This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galactic Civilizations [PC game]

Who here has played Galactic Civilizations? ^^ For anyone who doesn't know, Galactic Civilizations is a 4X turn-based strategy game made by a group called Stardock. Very fun game, indeed. It came out around the time of Master of Orion III and ended up, despite having a far lower budget, surpassing it in sales.

The backstory states that five alien races constructed a system of enormous Star Gates [no, not THOSE Stargates ], massive structures which folded space to bridge the distances between it and another Star Gate. This tiny network was the only faster than light capability developed, and cost far too much to operate regularly. Thus contact and trade was limited, and there was no chance of ever reaching a political understanding. Eventually, one of these five races -- the Arceans -- made accidental contact with a United Earth via deep space probe. At some point, the Arceans gave the Earth the technology necessary to construct a Star Gate of their own so they could become part of the system. The Arceans also supply Earth with various information about the other races -- the Drengin, Yor, Torians, and Altarians -- as well as the mysterious Precursors.

However, the Terrans weren't content with operating a power-guzzling, economy-draining gate that would greatly limit contact and sought to improve upon it. Reckless and ambitious, the humans managed to create a far more efficient form of the technology -- hyper-drive. With incredible naivete, the design for hyper-drive was sent to the other five races in the belief that any sufficiently advanced race would need to be benevolent and peaceful lest they'd have destroyed themselves. And then all contact is lost, and a race to colonize the galaxy begins.

The creator of the story -- I can't recall his actual name, so let's just call him "Frogboy" -- actually intended, and still intends sometime, to write a series of books based on it. He's the founder of Stardock, I believe, and started making games on the OS/2 operating system. He also writes the AI for the games, and they are quite good compared to many other games.

Galactic Civilizations has a single expansion pack thus far called "Altarian Prophecy" and they're working on a sequel, "Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords". Altarian Prophecy introduced two new races -- the Korx and the Drath -- to the story and Dread Lords will introduce another two -- the Iconians and the Thalan. Stardock is also thinking of continuing the creation of expansions for the first GalCiv even after the second's release.

...and that post...was a lot larger than I originally intended it to be. oo So, yes. Has anyone played this game? Is anyone interested? Any discussion topics with which I'm too tired to think of right now?
    Old McNeill had a base, SG SG-1. And on that base he had a Ba'al, SG SG-1. With a Ba'al, Ba'al here and a Ba'al, Ba'al there, here a Ba'al there a Ba'al, everywhere a Ba'al Ba'al. Old McNeill had a base, SG SG-1!
    [Don't ask. Please.]

I played this game, mostly because I´d been let down by MOOIII. It was ok but lacked a few things I felt were very important, the most glaring being unable to design ones spaceships (at least I think that was this game, I´ve played many 4x games and might be confusing them). Also I felt the planet management wasn´t very exciting.

Still, this was a good game and I had fun playing it. I think I read somewhere that they are going to address the problems I mentioned in the new game so here´s hoping it will turn out well. Just hope the game doesn´t come out at the same time as Civ4 cause it wouldn´t stand a chance

Comment

Yep! Planet management is getting an overhaul in Dread Lords, and there's going to be ship design, at last. And from what I've seen, it's quite good. It's not coming out until sometime next year, though, so thankfully it won't have to contend with CivIV. They've been in Beta for nine months or so, I think...perhaps longer, and won't be entering the final phase for a fair bit. Yeah, I've been keeping track of the whole thing.

Speaking of which -- you didn't get the expansion pack, Altarian Prophecy, did you?
      Old McNeill had a base, SG SG-1. And on that base he had a Ba'al, SG SG-1. With a Ba'al, Ba'al here and a Ba'al, Ba'al there, here a Ba'al there a Ba'al, everywhere a Ba'al Ba'al. Old McNeill had a base, SG SG-1!
      [Don't ask. Please.]

Comment

No, I never noticed it coming out plus I rarely buy expansion packs. Perhaps I should have as good turn based games are so few and far between.

It somehow feels to me like the whole turn-based genre is getting smaller and smaller with each year. Used to be plenty of good games coming out and being popular, now your lucky if there is even one per year

Comment

Working...
        X