                          Original Starship DesignThread
                          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                          11000! green me

Comment

It would cause Moral Panic that could start of a world war.
                            However I wont be against it ill be there cheering and going 'now I know its real yay !!!'
                            Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Working...
                            X