PDA

View Full Version : What the Heck is Dr. Who? I keep Hearing about Dr. Who

Col. Newman
September 22nd, 2005, 12:18 PM
What the Heck is Dr. Who? I keep Hearing about Dr. Who. Could someone please fill me in

Thanks

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
September 23rd, 2005, 10:05 PM
What the Heck is Dr. Who? I keep Hearing about Dr. Who. Could someone please fill me in

Thanks
Wow, okay. It's not easy to explain.

Doctor Who, produced by the BBC, was the longest running science fiction series, running 26 seasons from 1963 to 1989. The show was relaunched earlier this year in various countries (but not in the U.S. yet). Doctor Who is considered a cult classic in the U.S., and an outright cultural phenoma in Britain. The show started off as a kid's series, then changed its format to a family series, and got more mature and serious over the years.

The classic series was a uniquely formatted serial consisting of usually 25 minutes episodes, forming discrete story blocks. For example, the first four episodes were entitled An Unearthly Child. And sometimes one story led directly into the next. Occasionally, multiple stories were part of a larger quest. I know of no other example of this format in television.

Early in the series, the stories would alternate between historical and science fiction genres. Later, the science fiction elements would dominate the series.

The classic series is famous for its low production values, yet enthralling stories, as those BBC crews pitted their artistic talents against a small budget. The classic series often demanded the viewer suspend quite a lot of disbelief and imagine things that could not be shown on screen due to budget constraints. Doctor Who was a guinea pig for the testing and refinement of new SFX techniques. The film industry owes their much of their SFX success to the classic series.

The new series is roughly 45 minutes per episodes, typically single episode stories, mixed with a few two-parters.

September 23rd, 2005, 10:27 PM
Okay, so what is the show about? It's about a mysterious traveller known as the Doctor.

The TARDIS
He has a ship capable of traveling through time and space he calls "the TARDIS" (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space). The Doctor "liberated" this vintage type 40 right before it was supposed to be scrapped. As a result, it's not very reliable and often malfunctions. The navigation system is particularly flakey, meaning the Doctor never quite knows where he is going to materialize next. Also, the chameleon circuit, which controls the ship's outer appearance, is completely busted, leaving the TARDIS exterior stuck in the shape of a 1950s London police box. [Police box...think big blue telephone booth/small shed with a light on top.]

The TARDIS is dimensionally transcendental, meaning the exterior is just the ship's anchor to another dimension. When you step through the doors of that police box, you enter the control room of the ship which is much bigger than the exterior could possibly accomodate. A door at the far of the control room leads to an endless maze of corridors and rooms and levels, which not even the Doctor has fully explored. Basically, the ship is bigger on the inside than the out.

Easter Lily
September 23rd, 2005, 10:32 PM
Actually it wouldn't be a bad idea if we could get a mod to make this thread sticky ... and convert it into a Dr Who primer or FAQ...

Doing a good job there DA Second Prime... ;)

Osiris-RA
September 23rd, 2005, 10:35 PM
Hehe, I was like "Who is Dr. Who now?" :p So it's Sci-Fi. Interesting. I must dally on the BBC channel more...it does come on there, no?

September 23rd, 2005, 10:44 PM
Hehe, I was like "Who is Dr. Who now?" :p So it's Sci-Fi. Interesting. Well, at best, it's soft sci-fi often plunging into the realm of sci-fi/fantasy/horror. Hey now. I'm doing the best I can to give the feeling of the series without giving too much away. :p

I must dally on the BBC channel more...it does come on there, no?I'll leave it to my fellow fans in the U.K., Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and elsewhere to address the scheduling specifics and the new series (which I haven't seen, so don't spoil me). ;)

September 23rd, 2005, 10:45 PM
Actually it wouldn't be a bad idea if we could get a mod to make this thread sticky ... and convert it into a Dr Who primer or FAQ...

Doing a good job there DA Second Prime... ;)
Thank you. It's a labor of love. And I'm not done yet.

September 23rd, 2005, 11:20 PM
The Doctor
Basically, without giving too much away, the Doctor is an alien from "another world, another time". He can not return home, so he travels the universe, adventuring. The Doctor is, by Earth's standards, a brillant scientist as well as an ardent activist. In fact, after living a very sheltered life, his intense curiousity ensures he will never stay anywhere for too long.

Obviously the most confusing aspect of the Doctor, is that he has been played by various actors over the years who look, act, and dress very differently. Upon the onset of death, the Doctor's race has the ability to shed their old body, and within moments, take on a new form. This process also effects the Doctor's personality and can only be employed twelve times, giving him thirteen lives.

In the continuity of both the classic and new series, ten actors have portrayed the character of the Doctor.

Classic Series
01. William Hartnell
02. Patrick Troughton
03. Jon Pertwee
04. Tom Baker
05. Peter Davison
06. Colin Baker
07. Sylvester McCoy (and in the 1996 movie as well)

The Enemy Within (1996 Movie)
08. Paul McGann

New Series
09. Christopher Eccelston
10. David Tennant

September 23rd, 2005, 11:39 PM
Well, that's enough to start with. Obviously, there's a lot of history to the series, but I think I gave a sense of it without giving away too much.

If this thread is to be a primer for Doctor Who, let's try to avoid explaining too much. We don't want to spoil it for the new fans. ;)

Col. Newman...any questions?

Reefgirl
September 24th, 2005, 12:59 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/ for the new Dr Who (Chris Ecclestone and David Tennant)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/index.shtml Doctor's 1-8

Qasim
September 24th, 2005, 07:34 AM
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who

Willow'sCat
September 24th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Well, that's enough to start with. Obviously, there's a lot of history to the series, but I think I gave a sense of it without giving away too much.

If this thread is to be a primer for Doctor Who, let's try to avoid explaining too much. We don't want to spoil it for the new fans. ;)

Col. Newman...any questions?You did a great job explaining the Doctor. See you are a HUGE fan. :D

The TARDIS
He has a ship capable of traveling through time and space he calls "the TARDIS" (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space). Time And Relative Dimensions In Space! I love the T.A.D.I.S. :D

Oh and of course David Hewlett (Dr McKay) is a Dr Who fan. :D I think that is an important thing to note here on GW. :p :D

September 24th, 2005, 10:36 AM
...and we can't forget Gallifrey One.

http://www.gallifreyone.com/

Col. Newman
September 24th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Col. Newman...any questions?no I think I understand the basics now :D thanks

Metarock Sam
September 24th, 2005, 12:23 PM
You could even look on my site with a good definiton of doctor who site on (plus its got the movie theme playing in the background.) however I havnt finished it so its rather rusty and only goes up to the sevent doctor im afraid.
http://www.freewebs.com/metarocksamsspace/doctorwho.htm
enjoy !!!

Qasim
September 24th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Nice work Metarock Sam

Metarock Sam
September 24th, 2005, 02:46 PM
ITs ok but i got problems sorting it out. EG for some reason the text for the eigth doctor goes blank when its submitted and you have to highlight it.
PLus the stargate episode section copies itself too much.

Matt G
September 24th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Here's a Doctor Who guide I did earlier:
http://www.mattgsplace.net/TV%20and%20film/TV/other%20TV/Dr%20Who/home.htm

Major Clanger
September 24th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Good idea to sticky the thread... and hey presto! it's done

Metarock Sam
September 25th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Cheers MC.

P-90_177
September 29th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Just for those who don't realise Christopher Eccleston played the bad guy in 'Gone in 60 Seconds'

Flyboy
October 2nd, 2005, 04:24 AM
Just for those who don't realise Christopher Eccleston played the bad guy in 'Gone in 60 Seconds'
He also played the crazed Army officer in "28 Days Later".

Verona
October 2nd, 2005, 05:59 AM
He also played the crazed Army officer in "28 Days Later".
He was a general in Sunday a tv film about Northen Ireland I was (still am) working in the starbucks opposite one of the liverpool locations they used and he came in a few times he enjoys his cup of tea.
My lasting impression is of a very intense guy almost scary (those eyes) which is why I think one short conversation stuck in my memory,and I think I might have offended him slightly by asking if they were working him hard (he looked a little stressed) he sort of smiled absently at me and said yes it was a tough day and sat down then he came back over to me and said very seriously But it's not like having a proper job is it, which just left me mumbling meekly that I was not taking the mickey honest ( really did not mean it sarcasticly) I hope he believed me. Great actor wish he stayed to do another season at least, but looking forward to the christmas special and beyond.

Simonthefurling
October 2nd, 2005, 07:20 AM
Anybody notice the starting looks kinda like a stargate wormhole?

Verona
October 2nd, 2005, 08:53 AM

Yeah can see what you mean. But I think Doctor Who beat Stargate to that idea by two or three decades. ( wanted to put a big grin here but cant find the smileys it's just as well I'm sitting down else I would more than likely not be able to find my six)

Metarock Sam
October 2nd, 2005, 01:05 PM
Well Doctor Whos always had the 'time vortex' which looks like the wormhole except its different and better. Who knows perhaps the producers decided to copy the vortex partly in construction for their wormhole effect.

Reefgirl
October 3rd, 2005, 12:41 AM
Funny you should say that, my daughter caught the opening titles and said "Is that Stargate"

Metarock Sam
October 3rd, 2005, 11:24 AM
Well it can obviously be compared between the two.

nalex1013
January 15th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Thanks
Hiya. If you like sci fi you'll love Dr Who. We can't quite put our finger on why it's great because despite the bad looking aliens it stills ends up addictive. And you don't have to have watched the first seven doctors cos I didn't.

creed462
January 26th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Well Doctor Whos always had the 'time vortex' which looks like the wormhole except its different and better. Who knows perhaps the producers decided to copy the vortex partly in construction for their wormhole effect.
I've always like Tom Baker's intro with the eye that turns to a gold worm hole like thing

Metarock Sam
January 27th, 2006, 10:09 AM
ITs a shame they dont show trhe doctors face in the opening credits anymore. That was cool.

kmiller1610
February 28th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Yes. Tom Baker. He was Who when I was watching the show in the mid 80s. You might remember him as Rasputin in the big budget movie about the end of the Romanovs, Nicholas and Alexandra. Of course, he will always be Dr. Who to me, but with 27 seasons worth, I'm sure there were others who were also good.

Exterrrrrrminaaate..... Exterminaaaate!

How can canister vacumn cleaners be so lethal !?!?

The Tardis also appears in the Serious Sam video games from time to time, completely out of place. Sam makes calls and gets strange messages in them.

RavenaS
February 28th, 2006, 10:39 PM
How can canister vacumn cleaners be so lethal !?!?

Oh you're in for a treat. Hope you're watching in April. ;)

The thing about Stargate and Doctor Who is when Stargate began I got interested because it reminded me of Doctor Who. Ragtag team steps through a magical portal into lands of futuristic worlds or ones drowning in ancient civilizations. SG-1 had a good sense of humor and wit about them, like Who, and they always just barely escaped disaster (saving worlds in the process). They even had the technobabble (shared duties by Sam and Daniel).

SG-1 had better effects, of course, and new episodes were being made. Now Stargate is getting a tad long-in-the-tooth for me and Doctor Who comes back even stronger. Who is crafted more like Buffy with the dramatic character moments. SG-1 could learn a thing or two to stay fresh.

It's great both wind up on the same channel now. And BSG won't be repeated then so I don't have to suffer that torment. (Sorry. I've tried BSG but its darkness is just too depressing.)

Lord Shiva
March 1st, 2006, 12:32 AM
SG-1 had better effects, of course, and new episodes were being made. Now Stargate is getting a tad long-in-the-tooth for me and Doctor Who comes back even stronger. Who is crafted more like Buffy with the dramatic character moments. SG-1 could learn a thing or two to stay fresh.

I dunno... i sort of disagree. I don't think living plastic mannequins and alien bounty hunting santa clauses really fits into Stargate.

Khalek
March 1st, 2006, 08:49 AM
OK...and Doctor Who is coming to Sci-Fi soon so...
... will they start with the newest stuff or will they start with the oldest?

Dallista
March 1st, 2006, 08:55 AM
OK...and Doctor Who is coming to Sci-Fi soon so...
... will they start with the newest stuff or will they start with the oldest?
As far as has been announced, Sci-Fi is only going to air the 2005 series, starting mid-March, and only season 1 at present (13 episodes), with an option for more seasons (depending on the ratings).

Metarock Sam
March 1st, 2006, 09:01 AM
I doubt that they will show the classic series on scifi since I think another american channel does or used to show them. It looks for now that scifi will only buy the new series one and if all goes well series 2 and so on and so on.

orii7
March 1st, 2006, 02:20 PM
Maybe Sci-Fi will get complaints that the audiences that are new to the show that there is very little explained and that they need to know what went on before the new series.

So then Sci-Fi will be like "alright! Alright!" and Sci-Fi will try to buy the old series and then the Audience that is new to Doctor Who will see the old series and will get alot of things explained to them.

Then they will be "thanks. Now we know alot about it. We will watch the new series more now without being so confused"

Ya never know. Maybe Sci-Fi will be jerks and let the show stop airing on the Sci-Fi Channel and get everybody in America really mad at them.

Now thats a big possibility.........sadly :(

RavenaS
March 1st, 2006, 11:04 PM
I doubt that they will show the classic series on scifi since I think another american channel does or used to show them. It looks for now that scifi will only buy the new series one and if all goes well series 2 and so on and so on.

Barring an outstanding success of Doctor Who on SciFi (the likes of which usurps Stargate's role as anchor repeat), I doubt we'll see Classic Who on its airwaves. But we may see a revival of PBS airing Classic Who. I believe the two remaining PBS stations to carry Classic Who have managed to renew their contracts recently. BBC Worldwide was not renewing it in some twisted idea of packing the old series with the new.

Outside that, we could see Classic Who on BBC America.

creed462
March 2nd, 2006, 12:36 PM
I would like to see on tv again, but the DVD ease that pain

Metarock Sam
March 3rd, 2006, 09:46 AM
I can see Creeds point after all withe the DVDS the quality doesnt degrade.

Ruined_puzzle
March 11th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Maybe Sci-Fi will get complaints that the audiences that are new to the show that there is very little explained and that they need to know what went on before the new series.

So then Sci-Fi will be like "alright! Alright!" and Sci-Fi will try to buy the old series and then the Audience that is new to Doctor Who will see the old series and will get alot of things explained to them.

Then they will be "thanks. Now we know alot about it. We will watch the new series more now without being so confused"

Ya never know. Maybe Sci-Fi will be jerks and let the show stop airing on the Sci-Fi Channel and get everybody in America really mad at them.

Now thats a big possibility.........sadly :(

Actually I watched the new series without knowing anything about it and I got the gist of it. I really don't think you need to know everything that went on in the past series to know or understand what's going on. The show itself is pretty self explanatory.

Willow'sCat
March 11th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Actually I watched the new series without knowing anything about it and I got the gist of it. I really don't think you need to know everything that went on in the past series to know or understand what's going on. The show itself is pretty self explanatory.Personally I think it would confuse people to start screening the classic series now, I have talked with some newer viewers here and they have seen recent repeats of the classic series but are more confused then anything especially about the regenerations. :rolleyes: Maybe I just need to talk with different veiwers. Although I feel sorry for those that have never or will never see the classic series. ;) There is of course the DVDs which thankfully the BBC is starting to get better at releasing.

orii7
March 12th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Actually I watched the new series without knowing anything about it and I got the gist of it. I really don't think you need to know everything that went on in the past series to know or understand what's going on. The show itself is pretty self explanatory.

Ok good. So i guess when my mom and my brother and (hopefully) my dad (he never watches anything except anything that isnt Sci-Fi or isnt The Matrix) will watch "Doctor Who" (new series) and wont be confused. good.

Seshat
March 12th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Personally I think it would confuse people to start screening the classic series now, I have talked with some newer viewers here and they have seen recent repeats of the classic series but are more confused then anything especially about the regenerations. :rolleyes: Maybe I just need to talk with different veiwers. Although I feel sorry for those that have never or will never see the classic series. ;) There is of course the DVDs which thankfully the BBC is starting to get better at releasing.
Well, I started watching Dr. Who with the third Doctor, and I got the hang of things right away. ;) Watching the earlier Doctors (when they were rerun on PBS) was all the more fun because it filled in a lot of backstory. The only thing I think newer viewers would object to is the production values of much of the classic series not being up to today's standards. I can't say it bothered me much, but I was easy to please in the 70's. :)

RavenaS
March 13th, 2006, 11:05 PM
The Classic series is fun to watch but it can be polarizing for new fans. Just think new BSG vs. original BSG.

Now if you are the sort to appreciate classic SciFi, and you really like the humor and imaginative scenarios of the new series (a ghost story in the past, a murder mystery in the future, space opera and X Files type unusual things in the present) but can do without the modern FX or emotional character drama, then by all means rent some of the Classic Who eps. They're fun, some more than others.

But the design of this new series is to appeal to a whole new generation who did not watch the Classic series. That's why we get a reboot at the beginning. "Rose" has a lot in common with the first episode of Doctor Who back in 1963, except "Rose" has more contemporary trappings and the pacing is much faster.

I'm in Maryland so I get the best of both worlds. New Who on SciFi on Friday nights, and Classic Who as a late night Saturday movie on PBS.

orii7
March 14th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I'm in Maryland so I get the best of both worlds. New Who on SciFi on Friday nights, and Classic Who as a late night Saturday movie on PBS.

Your Lucky.

Over in America, PBS took Doctor Who off of it. So im late 30 or 40 years to see Doctor Who on PBS :(

RavenaS
March 15th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Your Lucky.

Over in America, PBS took Doctor Who off of it. So im late 30 or 40 years to see Doctor Who on PBS :(

Huh? Um Maryland is in these United States, ya know. The other state to still carry it is Iowa. PBS channels just started dropping it in the last 5-10 years.

A lot of folks didn't see it, probably because the show has been given late night hours for the last decade or so. Early 80's it would air on afternoons. So that makes you maybe 20 years too late?

No prob. The new series airs this Friday at 9pm ET, and it's much much better IMHO. Doctor Who with a Hollywood-style budget and a decent script, oh the joy.

orii7
March 15th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Huh? Um Maryland is in these United States, ya know. The other state to still carry it is Iowa. PBS channels just started dropping it in the last 5-10 years.

A lot of folks didn't see it, probably because the show has been given late night hours for the last decade or so. Early 80's it would air on afternoons. So that makes you maybe 20 years too late?

No prob. The new series airs this Friday at 9pm ET, and it's much much better IMHO. Doctor Who with a Hollywood-style budget and a decent script, oh the joy.

What? Maryland is in the US? man im must be Cybertized (a messed up Cybertization) lol

Sorry terribly sorry for the mistake. Its terrible how they have been dropping Doctor Who. :( Big Dummies! lol

BTW i know about Doctor Who airing on Sci-Fi. I just wanted to see The Old Series before I see the new one. IDK why but there must be a reason. My head is very messed up. lol

March 15th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Huh? Um Maryland is in these United States, ya know.Wait a minute...are you sure about that?

Isn't Maryland part of Canada?

Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland, at least it sounds like it would be adjacent to Canada.

I seem to recall advertisements for it when I moved from Jersey to Virginia, but I don't believe everything I read.

I mean, c'mon...like there's really a New Mexico. :rolleyes:

orii7
March 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Wait a minute...are you sure about that?

Isn't Maryland part of Canada?

Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland, at least it sounds like it would be adjacent to Canada.

I seem to recall advertisements for it when I moved from Jersey to Virginia, but I don't believe everything I read.

I mean, c'mon...like there's really a New Mexico. :rolleyes:

Your right. I thought Maryland was part of Ireland or whatever. something idk! lol like i said, Im messed up. for now. lol

March 15th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Your right. I thought Maryland was part of Ireland or whatever. something idk! lol like i said, Im messed up. for now. lolOkay. :D

Reminds me of the time my aunt wanted to be a travel agent, so I tested her geography skills.

I asked her for England and she pointed to Greenland.
I asked her for France and she pointed to England.
I pointed to Antarctica and she called out "South America".
I asked her for the continent of Africa and she pointed to South America.
I pointed to Africa and said, "What's this?" and she said, "Africa II."

Then she got confused because she thought Alaska and Hawaii were islands off the coast of California, at that's how she remembered them from the cutaway inserts on the Continential U.S. maps.

Finally, we decided to focus on the Carribean which is where most of her clients would go to. I asked her where it was and she pointed to the Middle East.

orii7
March 16th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Okay. :D

Reminds me of the time my aunt wanted to be a travel agent, so I tested her geography skills.

I asked her for England and she pointed to Greenland.
I asked her for France and she pointed to England.
I pointed to Antarctica and she called out "South America".
I asked her for the continent of Africa and she pointed to South America.
I pointed to Africa and said, "What's this?" and she said, "Africa II."

Then she got confused because she thought Alaska and Hawaii were islands off the coast of California, at that's how she remembered them from the cutaway inserts on the Continential U.S. maps.

Finally, we decided to focus on the Carribean which is where most of her clients would go to. I asked her where it was and she pointed to the Middle East.

LOL!!!!! that is so funny :D

So...Where is Maryland?

March 16th, 2006, 07:40 PM
LOL!!!!! that is so funny :D

So...Where is Maryland?I didn't test her on the states, but I do recall her mentioning that she thought the state of Washington was on the East Coast.

Apparently, she thought Washington state and Washington, D.C. were the same place and she was amazed at some of things she found.

"There's a West Virginia?"

But I am glad I cleared things up with her.
After all, I didn't want her mistakenly sending American tourists to Afghanistan.

Fargater
March 16th, 2006, 08:14 PM
I didn't test her on the states, but I do recall her mentioning that she thought the state of Washington was on the East Coast.

Apparently, she thought Washington state and Washington, D.C. were the same place and she was amazed at some of things she found.

"There's a West Virginia?"

But I am glad I cleared things up with her.
After all, I didn't want her mistakenly sending American tourists to Afghanistan.
ROFL!!!

That reminds me of an old Christmas special I saw years ago on PBS with Alan Arkin. It was called "A Matter of Principle". Arkin played this rather obnoxious guy who was right about everything but couldn`t keep a job etc. because he knew more than his bosses. Anyway one night his kids are doing homework on the floor in front of the fireplace (great thing, that fireplace, you get heat AND light, no need to put on a light) and one asks what the capital of West Virginia is, and Arkin`s character replies, "There is no such place as West Virginia. There is only one Virginia, and Richmond is its capital!" The poor kids just trade looks but know its useless to contradict him.

chyron
March 17th, 2006, 08:02 PM

Thanks

The pentultimate Science Fiction television series spanning 40 years obviously predating Stargate, Babylon 5, Star Wars and Star Trek.

Word of advice - If you see a garbage can looking thing moving around with a funny looking metal arm sticking out if it - run for your life, especially if you hear the words "Ex-term-inate!"

Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who

SGalisa
March 19th, 2006, 01:04 PM
a two parter post here...

Originally posted by Simonthefurling:

Originally posted by Verona:
But I think Doctor Who beat Stargate to that idea by two or three decades.

Originally posted by Metarock Sam:

yeah - Dr. Who definitely beat Stargate on the *wormhole traveling* visuals.
DOCTOR WHO's "wormhole" effect also beat out
Sliders
Farscape
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Stargate: SG-1
Stargeate: Atlantis

Actually, when I first started watching Stargate and saw the various spaceships jumping into brilliant bluish-white kaliediscope hyperspace, my initial thoughts were:

ahah! memories of Doctor Who!! someone borrowed the bluish kaliediscope effect from DOCTOR WHO!! ;)
....circa Tom Baker era
...weekly episode musical introductory (and end) theme
..probable episode: Pyramids of Mars

This particular dimensional traveling sensation transformed itself several times since then, including colors and other effects added, but the brilliant bluish hues seem to be the most prominent in my memory.

It just amazed me that one of the Stargate topics a while back had complaints about SG-1 Season 9 now using the SGA wormhole visuals instead... and the whole time while reading that, I kept thinking:
well, actually SG-1 seemed to have borrowed the blue-green wormhole effect from Tv's SLIDERS series, and the vortex effect from DrWho! Besides, I *like* the new SGA wormhole visuals... the old one was probably due for an upgrade improvement. :)

SGalisa
March 19th, 2006, 01:10 PM
continued from previous post...

Originally posted by kmiller1610:
Tom Baker...
Of course, he will always be Dr. Who to me, but with 27 seasons worth, I'm sure there were others who were also good.

Exterrrrrrminaaate..... Exterminaaaate!

How can canister vacumn cleaners be so lethal !?!?Salt and pepper shakers :p
That's how the original creators described the original Daleks as:
giant salt and pepper shakers... roaming about.

After reading that tidbit, I never saw another salt and pepper shaker set of that particular bubble design in the same light -ever again! :D

and yes, the other doctors (actors portraying "the Doctor" character) were just as wonderful as Tom. Each created their own personality style specific to the actor portraying the role. New series version with Doctor # 9 incarnation: Christopher Eccelston seems to be more darker in attitude than the earlier doctors, including "Grandpa" -the first doctor, who we thought had the darkest persona of all so far.

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime:
The classic series is famous for its low production values, yet enthralling stories, as those BBC crews pitted their artistic talents against a small budget. The classic series often demanded the viewer suspend quite a lot of disbelief and imagine things that could not be shown on screen due to budget constraints. Doctor Who was a guinea pig for the testing and refinement of new SFX techniques. The film industry owes their much of their SFX success to the classic series.

Obviously the most confusing aspect of the Doctor, is that he has been played by various actors over the years who look, act, and dress very differently. Upon the onset of death, the Doctor's race has the ability to shed their old body, and within moments, take on a new form. This process also effects the Doctor's personality and can only be employed twelve times, giving him thirteen lives.Excellent descriptions overall. wow! Who-lingo. :)
Actually, the entire DOCTOR WHO regeneration concept was in itself a *novel* idea, because it was (as the original creators described) a way to keep the entire series going -if something should happen to the main actor portraying the Doctor's character- several times, such incidents did take place, and another actor stepped in to regenerate the part. It also helped personify the storyline concept into the realms of being pure SciFi.

Tom Baker left because after 7 years, he felt it was time to hand the reigns of the role over to someone else and give that person an opportunity to *enjoy* the Doctor. In the case of Colin Baker, the series got yanked from airing, and Colin found another job elsewhere, so Sylvester McCoy took over the role when everything settled down into place again.

Originally posted by RavenaS:
The thing about Stargate and Doctor Who is when Stargate began I got interested because it reminded me of Doctor Who. Ragtag team steps through a magical portal into lands of futuristic worlds or ones drowning in ancient civilizations. SG-1 had a good sense of humor and wit about them, like Who, and they always just barely escaped disaster (saving worlds in the process). They even had the technobabble (shared duties by Sam and Daniel).

SG-1 had better effects, of course, and new episodes were being made.subconsciously, I think that's what sparked my interest as well. Except the Stargate was instantaneous travel and the TARDIS (or *stuck* police box) took a bit longer...

For me, DOCTOR WHO was an aquired taste - meaning it took a while to get used to, and actually I realized there was more to like than not... Same with Stargate. The humor and poking fun at itself is also found in both series. ;)

Nuallain
March 20th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Your right. I thought Maryland was part of Ireland or whatever. something idk! lol like i said, Im messed up. for now. lol

There actually is a Maryland in Ireland, too! It's an area of the capital city where you can barely move for Virgin Mary statues erected in the streets...

CKO
March 20th, 2006, 08:05 PM
what are time lords? (yea i know dumb question)... sorry if its been asked or answered before.

March 20th, 2006, 11:34 PM
what are time lords? (yea i know dumb question)... sorry if its been asked or answered before.Long ago on the planet Gallifrey, a humanoid race discovered the key to time travel. Those Gallifreyans that passed the necessary academic requirements were granted the title Time Lord by the rulers.

*Through a series of events, the Gallifreyan race had become sterile.
*Machines were invented to artifically create new Gallifreyans.
*Both of these were mentioned in the novels, but not the television series.

Meanwhile another technology had been developed to endow the Time Lords with the ability to regenerate into a new body upon death 12 times. By that, I mean a Time Lord effectively had 13 lives.

In the beginning, the Time Lords abused their new mastery over time to snatch creatures from various worlds and pit them against each other in deadly games. Eventually, they came to realize the responsibility of these powers and adopted a strict official policy of observation and non-intervention. Unofficially, they did send out agents. Occasionally, they employed the services of Time Lords who had gone rogue.

In the classic series, the Doctor (a rogue Time Lord) encountered many Time Lords and occasionally visited Gallifrey.

Obviously, I could tell you much more, but I would not want to spoil you on either new series and classic series episodes.

SGalisa
March 22nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
Probably a good episode to watch for a description of the above
(What is a Time Lord?)
is one of my favorite eps: "The Two Doctors"
Patrick Troughton (Doctor #2) joins Colin Baker (Doctor #6) in this particular adventure. ;)

It's a good episode, because the explanation is given as to what the Doctor thinks he is, and why the Time Lords have an interest in him, in particular. The DVD is loaded with interesting commentary, but I had to pause it every few seconds to read it all. :p

I also thought out of all of the DOCTOR WHO eps, this ep had one of the best musical scores, the best variety of background settings in contrast with the guest-star costumes and everything else.
Guest "DrWho" star from the past also appears, in a kilt! :D

creed462
April 2nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Jamie What a charecter

Metarock Sam
April 2nd, 2006, 11:54 AM
Whats the hush about Jamie for ??
I think hes probably the best companion. He just had that fantastic chemistry between him and the second doctor and is such a brilliant character overall.

VirtualCLD
April 11th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Col. Newman...any questions?

Yes, one question, when they finish up with the twelfth (or is it thirteenth) actor to play the Doctor, what happens then?

April 11th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Yes, one question, when they finish up with the twelfth (or is it thirteenth) actor to play the Doctor, what happens then?12 regenerations would mean 13 Doctors.

What happens? Well, if the show is popular enough, they'll find a way to continue the life of the Doctor.

It's already been established that a regeneration cycle (the 12 additional lives) is bestowed by the Time Lords only when certain academic criteria is met by a Gallifreyan. It is an artificial means of extending life by use of nano-technology.

Why the limit of 12 uses? Does the nano-technology break down? Or is it an imposed limit? Does it just need to be reset? Or do new nanites need be introduced into the system? Rassilon hid this knowledge, because he felt granting people immortality would lead to terrible corruption and render life meaningless.

In a few episodes of the old televisions and during the run of The New Adventures of Doctor Who novels, many hints were given that....

.....the Doctor had at least one other regeneration cycle (potentially 13 previous lives).For more information on this, check out the novel "Lungbarrow (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/ebooks/index.shtml)" by Marc Platt, freely available online as an e-book.

Who is the Doctor? Find out as he visits his family.Obviously, there are many spoilers in that novel and the producer of the new series, Russell T. Davies, has stated that the novel series may no longer be canon. Yet, he has been following the productions notes of the original series very closely and those concepts were introduced in the production notes of the original series and were hinted at on screen.

Happy_Gate
April 18th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I was wondering if the makers of the new show has ever officially said that Ecclestone and Tennant were the 9th and 10th regerations of the doctor or whether this number is just an unofficial fan count based on the number of actors?

What if there were more regenerations between the movie Dr.Who and the new series or what if the makers of the new show don't even count the movie?

Anyone have any idea?

April 19th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I was wondering if the makers of the new show has ever officially said that Ecclestone and Tennant were the 9th and 10th regerations of the doctor or whether this number is just an unofficial fan count based on the number of actors?

What if there were more regenerations between the movie Dr.Who and the new series or what if the makers of the new show don't even count the movie?

Anyone have any idea?Good question. Yes, they did on multiple occasions.

However, it was never mentioned on-screen during Season 1, and technically it isn't canon until it is.

Perhaps, it will be referenced in the next season.

Happy_Gate
April 19th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Good question. Yes, they did on multiple occasions.

However, it was never mentioned on-screen during Season 1, and technically it isn't canon until it is.

Perhaps, it will be referenced in the next season.
Ok, thanks, deputy. I'll keep a look out during the shows then. :)

Willow'sCat
April 22nd, 2006, 05:59 AM
Good question. Yes, they did on multiple occasions.

Perhaps, it will be referenced in the next season.Hmm, Season? Season what? :cool: *deary me* :D

Didn't Chris wear the outfit that McGann (?) wore in the "Titanic" flashback? :S Wasn't that meant to have been just after he regenerated? I may have to watch that again. :cool:

April 22nd, 2006, 08:55 AM
Hmm, Season? Season what? :cool: *deary me* :D Well, since it was a relaunch, I referred to the 2005 season as the 1st, although many refer to it as the 27th.

As an American, I call each year of a television show, a "season", whereas fans from other nations call it a "series".

As for the issue of the Doctor's previous lives...my point was simply that since the new series is a relaunch, technically we have to wait for on-screen confirmation for the first 8 Doctors (and only 8) to be canon for the new series. Further, when I say on-screen, I mean within the context of a fictional world, not an interview.

The example you gave is not sufficient to confirm this.

However, we all know that CE is the Ninth Doctor. RTD has said it. Hints have been given on websites. Everyone involved with the show has referred to him as thus. It just hasn't been officially confirmed within show itself.

Willow'sCat
April 22nd, 2006, 09:09 AM
I don't need it to be confirmed on the show, there is no reason to believe Tennant is not the 10th Doctor. Also they have the

Dalek history, if he was 2 then there couldn't be that much hatred so fast, that is a (Timelord) lifetime of hatred right there. ;) IMO.

As for the season v series far enough but it still sounds weird to me. Oh and I am not with The BBC on the 1, to me that is marketing nothing more. K.I.S.S for the new fans who might get confused. :rolleyes:

April 22nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
As for the season v series far enough but it still sounds weird to me.The reason I use "season" is because using "series" in that context doesn't sound right to me as an American.

To me, a series would either describe a multiple episode story arc or the entire run of a show, not a single year run.

I know folks from elsewhere apply those terms differently and feel more comfortable with their usage.

Either way, no big deal really.

Willow'sCat
April 23rd, 2006, 12:04 AM
It's canon that Chris was the 9th Doctor, I forgot about this little exchange between him and Rose.

In the Empty Child

The Doctor: Mr Spock?
Rose: What else was I gonna say? You don't have a name! Don't you ever get tired of The Doctor? Doctor Who?
The Doctor: Nine centuries, I'm coping.

We know how old he is meant to be so... 9 Centuries goes to 9th Doctor. ;)

April 23rd, 2006, 08:52 AM
It's canon that Chris was the 9th Doctor, I forgot about this little exchange between him and Rose.

In the Empty ChildDoesn't convince me. Those are assumptions. The Seventh Doctor was the same age, btw.

Consider this is a new show and we only know what we are told on-screen.

We can't claim to definitively know these things until they are officially part of the new show.

Willow'sCat
April 25th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Doesn't convince me. Those are assumptions. The Seventh Doctor was the same age, btw.

Consider this is a new show and we only know what we are told on-screen.

We can't claim to definitively know these things until they are officially part of the new show.Assumptions no, and the 9th didn't say in years how old he was just that it was 9 centuries, the 7th was more accurate but then you are more than entitled to think that, no really but he has mentioned on numerous occasions how old he is and it fits in with that so not going to convince me otherwise. :cool:

Oh and it is not a new show, it is a series and it is a continuation. :cool: :rolleyes:

April 25th, 2006, 08:57 AM

In the Empty Child

The Doctor: Mr Spock?
Rose: What else was I gonna say? You don't have a name! Don't you ever get tired of The Doctor? Doctor Who?
The Doctor: Nine centuries, I'm coping.

We know how old he is meant to be so... 9 Centuries goes to 9th Doctor. ;) So you do not see the assumption in that statement?

In fact, RTD admitted to messing up his age in that scene and another scene, because it would have made him too young for some of the previous Doctors to have existed.

I willing to overlook such errors from the production team, but saying the Doctor is x number of years old does not prove how many regenerations he has experienced.

If he said he was 1,200 years old, does that mean he was on his 12th body? No.
Unless I had something to back up the statement, that would just be an assumption.

The Second Doctor mentions he is 450 years old in Tomb of the Cybermen.
The Fourth Doctor mentions he is 759 years old in the The Ribos Operation.
The Sixth Doctor mentions he is 900 years old in Revelation of the Daleks.
The Seventh Doctor mentions he is 953 years old in Time and the Rani.

So that is sufficient to disprove your theory as it applied to classic series.
The new series is more open to interpretation for the time being.

April 25th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Oh and it is not a new show, it is a series and it is a continuation. :cool: :rolleyes:Until that is definitively established on-screen, we can not claim it definitively.

If RTD was to leave the series and someone else took over, they could establish a new mythology for the series without contradicting previous new series episodes, while completely contradicting the original series.

Basing it strictly on what has been mentioned on-screen, Christopher's Doctor is not the first incarnation of the character. He is at least 900 years old.

I know RTD is basing the show off the original series, even following old series production notes to stay true to it.

It just hasn't been established on-screen yet. That's all I'm trying to say.

GhostPoet
April 26th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Long ago on the planet Gallifrey, a humanoid race discovered the key to time travel. Those Gallifreyans that passed the necessary academic requirements were granted the title Time Lord by the rulers.

*Through a series of events, the Gallifreyan race had become sterile.
*Machines were invented to artifically create new Gallifreyans.
*Both of these were mentioned in the novels, but not the television series.

Meanwhile another technology had been developed to endow the Time Lords with the ability to regenerate into a new body upon death 12 times. By that, I mean a Time Lord effectively had 13 lives.

In the beginning, the Time Lords abused their new mastery over time to snatch creatures from various worlds and pit them against each other in deadly games. Eventually, they came to realize the responsibility of these powers and adopted a strict official policy of observation and non-intervention. Unofficially, they did send out agents. Occasionally, they employed the services of Time Lords who had gone rogue.

In the classic series, the Doctor (a rogue Time Lord) encountered many Time Lords and occasionally visited Gallifrey.

Obviously, I could tell you much more, but I would not want to spoil you on either new series and classic series episodes.

Are novels considered actual canon? I know in Star Wars and the star Trek franchise novels are pretty iffy when it comes to canon.

April 26th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Are novels considered actual canon? I know in Star Wars and the star Trek franchise novels are pretty iffy when it comes to canon.They once were canon...until RTD decided they are not necessarily canon...so they're now in the "iffy" category.

However, much of the novels are based on production notes by Andrew Cartmel and RTD seems to be following the production notes from the Classic Series, making the premises less "iffy" than the actual interpretation of them in the novels.

At least that's my take.

Does that make sense to you?
If it does, could you please explain it to me? :D

Honestly, not even the classic series itself can be definitively said to be part of the new series in the strictest definition of canon.

RTD sees the classic series (and production notes apparently) as canon, but doesn't feel the need to avoid contradicting the novels.

In order to give any in depth description of Gallifrey, you almost have to mention the novel Lungbarrow, because it was originally planned as an episode of the original series following Cartmel's plan for the Classic Series and answers so many questions of fandom.

The strictly canon answer for the new series is that virtually nothing in known about Gallifrey beyond a few sketchy references to the Time War.

DISCLAIMER: The Doctor Who universe is the most convoluted and confusing continuity ever.

Madeleine
April 29th, 2006, 05:41 PM
It just hasn't been established on-screen yet. That's all I'm trying to say.

I think now that sarah jane has identified him as the same person she was with in the classic series it counts as a continuation. Does that make sense?

April 30th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I think now that sarah jane has identified him as the same person she was with in the classic series it counts as a continuation. Does that make sense?Depends on what was said. I haven't seen that episode, but her presence certainly adds more weight to the argument.

Ask yourself this. If you had only seen the new series and were completely unaware of the original, what conclusions would you draw about the Doctor's past?

Regardless, we all know RTD's intent is that the new series is a continuation.

Invariably discrepancies will arise between the two shows that may cause some to question what is canon, but it's no big deal since the show was never very consistent anyhow.

It would be nice to eventually solidify the relationship between the original and new series on-screen.

Sarah Jane Smith's appearance was a major step in that direction.

Darkseid
May 1st, 2006, 03:57 AM
Depends on what was said. I haven't seen that episode, but her presence certainly adds more weight to the argument.

Ask yourself this. If you had only seen the new series and were completely unaware of the original, what conclusions would you draw about the Doctor's past?

Invariably discrepancies will arise between the two shows that may cause some to question what is canon, but it's no big deal since the show was never very consistent anyhow.

It would be nice to eventually solidify the relationship between the original and new series on-screen.

...and I can't wait for you to see the episode. While some people are claiming it is the second coming of Christ (Obviously it is good. Quite good. In fact, it is very good! But it is not my favorite of the entire series. It's actually not my favorite of the new series. But, it's the best this season.) I do belive that you will find the episode enjoyable in a entertaining and a 'continuing saga of a Time Lord and his always getting younger companion...'

Truth be told, with some people here speculating that this new show is almost 'Doctor Who 2', or a reinventing of Doctor Who, I am extremly happy it isn't. I want to see stories of the Doctor I grew up with. Not some Doctor wannabe. Why would I want to put any emotional investment in a different Doctor from a parallel universe? This is one thing the Fox movie did get right. From what I understand, they were gonna litterally do a relaunch of the show with a new Doctor. I would have watched it anyway, but would have hated it even more. I have 26 season of the Doctor I love, I don't want to waste time getting to know a different one.

I very much agree with you on the indescrepencies which are going to arise. I know there are a lot of newer fans out there that probably never watched a classic episode of the original series, and some who never heard of it, but what's very important for all the fans, new and old, to understand is that it is impossible for anyone to remember 26 years worth of continuity when writing/producing/directing this show.

In fact, in the last episode of Season (or series) one A Dalek in the TARDIS fires his weapon in the control room. Any Whovian will remind people of 'Temperal Grace' and that weapons can not be used inside the TARDIS (even the original show forgot that at times...)

Flyboy
May 1st, 2006, 04:18 AM
Depends on what was said. I haven't seen that episode, but her presence certainly adds more weight to the argument.

The doctor ALSO said hed had half a dozen regenerations since he and SJS last met.

May 1st, 2006, 09:44 AM
The doctor ALSO said hed had half a dozen regenerations since he and SJS last met.Hmmm...that helps.

Slight problem though...the Doctor last met her in his Fifth incarnation during the events of The Five Doctors.

Half a dozen (6) + 5th Doctor = 11th Doctor.

RTD probably forgot about that.
In any case, that brings the two series much closer and I'm glad to hear it.

The Signal
May 1st, 2006, 10:46 AM
Hmmm...that helps.

Slight problem though...the Doctor last met her in his Fifth incarnation during the events of The Five Doctors.

Mind wipe wouldnt be unlike the Time Lords in those circumstances.

Flyboy
May 1st, 2006, 11:04 AM
Hmmm...that helps.

I havent seen the Five Doctors, but didn't SJS apear as the FOURTH Doctor's companion? And in that case, they were probably taken from a period of time when they were together normally, and so the last time SJS actually saw the doctor would have been when he abandoned her in Croyden/Aberdeen.

May 1st, 2006, 05:57 PM
I havent seen the Five Doctors, but didn't SJS apear as the FOURTH Doctor's companion? And in that case, they were probably taken from a period of time when they were together normally, and so the last time SJS actually saw the doctor would have been when he abandoned her in Croyden/Aberdeen.Well actually...

The Five Doctors
She was taken out of time after she had left the Doctor and after the events of K-9 & Company, because K-9 was seen at her home.

"Danger, mistress."

Although she assisted the Third Doctor, she did meet the First, Second, and Fifth Doctors.

That was her last appearance on the television series.

She never even got to see the Fourth Doctor in that adventure.

Willow'sCat
May 1st, 2006, 06:34 PM
The doctor ALSO said hed had half a dozen regenerations since he and SJS last met.Yeah I picked up on that, mostly because I rewatched it twice and then again and wheeeeeeeeeee! Sarah Jane! He definitely spoke to her as if he was the 10th Doctor no if's or buts he made it pretty clear IMO heck in anyone's opinion who had seen the episode and with K-9 in there as well I just don't see how anyone could interpret it any other way. He is the 10th Doctor.
OK so all that is spoilerish so please put them in tags.;) This thread is for new members or members wondering what the show is about so most people looking in here would not have seen the show. :S *I don't know what is wrong with them either* :S

Madeleine
May 2nd, 2006, 01:47 AM
I know that the value of half a dozen is six, but I think it's like 'a couple' - the exact value is two, but it's also a synonyn for 'a very few'. I say 'half a dozen' to mean an unspecified and possibly variable value between four and nine. :o

Willow'sCat
May 2nd, 2006, 02:08 AM
I know that the value of half a dozen is six, but I think it's like 'a couple' - the exact value is two, but it's also a synonyn for 'a very few'. I say 'half a dozen' to mean an unspecified and possibly variable value between four and nine. :oWhat? I say half a dozen to mean 6, unless you mean a baker's dozen? Still it was six when I was at school. Anyway it is all semantics, he is The 10th Doctor becasue nothing else even comes close to making sense. Unless they wish to forget the silly 1996 Movie, now that I could go along with. :cool:

May 2nd, 2006, 08:57 AM
What? I say half a dozen to mean 6, unless you mean a baker's dozen? Still it was six when I was at school. Anyway it is all semantics, he is The 10th Doctor becasue nothing else even comes close to making sense. Unless they wish to forget the silly 1996 Movie, now that I could go along with. :cool:"Half a dozen" could easily mean "about half a dozen", as Madeleine_W suggested.

Personally, I like to be as precise as I can, but not everyone does.

Metarock Sam
May 2nd, 2006, 11:09 AM
We could argue that Sarahs memories were erased after the events of the 5 Doctors by the Timelords. Or something like that.

May 2nd, 2006, 12:12 PM
We could argue that Sarahs memories were erased after the events of the 5 Doctors by the Timelords. Or something like that.Yes, but that doesn't explain why the Doctor got the number wrong. Sarah Jane wouldn't know how many Doctors there are either way. It's seems irrelevent to me.

Madeleine
May 2nd, 2006, 10:29 PM
Or maybe it's like birthdays once you're in your twenties: some people don't know how old they are, and if asked they have to stop and think and calculate it, or just pick a random number that isn't far off. Maybe Time Lords get like that about regeneration after a while, a bit blase?

May 3rd, 2006, 08:51 AM
Or maybe it's like birthdays once you're in your twenties: some people don't know how old they are, and if asked they have to stop and think and calculate it, or just pick a random number that isn't far off. Maybe Time Lords get like that about regeneration after a while, a bit blase?Hmmm, your number of regenerations seems like a pretty important number to remember, especially if you regularly expose yourself to danger.

However, I am one of those people who can't remember his age and "important dates" like holidays, birthdays, and such...so I take your meaning.

The Signal
May 3rd, 2006, 08:55 AM
Yes, but that doesn't explain why the Doctor got the number wrong. Sarah Jane wouldn't know how many Doctors there are either way. It's seems irrelevent to me.
Unless the Doctor lost his memories too.

Im also about 90% sure that he said "about half a dozen times since we last met" so that would sort the problem out right there, I will watch again to check when its repeated.

Metarock Sam
May 3rd, 2006, 02:33 PM
about half a dozen sounds right. He still is finding his feet after his regeneration and afterall after 10 regenerations and god knows how many years your memories bound to be a little rusty.

Dallista
May 5th, 2006, 02:31 AM
He definitely says "about half a dozen" in the take shown in the Confidential episode, so maybe that was the intention of the script, and Tennant just sort of swallowed the first word in the take that actually made it to the aired version. He does that a lot, anyway ("You could have someone's eye out with that!" being an example; I can listen to it over and over and still only hear a couple of the words), so I'm just going to believe he says "about half a dozen" in the episode, too. :)

Dumper
May 14th, 2006, 11:56 AM
It seems like nobody knows what the hell is right or wrong with this series. It's about time the writers and producers started explaining things to clear up so much confusion. One of the reasons i love SG-1 so much is that most of the confusing questions about the Stargate have been explained.

Flyboy
May 14th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Ok... ultimate proof:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/rams/filler/drwho_8thdoctor.ram

The Signal
May 14th, 2006, 01:21 PM
It seems like nobody knows what the hell is right or wrong with this series. It's about time the writers and producers started explaining things to clear up so much confusion. One of the reasons i love SG-1 so much is that most of the confusing questions about the Stargate have been explained.
Yes and SG1 has had to start all over again like it was a totally new show because of that. Doctor Who has never needed to do that in 28 seasons. That level of mystery is what make Doctor Who what it is. Its forever changing with the timeline, but the basic levels are always the same, a lonely traveller out in the stars, crossing time and space just to see history take place. If they explained everything like the Time War and the 8th Doctor's regeneration, or even the truth about the Doctor's origins, the show would loose a huge part of itself and the Doctor would have less room to develop.

BC - 303
July 9th, 2006, 11:49 AM
why doesnt the iris go donut shaped
What happens if you walk through the wrong end of a wormhole
Do the cheverons come in one at a time or all at once for an incoming wormhole
Do you dial 6 symbols then the big botton on the DHD, or seven THEN the botton

Non of these has been officialy answered.

In 43 years, your bound to cross you own canon a few times.
The basic princibles of Doctor who dont change. Time lord in Tardis, exploring the universe even though he knows most of it anyway, Traveling with companions, usualy from modden day earth, nearly ALWAYS traveling with a women, Although the Doctor can never says he loves them or any sex happen between them.

Flyboy
July 9th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Actually there have been a LOT of male companions...

The Signal
July 9th, 2006, 11:59 AM
*sobs* Adric. Plus Jamie was one of the best ever *pulls out bring back Jamie sign*

BC - 303
July 9th, 2006, 12:08 PM
im not saying there hasnt been male.
Look at the history of Doctor who
he has, almost constantly traveled with Females, there isnt even half a season he hasnt gone without female on board.
However hes gone 6 seasons without any males. (Jamie left at the end of season 6, he didnt get another male till Harry at the begining of season 12)

July 9th, 2006, 12:24 PM
But during those years, there were three recurring male characters.

The Signal
July 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I'm fighting the urge to make merry with that line. Yes, I am that immature. :D
merry away, we're all under the mental age of five here :P

Flyboy
July 9th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Oh dear, oh dear...

July 9th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Oh dear, oh dear...Sorry. Every once in a while, the adolescent in me breaks out. :o

Flyboy
July 9th, 2006, 01:50 PM
It's ok... I just wish i got the joke...

Indum'kra
July 9th, 2006, 02:00 PM
*forsees horrible future for this thread full of dubious sexuality jokes*

July 9th, 2006, 02:09 PM
*forsees horrible future for this thread full of dubious sexuality jokes*It was all in fun. I'll delete it.

Cam_Mitchell
July 25th, 2006, 06:57 AM

Thanks

He is only like he greatest sci-fi character ever lol

--Gaz--

Admiral Mappalazarou
July 30th, 2006, 11:13 AM
If you keep hearing people talkin about Dr Who they're probably referring to the new series created by Russel T Davies starring David Tennant.

Basically, an alien from a long lost alien race called the Time Lords travels through space and time in his magic police box called the Tardis. It's a space ship but the wire got stuck during a transformation and now it's stuck as a 1960s police public call box.

His name is The Doctor, and he travels from place to place putting right what once went wrong through different stages of Earth's timeline; he could travel from the 18th century to the year Five Billion.
He usually has a companion, someone to see The Doctor through human eyes and react for us when something new happens. His Last companion was Rose Tyler (played by actress/singer Billie Piper), and his next companion will be revealed next season.

I can't wait :) I hope that helped in your discovery of the Doctor Whoniverse, and please watch the series - It Rocks!

Locutus_Of_Borg
August 12th, 2006, 11:58 PM
One thing though, im a long Doctor Who fan, but he has 13 lives, you never hear it in the classic series, nor the new series, only in the movies, since the Time Lords are since gone and he is the last, shouldnt he be able to employ the Regeneration cycle all he wants

The Signal
August 13th, 2006, 03:55 AM
We honestly can't answer that, we really do not know if the 12 regeneration/13 lives rule is enforced by the Time Lords, or if it is a natural limit that cannot be exceeded. (right?)

Metarock Sam
August 13th, 2006, 12:13 PM
well in the Novels when a gallifreyan becomes a timelord (through passing the acadamey) they are given Nanobots which provide the regeneration process . At each regeneration they degrade until the final regeneration when after that they cease to function. Whether RTD will use this or not we dont know.

August 13th, 2006, 12:21 PM
The twelve regenerations/thirteen lives was first mentioned in The Deadly Assassin.

It was also mentioned in The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis, Mawdryn Undead, The Five Doctors, and The Twin Dilemma.

The High Council was willing to grant the Master a new regeneration cycle, implying it is artificial, in The Five Doctors. Also we learn Rassilon is not a big fan of immortality seekers, so it is possible he purposely limited this method of life extension. Or they might simply degrade as Metarock Sam just said.

The novels tell us only Gallifreyans who graduate and become Time Lords, are granted a regeneration cycle. Nanotechology is used to regenerate. It became necessary to develop this technology to extend their lives after the Gallifreyans race was sterilized.

Locutus_Of_Borg
August 13th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Hmmm i see, then if Doctor Who graduated from the Academy so to speak, then why is it he got an old Type 40 TARDIS.

The Signal
August 14th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Basically? He "borrowed" it *cough*

Metarock Sam
August 14th, 2006, 07:37 AM
yes.... borrowed :P

Jynjyr
November 5th, 2006, 06:58 PM
If you keep hearing people talkin about Dr Who they're probably referring to the new series created by Russel T Davies starring David Tennant.

<snip for space>

I can't wait :) I hope that helped in your discovery of the Doctor Whoniverse, and please watch the series - It Rocks!
Is there a reason, within the world of Dr. Who, why he has a Companion?
I know it makes for good storytelling. That's a RL reason. What's the Whovian reason?

BTW - I never saw it until is hit Sci-Fi Channel. Anyone know where I can get some of the original eps to watch?

November 5th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I know it makes for good storytelling. That's a RL reason. What's the Whovian reason?Yeah, he's pretty much been an exile/pariah/last survivor of his people through out the series....
....so he's pretty lonely.

BTW - I never saw it until is hit Sci-Fi Channel. Anyone know where I can get some of the original eps to watch?Well, plenty of them have already been released on DVD.
Also, a handful of PBS stations are still showing the classic series episodes.
And finally...

BBC Worldwide has announced a deal with the Amazon retailer in America, proving content for their new Unbox digital video download service. Doctor Who has been made available on the Unbox service (link here (http://www.unbox.com/)) with episodes that have previously been released on DVD, including "The Aztecs," "Tomb of the Cybermen," "Spearhead from Space," "The Three Doctors," "The Robots of Death," "The Caves of Androzani" and others. "The BBC is widely known for producing some of the most popular and entertaining TV shows in the industry," said Bill Carr, Amazon.com's vice president of digital media. "We are proud to offer Amazon Unbox customers a faster, more convenient way to watch their favorite BBC programming in DVD-quality picture."

GateGipsy
November 6th, 2006, 07:20 AM
I know it makes for good storytelling. That's a RL reason. What's the Whovian reason?

BTW - I never saw it until is hit Sci-Fi Channel. Anyone know where I can get some of the original eps to watch?

None that I know of, other than as someone has said, he's lonely.

Note that it is only this doctor who is the last of the timelords, and all the doctors have had companions.

Now the first doctor - his companion was his grand daughter and two of her teachers who inadvertantly came along when he left earth in the Tardis, or am I thinking of the early movies (I believe that was his grand daughter there too).

Flyboy
November 6th, 2006, 09:55 AM
The early movies aren't canon.

But they did adapt the canon from the show. So yes, youre right about the granddaughter and school teachers thing.

November 6th, 2006, 05:57 PM
A few forced their way on board to investigate, but many were by invitation.

lord-anubis
November 7th, 2006, 10:22 PM
i have a question for long time doctor who fans.

who was the best and worse doctor? i saw some of the old eps and i kind of like the 3 doctor and i am not much of a fan of the 7 but i only seen one ep with him in it.

also how many times can a time lord Regenerate?

JediPug1
November 7th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Well, I'm new to Doctor Who as well but I have a huge fondness for the ninth Doctor. They say your first Doctor is always your favorite. That being said, I adore Ten! David Tennant is fantastic!

lord-anubis
November 7th, 2006, 10:44 PM
yeah that goes with out saying the 9th doctor was my first. but im starting to like the 10th doctor more

Jynjyr
November 8th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Me too. There's just something about how Tennant plays him. A certain air of, je ne sais quoi, insolence, arrogance, a tad manic. Eccelston had his manic moments but, seemed more serious to me.

Flyboy
November 8th, 2006, 06:53 AM

who was the best and worse doctor? i saw some of the old eps and i kind of like the 3 doctor and i am not much of a fan of the 7 but i only seen one ep with him in it.

also how many times can a time lord Regenerate?

Easiest question first.

The timelords can regenerate 12 times, giving them 13 bodies. However, it has been established that the council can offer new sets of regenerations to worthy causes.

As for the best and worst. It is of course a matter of perspective. I own all the first, second, third, fourth and fifth Doctor DVDs as well as the 8th Doctor Movie and S1 & 2 of the new Who series. Whilst I have only seen the sixth Doctor briefly at the end of the last 5th Doctor story, and have only seen the 7th Doctor in the start of the Paul mcGann movie, I feel this leaves me in a good position to comment.

If we want to go by mass opinion, it would seem that the 4th Doctor played by Tom Baker is the most popular. He has more DVDs out than any other Doctor, played the role for seven years, longer than any other actor and is oftenseen as the definitive Doctor, at least before the new series.

Again, by general opinion, it is the 6th Doctor who was the only Doctor asked to leave the role by the BBC. He is widely regarded as being fairly obnoxious. He was blamed for the decrease in popularity of the series. This is of course debatable.

Now for my personal opinion.

I find it very difficult to decide between the 2nd, 5th and 8th Doctors. I suppose the 8th can be considered to be MY Doctor. As it was the first new incarnation I'd seen, even though I'd experienced Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee eps as a child. I like the 8th Doctor's politeness, his dress style, and his mannerisms.

For me the 5th Doctor had a certain.... childishness that I adored. And when I say childish, I mean he was stubborn and wanted his own way. I liked that.

As for the second, I suppose it was in part due to the quality of the writing of the old episodes, but I do like this character, unfortunately, I can't place a reason for it.

Obviously I LOVE the 10th Doctor, but he's not my favourite. I think that's been due to his Rose interaction though.

(And let's not get me started on how much I enjoyed the Nth Doctor played by Richard E Grant in Scream of the Shalka)

As for my personal worst Doctor, I dont like what I've seen of the 6th, but in all fairness, I have to say I didnt like the early years of Tom Baker or the Jon Pertwee Doctor at all.

The Signal
November 8th, 2006, 10:29 AM
(And let's not get me started on how much I enjoyed the Nth Doctor played by Richard E Grant in Scream of the Shalka)

Good stuff that Shalka serial, canon or not Grant's Doctor was a good one IMO, and I'm hoping that when it comes to choosing an 11th Doctor, they'll at least offer him the job.

As for the others, Colin Baker just wasnt right for the role IMO, but his Doctor has a fanbase as do all of them. The thing I've noticed is that as time has gone on, the 9th and 10th Doctor's seem less impressive in my memory (though they are still ranked amongst my favourites), though I can easily put it down to there not being any new episodes for a while, the same can be said for the other Doctor's, and none of them loose their shine, especially the 4th Doctor, who was nothing short of brilliance.

lord-anubis
November 8th, 2006, 10:50 AM
i have seen of the 4th doctor eps if i could see more of hes eps he probly be my fave. agree what some one said about the 9th doctor being more seruois then the 10.

Admiral Mappalazarou
November 8th, 2006, 11:17 AM

I never watched the older episodes and only started watching when Chris Eccleston became the ninth doctor. The reason that the Doctor has a companion is for ours, the viewers, benefit. The companion is usually someone from the present whom see's the Whoniverse from our perspective - a whole new world! Someone who would react how we would react if we were put in the supernatural situation (such as being hunted by Daleks, Cybermen and Slithene etc.):)

November 8th, 2006, 07:59 PM

who was the best and worse doctor? i saw some of the old eps and i kind of like the 3 doctor and i am not much of a fan of the 7 but i only seen one ep with him in it.That's just a matter of opinion.
Personally, I like them all, but I like the Seventh Doctor the least.
Yet, he is a favorite amongst many fans.

I'd have to say that the Fourth is the most popular from the classic series.
The Third probably follows closely behind with the Fifth trailing moreso in third place.

That, however, doesn't reflect my personal preference.
I've seen all the existing episodes, so if you should ever need some viewing suggestions on a particular Doctor, let me know.

lord-anubis
November 8th, 2006, 10:20 PM
i was watching south park right now and there was a dog robot called k-10. i wonder if it was a doctor who refents

November 9th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Well, considering "K-9" is a homonym of "canine"...Doctor Who probably wasn't even a consideration.

lord-anubis
November 9th, 2006, 07:53 PM
yeah i jsut thought cuz the ep had alot of other refents to other scifi shows

November 9th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Doctor Who isn't "mainstream" enough in the U.S. to warrant such references from Matt & Trey who regularly tap into American pop culture and common human experiences.
Very few Americans would get a Doctor Who reference or "in-joke", so they wouldn't bother.

pbellosom
November 10th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Doctor Who isn't "mainstream" enough in the U.S. to warrant such references from Matt & Trey who regularly tap into American pop culture and common human experiences.
Very few Americans would get a Doctor Who reference or "in-joke", so they wouldn't bother.

I've seen Doctor Who references in the Simpsons though.

lord-anubis
November 10th, 2006, 11:34 AM
a show called robot chicken had one to a while ago. it was just the 4th doctor on frist base yelling out do u get it

November 10th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I've seen Doctor Who references in the Simpsons though.As have I. Matt Groening's works are filled with obscure cultural references.

lord-anubis
November 11th, 2006, 08:11 PM
after watching some more eps of the 4th doctor. i can see why people like him more then the others its cuz he has candy

NIKIN
November 18th, 2006, 02:43 AM
more specifically, jelly babies

"Would you like a jelly baby?"

lord-anubis
December 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM
i was wondering why people seem not to like the 6th doctor i seen a couple eps of him and i like him. the only thing i dident like was the girl he was traveling with in attack of cybermen she kind of annoryed me

Hypochondriac
March 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I've seen Doctor Who references in the Simpsons though.

can you give an example? New to Dr. Who so I wondering what joke I missed in the simpsons

Madeleine
March 4th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I remember Comic Book Store Guy talking about the Doctor Who Marathon that he was about to watch...

Commander Jumper
March 4th, 2007, 11:08 AM
hehe we watched that episode... mum looked at me and with a sad voice said. "I can see Anne's Future husband" oi it hurts :p

pbellosom
March 4th, 2007, 11:37 AM
can you give an example? New to Dr. Who so I wondering what joke I missed in the simpsons

In the episode where side show Bob has a bomb on the Duff blimp, the 4th Doctor is one of the representives of television.

March 4th, 2007, 11:43 AM

The Simpsons

The Simpsons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons) has briefly referred to Doctor Who at least five times. The Fourth Doctor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Doctor) (or Tom Baker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Baker) in costume) made cameo appearances in the episodes "Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideshow_Bob%27s_Last_Gleaming)" (as one of the "esteemed representatives of television"), "Mayored to the Mob (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayored_to_the_Mob)" (at a science fiction convention) and "Treehouse of Horror X (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treehouse_of_Horror_X)" (in which he is kidnapped by the Comic Book Guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Guy), along with Lucy Lawless (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_Lawless) and Yasmine Bleeth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasmine_Bleeth)). Tables resembling the TARDIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS) console appear briefly in "The Homer They Fall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Homer_They_Fall)", and in "Bart the Fink (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_the_Fink)" the Comic Book Guy is seen wheeling a wheelbarrow full of tacos and saying, "100 tacos should provide sufficient sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon." [3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_spoofs#_note-2) In "Springfield Up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Up)", Homer calls the British narrator Declan Desmond (voiced by Eric Idle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Idle)) "Doctor Who"; Idle was among a long list of actors considered for the role of the Eighth Doctor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_Doctor) in the 1996 Doctor Who television movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_%281996_film%29).[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_spoofs#_note-3)
Along with the Saturday Night Live and Robot Chicken sketches mentioned (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_spoofs#Saturday_Night_Live_.282002.2C_2005.29) below (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_spoofs#Robot_Chicken_.282006.29), these brief references comprise virtually the whole of Doctor Who parody on American broadcast television, to date.

Saturday Night Live

The March 16 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_16), 2002 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002) episode of Saturday Night Live (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Live) featured Sir Ian McKellen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_McKellen) — then famous for his roles in the X-Men (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men) and The Lord of the Rings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_film_trilogy) movies — in a sketch about a public access television (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_access_television) programme titled "Kevin and Richie's Comic Book Zone". In it, McKellen plays a pizza parlour manager with a knack for genre impersonations, who crashes Kevin and Richie's show dressed in costume as the Fourth Doctor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Doctor). The hosts deride his choice of subject and quickly ask him to try his hand at other English-accented characters, leading to McKellen mimicking his own performances in the genre. The February 5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_5), 2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005) episode featured Paris Hilton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Hilton) in a spoof advertisement for a phone sex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_sex) line for science fiction and fantasy fans. At the sketch's conclusion, Hilton dons a Tom Baker-style scarf and floppy hat and mentions Doctor Who, the TARDIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS), Daleks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalek) and "extermination".[3] (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/04/04kexclusive.phtml)
Both are notable for being rare inclusions of Doctor Who in American popular culture. The comparatively limited fashion in which Doctor Who has penetrated the American cultural consciousness (as opposed to Star Trek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek)) may account for why SNL did not satirise the series' specific concepts, but merely incorporated it as part of a parody of fandom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction_fandom) in general.

Robot Chicken

In the Adult Swim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_Swim) series Robot Chicken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Chicken), the Fourth Doctor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Doctor) made an appearance, standing on the first base of a baseball diamond asking "Do you get it?", a reference to the Abbott and Costello (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbott_and_Costello) sketch "Who's on First? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who%27s_on_First%3F)". In another episode, entitled "Suck It", a student begins to give a presentation about the TARDIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS) before being berated for his perceived geekiness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek).

Defiant
April 16th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Thanks

Best intro to the Dr is perhaps seeing for yourself

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=381403

scirev
June 9th, 2007, 12:38 PM
That's a good vid.

If you like fan written stuff I have written some fanfics featuring the Doctor and quite a few of them feature characters / teams etc from Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis...

You can find them here:

http://www.scirev.net/who

Defiant
June 25th, 2007, 07:51 AM
That's a good vid.

Thanks I don't know if you are up to date with the new series but if so did you notice Russell T. Davies want back on his word ;)

He said he'd never bring back The Master because he didn't like the character but like magic he's back

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=702621

Pitry
June 25th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks I don't know if you are up to date with the new series but if so did you notice Russell T. Davies want back on his word ;)

He said he'd never bring back The Master because he didn't like the character but like magic he's back

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=702621

Yeah, not the first time they lying through their teeth, re: "What? Of course Billie Piper's staying for series three!" :)

Frankly, I prefer their "control as many leaks as possible" attitudes than the complete and utter leakage we have on Stargate, for example.

Tiret
July 3rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
I finally know who Dr. Who is!!! Thanks to my friend at work who has gotten me totally hooked. Great, now I have yet another set of DVD's to buy! :rolleyes::p

Pitry
July 8th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I finally know who Dr. Who is!!! Thanks to my friend at work who has gotten me totally hooked. Great, now I have yet another set of DVD's to buy! :rolleyes::p

Look at the extra bonus - they're really expensive!

Trek_Girl42
July 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Look at the extra bonus - they're really expensive!

What a horrible friend you have Tiret! :P

Pitry
July 8th, 2007, 11:19 AM
What a horrible friend you have Tiret! :P

I know, I have such a talent to make people feel better! :D

rosey_angel
July 16th, 2007, 05:57 AM
hello, newbie here!

i started watching torchwood a few weeks back, when it started airing here, andi just finished the first of the 2005 series today, and i have a question about capt jack.

i was under the impression in DW jack knew he couldn't die, but the end of the last ep ('parting of the ways'?) made me reconsider. did the time vortex/rose give him that power when she was killing the daleks?

Madeleine
July 16th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Jack was surprised to wake up not dead at the end of Parting of the Ways. He had expected to die for real from the bomb on his ship at the end of The Doctor Dances, and again with the Daleks. In torchwood I can't remember what he says after susie shoots him and he pops back up a few minutes later but I don't think there's any doubt that the immunity from death came from vortex-Rose.

rosey_angel
July 16th, 2007, 06:24 AM
^thought so, but it was very odd seeing TW first where all the adverts were announcing "a man who cannot die"; i'd just assumed he was always immortal.

in TW after susie shoots him, he took it in his stride, as if he knew he was gonna come back up again.

i guess he learnt alot in that year between DW s1 and TW s2

thanks!

Flyboy
July 16th, 2007, 06:30 AM
The running order goes:

Doctor Who S1
Doctor Who S2
Torchwood S1
Doctor Who S3

When the Doctor first met captain Jack in S1, Jack was just human, a 51st century felixible dancing human - yes, but still human. After The Parting of the Ways, Jack become immortal, which we don't see until Torchwood itself.

When Rose brought Jack back to life, she accidentally gave him... shall we say... too MUCH life.

Does that help?

Madeleine
July 16th, 2007, 06:55 AM
^thought so, but it was very odd seeing TW first where all the adverts were announcing "a man who cannot die"; i'd just assumed he was always immortal.

in TW after susie shoots him, he took it in his stride, as if he knew he was gonna come back up again.

i guess he learnt alot in that year between DW s1 and TW s2

thanks!

spoilers for doctor who, s3 He's lived 140 years between DW s1 and TW s1; he's 'died' many many times. :eek:

rosey_angel
July 16th, 2007, 04:08 PM
thank you both!

Celestial
August 21st, 2007, 01:02 AM
I guess this is the best place as any for those new to the whole Dr. Who phenomenon. For me, I guess it would have to be the new 2005 ongoing series. Once I'm caught up with what's going on, I wouldn't mind going back and checking out the classics.

I happen to have watched my first episode (and among many I can assure you :D ) of Dr. Who, and it was fantastic! I was hooked! I guess if it wasn't for the fact that I got hooked into Torchwood too, I may never have come across to check out a Dr. Who episode at all. I've know about the show a long time, just never got introduced to it. The fact that at the time it first aired in Ch2 in Australia, my reception of that channel was like watching plenty of ants march across the screen you can hardly see the actual show that was airing! But with all the hype of Torchwood and the discussions I've read so far, I got pretty interested and very quickly.

I can't wait for the continuation to the "Human Nature" episode and see whether the Dr. Who will change back to a Time Lord in order to save the day from the evil Family.

I can see also why so many like the show because the character of Dr. Who is very hard not to like. He seem at first glance, a very likeable person, but then again, I've only one episode to compare and that of what I've read so far. But I'm optimistic. Besides, it's also a bonus I guess when the actor who plays Dr. Who are quite good looking too, from the pictures I've seen :D.

Mind you, I have a lot of catching up to do, to find out about the Daleks, Family, Time Lords and everything good and evil connected with the Dr. Who series. I just wish there was a quicker way for me to get my hands on S1 to current of the 2005 Dr. Who series without costing me a fortune and seeking out the DVD's if they are even sold in Australia and where to get them. Any help here from anyone would be much appreciated. :D

A question....Is the Dr. Who series much like the Stargate series where the storyline of each episode sometimes has nothing to do with any other episodes, but has an underlying plot/story that continues on throughout the series? For example, like the Aphopis storyline, or even now, the Ori story?? Does my question make sense?

rosey_angel
August 21st, 2007, 01:39 AM
As for buying the dvds, any ABC store will sell them, and angus & robertson book stores have those ABC centres, so you can get them there. my local A&R has the dvds, plus some inflatable daleks :D . my local Big W has them, too, so you might wanna try there. and my Blockbuster has them, too, but maybe i'm just lucky :)

as for the storylines, best to be answered by someone more experienced in the whoverse

Celestial
August 21st, 2007, 02:17 AM
Thank you rosey.

I'll check out the surrounding video lending stores here. Hope either Civic, Blockbuster, or Viedo Ezy has them. If not, I guess I'm just gonna have to save up to get them, which will probably take forever :( Here's wishing to win the Powerball or the Lotto :D

rosey_angel
August 21st, 2007, 02:20 AM
np and good luck! a think there's a who fan near me, i went to the video store and some of the discs that had been there sunday were gone today

Celestial
August 21st, 2007, 02:23 AM
Well, here's hoping I'll find someone close to me who's a Dr. Who fan so I don't have to buy them. I don't think my hubby will appreciate if I start collecting them too since we're already collecting Stargate and Atlantis!

See you for now. It's dinnertime and my boys are shounting at me for food!! :eek: :rolleyes:

rosey_angel
August 21st, 2007, 02:26 AM
lolz good night! oh, and wiki have pretty good DW info, so you can check out any backstory there.

Celestial
August 21st, 2007, 02:35 AM
Thanks again rosey...talk to you later. :)

Madeleine
August 21st, 2007, 10:55 PM
A question....Is the Dr. Who series much like the Stargate series where the storyline of each episode sometimes has nothing to do with any other episodes, but has an underlying plot/story that continues on throughout the series? For example, like the Aphopis storyline, or even now, the Ori story?? Does my question make sense?

Yes it makes sense. I hope my answer does too :)

Current Doctor Who tends to have a theme per series. In the first series it was minor, discreet and discrete. I won't spoil it for you. In the second series it was more nebulous, it was pretty much building up to Rose leaving.

The third series is probably the one with the strongest cohesion to an arc, although where Stargate starts its arcs with a bang, it's rather hard to tell where a Doctor Who arc starts without plenty of hindsight. DW arcs expand as they approach the end of the series.

Classic Doctor Who sometimes had a theme for each series (The Key to Time series for instance) and sometimes a series would contain a number of stories which were sequels to each other, but more often it was just standalone stories, usually told over four 26min episodes.

Celestial
August 21st, 2007, 11:23 PM
Thank you for answering my question Madeleine_W. :)

I guess I thought that DW was a show that started out slowly in it's storyline and then builds up and basically you had to be really into it if you wanted to know the end without getting bored in the beginning. You know kinda like a boring movie that ends with a bang at the end. But I'm happy that the episode I saw first "Human Nature" (though not sure which season I'm watching yet) has had me hooked and now wanting to know what happens next.

I guess 10years worth of being a Stargate fan plus 3yrs of Atlantis has me used to seing a series with a bang to start off then builds up on that storyline. But will definitely check out the DW2005 series. I'm very interested too in how and where Capt. Jack Harkness fits in the whole series that Russell T. Davies found it worthy enough to create a spinoff (Torchwood) which I'm now also hooked into.

Pitry
August 22nd, 2007, 12:42 AM
Oy! You started with Human Nature. How brilliant. :)

Yeah, Doctor Who works somewhat different, but it really pays off in the end - or when you re-watch the episode and pick up all those little clues you haven't noticed the first time round. :)

I'm still surprised people picked up the Archangel logo in 42!

TuesdayRain
August 23rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
I have a very basic question that has been nagging at me and this seems like the absolutely perfect place to ask it. I have literally read all the messages on this thread and I didn't see an answer that I was looking for. I just started watching the show this season and have never heard of it until now.

My question: Is the Doctor a medical doctor?

The only episode where he seems to be a medical doctor was "Daleks in Manhattan" where he was helping Lazlo (sp?) who was dying but whatever he did was off-screen. And if he's not a medical doctor, why the name Doctor?

Naonak
August 23rd, 2007, 10:31 AM

The only episode where he seems to be a medical doctor was "Daleks in Manhattan" where he was helping Lazlo (sp?) who was dying but whatever he did was off-screen. And if he's not a medical doctor, why the name Doctor?
He's not a medical doctor, as such. He's not a doctor of anything in particular, he's a doctor of everything.

I seem to remember a scene from one episode (don't ask which one), going something like this:
"He calls himself the Doctor."
"Doctor? Of what?"
"Everything, he says."
Or something along those lines.

I don't think we know why he chose the name "Doctor".

TuesdayRain
August 23rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
But because he was able to help Laslo, can we assume that the "doctor of everything" includes a medical knowledge or was it just scientific knowledge which he obviously posesses?

Wordsmit2
August 23rd, 2007, 12:16 PM

Honestly? --It depends on the writer. In the classic series there are many many episodes in which he talks knowledgeably with medical doctors or even diagnoses and treats conditions (everything from poisonings to viruses to injured limbs). But I know of no point in the original or new series that it is suggested that he went to medical school or studied formally to be a doctor of medicine.

(Examples off the top of my head: Doctor Who and the Silurians, The Hand of Fear, The Face of Evil, Kinda, Remembrance of the Daleks.)

Because of the multi-episode format of the original series, something you saw a lot of was the Doctor investigating and experimenting. Nowadays with the single-episode format the Doctor shows up and either knows just what to do or doesn't. --There's no time to show him browsing computer files, reading books, snooping around labs, or beginning or ending what appear to be long conversations with the scientist or doctor du jour.

And if he's not a medical doctor, why the name Doctor?

At least three Doctors (Pertwee, Baker, Davison) have used the "Everything!" answer, but in each case they were being a bit flip.

Pitry
August 24th, 2007, 04:32 AM
But because he was able to help Laslo, can we assume that the "doctor of everything" includes a medical knowledge or was it just scientific knowledge which he obviously posesses?

He possesses a lot of knwoledge, having travelled the universe for a very long time. IT stands top reason some of it isn't only science per se but also medicine - just like the knwoledge he obviously has in pop culture etc.

Wordsmit2
August 24th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Right, I've got a question: What color were the eighth Doctor's (Paul McGann) eyes? I've read blue and brown and hazel, and in the one video clip I've found on YouTube that has enough light on them the right one looks green-blue and the left one hazel!

August 29th, 2007, 05:01 PM
The only episode where he seems to be a medical doctor was "Daleks in Manhattan" where he was helping Lazlo (sp?) who was dying but whatever he did was off-screen. And if he's not a medical doctor, why the name Doctor?Not all doctors are physicians.

I have a very basic question that has been nagging at me and this seems like the absolutely perfect place to ask it. I have literally read all the messages on this thread and I didn't see an answer that I was looking for. I just started watching the show this season and have never heard of it until now.

My question: Is the Doctor a medical doctor?In The Moonbase, he claims to have studied under Joseph Lister and earned a medical doctorate in 1888.

avidffan
December 11th, 2007, 10:09 PM
dr who is the colsest thing to the real anti hero with the powers of a god in modren pop tv
oddly enough hes got the same mo as our gates
go through the gate get in trouble come home but not always safe and sound
hop in the tradis go though time get in trouble get home but not always safe and sound

hes always cursed with his immorality and the love he feels for his companions (id like to see a male companion some time)who will always die before him

his stories (new series only) just go an go some tied together and some not and by the end of the season everything falls apart right before it all falls righ into place and your sitting there going holy [email protected]#$ all this started way back in ep 1 or 3 or even last season

like this : dont open this spoiler cos itll ruin the end of seasson three for you BIG TIME !

as in the end of saeson three when we learn the identity of the face of bou
its capitan jack himself and the face of bou was his nickname as a model before he joined the time agency

its good really good
by the time your done watching you notice strange things happening to you :
like paying attention to everything around you

most of all it will make you angry at the world as you realize that you cant just let life happen to you and you have to take and active roll in the world

and as others have said medical and dr are not the same
as in dr daniel jackson of sg1 is a dr of archeology mckay is a dr of multiple things none of them medicine

also the master says it quite plainlly at the end of season 3 "the doctor the man who heals/helps people how sanctimonious"

MechaThor
April 6th, 2008, 05:33 AM
What the Heck is Dr. Who? I keep Hearing about Dr. Who

Doctor Who is one of the best modern Sci Fis around (I have not seen the old series).

Ok its no SG-1 or Atlantis (which is why we r all here on Gateworld) but it makes a great 3rd place (maybe joint 3rd with firefly).

Every series of Doctor Who gets better and better, and the newest series (4) seems to be following this pattern.

Flyboy
April 6th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Doctor Who is one of the best modern Sci Fis around (I have not seen the old series).

Ok its no SG-1 or Atlantis (which is why we r all here on Gateworld) but it makes a great 3rd place (maybe joint 3rd with firefly).

Every series of Doctor Who gets better and better, and the newest series (4) seems to be following this pattern.
I'd put Doctor Who & Torchwood above SG1 and SGA....

The Signal
April 6th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Likewise... maybe not Torchwood. SG1 and Atlantis don't even come into the same league as Doctor Who for me, though Firefly does if I'm honest.

Flyboy
April 6th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Actually... I can see that about Firefly... in some ways... it feels... Whovian to me... It could be the same universe...

MechaThor
April 6th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Actually... I can see that about Firefly... in some ways... it feels... Whovian to me... It could be the same universe...

Really? I would love to see Jayne and Mal shooting daleks! But I don't really see Firefly as a Doctor Who universe.

I feel Red Dwarf has a place within the Doctors universe however, but maybe thats because they are both of British Origin, and both ROCK!

Flyboy
April 7th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Really? I would love to see Jayne and Mal shooting daleks! But I don't really see Firefly as a Doctor Who universe.

I feel Red Dwarf has a place within the Doctors universe however, but maybe thats because they are both of British Origin, and both ROCK!
I think it's the level of humour, but also the nature of things, the Alliance, the uncertainty of what's right etc... Firefly strikes me in some ways as being a lot like Blakes 7, which was DEFINITELY Whoniverse.

huntress
April 7th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I'd put Doctor Who & Torchwood above SG1 and SGA....

Waaaaay above. BSG is also on this board and to compare THAT show with SGA would be like comparing a Ferrari (Galactica) with a Seat Punto (SGA) -_-

Doctor Who and Torchwood? Mercedes S-Class

I have a question and I don't know if it has been asked before We know that the Doctor has/had a grand-daughter. Do we know what happened with her after she left him and what exactly did the daughter have a daughter or a son?

Flyboy
April 8th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Waaaaay above. BSG is also on this board and to compare THAT show with SGA would be like comparing a Ferrari (Galactica) with a Seat Punto (SGA) -_-

Doctor Who and Torchwood? Mercedes S-Class

I have a question and I don't know if it has been asked before We know that the Doctor has/had a grand-daughter. Do we know what happened with her after she left him and what exactly did the daughter have a daughter or a son?
We know she survived on earth quite happily for a while until being whisked away to the Death Zone in "The Five Doctors", where she was a good deal older. She was, presumably, returned to where she came from. Thus suggesting that at last count, she'd had a normal life in the future of earth post Dalek invasion. We have nothing beyond that...

Willow'sCat
April 11th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Doctor Who is the longest running scifi show in the history of television for a reason... it is bloody brilliant! SG doesn't even deserve to breath the same air as Doctor Who. :P
*not running away* :cool:

avidfan, I found your post a little confused but here is my reponse.:)

dr who is the colsest thing to the real anti hero with the powers of a god in modren pop tv
oddly enough hes got the same mo as our gates
go through the gate get in trouble come home but not always safe and sound
hop in the tradis go though time get in trouble get home but not always safe and sound

hes always cursed with his immorality and the love he feels for his companions (id like to see a male companion some time)who will always die before him
He is not imortal.;) The Timelords abhor immortality... watch "The Five Doctors" and you will see what happens to Timelords who try to gain immortality. I still get shivers.

I think that is why The Doctor had such a hard time being around Jack *said with a straight face* :P. Most shows don't go around endlessly killing their leads... well OK Torchwood but... yeah Jack! So of course he comes back safe and sound, just like 99.99% of lead characters. But his companions do not always survive. Adric died, he never came back.. no miraculous rabbits pulled from hats for him. :( His companions have left him because of the danger, because he doesn't always see the danger inherent in what he does.

The 'love' for his companions was originally (before RTD) one of a father towards his children IMHO... he has had male companions, Jack of course... Harry...Adric...and Jamie... *anyone I missed? Oh that guy in the first series* ;) oh and what's his name with the red hair who annoyed me no end... :cool:

Anti-hero? I never know how to take that comment. I think he is just a hero full stop. He never goes with the crowd so yeah maybe anti hero in some ways but he said it himself, coward, I like to think of him as a reluctant hero... a scared ****less hero who still does what needs to be done.

Regardless of that comment from Donna in the new ep, I think he is moral, ethical and you cannot watch "Genesis of the Daleks" and not get that, he is bloody awesome! He puts the military frakers in SG to shame with his morals and ethics. IMHO of course. :cool:;)

his stories (new series only) just go an go some tied together and some not and by the end of the season everything falls apart right before it all falls righ into place and your sitting there going holy [email protected]#$ all this started way back in ep 1 or 3 or even last season This is rather new to Doctor Who, it happened with some enemies of course but mostly the series were so long there really didn't seem to be a need to link things up to each other... no running threads, not that I recall anyway. Not like we have today.

I think given how short the new series is, you do need some kind of thread running through them, whether they always work is debatable.

like this : dont open this spoiler cos itll ruin the end of seasson three for you BIG TIME !

as in the end of saeson three when we learn the identity of the face of bou
its capitan jack himself and the face of bou was his nickname as a model before he joined the time agency

He was not called the face of boa, he was referred to as the face of *insert where Jack came from* can I get a spelling on where Jack comes from it is driving me nuts!

We only assume he could be TFoB from this, we have no proof. I think yes but then RTD is just as likely to pull the rug out from under us and have it be The Doctor's child. :P

huntress
April 13th, 2008, 06:28 AM
A different question. We know that the Timelords give themselves their names (the doctor, the master, the rani etc) and that they don't really have a name ("Shakespare Code") which is weird but fascinating. If they don't have names until they give themselves their own names, then what were they called when they were children and when do they take up the name? With the initiation when they are eight if so what did their parents, masters call them before that time? Just "hey you over there?"

Flyboy
April 13th, 2008, 07:33 AM
A different question. We know that the Timelords give themselves their names (the doctor, the master, the rani etc) and that they don't really have a name ("Shakespare Code") which is weird but fascinating. If they don't have names until they give themselves their own names, then what were they called when they were children and when do they take up the name? With the initiation when they are eight if so what did their parents, masters call them before that time? Just "hey you over there?"
They do have original names. It's constantly stated that the Doctor's name is a secret, but in The Armageddon Factor, the Doctor's name is mentioned as being Theta-Sigma. Plus, Romana was simply Romana's name. Then there was Rassilon...

Willow'sCat
April 13th, 2008, 05:38 PM
They do have original names. It's constantly stated that the Doctor's name is a secret, but in The Armageddon Factor, the Doctor's name is mentioned as being Theta-Sigma. Plus, Romana was simply Romana's name. Then there was Rassilon...Was it in The Armageddon Factor? I thought something was mentioned way back, which is why I was confused about this name thing still being an issue. I couldn't remember where or when. Was it really his name or just another name for him... a nickname? *ponders* I think that is where the confusing is coming from now. ;)

Naonak
April 14th, 2008, 04:47 AM
They do have original names. It's constantly stated that the Doctor's name is a secret, but in The Armageddon Factor, the Doctor's name is mentioned as being Theta-Sigma. Plus, Romana was simply Romana's name. Then there was Rassilon...

Was it in The Armageddon Factor? I thought something was mentioned way back, which is why I was confused about this name thing still being an issue. I couldn't remember where or when. Was it really his name or just another name for him... a nickname? *ponders* I think that is where the confusing is coming from now. ;)
According to my research :p, the Doctor tells someone in 'The Happiness Patrol' that "Theta-Sigma" was just a nickname when he was at the academy...

Flyboy
April 14th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Considering Theta means death.... that's SOME nickname...

I sense the Doctor was a rogue in the academy...

Naonak
April 14th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Considering Theta means death.... that's SOME nickname...

I sense the Doctor was a rogue in the academy...
What, in contrast with his usual conformism? :p

Flyboy
April 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Yeah, but I mean rogue and not... class clown... I don't know why but I can see him being a bit.... I dunno... anti-social and dangerous. Not in a nice way...

Willow'sCat
April 14th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah, but I mean rogue and not... class clown... I don't know why but I can see him being a bit.... I dunno... anti-social and dangerous. Not in a nice way...I don't think being anti-social is a bad thing. Not when you look at Gallifrey's society. They may have seen him as dangerous, but what's new, often authority sees those out to change the status quo as dangerous... it is that whole not wanting to lose the good thing they have eg: POWER. :cool:

Flyboy
April 15th, 2008, 03:15 AM
You're missing my point... entirely because I'm doing a poor job of making it.

If the Doctor recieved the nickname Theta Sigma at the academy, then most likely, it was his friends and classmates that gave him the name... why would this be? What did the Doctor do thast made people regard him as the sum of death? It strikes me during his school years he must have been involved in something dangerous. Something that got people hurt...

Madeleine
April 15th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Theta and Sigma are both letters in the Greek alphabet.

I never heard of Theta meaning Death - where does that come from?

Naonak
April 16th, 2008, 05:51 AM

It was sometimes used in ancient Greece as an abbreviation for the word for death... thanatos, I think...

Flyboy
April 17th, 2008, 06:08 AM

Indeed, but much like Alpha meaning Beginning and Omega meaning End, Theta means death. I'm not entirely sure what Sigma means, that doesn't seem to be as clear... In mathematics I think it means sum of, but I don't know...

Madeleine
April 17th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I reckon they just thought it sounded better than other greek letter pairs... Pi Beta or Mu Nu would have been slightly naff even in the seventies :p

Alipeeps
April 18th, 2008, 05:18 PM

I actually read a not bad 10th Doctor / Firefly crossover fanfic not long ago... it's on ffnet and it's called The Man With No Name (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3486089/1/). :D

huntress
April 19th, 2008, 12:23 PM
So...in other words we have only a lot of speculations but no definite answer if the doctor has ay name or not...I think I can live with that. Maybe someday they will reveal it....maybe even some day soon since it was mentioned in "The Fires of of Pompeii"

mizzoueng
June 30th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I am just getting into the show now, but I am hooked! Luckily my DVR is searching the channels, recording every episode that is on.

One thing that is puzzling me now though, is the white badge that he uses. He just says he is with something and shows them the blank badge, is it supposed to look just like it when others look at it?

Oh, and the TARDIS, was it explained why it is stuck in the shape of a police box? Was he in 1950's London and somehow the TARDIS got damaged from either landing or maybe being shot at?

Naonak
June 30th, 2008, 08:23 AM
One thing that is puzzling me now though, is the white badge that he uses. He just says he is with something and shows them the blank badge, is it supposed to look just like it when others look at it?
That would be the "pyschic paper". It is, technically, a blank bit of paper, but it taps into the mind of whoever's being shown it and makes them see it as what the Doctor wants - identification, security passes, etc.

Oh, and the TARDIS, was it explained why it is stuck in the shape of a police box? Was he in 1950's London and somehow the TARDIS got damaged from either landing or maybe being shot at?
TARDISes have a "chameleon circuit" which means they can change their outside shape to fit into the local environment. At some point, that of the Doctor's TARDIS broke, fixing it into the shape of a police box. He's just never gotten around to fixing it properly, although he's tried once or twice.

Hopefully that all made sense, and welcome to Whodom. :)

mizzoueng
June 30th, 2008, 01:15 PM
That would be the "pyschic paper". It is, technically, a blank bit of paper, but it taps into the mind of whoever's being shown it and makes them see it as what the Doctor wants - identification, security passes, etc.

TARDISes have a "chameleon circuit" which means they can change their outside shape to fit into the local environment. At some point, that of the Doctor's TARDIS broke, fixing it into the shape of a police box. He's just never gotten around to fixing it properly, although he's tried once or twice.

Hopefully that all made sense, and welcome to Whodom. :)

Yeah, that makes a little sense. I'd still like to know when his circuit broke. From the wiki I see the TARDIS has always looked like a police box, so it broke sometime before the series began. I wonder what the TARDIS really looks like?

Anyways, love the show and just watched the episodes "impossible Planet" and "Satan Pit" gotta say I was loving them. This season has been pretty good, but I really don't like Donna.

Pitry
June 30th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah, that makes a little sense. I'd still like to know when his circuit broke. From the wiki I see the TARDIS has always looked like a police box, so it broke sometime before the series began. I wonder what the TARDIS really looks like?

An Unearthly Child, episode 1, back in 1963. In the beginning of the episode the Doctor and his granddaughter Susan put the Tardis in a junkyard or some such, and it automatically disguised itself as a Police Box. At the end of the episode the Doctor takes Susan (and kidnaps her two teachers, Ian and Barbara) to the stone age, but then the circuit breaks and the Tardis stays a Police Box instead of turning into something else.
(Following is 20 minutes of cavemen arguing about lighting fire...)

Earthgate Ricky
September 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Toss David Tennant out of TARDIS!

I want to nominate David Hewlett and Paul McGillion for next Doctor Who.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh88/QuiltRicky18/DPnDW.jpg

igor108367
October 12th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Doctor Who is one of the rear reall Sci-Fi shows on TV today with lots of spcial effects and technology, spacehips and aliens and ... Primeval and Eureka and Tourchwood also are good sci-fi shows. The rest are just trillers with some limse of sci-fi and now by the look of it they are loosing ratings. Heroes, TSCC and others that only tried to appeal to the sci-fi audience are probably going to be canceled. MAybe TV will try to make true Sci-Fi shows again.

pbellosom
October 22nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Doctor Who is one of the rear reall Sci-Fi shows on TV today with lots of spcial effects and technology, spacehips and aliens and ... Primeval and Eureka and Tourchwood also are good sci-fi shows. The rest are just trillers with some limse of sci-fi and now by the look of it they are loosing ratings. Heroes, TSCC and others that only tried to appeal to the sci-fi audience are probably going to be canceled. MAybe TV will try to make true Sci-Fi shows again.

Wait hang on, you're saying that the shows that appeal to the Sci-Fi audience will be cancelled and then they'll make proper Sci-Fi again? that makes no sense!

I wonder what the TARDIS really looks like?

Doesn't RTD say that the coral in Jack's office is a new TARDIS being grown? If so that's probably what it looks like. I wonder what happens to it in between now and when he becomes the Face of Boe....

I actually read a not bad 10th Doctor / Firefly crossover fanfic not long ago... it's on ffnet and it's called The Man With No Name (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3486089/1/). :D

Actually I read that when you first posted it and then completely forgot to thank you for it, have a very belated thanks!

huntress
January 10th, 2009, 03:46 AM
My thoughts go often back to the Meta-Crisis doctor and how he was created. He regenerated from the severed hand and from Donna's DNA. Donna became DonnaDoctor and the Doctor in a way became a DoctorDonna. What do you think would happen if a time lord regenerates close to someone who is mortally wounded. Would that person also heal and regenerate and if so would the mix up of the two people be even more severe then in the case of Donna and the doctor? What do you think? Also,w hat would have happened to Rose if she had not backed up from the dying doctor? Would the result have been like a meta-crisis?

Alan Wake
June 28th, 2009, 02:46 AM
This series/show is so confusing. I've tried reading up on it, and I'm a little lost :o

26 seasons eh? holy cow.

I guess maybe British shows just aren't my cup of tea... I've tried watching Primeval/the office too, and have since failed on that quest.

gateship15
June 29th, 2009, 05:04 AM
i don't find it confusing at all i don't know why but i can read about past episodes as well as the past of the series and not get confused at all.

Jax
June 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM
This series/show is so confusing. I've tried reading up on it, and I'm a little lost :o

26 seasons eh? holy cow.

I guess maybe British shows just aren't my cup of tea... I've tried watching Primeval/the office too, and have since failed on that quest.

That's always a possibility.

However trust me, it's not as complicated as it first sounds largely for the following reasons.

1) The show is designed to be as easily accessible as possible. You can jump right in and anything you need to know will likely have some exposition (thanks to a new companion who will need things explaining to them).

2) While individual stories have varying layers of depth, the series itself is largely episodic in nature (though their are subplots per season that build up to the season finale).

The best way to approach Doctor Who is to see it as an anthology series, like the Twilight Zone and Outer Limits. Episodes can vary from full on farce (not my cup of tea and luckily not all that numeorus), to horror, to deep drama and to Stargate esq humans vs aliens.

You can start with the new series and not have to know one ounce of it's past.

Zarius
July 27th, 2009, 11:47 PM
So...in other words we have only a lot of speculations but no definite answer if the doctor has ay name or not...I think I can live with that. Maybe someday they will reveal it....maybe even some day soon since it was mentioned in "The Fires of of Pompeii"

No, it wasnt. When The Doctor traveled to The Medusa Cascade, his true self was revealed as a manipulator who fashions people into weapons. It was a METAPHORE.

26 seasons eh? holy cow.

Primeval is ten times more accessible than the later seasons of SG-1.

Pharaoh Atem
May 2nd, 2010, 09:39 PM
instead of making a new thread i guess i'll use this thread.

question can someone tell me or find me a link where i can buy a copy of the 1996 movie? it featured the 8th doctor :)

any help would be appreciated

Blencathra
May 3rd, 2010, 03:54 AM
This one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Movie-Paul-McGann/dp/B00005KB4D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1272884002&sr=1-1

But that's a UK link. Do you have a multi-regional DVD player?

Pharaoh Atem
May 3rd, 2010, 10:24 AM
This one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Movie-Paul-McGann/dp/B00005KB4D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1272884002&sr=1-1

But that's a UK link. Do you have a multi-regional DVD player?

no i don't :( and from what i've read there's never been a region 1 release :( this sucks

thanks for the help :(

P-90_177
May 3rd, 2010, 01:05 PM
no i don't :( and from what i've read there's never been a region 1 release :( this sucks

From what I've read there's not one planned either. Your best bet really is to find out how to reset your dvd player to a non-region specific setting and then buy the region 2 dvd.

Keep in mind that the movie was made in cooperation between the BBC and Fox. So the licensing is a pain in itself. Chances are there's some clause in the contract somewhere saying that while BBC has the rights to reproduce the movie in Britain, Fox has to do it in America or something daft.

Billz
May 6th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Download VLC.

It basically turns your PC DVD drive into a multiregion DVD player. :)