PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Doctor

creed462
September 23rd, 2005, 12:35 PM
Now I haven't seen too many of his eps, but what do people think about either Patrick Thronton and his performance or the Doctor himself.

Rowana
September 23rd, 2005, 01:46 PM
I like him, he's one of my favorites. :) I love his playful attitude and yet he's always got some sceme going. Plus he's got Jamie, which is a big boost for me! :D

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
September 23rd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Now I haven't seen too many of his eps, but what do people think about either Peter Thronton and his performance or the Doctor himself.You must mean Patrick Troughton, right?

I'll assume that's what you meant. When William Hartnell left, they gambled and brought in a completely different actor, introducing a concept to the series that would ensure its longevity.

Patrick Troughton's performance saved the series. After viewing all extant episodes, I was deeply impressed with his ad-libs. He and Frazier Hines (Jamie) often improvised changes to the scenes and always had fun on the set which showed in their performance. They were a classic comic duo.

There was something very reassuring about his character. As a kid, you felt safe watching his stories. One day, I'd like to show them to my niece and nephew.

What episodes of his have you folks seen?

creed462
September 23rd, 2005, 10:34 PM
Sorry about the wrong name, I corrected It. thanks

creed462
September 24th, 2005, 05:47 PM
I always though it was neat the unique pair that Jamie and the doctor made.

Egeria
September 24th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I adored Patrick Troughton. He was my dads favourite Doctor, and from an early age he drilled into me he was the 'best' Doctor. Whilst not my favourite, I have a huge soft spot for him, probably because he reminds me of my dad.

I've not seen all of his episodes but I love Tomb of the Cybermen, then again I am a Cybermen 'fangurl', so I might be biased.:)

September 24th, 2005, 06:08 PM
I adored Patrick Troughton. He was my dads favourite Doctor, and from an early age he drilled into me he was the 'best' Doctor. Whilst not my favourite, I have a huge soft spot for him, probably because he reminds me of my dad.

I've not seen all of his episodes but I love Tomb of the Cybermen, then again I am a Cybermen 'fangurl', so I might be biased.:)It was definitely a classic.

"If anyone is afraid, leave the room right now...not you, Jamie."

Rowana
September 24th, 2005, 07:44 PM
I haven't seen as many as I wish I could. I have seen almost all his complete stories; Dominators is one of my favorites. I just love the way the Doctor and Jamie work together in that one; plus the quarks are cute! ;) I also have a few of the stories on audio, like Web of Fear: that one is really creepy; especially without picture!

September 24th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I haven't seen as many as I wish I could. I have seen almost all his complete stories; Dominators is one of my favorites. I just love the way the Doctor and Jamie work together in that one; plus the quarks are cute! ;) I also have a few of the stories on audio, like Web of Fear: that one is really creepy; especially without picture!I read The Web of Fear novelization, but the CDs are currently too expensive for me.

The Dominators is my favorite Troughton story too.

"Quarks, destroy! Total destruction!"

"Those are the clever ones. We don't like them. They always telling us what to do."

"Don't worry, Jamie. The eruption will only affect the island."
"Maybe so...but we happen to be on the island."
"Oh, my word!"

Rowana
September 25th, 2005, 10:03 AM
The Dominators is my favorite Troughton story too.

"Quarks, destroy! Total destruction!"

"Those are the clever ones. We don't like them. They always telling us what to do."

"Don't worry, Jamie. The eruption will only affect the island."
"Maybe so...but we happen to be on the island."
"Oh, my word!"

LOL! :D

"Jamie! It's a brillian idea! It's so simple only you could have thought of it."

creed462
September 25th, 2005, 11:13 AM
I saw the thrid eps of Menice from the Deep, I was so said to find out that was the only availible ep.

September 25th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I saw the thrid eps of Menice from the Deep, I was so said to find out that was the only availible ep.The Lost in Time Collection contains the following Patrick Troughton episodes:
The Underwater Menace part 3
The Moonbase part 2 & 4
The Faceless Ones part 1 & 3
The Evil of the Daleks part 2
The Abominable Snowman part 2
The Enemy of the World part 3
The Web of Fear part 1
The Wheel in Space part 3 & 6
The Space Pirates part 2

After viewing these, you really begin to understand the loss to the franchise.

Rowana
September 25th, 2005, 11:49 AM
The Lost in Time Collection contains the following Patrick Troughton episodes:
The Underwater Menace part 3
The Moonbase part 2 & 4
The Faceless Ones part 1 & 3
The Evil of the Daleks part 2
The Abominable Snowman part 2
The Enemy of the World part 3
The Web of Fear part 1
The Wheel in Space part 3 & 6
The Space Pirates part 2

After viewing these, you really begin to understand the loss to the franchise.

It's really sad. :( So much that we will probably never get to see. The second doctor really got hit bad too, worse than the first.

September 25th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Has anyone seen The Seeds of Death yet? Love the scenes with the balloons and suds...ahem, I mean exploding fungus. :rolleyes:

Rowana
September 25th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Has anyone seen The Seeds of Death yet? Love the scenes with the balloons and suds...ahem, I mean exploding fungus. :rolleyes:

I have. Balloons...lol! :D That was a neat one!

creed462
September 29th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Yea It's one of the one I own. It's great I love how the Doctor fakes his death.

September 29th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Originally, Jamie was supposed to leave in the prior story, and Nick from the moonbase was considered as the new companion. But Patrick convinced Frazier Hines to stick it out and leave with him at the end of the season.

Rowana
September 29th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Originally, Jamie was supposed to leave in the prior story, and Nick from the moonbase was considered as the new companion. But Patrick convinced Frazier Hines to stick it out and leave with him at the end of the season.

Hooray for Patrick! War Games just wouldn't be the same without Jamie.

September 29th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Hooray for Patrick! War Games just wouldn't be the same without Jamie.
Doctor Who Season 6: War Games
Especially the scene when Jamie & Zoe are forced to part company with him. Very very sad. :(

creed462
October 2nd, 2005, 04:52 PM
Yea it wouldn't Jamie made such a good contrast to the second doctor, And the Doctor defence man, not even they could argue agaist it.

October 6th, 2005, 04:39 PM
"The official Doctor Who website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2005/09/21/24786.shtml) has made available the brief clips recovered after fans spotted them being broadcast several weeks ago on a BBC2 series called "Sunday Past times". The clips show a Dalek production line and Daleks outside a space capsule. The footage will reportedly be included on a DVD release next year."

creed462
October 6th, 2005, 05:47 PM
You know if stuff like this just pops up why can't they just send someone to go through their flim... WHo knows what the BBC has under their nose.

October 6th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Money.

creed462
October 7th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Has anyone seen the Mind Robber yet?

Metarock Sam
October 7th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Don't you mean the mind robber ??
Anyway it is a great second doctor story and I liked it.

October 7th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Has anyone seen the Mind Robber yet?Yes. In fact, I just got the DVD recently and reviewed it. Not your typical Doctor Who story, yet not unprecedented. The Celestial Toymaker came first.

Apparently, the BBC management gave up on the story because they considered it too silly. So everyone in the actual production of the story rallied, put in extra time and effort to make it work, and it became an instant classic.

Best I could do. Don't want to give anything away.

creed462
October 7th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I might buy it soon

Rowana
October 8th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I need to buy it, it's one of the few I haven't seen yet. I heard they had a different actor for Jamie, 'cause Fraser Hines had chicken pox.

creed462
October 8th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Thats what I've heard.

October 8th, 2005, 01:40 PM
I need to buy it, it's one of the few I haven't seen yet. I heard they had a different actor for Jamie, 'cause Fraser Hines had chicken pox.Hamish Wilson played Jamie in part of the story.

Wait until you see how they switch the actors... ;)

creed462
October 10th, 2005, 11:39 AM
What did they Do? Make it look like a regeration?

October 10th, 2005, 03:14 PM
What did they Do? Make it look like a regeration?

Doctor Who Season 6: The Mind Robber
Trapped in the Land of Fiction, Jamie gets shot by a fictional redcoat. It turns him into two-dimensional cut-out.

The Doctor is presented with a puzzle. After he figures it out, Jamie's face disappears and he is presented with another puzzle...reassemble Jamie's face. He gets it wrong, so Jamie comes back to life as Hamish Wilson.

This lasts one episode and then he goes through the process again, but this time Zoe is around to help the Doctor get it right.

Believe me, I didn't make this up.

creed462
October 10th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Sounds neet, it may be an eps I've been looking for a while, I say an eps with two companions locked in a book, and the Doctor was in control of the story as well as their captor.

October 10th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Sounds neet, it may be an eps I've been looking for a while, I say an eps with two companions locked in a book, and the Doctor was in control of the story as well as their captor.That's The Mind Robber alright.

Metarock Sam
October 12th, 2005, 11:21 AM
If I remeber rightly there was a unicorn in that ep too.

October 12th, 2005, 11:40 AM
If I remeber rightly there was a unicorn in that ep too.Yup.

Metarock Sam
October 13th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Hopefully when my dvd fund increases ill buy it.

October 13th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Hopefully when my dvd fund increases ill buy it.Then you can relive Zoe's epic battle with the Karkus.

creed462
October 13th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I might buy it this weekend

October 13th, 2005, 07:27 PM
I might buy it this weekendCool.

creed462
October 14th, 2005, 12:02 PM
What eps are surviving of his?

Rowana
October 14th, 2005, 12:17 PM
What eps are surviving of his?

Ok, let's see if I can remember them all.

Surviving Complete Stories: Tomb of The Cybermen, Dominators, Mind Robber, Krotons, Seeds of Death, War Games

Almost Complete Reconstructed: Ice Warriors(missing 2 of 6) and Invasion(missing 2 of 8)

If I forgot anything I apologize. All the other recovered episodes from other stories were included in the Lost in Time collection.

Hope that helps!:)

October 14th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Ok, let's see if I can remember them all.

Surviving Complete Stories: Tomb of The Cybermen, Dominators, Mind Robber, Krotons, Seeds of Death, War Games

Almost Complete Reconstructed: Ice Warriors(missing 2 of 6) and Invasion(missing 2 of 8)

If I forgot anything I apologize. All the other recovered episodes from other stories were included in the Lost in Time collection.

Hope that helps!:)Good job, my friend. Also see post #12 on this thread for a complete list of the Troughton episodes included in the Lost in Time Collection.

Metarock Sam
October 14th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I think they should release more second doctor stories there arent that many out at the moment. (and I know that many were lost so i dont need a lecture on that topic.)

October 14th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I think they should release more second doctor stories there arent that many out at the moment. (and I know that many were lost so i dont need a lecture on that topic.)Considering how many were lost, I think they are relunctant to release them. I think they are trying to stretch it out.

Half of the full stories have been released on DVD. The two almost-complete stories haven't been released, but the remaining episodes have been.

We will probably see one Troughton story a year.

Metarock Sam
October 14th, 2005, 01:02 PM
D'oh Forgot all about the lost in time boxset (I havnt got it and its part of my wishlist god I need a job for money !!!)

creed462
October 16th, 2005, 01:31 PM
In the War Games, there is a time lord called the War Lord, he looks like the master, could he be a past regenerater?

October 16th, 2005, 01:48 PM
In the War Games, there is a time lord called the War Lord, he looks like the master, could he be a past regenerater?Actually the War Lord was the ruler of War World.

The War Chief was the Time Lord.

We know the ending of War Games wasn't real, but we don't know how long the Second Doctor continued before regenerating.

Possibly within the realm of the television series.

Within the realm of the book series...no. The Master's origin was explained in The Dark Path, in which the Doctor, Jamie, and Victoria encounter him during the events that drive him to a life as a rogue.

Rowana
October 16th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Actually the War Lord was the ruler of War World.

The War Chief was the Time Lord.

We know the ending of War Games wasn't real, but we don't know how long the Second Doctor continued before regenerating.

Possibly within the realm of the television series.

Within the realm of the book series...no. The Master's origin was explained in The Dark Path, in which the Doctor, Jamie, and Victoria encounter him during the events that drive him to a life as a rogue.

Yeah, it always bothered me a bit how the Second Doctor knew the end of War Games in Five Doctors. Oh well, I try not to be too nitpicky.

creed462
October 17th, 2005, 08:45 AM
What books talk about season 6a or is it b I seen that period discribed as both

October 17th, 2005, 12:45 PM
What books talk about season 6a or is it b I seen that period discribed as both

I only found two books....

The Players by Terrance Dicks mentions the Second Doctor's Season 6b in pages 65 to 105, but it is really a Sixth Doctor story.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0563555734/002-4636289-2452029?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

World Game by Terrance Dicks is the first full story devoted to events in Season 6b. It's release date is October 25th.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0563486368/002-4636289-2452029?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

October 17th, 2005, 01:03 PM
You can find short stories for Season 6b in the Short Trip anthology series of books.

Short Trips 10
Short Trips and Side Steps 15
More Short Trips 02
Short Trips: Zodiac 09
Short Trips: Steel Skies 05
Short Trips: The Muses 09
Short Trips: Steel Skies 15

creed462
October 17th, 2005, 07:40 PM
I just saw Mind Robber, and It was the eps I was looking for, I never had relised that i Saw a doctor before Tom Baker before I came here , and now it seems I had.

October 17th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I just saw Mind Robber, and It was the eps I was looking for, I never had relised that i Saw a doctor before Tom Baker before I came here , and now it seems I had.Must have been one of those strange deja vu moments.

Metarock Sam
October 18th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Perhaps you saw old episodes in a past life.

creed462
October 19th, 2005, 03:35 PM
I notice that the "Mind Robbers" is just before "the Invasion" Is that why the Tardis is Invisible when they arrive.

October 19th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I notice that the "Mind Robbers" is just before "the Invasion" Is that why the Tardis is Invisible when they arrive.No, the TARDIS' visual stabilizer circuit was damaged in a missile attack in episode 1, making it invisible, so they go out to get replacement parts.

creed462
October 20th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Oh! Yet they really had to remember where they put it

November 14th, 2005, 05:48 PM
I just finished watching the The Power of the Daleks Reconstructed MP3-CD.

It was an excellent story. It's absence from the archive is tragic.

"I-am-your-ser-vant!"

creed462
November 15th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I listen to it to. It was great... We are your servents... yeah right, It is sad that is a lost eps, didn't they find some futage from it resently?

November 15th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I listen to it to. It was great... We are your servents... yeah right, It is sad that is a lost eps, didn't they find some futage from it resently?Yes. It's supposed to be released as an extra on a future DVD.

creed462
November 16th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Cool, but it makes your wonder how much futage is still there under there noses

November 16th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Cool, but it makes your wonder how much futage is still there under there nosesWell, who knows? After all, that's a lot of noses....

creed462
November 17th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Yes, and it funny how this stuff keeps poping up.

December 14th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Is it just me or did anyone else find the eyewear in The War Games hilarious?

Firstly, the funky glasses are pretty wacky. Anybody giggle at those?

Secondly, and here's my real point of curiousity...the normal eyewear that the bad guys wore. Did the combination of the incidental music and the acting make you giggle? It was like, "Let me erect my posture, enunciate, and hypnotize you with my bifocals. Are you viewers really buying this?"

creed462
December 15th, 2005, 09:25 AM
I didn't notice

December 15th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I didn't noticeThen did you notice how the controls of the SIDRATS were basically refrigerator magnets?

creed462
December 15th, 2005, 02:02 PM
I watched it on a very old television at my friends house. It had bad color too.

December 15th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I watched it on a very old television at my friends house. It had bad color too.You mean to say the color on his T.V. set was bad enough to affect a B&W episode?

Sounds even worse than my bedroom television.

creed462
December 16th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Yes. The T.V. was a monster from the 70's

creed462
January 19th, 2006, 01:04 PM
I heard Invasion is the next 2nd Doctor DVD to be release, What kind of extra would you what on it.

I like at least the audio for the missing eps.

January 19th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I heard Invasion is the next 2nd Doctor DVD to be release, What kind of extra would you what on it.

I like at least the audio for the missing eps.We'll definitely get those two episodes restored.

There will most likely be interviews and a featurette on U.N.I.T. since this was the first U.N.I.T. story (Web of Fear doesn't count as a U.N.I.T. story because the organization didn't exist yet).

The commentary will probably be broken up and relayed between several cast & crew members since it's eight episodes long.

creed462
January 19th, 2006, 03:10 PM
That will be neat will the restoration just be stills though

January 19th, 2006, 04:09 PM
That will be neat will the restoration just be stills thoughI don't have that information yet.

In some releases, I have seen the original audio tracks played with stills.

In others, I have seen still with abridged narrations with edited pieces of the original audio track.

creed462
January 19th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I like how the did it on the VHS version, but nothing can make up for not having the ep

February 8th, 2006, 01:29 PM
What was the best monster/villain in the Troughton era?

Metarock Sam
February 8th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I think The Cybermen steal the show for this particular era closely followed up by Yeti, Ice Warriors Even the Krotons !!! PLus the Daleks did quite well too.

February 8th, 2006, 07:41 PM
IMO, the Cybermen.

Metarock Sam
February 8th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Well some of trhe best cybermen eps are in this series. Tomb of the Cybermen, Invasion ,Moonbase etc.

Easter Lily
February 9th, 2006, 01:51 AM
What was the best monster/villain in the Troughton era?
The Cyberman... of course...
The Tomb of the Cyberman was marvellously creepy...

creed462
February 9th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Cybermen most definently.

THough the Ice warriors are a close second

February 9th, 2006, 11:27 AM
The Cyberman... of course...
The Tomb of the Cyberman was marvellously creepy...The Moonbase and The Invasion had some pretty creepy scenes too.

creed462
February 9th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Seen the Invasion, but not Moonbase is that where they get Zoe

February 9th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Seen the Invasion, but not Moonbase is that where they get ZoeThe Moonbase is in Season 4 with Polly, Ben, and Jamie.

Parts 2 & 4 are included in the Lost in Time Collection.

Zoe was introduced in Season 5 The Wheel in Space, parts 3 & 6 of which are also included in the Lost in Time Collection.

Metarock Sam
February 9th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Ah Zoe. Now she was a great character particular with her ability of total recall. She does a very good job in lots of episodes particularly in the Seeds of Death when she memorises an entire map.

creed462
February 9th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Shewas a neat charecter

Rowana
February 10th, 2006, 09:34 AM
I liked her. She worked with Jamie really well. It was great to see them together. ^_^ The end of War Games always makes me so sad.:(

creed462
February 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Yes knowleadge and brout force what a combo

Metarock Sam
April 21st, 2006, 10:26 AM
Seeing this as a good time to revive this thread since I should hopefully be getting the Mind Robber on DVD soon.
Oh heres a nasty fact. There are 3 Troughton stories left that are full and have not been released on DVD yet. They are The Dominators, The Krotons and The War Games. What a coincidence as they are all from the same season !!! :D :D :D.

Mr_Fantastic
April 21st, 2006, 10:31 AM
They are available on VHS, but obviously we are waiting for a DVD release. The Restoration Team is the group that restores and produces the older episodes on DVD, and that takes a long time to restore, and they have to wait for a commission from the BBC to make them. The Krotons is also the first Robert Holmes story, so you would think that they would look at that for a DVD release...

creed462
April 21st, 2006, 11:19 AM
always politics...................

Angelique
November 4th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Just watched The Web of Fear... that has to be one of the worst reconstructions yet. :( Not even any text explaining the action going on, and the telesnaps were really bad. Have to wonder what BBC was thinking burning most of poor Troughton's era...

The Doctor should have more companions from the past like Jamie and Victoria. Gotta love him explaining things like flying beasties to them. :P

creed462
November 19th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I would like to see animated reconstructions of the lost eps.

Angelique
November 21st, 2006, 06:24 AM
I would like to see animated reconstructions of the lost eps.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/AngeliqueGW/vlcsnap-1674150.jpg

Doesn't it look OMGWEIRD? :P Especially Jamie...