This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ship on Atlantis? (spoilers)

I'm a bit confused about the issue of ship on Atlantis. When the character descriptions were first released, it was implied that there would be a building romance between Sheppard and Teyla. This implication was played up in the Lowdown, with lots of meaningful looks exchanged between the two characters and the whole donning of the necklace thing, too.

And yet... TPTB have (recently) started saying that they aren't planning to "add" ship to Atlantis because the issue has become so tense in SG-1 fandom.

So are we just supposed to ignore the "moments" between Teyla and Sheppard? Are they gonna be filtered out, eventually? Or do they mean that they aren't adding anything more than what's already there? Because I'm sorry, but if there's "something" there now, there will ALWAYS be "something" there no matter how hard you try to pretend it doesn't exist.

I, for one, hope there is NO SHIP whatsoever. Ship helped to ruin SG-1 for me and I'm sorry, but while some people might enjoy that sort of thing, I want to watch Stargate (be it SG-1 or Atlantis) for the PLOT, not the romance! I know that I really have to see the show before I can decide one way or another, but if ship has been built in to the characters right from the start, I'm not exactly being given any choice in the matter, am I? Shouldn't they wait to see if the two characters have any natural chemistry, first? Ship for ship's sake is, IMO, utterly pointless. And for pity's sake, does it always have to be such a cliched pairing?

I can also tell from the pics that there is something going on between Weir and Robert Patrick's character. Excuse me while I roll my eyes at THAT, too.

Bah. Whatever. The only ship on Atlantis I'm gonna support is between McKay and Princess Bloodfang. And that's a hopeless tragedy just waiting to happen, so no worries there. hehe

I'm with you. The only ships I want are the kind that fly around in outer space. I'm worried after watching the Lowdown thing too, it's scary, hopefully it will be like respect and friendSHIP and not, "give it to me".
    It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

You only don't like McKay cause he wastes Luke's time!

I too hope there is no Ship. Plus that Tayla chick isn't even that hot.

What is TPTB?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
        What is TPTB?
        TPTB- The Powers That Be, AKA the producers/writers of the show.

And I love McKay to pieces. It's a bit ironic that two of my fave characters are mortal enemies. Typical, but ironic. The thing with Princess Bloodfang could never work, of course. They come from different worlds- literally- and he could never learn to respect her differences. Still, she might be a good source of info on the Wraith. Although introducing a Wraith turncoat would have to wait a while. Maybe the finale, maybe next season...

Comment

I agree with you ShadowMaat... I can't stand ship, and the only ones I want to see are flying through space.

I hope they don't turn Sheppard into Stargate's version of Kirk, hooking up with alien babes with green skin. I don't mind romance in science-fiction, but to drag something on and on like O'Neill and Carter in SG-1 and the fans obsessing over every little detail like "ooh, did you see how Jack looked at Sam in episode 5-04.92/1002 when she picked up that jello?" Stuff like that just sh!ts me off to no end and doesn't let the fans look past that and see the overall quality of television in front of them.

I won't mind if Sheppard and Teyla hook up in Atlantis, but if it's going to be constantly teased and dragged out like SG-1, then I say bugger the show already. As for whoever said that Teyla doesn't look hot, obviously you didn't watch either the DVD preview or The Lowdown cause she was looking slamming in those!
          "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

Originally posted by Positively Kanyon
            As for whoever said that Teyla doesn't look hot, obviously you didn't watch either the DVD preview or The Lowdown cause she was looking slamming in those!
            Different people, different tastes. I didn't find her particularly attractive, but I didn't think she was ugly, either. My honest opinion was, "Oh, she's the Sexy Alien Babe". I'm sure the actress has talent (and if she's any good with her fighting sticks, double kudos to her), but her being "hot" probably helps... a lot. Especially if they wanna set up ship, 'cause everyone knows men can't be attracted to "ordinary" women.

Comment

I think the script for the pilot was completed some time ago (probably last fall when they were casting) and was written to be a little "shippy" for Sheppard/Teyla.

Perhaps they came back to the studio in January-February to prepare for shooting to begin on Atlantis in March and were suddenly deluged with the negative fallout from the Pete situation. Might have been too late to change much for the pilot but maybe they were persuaded to put any Sheppard/Teyla ship on the back burner in later episodes they were writing. If they never mention it again, many people *will* forget about it. Not you of course, but many people. Janeway and Chakotay were quite the item in a couple of episodes of Voyager but that disappeared pretty quickly!

I think it would be wise to just let the Atlantis characters develop naturally and see how things go. I'm not *totally* opposed to some subtle UST, as long as the characters have chemistry and it doesn't become the focus of the story, but I sure don't think it's necessary to have a successful show. SG-1 did just fine without it for several seasons.

I love McKay but I'm a little worried that he might turn into the Harper of the Pegasus galaxy (Harper of season 2.5 on). As long as they develop his character in other areas he'll be fine but I cringed a little when I read where David Hewlett said McKay thinks of the Pegasus galaxy as his personal singles bar.

By the way, Gateworld has a question up in the "Letters to the Editor" section soliciting opinions on "ship" in scifi. How can you resist??

http://www.gateworld.net/fandom/letters_submit.shtml
              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Actually, I'm not big on letter-writing. If I want to sound off about something, I'll do it here where I can get feedback and interact with people instantly rather than just some one-off letter which may or may not get published (although if David's in charge, it just might ).

And while you may not believe it, if TPTB chose to drop ship entirely from Atlantis and never mentioned it again, I would be quite happy to play along and forget about it myself.

As for McKay... yeah, the singles bar thing is a little worrisome, although I can imagine McKay as having just that mentality. All those "exotic" women who've never seen him or any other "Earth men" before. And after all, they're only primitive aliens...

Comment

I thought you'd love to be published! You'd write a great letter and David would *have* to pick it.

Back to topic. I thought of another reason for the change. Perhaps after seeing the pilot TPTB realized they didn't like the chemistry between Sheppard and Teyla after all and are using the fandom shipper flap as an excuse to back off from that particular ship.

That's of course total speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me that much. I would think chemistry is sometimes hard to predict, even after seeing the actors in auditions.
                  Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Well from a *Shipper* POV I can tell you that I *personally* never went into SG LOOKING for romance and was just pleasently surprise by the subtle UST and enjoyed the romance over the years. Since TPTB put it out there for the fans who wished to see it I was happy with it.

What they have done now, with the Pete storyline and all the changing of the *Party Lines* well I have to say even if they DO have ship in Atlantis I personally won't be supporting it. They can't seem to find a way to keep it in the background and keep things on an even keel.
                    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Okay. My point is messed up.

In my opinion, SciFi will keep Stargate as long as there are enough people watching it and the fact that it gets good ratings. I know people who just watch Stargate for those subtle romance moments and character relations. (Sad, however those people maybe, but those still count towards the number of people who watch stargate).

I want to see Stargate SG-1 Season 28, Stargate SG-A Season 20 and Wormhole Extreme Season 3 in the future. If it makes Stargate for successful and makes it last longer, then I am opt for it.

Currently, I am at odds with friends who insist that Charmed is better. Currently, Stargate has everything that Charmed has (romance..hot girls..hot boys..supernatural..interesting plots..character sacrifices..etc.) If romance is taken away, then Stargate will be no better than an Action-Flick + Intellectual-Delight... how bout that Subtle Romances?

We need more females to watch the show. We need Stargate to live Forever. We need to worship Stargate.

Stargate: Fans KREE!!!!!

*everyone bows* *those who did not bow are distengrated by the Whoosh!*

Comment

Originally posted by Calicto
                        We need more females to watch the show. We need Stargate to live Forever. We need to worship Stargate.
                        Uhh... a majority of Stargate's fandom is already female. While I know that there are some male shippers, a majority of the ones who want to see the various characters "hook up" are likewise female. More women watching will probably mean more fans clamoring for ship.

What's so bad about having an intellectually dramatic action adventure series? WHY does there have to be "ship" in order for some mindsets to consider a show good? It's possible to have a high quality, emotionally rich show with complex storylines and engaging characters and NO SHIP. And that is what I'd like to see for Atlantis: Excellent storylines, multi-faceted characters, some good humor and NO SHIP. It isn't needed and if it HAS to happen, at least let it develop naturally. I don't want it shoved down our throats right from Day 1 that Characters A and B are Made For Each Other. And entire series worth of moopy expressions and "will they/won't they" BS is really NOT why I plan to tune in to the show. And if that's what happens I shall be severely displeased.

Consider yourselves duly warned.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          I'm a bit confused about the issue of ship on Atlantis. When the character descriptions were first released, it was implied that there would be a building romance between Sheppard and Teyla. This implication was played up in the Lowdown, with lots of meaningful looks exchanged between the two characters and the whole donning of the necklace thing, too.
                          I briefly read the character bio when they first came out, but I can't recall seeing any implied 'ship whatsoever. As for Lowdown, if it weren't for the actress (who plays Teyla) going on and on about "connection" I wouldn't have thought of 'ship, either. I certainly didn't see any vibes from "Sheppard," and the donning of necklace could be just a gesture of friendship between two people.

And yet... TPTB have (recently) started saying that they aren't planning to "add" ship to Atlantis because the issue has become so tense in SG-1 fandom.
                          Personally, I think the fandom will be just fine if TPTB stops vacillating so much on the 'ship they already have (or not have, depending on one's interpretation). A lot of people will be happy either way so long as it's well done. I know I'll be happier if TPTB cease to think in terms of 'ship, or the lack thereof, and just focus on telling a good story.

Guess I too am confused, and more than a little worried.
                          In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Liebestraume
                            I know I'll be happier if TPTB cease to think in terms of 'ship, or the lack thereof, and just focus on telling a good story.
                            Amen! But at this point, do you think that's even possible?

Whoops, I'm supposed to try and be positive about Atlantis, right? Guess I'll go off and dwell on McKay/Princess Bloodfang ship.

Comment

But at this point, do you think that's even possible?
                              There is still hope. ~ Arwen, LOTR
                              In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                              X