PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Doctor

Metarock Sam
September 23rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
Since we've got all these favourtie enemies and companions threads going ive decided to make a Favourite Doctor thread.
My Favourite has to be Tom Baker he had everything Jelly babies, K-9, Sonic Screwdriver and a long list of companions and much more.

The Signal
September 23rd, 2005, 12:22 PM
Tom Baker was good, and his successor Peter Davidson was great. But have to admit the Doctor was best as Christopher Eccleston. I wonder how David Tennant will fair in the role?

EDIT: And now I know..... :D

creed462
September 23rd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Tom Baker, but I am starting to Like John Pertwee

Reefgirl
September 23rd, 2005, 01:12 PM
Sylvester McCoy and Chris Ecclestone

Rowana
September 23rd, 2005, 01:49 PM
Always hard to choose...I love Sylvester McCoy and Tom Baker.

Easter Lily
September 23rd, 2005, 03:02 PM
Tom Baker was my first... so he'll always have a special place... ;)
But I think ultimately Jon Pertwee is my favourite... I loved his banter with The Brigadier, his all-too-infrequent display of Venusian martial arts, the sonic screwdriver and he endeared me even more by speaking Chinese! :D He brought so much warmth to the role.

But right now I'm really enjoying Peter Davison... :D ;)

Willow'sCat
September 23rd, 2005, 07:00 PM
Well depending on my mood, I would say Peter Davison and Sylvester McCoy but it does change. :rolleyes: Oh heck I love them all for different reasons. :)

Egeria
September 23rd, 2005, 07:02 PM
Tom Baker for me, the first Doctor I can properly remember...as they say, you always remember your first.:)

Reefgirl
September 24th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Tom Baker was my first Doctor too, my first Dr Who memory was Jon Pertwee turning into Tom Baker

BritAngie
September 24th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Have to say Sylvester McCoy, then Peter Davison and Chris Eccleston. :D Tehy each brought very unique qualities to their Doctors which I enjoyed.

Madeleine
September 26th, 2005, 11:38 AM
I thought I might as well make this into a poll.

Rowana
September 26th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I thought I might as well make this into a poll.

Good idea, but you forgot to add Paul McGowen. I don't really count him myself, but he is technically the eighth doctor.

Metarock Sam
September 26th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Yay a poll was added. Cheers Madeline_W

Easter Lily
September 26th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Good idea, but you forgot to add Paul McGowen. I don't really count him myself, but he is technically the eighth doctor.

Paul McGann, you mean?
Yup, he's supposed to be canon...

I really liked Paul McGann in Hornblower, I must say...

Mr Prophet
September 26th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Paul McGann was an excellent Doctor, even if his one TV appearance was in a rather disappointing story. He would be a contender for my favourite if he were here.

So, Tom Baker will always be The Doctor for me, but Pertwee had such style and I really liked Sylvester McCoy. Peter Davidson and Colin Baker I could take or leave, although they've really grown on me in audio.

I think I have to choose Sylvester, simply because I so often find myself championing him against people who blame him for killing the series.

yaaayoubetcha
September 26th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Tom Baker is my fave, but Pertwee and Eccleston are close seconds.

Ecc i think, mainly because the Dr has been away for so long, i'd have gone for almost anybody...hehe

Pertwee had some style and panache that no other Dr has had.

I loathed Sylvester McCoy....him and Ace....ugh...

Rowana
September 26th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Aw! I love Ace! Ah well, we all have our opinions. :) Sylvester was the first doctor I ever saw. I've always liked him.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 26th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Christopher Eccleston, because he's the doctor I know best

Egeria
September 26th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Christopher Eccleston, because he's the doctor I know best

Well they do say that your 'first' Doctor will always be the one you prefer.

My daughter was heartbroken when CE regenerated...she swears blind that she won't like DT half as much. That's the way I feel about Tom Baker...he'll always be 'my' Doctor, as much as I loved CE he'll never be a patch on TB.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 26th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Well they do say that your 'first' Doctor will always be the one you prefer.
your right. And to tell you the truth I've never seen the Original straight through, i've only seen clips of it.

Bomber
September 27th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Well Patrick was the first Doctor I ever saw ("When is a jar not a jar? When it's a door!" - I still remember that scene and I was very young) and he's always been my equal favourite, but McCoy has become my sentimental favourite over time. And don't get me wrong, Tom rocks. Enjoying Davison on TV at the moment (ABC's up to the 5th Doctor - I'm taping every last episode :D). And Pertwee was fun. Eccleston was worthy, and I was pleasantly surprised there too. Hartnell's the grand daddy of em all. Never warmed to Colin or McGann....we'll see what I think when the 6th Doctor's turn comes up in a few weeks.

Anyone seen McCoy on The Secret Policeman's Ball?

Willow'sCat
October 22nd, 2005, 02:59 AM
Well depending on my mood, I would say Peter Davison and Sylvester McCoy but it does change. :rolleyes: Oh heck I love them all for different reasons. :)Well I was right because I would have said Peter back then (pre Poll) but I just voted for Sylvester. :D

Chrysalis
October 25th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Peter Davison was my favourite Doctor.
I vaguely remember Jon Pertwee the first time around I think, because my uncle, who was only a couple of years older than me used to watch Dr Who.
Tom Baker's the first one I absolutely remember.
For me, I'd have to say Davison, followed by Tom Baker.
Paul McGann was good too, though I wasn't a big fan of his movie. It would have been nice to see him in the series..

Jedi Daniel
November 2nd, 2005, 06:42 PM
Patrick Troughton

Atlantis1
November 2nd, 2005, 09:56 PM
When our PBS station started airing Dr Who, Tom Baker was the first they aired. I really liked TB but as I got into watching Peter Davison he became my favorite. I liked his style the most . Not too serious and likewise not too comical.

BritAngie
November 3rd, 2005, 12:13 AM
Well Patrick was the first Doctor I ever saw ("When is a jar not a jar? When it's a door!" - I still remember that scene and I was very young) and he's always been my equal favourite, but McCoy has become my sentimental favourite over time. And don't get me wrong, Tom rocks. Enjoying Davison on TV at the moment (ABC's up to the 5th Doctor - I'm taping every last episode :D). And Pertwee was fun. Eccleston was worthy, and I was pleasantly surprised there too. Hartnell's the grand daddy of em all. Never warmed to Colin or McGann....we'll see what I think when the 6th Doctor's turn comes up in a few weeks.

Anyone seen McCoy on The Secret Policeman's Ball?

Secret policemans ball? Ooooh no- must look that out.

Malak
November 4th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Christopher Eccleston.

To be honest I wasn't really a huge fan of Doctor Who, I was exposed to classic Who by my mum, who was originally from England and watched it as a kid. I found the acting horrendous, the special effects even worse.

Christopher Eccleston made me a fan of Doctor Who. Compared to the few classic Who serials I have seen, Eccleston brought a realistic, darker interpretation of the doctor who is very alien yet very human.

It was a shame to see him leave so soon.

.:Lemon:.
November 4th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Tom Baker :p

Missster.Freeman
November 5th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Tom Baker was my choice. I was barely old enough to remember Jon Pertwee, but TB will always be 'my' Doctor. I had started to lose interest after Peter Davidson. :rolleyes: Thankfully, Chris Eccleston did a brilliant job to revive the series :) CE would've got my vote if Tom Baker wasn't in the poll.

The Signal
November 5th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Yer I lost interest in classic who after PD, Colin Baker wasnt suited to the role, and Im not a fan of SM, no real reason, he just wasnt "doctor-ish" but CE really returned the role to the fun loving "camp" (not my wording, someone from Doctor Who confidential) that was loved all those years ago. Of course I have no real reference to peTB as I am only old enough to remember Dr No 8 and have never seen him, the rest I catch on UKGold, looking forward to seeing David Tennant as the Doctor, but most looking forward to Season 3 with the apparent return of Cpt. Jack who was a great companion

EDIT: And to think, just a month after this post I'd seen dozens more serials from the classic series thanks to UK Gold.

TheWarrior
November 5th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Like 'NowIWillDestroyAbydos' Christopher Eccleston is the first doctor I've seen all the way through. I've seen parts of the episodes of the other doctors but as CE was the first Doctor I watched all the way through it has to be him.

Saul Tigh
May 6th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Tom Baker was good, and his successor Peter Davidson was great. But have to admit the Doctor was best as Christopher Eccleston. I wonder how David Tennant will fair in the role?

very very well. :D

avid is a great actor and is verty funny

MmmmMcKAy
May 26th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I voted for Eccleston. He brings a darkness to the character. And he's a great actor.

Flyboy
May 26th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Paul McGann is my Doctor!

MasySyma
May 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Chris Eccleston helped get me into the show, but David Tenant is my Doctor and my favorite.

By the way, David Tenant isn't in the poll. :(

lord-anubis
May 26th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Paul McGann is my Doctor!

why he only did the moive? unless you heard some of the audio books of him. in which case could you recmend some. i only heard a couple blood of the daleks,human resores, the chrimes of midnight and time works. he starting to become one of my faves. it makes me wish more and more that he had his own series

and in case i havent said it all ready my fave doctor is tom baker well for now if tannant does a couple more series i could see him becoming my fave doctor

The Signal
May 27th, 2007, 03:24 AM
By the way, David Tenant isn't in the poll. :(

Well he'd only been in one scene when the poll was made, so it would have been a little pointless :P

Flyboy
May 27th, 2007, 09:24 AM
why he only did the moive? unless you heard some of the audio books of him. in which case could you recmend some. i only heard a couple blood of the daleks,human resores, the chrimes of midnight and time works. he starting to become one of my faves. it makes me wish more and more that he had his own series

and in case i havent said it all ready my fave doctor is tom baker well for now if tannant does a couple more series i could see him becoming my fave doctor
It's not the point, as a young kid I'd seena few Doctor Who eps here and there but never properly and never a whole story arc, but I knew I liked the idea of the Doctor, then Doctor Who the movie, which I saw in 1996 when it was first aired was my first NEW Doctor Who experience and I utterly adored it. It made me really understand Doctor Who and the Whoniverse. Even now when I've seen every DVD of the 1st to Sixth Doctor, plus all of the New Episodes (I have however seen nothing of the seventh Doctor yet), McGann remains my favourite, he remains for me, what the Doctor should be! Compassionate, Curious, Polite, Playful, and a hero to the end.

Your first new Doctor is literally the relationship between a baby bird and the first thing it sees when it hatches.

Pitry
May 27th, 2007, 10:38 AM
But but but! David Tennant shoudl be added. :(

I was itnroduced to the show through Eccleston, adn while I thought he was marvellous on the role, I have to admit I connect more with Tennant's portrayel. He's got that madness that should be a part of the Doctor.... Eccleston was so very sane! :D
I also really really lvoe Tom Baker. He was great. And Colin Baker... and I've seen very little of Pertwee but he seems really lovely as well... All in all I onyl really don't like Davison and McCoy methinks! (Can't coment on McGann, it's nto his fault the movie was bad...)

Trek_Girl42
May 30th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I've only seen Tennant and Eccleston, and I absolutely love them both so much that it's way too hard to choose a favourite. :D Obviously voted Eccleston in the poll..... ;)

docballen
May 31st, 2007, 11:54 AM
Colin Baker.

I love the fact that he was truly "alien" and that outfit was a visual reminder of that.

Second place?

Christopher Eccleston. He brought the character back to life and played the Doctor the way I'd always wanted to see him played. And it would have been excellent to see him in more than one season.

I think David Tennant is going to replace TB as the all-time absolute favorite, however.

Hulabaloo
May 31st, 2007, 12:01 PM
Hmm, yea. We need a Poll with David Tennant in it...

Missster.Freeman
May 31st, 2007, 12:03 PM
Could ask a Mod to update the poll with DT.

edit: I just did. :zelenka25:

kiwigater
May 31st, 2007, 02:14 PM
Added DT :D Cos he's absolutely wonderful *flutter* :D (guess who I voted for :p )

Hulabaloo
May 31st, 2007, 02:16 PM
Darn, I already voted so I cant vote for DT. *sob* Oh well, I voted for him in spirit! :D

MasySyma
May 31st, 2007, 09:08 PM
DT! DT! DT! (Can you tell I like him as the Doctor?) :)

Trek_Girl42
June 1st, 2007, 10:54 AM
*sigh* already voted as well, otherwise I'd have probably voted for David Tennant.

Pitry
June 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
See, I did well to hodl off my vote til now! :D

Edit: But oh! Poor Colin! Only one vote! He always gets the short end of the stick... :( I actually do really like him!

Flyboy
March 20th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Reviving this thread...

Though I still insist that McGann is MY doctor (nothing could change that), my favourite classic Doctor has to be Peter Davison followed by McCoy and Troughton in tied second place. I don't know why, but I've grown to like Davison more and more...

I refuse to voice where Tennant fits for me until he leaves. If you ask me in a situation like this, the current incarnation should never be included... for obvious reasons.

huntress
March 20th, 2008, 09:34 AM
David Tennant for me. I prefer him over Christopher Eccleston anytime but Tom baker was a very close second.

Ice Wolf
March 21st, 2008, 12:43 AM
Tom Baker (4th) is my Favourite, with Tennant (10th) being a close 2nd and Eccleston (9th) coming in behind him in third.

Ice Wolf
March 21st, 2008, 12:47 AM
See, I did well to hodl off my vote til now! :D

Edit: But oh! Poor Colin! Only one vote! He always gets the short end of the stick... :( I actually do really like him!

probably cause his Doctor (6th) came across as completely nuts, but at least he wasn't boring like 5th but then coming after Tom Bakers 4th wouldn't have helped either of them.

Billz
March 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Always going to be good ol' Sylvester McCoy. Nothing can ever properly replace a Doctor which you grew up with.

LaCroix
March 24th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Like many others have said and voted for, you most always go with your first.
I'd only saw some of Pertwee's Who, but came to love Tom Baker as the Doctor. So I voted for Baker.

nicky2022002
February 26th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Tom Baker is and always will be my favourite Doctor in the whole universe!! David Tennant comes in second for being the best doctor in the new series!

nx01a
February 26th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Let me say first that I've only seen Baker, McCoy, McGann, Eccleston and Tennant as the Doctor. Yes, I'm deprived.
Tom Baker will always be THE Doctor for me. I'm still sad Eccleston and Tennant didn't use scarves. :)
Paul McGann's not on that list! The tv movie wasn't horrible and it IS canon.

chocolate_muffin
February 27th, 2009, 01:01 AM
My absolute favorite is Eccleston! He was quirky and funny in a way that just tickled me. Tennant was too much of a pretty boy and the older doctors just didn't charm me in the same way as Eccleston.

nx01a
February 27th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks for adding Paul McGann, Kiwigater! Just for completeness.

gateship15
March 6th, 2009, 02:14 AM
i have to many to have a fave but Tom Baker, Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant are my top 3