PDA

View Full Version : Supernatural : General Discussion/Appreciation (Spoiler Tags req for S15)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Jeffer
September 20th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Did anyone else watch the premiere of this show tonight it was pretty good. I think it has potential

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 20th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Nope, I haven't watched a lot of TV today! :eek:

ShadowMaat
September 20th, 2005, 06:25 PM
I like it. Not the most brilliantly original thing ever and it'll be interesting to see how if fares/compares to Night Stalker, but it has a good sense of mood to it and manages to be good in spite of having John Shiban on staff. :P

I hope Jared wossname loses the attitude, though, that'll get old fast and the actor simply isn't up to handling an emotionally troubled character, IMO.

The other brother is very good eye candy and has lots of snark, two of my main requirements to catch my attention. :D He has a bit more shading, character-wise, although I can see how he might wear on the nerves after a while, too.

Supernatural makes me think "Frailty meets Constantine". Dad raises his kids to fight monsters, except this time the monsters are real and they're mostly not human.

It remains to be seen if this can last the long haul, but I'll probably watch while it lasts. :)

The scenery in tonight's ep looked familiar. I've seen that mountain somewhere before. And I couldn't help thinking that the kids shouldn't be wandering off into the woods with a Cylon. :D

They never explained the whole "tracks suddenly disappearing" thing, unless that was supposed to be part of the ruse.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 20th, 2005, 06:28 PM
What did it get in it's premiere? 6 million viewers. Even with those ratings I still wouldn't watch it.

Jeffer
September 20th, 2005, 06:39 PM
not sure the premiere was tonight so the ratings wouldn't be up yet. yeah its not really original i remember three or four shows that were on the same wave and they didn't pan out. I like why there fighting tho like the one guy is fighting for love and the other brother is there because its what he does "Frailty" was a great movie

I remeber one show where there was a police station that policed Supernatural beings

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 20th, 2005, 06:49 PM
"Frailty" was a great movie
What's Frailty about?

Jeffer
September 20th, 2005, 06:58 PM
A man confesses to an FBI agent his family's story of how his religious fanatic father's visions lead to a series of murders to destroy supposed "demons." its a really good movie because you spend the whole time wondering if its real or if the fater went nuts i would suggets renting it

Elwe Singollo
September 20th, 2005, 08:54 PM
From zap2it.com:

The series premiere of "Bones" got FOX off to a healthy start at 8 p.m. with a 6.6/11. An "NCIS" rerun on CBS was second at 5.9/10, beating the season opener of "The Biggest Loser," 5.0/8, on NBC. "Gilmore Girls" returned with a 4.0/7 for The WB, which beat reruns of "According to Jim" and "Rodney" on ABC. UPN went with repeats of "Girlfriends" and "Half & Half."

"House" built on FOX's lead at 9 p.m., scoring a 9.8/15 -- the night's best rating. CBS stayed in second with "Big Brother 6." The final half-hour of "The Biggest Loser" improved to 5.9/9, but its lead-out, "Tommy Lee Goes to College," came in at only 3.3/5, giving NBC a 4.6/7 for the hour. The premiere of "Supernatural" averaged 3.5/5 for The WB, just beating the World Music Awards, 3.4/5, on ABC. UPN's "R U the Girl" was sixth.

These ratings are the premiere ratings for the series premiere (second paragraph). I included what the previous hour got to show how much viewers stayed after watching Gilmore Girls.

Naeara
September 20th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I feel pretty much the same as you, ShadowMaat. I'm not sure how well they'll keep the story going but I like the brothers and there's good tension. It's my favourite so far of the new sci-fi shows.

yaaayoubetcha
September 21st, 2005, 08:41 AM
i like it so far, but has there been two eps or 3?

i ask only because i'm a bit confused by the event with the girlfriend at the beginning of last night's ep...

ShadowMaat
September 21st, 2005, 09:02 AM
i like it so far, but has there been two eps or 3?

i ask only because i'm a bit confused by the event with the girlfriend at the beginning of last night's ep...
The thing with the girlfriend happened at the very end of the pilot ep. Boy goes home, calls out to girlfriend, who doesn't answer. Boy eats a cookie from plate girl left for him, wanders into his room and collapses on the bed. Drip, drip. He looks up to see his dead girlfriend plastered to the ceiling. He screams. The room bursts into flames.

I assume that was a direct echo of the opening few minutes of the show with Mom & Dad, although I missed that. *grumble*

Windigo was ep 2.

AshViper
September 21st, 2005, 10:46 AM
Is it normal that I think I'm addicted to the show after only two episodes?

Jonisa
October 4th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Is it normal that I think I'm addicted to the show after only two episodes?

I hope not, because then I'm in trouble.:)

I'm loving this show. I love the relationship between the two leads, a mix of brotherly banter combined with some angst for both of them. I like the "Buffy-esque" matter-of-factness both characters have with these creepy creatures they meet. They've grown up with this and are familiar with these types of things. I like the mix of the older brother who's seen the death of the mother, idolizes his father and is driven in the same way juxtaposed against the younger brother who doesn't remember any of this and is decidedly ambivalent about the whole thing. He loves his brother and Dad and wants to support them, yet also wants to live his own life.

I like the mystery about why the women in their family seem to end up with decidedly creepy deaths. Does this thing that attacked the boys' mother and Sam's girlfriend have some kind of connection to the family? To Sam himself? After all, both times he was lying in bed with poor Mommy or girlfriend plastered to the wall. I hope they delve into this more, as well as what has happened to the father.

Of all the genre-type shows this year, this is the one I've enjoyed most, Threshold probably second.

Also, as far as ratings go, for the WB, they're pretty good. WB and UPN don't compete on the same scale as the others. It has good retention rates from The Gilmore Girls, too, so there's hope for the show.:D

LtColCarter
October 4th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Well, I'm enjoying the show. Of course, very little scares me now days...that comes from almost 35 years of loving horror and sci-fi shows. I do love Supernatural!:cool:

Naeara
October 4th, 2005, 08:55 PM
I'm really enjoying this show as well. I thought tonight's ep was a little too Final Destination but the relationship between the brothers is still worth watching.

MarshAngel
October 5th, 2005, 04:28 AM
I'm really enjoying this show as well. I thought tonight's ep was a little too Final Destination but the relationship between the brothers is still worth watching.
It's really odd how people tend to think alike everywhere. I was thinking the exact same thing. Very Final Destination. I have to say though, Jensen Ackles playes 'scared' very well during the whole "we almost crashed" scene. He had this look on his face near the end like: I hope no one noticed I crapped my pants .

It appears the general consensus is that this is the best of the new scifi series. It's certainly the most exciting one with a future.

Arative
October 5th, 2005, 07:23 AM
I like the show so far. I really like how they are using myth and folklore to bring into stories.

ShadowMaat
October 5th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Well, it isn't all that surprising that parallels are drawn to Final Destination. While there are lots of movies about plane crashes, I don't think there are very many wherein "something" stalks the survivors to make sure they die, too.

I also doubt it's a coincidence that FD was produced by Morgan & Wong, who at one time worked with Shiban on X-Files. What a squirrel.

Still, it managed to stay interesting in spite of the rip off/homage/complete and utter coincidence (*gasp!* "Did Glen and Jim make a movie like that?? Wow, I had NO idea!"), and I think I'll be watching it for a while longer. As long as they keep Angsty Boy's moodiness toned down and concentrate more on the Snarky Boy. :D

LtColCarter
October 7th, 2005, 07:12 AM
I'm surprised that no one pointed out the episode about the ghost/dead boy in the lake was similar to a 2nd season Charmed episode. The one where the girls have to battle a water demon who is killing people at a lake camp.;)

I'm loving this show...not to mention the interaction between the brothers. I like the banter between them!:cool:

ShadowMaat
October 7th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Dunno about anyone else, but I didn't mention the similarity to Charmed because I hate that show with a passion and haven't seen the ep in question. :)

Supernatural keeps drawing me in. And it's a heckuva lot better than Night Stalker, IMO. Which still boggles me, since I would have said Spotsy was the lesser of two evils.

Jonisa
October 8th, 2005, 02:50 AM
As long as they keep Angsty Boy's moodiness toned down and concentrate more on the Snarky Boy. :D

Awww, I like Angsty Boy and his...er...angst, as long as they keep it right where it is. Even myself, a Card-Carrying Member of AngstLovers Extraordinaire, prefers the heavy duty stuff in fanfic, where I can avoid it. :D

Besides, we need his angst to give Snarky Boy something to play against. Right now I like both of them. They're both unique enough and have enough backstory to have both my sympathy and interest.

One other thing I realized I really like about the two of them. I like the distinction they've drawn between the two brothers. The older one remembers their mother, and the younger brother doesn't have that special memory. But at the same time, the older brother remembers her death, as well. And that puts a burden on him that his brother has been spared.

And having never seen an episode of Charmed, I also wasn't able to note the similarity. :p

Blue Banrigh
October 9th, 2005, 10:12 PM
I've watched the first two episodes and it ain't half bad. I like the bantering and arguing between the brothers. In the first ep when he pushes his brother out of the way so he can type, my sister does the exact same thing to me (damn the rolly desk chairs).

Not sure if I can judge it on just the first two eps, but it seems like the monsters are dealt with a bit too easily.

But it's a fun show to watch in the dark at 1am.

LtColCarter
October 10th, 2005, 07:56 AM
I'm lookin' forward to tomorrow night's episode with Bloody Mary! :-) I wonder how that one will go! ;-)

Too bad Shadowmat doesn't like Charmed. It is in its 8th season now, and still pulling in the ratings for the WB. ;-)

Anyway...I'm happy with all of the sci-fi/paranormal shows that are on now! I actually have something to watch on TV everynight except Thursday and Saturday! So, that's not too bad, huh?:D

LtColCarter
October 11th, 2005, 09:59 AM
...but it seems like the monsters are dealt with a bit too easily.

Now...I 100% agree with this. The monsters don't seem all that difficult to do away with.

Jeffer
October 11th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Bloddy Mary was a good ep taking an OLD OLD myth into a show and she wasn't going down that esily but they can't make em to hard to take down unless its a 2parter and its to early in the series to do one

Kensterman
October 11th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Show is okay so far -- I've been following it from the beginning. Nothing really new in concept though, but as long as they can come up with new plots(or recycling of plots from other same types of show), it keep the interest of many. I wonder though will they ever find the father -- well, probably in the final episode before they retire the show.

Elwe Singollo
October 11th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Show is okay so far -- I've been following it from the beginning. Nothing really new in concept though, but as long as they can come up with new plots(or recycling of plots from other same types of show), it keep the interest of many. I wonder though will they ever find the father -- well, probably in the final episode before they retire the show.I agree, i can predict that each episode will pretty much be similar to other previous scifi shows, making me turned off to watch.

Lightsabre
October 11th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I like the show.
I like Charmed too,tho I'm getting a little cheesed off with it(Did they have to take Leo's powers? The guy is raising the Uber witch and he can't do squat).
I think Supernatural can last the distance, if they get enough hooks. At the moment, there's only the underlying need to 'find dad'. They need a few other A storylines to add to monster of the week.
As to the monsters being too easy to kill, killing them isn't supposed to be the problem. It's ID'ing them and knowing their weaknesses.
That's always the thing with mythology and folklore, whatever goes 'bump' in the night can be killed, you just ahve to know how.

Elwe Singollo
October 11th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Imo, this show is for pure eye candy for the girls. Did you see the episode with the exorcism in the airplane? At the beginning of the episode where they are pan shooting Jensen A. sleeping? Was that really necessary (dont answer if u thought so haha)?

TheObiJuan
October 11th, 2005, 10:08 PM
I like tonights episode.
The show is eyecandy for guys too, the girls, and there is always a 'girl' in an episode, was hot!

ShadowMaat
October 12th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Imo, this show is for pure eye candy for the girls. Did you see the episode with the exorcism in the airplane? At the beginning of the episode where they are pan shooting Jensen A. sleeping? Was that really necessary (dont answer if u thought so haha)?
I'm answering anyway. :D

The eye candy isn't my MAIN reason for watching, and actually I loathe Jared Padalecki so it's a half-and-half thing, but when the plot occasionally fails to live up to its possibilities, watching Jared can smoothe over the rough spots. And he's SNARKY! I'm a sucker for good snark.

yaaayoubetcha
October 12th, 2005, 04:07 AM
i'm actually liking the stories and sometimes even the dialogue.

we're not dealing with any DiNero's here, i know, but every now and then JA manages to pull of a line or two with a bit of panache.

as for the whole eye candy aspect...i can understand JA...he's the pretty boy...but the other guy...never really understood the slovenly as sexy look

twas nice to see amy acker a couple eps back though...mmmm amy acker...mmmmm

Kensterman
October 12th, 2005, 04:59 AM
What the heck was this week's episode?!?! It was so RING/RING2 like -- ah come on, that was kinda crummy and so unoriginal. Seriously, they better come up with more original/never been tried things than that!

MarshAngel
October 12th, 2005, 05:04 AM
What the heck was this week's episode?!?! It was so RING/RING2 like -- ah come on, that was kinda crummy and so unoriginal. Seriously, they better come up with more original/never been tried things than that!
Gotta agree with you there. It was all going fairly well until the ring chick started her shake and shimmy crawl. Is that going to be the new official ghost look now? All ghosts have nerve disorders, are eternally wet and slimy and have a penchant for crawling like an iguana?

They didn't even TRY to be original. If I'd been responsible I'd have made her a slow-spinning cyclone with dry hair.... just to be different

ShadowMaat
October 12th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Yeah, the Ring stuff was a bit... embarrassing, and less well-handled (IMO) than the Final Destination echoes from last week. I do like the plots and I think Supernatural is better than most of the other new scifi-y shows this season... but that isn't saying an awful lot. ;)

Kensterman
October 12th, 2005, 06:54 AM
I found it a complete turn off, but not like I"m going to stop watching -- seriously, they should have really put more thought into this episode and what people would think. Hey, maybe they'll even get sued for doing a copycat. True, these days, the girl from the Ring is making its way as the standard of scares. Girl with dark long hair covering the eyes, etc...don't they know that that was a thing of the past? Well, check out the new PC game coming up called F.E.A.R. Their ads are all over showing the Ring like girl as there main cover....you flip the pages of the magazine and there's one advertisement after the other were she moves closer to you <rolls eyes>.

Anyhow, that's my take for the day :)

I agree, ShadoMaat that it is at least one of the better new shows out this season.

LtColCarter
October 12th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Yeah, the Ring stuff was a bit... embarrassing, and less well-handled (IMO) than the Final Destination echoes from last week. I do like the plots and I think Supernatural is better than most of the other new scifi-y shows this season... but that isn't saying an awful lot. ;)

But at least we're getting sci-fiy shows this season. Its been a while since we've had some! ;)

ShadowMaat
October 12th, 2005, 02:00 PM
But at least we're getting sci-fiy shows this season. Its been a while since we've had some! ;)
I'd rather have one or two high-quality scifi shows than be flooded with a bunch of half-assed pseudo genre crap. But I'm weird that way. :)

Elwe Singollo
October 12th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Yeah, the Ring stuff was a bit... embarrassing, and less well-handled (IMO) than the Final Destination echoes from last week. I do like the plots and I think Supernatural is better than most of the other new scifi-y shows this season... but that isn't saying an awful lot. ;)Oh common, you dont think water alien creatures are an interesting plot?! (sacrasm greatly intended). I guess your right though, although im still having some problems getting over 'The Ring' stuff... :S im still very interested in who killed the mom and jess, and how practically almost all of the 'supernatural' things they come across talk about that (mom and jess).

LtColCarter
October 12th, 2005, 08:50 PM
I'd rather have one or two high-quality scifi shows than be flooded with a bunch of half-assed pseudo genre crap. But I'm weird that way. :)

True...but at times the show does have its redeeming qualities. ;) Not that they are sci-fi related. :p

LtColCarter
October 18th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Don't forget to watch it! :-) Its on tonight! :-D

ShadowMaat
October 18th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Leave it to Shiban to take a perfectly wonderful half-nekkid-and-sweaty moment and turn it into a complete squick-fest. :P

Interesting ep. The plots are a little too simple and too easily solved (a point that has already been made) but it still isn't too bad.

My one quibble with "Skin"... I know there aren't any hard and fast rules about it, but I find it a little hard to believe that the thing would shift BACK to being... er... er... Studboy. NotSam. You know who I mean. ANYWAY, I should think that shifting to a given person would be a one-time-only thing. And why stay in the form of someone who has already been arrested and risk muddying the situation (staying as... was it Zach? ...after Zach had been arrested). That HAS to be newsworthy stuff and someone might recognize him.

OK, maybe it's more than one thing. I'm also curious about this "psychic connection" BS. What purpose does knowing the minds of his targets serve? Other than blending in. It seems a little plot convenience-y. And if he was psychically connected, shouldn't he have known Studboy was coming? And how could be possibly store the memories of all those people in his head? Or does he just conveniently forget it all again?

Might have been more interesting to see the strain of it getting to him. Confronting Sam with stuff remembered from the Random Guy.

And speaking of Random Guy, is he still under arrest or what? Kinda rude to clear Zach's name but leave Random Guy swinging in the wind...

Huh. This is the kinda show that is a lot better if you don't think about it. At all. ;)

Jeffer
October 18th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I thought Skin was alright do you know what song that was when he was changing from Sam back into what ever it was

Naeara
October 18th, 2005, 09:39 PM
I thought Skin was alright do you know what song that was when he was changing from Sam back into what ever it was

I believe the song you're referring to is Filter's 'Hey Man, Nice Shot'.

ShadowMaat
October 19th, 2005, 03:42 AM
I believe the song you're referring to is Filter's 'Hey Man, Nice Shot'.
Yep. A song from the X-Files album. LOL!

Jeffer
October 19th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Leave it to Shiban to take a perfectly wonderful half-nekkid-and-sweaty moment and turn it into a complete squick-fest. :P

Interesting ep. The plots are a little too simple and too easily solved (a point that has already been made) but it still isn't too bad.

My one quibble with "Skin"... I know there aren't any hard and fast rules about it, but I find it a little hard to believe that the thing would shift BACK to being... er... er... Studboy. NotSam. You know who I mean. ANYWAY, I should think that shifting to a given person would be a one-time-only thing. And why stay in the form of someone who has already been arrested and risk muddying the situation (staying as... was it Zach? ...after Zach had been arrested). That HAS to be newsworthy stuff and someone might recognize him.

OK, maybe it's more than one thing. I'm also curious about this "psychic connection" BS. What purpose does knowing the minds of his targets serve? Other than blending in. It seems a little plot convenience-y. And if he was psychically connected, shouldn't he have known Studboy was coming? And how could be possibly store the memories of all those people in his head? Or does he just conveniently forget it all again?

Might have been more interesting to see the strain of it getting to him. Confronting Sam with stuff remembered from the Random Guy.

And speaking of Random Guy, is he still under arrest or what? Kinda rude to clear Zach's name but leave Random Guy swinging in the wind...

Huh. This is the kinda show that is a lot better if you don't think about it. At all. ;)
the "psychic connection" might be so that when he is torcuing the ppl it would seem like it was acually them. and so that if he had to impersinate the person and ppl asked him personal Qs he would be able to answer them. just like Sam did

LtColCarter
October 19th, 2005, 09:08 AM
the "psychic connection" might be so that when he is torcuing the ppl it would seem like it was acually them. and so that if he had to impersinate the person and ppl asked him personal Qs he would be able to answer them. just like Sam did

I tend to agree...however...when Sam asked the Deanelganger (doppelganger) the question...the Deanelganger didn't know the correct answer. That's why Sam pulled his gun on him. So, maybe it takes a while for the connection to form?

Jeffer
October 19th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I tend to agree...however...when Sam asked the Deanelganger (doppelganger) the question...the Deanelganger didn't know the correct answer. That's why Sam pulled his gun on him. So, maybe it takes a while for the connection to form?
i thought he pulled the gun on him because he used his left hand and Zach's left shoulder was hurt in the sewer

ShadowMaat
October 19th, 2005, 09:41 AM
I understand how the connection can be used to the doppel's advantage (blending in), I'm just not sure I understand why he has it. Genetically speaking. Maybe it's part and parcel of the chameleon effect, but it still seems a little too convenient to me.

Ya know, X-Files did this ep, too. Darin Morgan was a man who shifted to look like the husband/boyfriend/thunkable object of various women and impregnanted them. But he didn't have a "psychic connection", which is partly how he got caught out. It was kinda sad and funny at the same time. He didn't need any genetic sample to morph, either, 'cause one of the guys he pretended to be was Luke Skywalker. LOL!

Funny that it took me this long to recognize the connection. *frowns* I know the whole "nothing new under the sun" thing, but have there been ANY eps yet that haven't been an almost direct reference to something else? Final Destination, The Ring, Small Potatoes... c'mon. I'll grant, Small Potatoes was a different premise, somewhat, but women were the targets of both and men they loved were the agressors. Or so it appeared.

LtColCarter
October 19th, 2005, 09:43 AM
i thought he pulled the gun on him because he used his left hand and Zach's left shoulder was hurt in the sewer

Could be...I slept since then! ;)

Jeffer
October 19th, 2005, 02:12 PM
i'm sure once we get better Char development they will have better and more original story lines

like i can see some original story lines when they get deeper into what killed Sam's G/F and when they get more into the Farther thing

ShadowMaat
October 19th, 2005, 02:16 PM
How Sam knew it wasn't his brother: First, he asked him about a creature their dad had fought, mis-naming it. The doppel corrected him and gave details about what had happened. Sam tossed the keys to him and he caught them... with his left hand.

While the doppel was drooling over the goodies in the trunk, Sam pulled a gun on him.

Sam: You caught the keys with your left hand. You were injured!
Doppel: So I got better fast!

Or words to that effect.

I also would have liked to know WHY it did what it did. The targets were so specific. Unless we're supposed to take what he said to the girl as the actual answer. Not sure that's enough of an explanation, but whatever. ;)

LtColCarter
October 20th, 2005, 06:21 AM
How Sam knew it wasn't his brother: First, he asked him about a creature their dad had fought, mis-naming it. The doppel corrected him and gave details about what had happened. Sam tossed the keys to him and he caught them... with his left hand.

While the doppel was drooling over the goodies in the trunk, Sam pulled a gun on him.

Sam: You caught the keys with your left hand. You were injured!
Doppel: So I got better fast!

Or words to that effect.

I also would have liked to know WHY it did what it did. The targets were so specific. Unless we're supposed to take what he said to the girl as the actual answer. Not sure that's enough of an explanation, but whatever. ;)

Yes...now I remember! Just needed a bump to the head to remember!

Jeffer
October 25th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Tonights Ep was good so far a Little like "I know What You Did Last Summer"

but again another urban legand

next week looks original with Bugs attacking

ShadowMaat
October 25th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Ehhh.... I dunno. The show is beginning to bore me. Dean's a hottie and it's fun to watch him get all sweaty, but I'm not sure he's enough to keep me tuned in. I will, for now, but the show has been kinda underwhelming so far. Once the initial squee wears off, there's not much left to it. ;)

Jeffer
October 25th, 2005, 06:22 PM
yeah i agree with you they will have to come up with original stoy lines soon

But i will watch it till it goes off the air if it does

Elwe Singollo
October 25th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Tonights Ep was good so far a Little like "I know What You Did Last Summer"

but again another urban legand

next week looks original with Bugs attackingI thought the whole 'Aren't you glad you didnt turn on the light' (ok not what it said exactly) was a big unoriginal thing to do.

I was so not impressed, and it sucks especially for me (and other guys i guess, unless you are gay) because there is hardly any regular female eye candy to mend the pain. :( I/we have to deal with 'blonde' of the week. :(

LtColCarter
October 26th, 2005, 03:51 AM
I thought the whole 'Aren't you glad you didnt turn on the light' (ok not what it said exactly) was a big unoriginal thing to do.

I was so not impressed, and it sucks especially for me (and other guys i guess, unless you are gay) because there is hardly any regular female eye candy to mend the pain. :( I/we have to deal with 'blonde' of the week. :(

But...unlike I Know What You Did Last Summer...the hook man was a restless spirit. So, they did have some original elements. I enjoyed the episode. Also...the hook man was as simple to get rid of as some of the other critters that they've battled.

yaaayoubetcha
October 26th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Hook Hand was an OK ep.

They just do too much to telegraph things. Perhaps if they get to do some original storylines the stories will get better, but this is on thin ice for me now.

I like that they cover the common urban legends and myths, but they need to delve into more obscure myths and stories or start developing the father and the girlfriend storylines.

Jeffer
October 26th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Yeah once they get into the Father and G/f stuff it will be more original the chick in the last ep was hot the one this week was ok but it always looked like her face was glowing

andromeda_fate
October 26th, 2005, 08:14 AM
I thought the whole 'Aren't you glad you didnt turn on the light' (ok not what it said exactly) was a big unoriginal thing to do.

Lucky for us girls there is PLENTY of eye candy! (Yea us!!:D )

andromeda_fate
October 26th, 2005, 10:23 AM
However, I do agree that they need a recurring female character. Maybe she can join the ghost hunting team. It would be interesting to see how they would deal with her and with each other with a girl involved.

Jeffer
October 26th, 2005, 01:17 PM
However, I do agree that they need a recurring female character. Maybe she can join the ghost hunting team. It would be interesting to see how they would deal with her and with each other with a girl involved.
Yeah thats one of the good things about Smallville all the hot Female charators

JanusAncient
October 26th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Supernatural, anything that has to do with the paranormal has my vote, I could be alone on this, but I think that the family itself has something to do, with these women being consumed in flames. It reminds me of Millennium, I liked that show eventhough it was cancelled, in what the second or third season, still there is potential for improvement in this show, I will continue to watch.

andromeda_fate
October 26th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Supernatural, anything that has to do with the paranormal has my vote, I could be alone on this, but I think that the family itself has something to do, with these women being consumed in flames. It reminds me of Millennium, I liked that show eventhough it was cancelled, in what the second or third season, still there is potential for improvement in this show, I will continue to watch.
I agree with your theory about the women being consumed with flame. It is that underlying storyline that keeps me watching to find out. I think that right now the show relies too heavily on its good looking actors to keep the show afloat. They need better writers to keep it going for longer.

LtColCarter
October 26th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Yes...the women consumed in flames have me intrigued as well. I just wonder what will become of that. I also wonder how that one demon/entity that took over the airline pilot knew about Sam's girlfriend?

Jonisa
October 27th, 2005, 03:22 AM

I am absolutely loving this show, despite some of the cliches. I knew going into it some of the cliches would be there, because they're using actual urban legends to come up with the storylines.

The reason I love it is twofold: I'm intrigued by the mystery of what is going on with the family. I need some sort of overall arc in my television shows. That's one of the reasons I have little interest in procedurals. Stand-alone shows by themselves have little appeal to me, but the networks seem to like them because it's harder to keep viewers if the show is too arc-driven. I hope Supernatural keeps the balance between Monster Of the Week stories and the tease of what's going on with that family.

Secondly, the banter/relationship between the two main characters. I think both Ackles and Padalecki do a great job together and are really believable as brothers. You can see they genuinely care about each other, but it's buried under the baggage of all they've gone through--and the snark of two twenty-something brothers. Also, can't deny the eye candy, for the ladies, anyway. :p Seriously though, I think they're doing a good job creating two characters who are very different and very believable quite early in the series.

I don't know if I want a recurring female character, although I understand why the guys who are watching might like it. I'm just afraid it would end up becoming the inevitable love interest for one of the guys and alter the interesting dynamic building up between the two. Or, even worse, a triangle. Eventually, perhaps, bringing in a female character would be a good idea, but IMO it's too soon. There's too much to be sorted out between the brothers, as well as the missing father.

This is my feel-good, don't-have-to-think-too-hard show of the year. I'm really glad it's doing so well.:)

Elwe Singollo
October 27th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I don't know if I want a recurring female character, although I understand why the guys who are watching might like it. I'm just afraid it would end up becoming the inevitable love interest for one of the guys and alter the interesting dynamic building up between the two. Or, even worse, a triangle. Eventually, perhaps, bringing in a female character would be a good idea, but IMO it's too soon. There's too much to be sorted out between the brothers, as well as the missing father.

This is my feel-good, don't-have-to-think-too-hard show of the year. I'm really glad it's doing so well.:)For the 'regular' female role, i was thinking mainly a 'sybling' sister, obviously this is a scifi show so they could easily pop her character out of nowhere, haha... Well that would easily prevent the idea of those ugly shapes [triangle].

ShadowMaat
October 27th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Maybe the ghost of Sam's girlfriend can start haunting him... and helping out on occasion. ;)

Jeffer
October 27th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Hey yeah they do have a sister that i haven't heard anything about yet

LtColCarter
October 28th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Hey yeah they do have a sister that i haven't heard anything about yet

Nope...no sister is mentioned only Sam and Dean.

SG1SGAp90
October 28th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Yes I did watch the first ep. I loved it, and now I have been watching every ep. and it has some nice laughs too all in all it's a great show the WB has done well with horror shows.

andromeda_fate
October 28th, 2005, 10:31 AM
For the 'regular' female role, i was thinking mainly a 'sybling' sister, obviously this is a scifi show so they could easily pop her character out of nowhere, haha... Well that would easily prevent the idea of those ugly shapes [triangle].
You know I was just thinking about that the other night. A mysterious half sister could pop out of the woodwork. She could be psychic or gifted in some other supernatural way, then she could really help out with the little mission thingys they go on. Maybe she could have a secret/ as in maybe she could know the real reason the mother and the girlfriend died/ maybe she's affected by the same curse? hmmmmmm

Jonisa
October 29th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Maybe the ghost of Sam's girlfriend can start haunting him... and helping out on occasion. ;)

Heh. I like this idea. It has potential. :D

Dean, Sam, and their friend Ghost!Jessica popping up every once in awhile to offer some spooky help.

LtColCarter
October 31st, 2005, 03:50 AM
You know I was just thinking about that the other night. A mysterious half sister could pop out of the woodwork. She could be psychic or gifted in some other supernatural way, then she could really help out with the little mission thingys they go on. Maybe she could have a secret/ as in maybe she could know the real reason the mother and the girlfriend died/ maybe she's affected by the same curse? hmmmmmm

The WB did it on Charmed...brought in the surprise 1/2 sister...why not do it on Supernatural? But...I think its too early for that. Maybe there could be a girl and she lost her boyfriend/husband ina similar way to the boys losing their Mom and Sam losing Jessica?

ShadowMaat
October 31st, 2005, 05:06 AM
Maybe there could be a girl and she lost her boyfriend/husband ina similar way to the boys losing their Mom and Sam losing Jessica?
Someone who doesn't have their background or their understanding, someone who doesn't care about the "supernatural" part of it and doesn't care about other people in danger... she's out for revenge and nothing is going to get in her way. And if it turns out to be the headless horseman who did it, so what? She'll destroy him, too. Whatever it takes. She makes them look like pansies when it comes to ruthless determination, but they have to teach her a thing or two about not losing her humanity in the process and becoming worse than the thing she hunts.

That has some good possibilities. ;)

Or, in a similar vein, someone who has been "haunted" all her life- orphaned at an early age by the mysterious deaths of her parents, sent from foster home to foster home, which was one disaster after another... and every time she thinks she's found a place, something awful happens to keep her alone. She's withdrawn into herself; she trusts no one, relies on no one, and is afraid to feel attachment to anyone for fear of what might happen to them. It would be Dean's and Sam's job to try and help draw her out, to show her that she CAN interact with the world without tragedy following, and doing their best to help her figure out what happened and why.

LtColCarter
November 1st, 2005, 03:53 AM
Someone who doesn't have their background or their understanding, someone who doesn't care about the "supernatural" part of it and doesn't care about other people in danger... she's out for revenge and nothing is going to get in her way. And if it turns out to be the headless horseman who did it, so what? She'll destroy him, too. Whatever it takes. She makes them look like pansies when it comes to ruthless determination, but they have to teach her a thing or two about not losing her humanity in the process and becoming worse than the thing she hunts.

That has some good possibilities. ;)

Or, in a similar vein, someone who has been "haunted" all her life- orphaned at an early age by the mysterious deaths of her parents, sent from foster home to foster home, which was one disaster after another... and every time she thinks she's found a place, something awful happens to keep her alone. She's withdrawn into herself; she trusts no one, relies on no one, and is afraid to feel attachment to anyone for fear of what might happen to them. It would be Dean's and Sam's job to try and help draw her out, to show her that she CAN interact with the world without tragedy following, and doing their best to help her figure out what happened and why.

All very good areas of exploration for the show! Maybe we should join forces and become writers for the show. At least we know then that it wouldn't suck! ;)

LtColCarter
November 3rd, 2005, 07:04 AM
Anyone know if Supernatural is going to have a new episode this coming week?

Jonisa
November 4th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Anyone know if Supernatural is going to have a new episode this coming week?

I doubt you're surprised that I'm able to answer that question. :D I just love this show.

Anyway, next week Tuesday is a new episode, called "Bugs". The week after that is "Home", and the one after that is "Asylum". I'm not a spoiler person at all, so I can't tell you much about the episodes, other than in the episode "Home" they go back to their hometown and I think we find out more about what happened to their mother, and in the episode "Asylum" they're in a haunted insane asylum and I think Sam wigs out on Dean...or maybe it's the other way around? :p Anyway, that's all I know.

Naeara
November 5th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the info, Jonisa. Personally I can't wait for "Home". :)

ShadowMaat
November 5th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Glad I didn't miss it. Why was it preempted, anyway?

Jonisa
November 5th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Glad I didn't miss it. Why was it preempted, anyway?

Technically it wasn't preempted, it was a repeat of "Dead in the Water", but as to why...Good question. :) You'd think during the week of Halloween they'd want to show a Supernatural ep. Ghouls and goblins and other things that go bump in the night would be perfect.

I'm guessing maybe they were saving new episodes for November Sweeps???

Naeara
November 6th, 2005, 01:25 AM
I'd say they're probably saving eps for sweeps but I don't pretend to know what goes on in a TV exec's head. :p

LtColCarter
November 6th, 2005, 06:31 AM
I'd say they're probably saving eps for sweeps but I don't pretend to know what goes on in a TV exec's head. :p

You mean TV Exec's heads have things going on in them? I just thought they were empty. Sortta like balloons! Because some of their deicisions make no sense.

Anyway...I agree that the week of Halloween you'd think that there'd be a brand spankin' new episode of Supernatural. Instead we get the boy in the lake story.

LtColCarter
November 8th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Looks like our Supernatural hotties are gonna get "bugged" tonight! ;)

Yay! A new episdoe!

ShadowMaat
November 8th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Looks like our Supernatural hotties are gonna get "bugged" tonight! ;)
LOL! For a second I thought you said buggered. I was thinking, "Dude! I totally wanna see that!" ;) But bugs... yeah, bugs are OK.

Just hope it isn't a War of the Coprophages thing. Or that story I read about the ants. Or the Bugmeister. ;)

Jeffer
November 8th, 2005, 06:05 PM
tonights bug ep was good the only prob i had with it was that day time seemed to role around quite fast like Sam said it was 12:15 eerr so and it seemed like it was day time a half hour

next weeks ep looks awesome they are going home

ShadowMaat
November 8th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Gonna tag the bugs ep. Although if anyone wants to flag a mod to add spoiler warnings to the subject line, that'd be peachy, too. :)

Yeah, time passed WAY too fast. Major cop out on the part of the writers.

Also, why the hell didn't they lock themselves in a room and seal THAT off instead of standing around in a big open space staring stupidly at the fireplace? And then they run to the ATTIC??! How impractical is THAT?!

Watching them get attacked by the swarm the first time was OK, then it got tedious. Come on, guys, you can do better than that.

I'd also like to know why only insects? If Nature itself is supposed to rise up, I'd like to see the birds, raccoons, sewer-dwelling crocodiles, man-eating plants and some psychotic squirrels getting into the mix, too. ;)

It had its moments. The running joke about "regardless of sexual orientation" was funny. I'm a bit surprised the bug spray wasn't Die Bug Die, but oh well. The way it all played out seemed a little too similar to other things for my tastes, though.

The show needs to take more chances, dammit. Stop playing with the safe, cutesy little stories and dig deeper. There's potential here, if only they'd use it.

And damn them for not giving us a towel-clad Dean fresh from the shower. :P

Jeffer
November 8th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Also when they went in through the window they steped on class moved a towel and touched the window there finger prints would have been all over the crime seen

ShadowMaat
November 8th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Also when they went in through the window they steped on glass moved a towel and touched the window there finger prints would have been all over the crime scene.
Oh, don't even get me started on the ridiculous amounts of evidence they leave behind every time they go near a crime scene. :rolleyes: Obviously, neither of them watch CSI or they'd know better than to go trampling all over things. They destroy evidence, too. Just because THEY know it's "supernatural" causes doesn't mean that the police will.

Their father trained them in all kinds of ridiculous things, why not teach them how NOT to destroy a crime scene?? Heck, I should think forensics would be an important part of monster hunting. ;) Not ALL of the things they chase are non-corporeal ghosts.

Naeara
November 8th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Agree with all of the criticisms above. That was the fastest night ever. :rolleyes: I did enjoy the parts where Sam was talking about his relationship with his Dad and the sexual orientation gag was amusing. ;) I was watching the ep through my fingers half the time though because I can't handle bugs. Spiders are just right out. Yuck.

Kensterman
November 9th, 2005, 06:12 AM
I could not believe the ending! The bugs started coming out at 12a.m. ish, and as they are fending them off up in the attic, the sun comes out already after a short bout??????? I guess we have to use our imagination in time laspe and pretend that 6 hours went by -- hmm, that's a long time for that 'bug spray' can to have lasted though. :rolleyes:

tonights bug ep was good the only prob i had with it was that day time seemed to role around quite fast like Sam said it was 12:15 eerr so and it seemed like it was day time a half hour

next weeks ep looks awesome they are going home

Arative
November 9th, 2005, 07:00 AM
At first I thought that is was the Native American guy they had talked to that was doing something to lift the curse but then I realized that the sun had come up and I was like WTF that was a short night, the housing development must have been close to the artic cricle where the nights are about 2 hours long.

What was the purpose to lighting the bug spray on fire? Sure it looked cool but wouldn't regular bug spray work just as well as fire?

Next week looks good though.

ShadowMaat
November 9th, 2005, 07:18 AM
When the sunlight started pouring through the holes in the roof, I actually tried to think of a scientific explanation for the sun to rise in the middle of the night. Like, maybe some ultra-rare ultra bizarre eclipse thing. Frankly, that would probably have made more sense than the massive time cut the ep took. :P

And the bug spray- first of all, shouldn't any aerosol-type things work? Those cleaners and whatnot? Or were those squeeze sprayers? I didn't actually notice.

How was he lighting it, anyway? Did he have a lighter I didn't see?

I wonder how toxic flaming bug spray is to humans. Especially in a confined space.

yaaayoubetcha
November 9th, 2005, 08:20 AM
it was an amusing ep.

the best part about it, and perhaps this isn't saying much, is that they actually took a few minutes to develop the father/sons brother/brother aspect...

whether we meet the father next week or at any time this season...they need to do more development of the actual characters.

Kensterman
November 9th, 2005, 08:29 AM
I didn't even bother to think of any explanation when I saw the sunlight pouring in...all I remember is saying to myself "Oh man, you got to be kidding".

Bug spray: Yeah, anything that's flammable would do. I believe I did see him with a lighter and holding it up to the can in one of the scenes.

Yeah, them fumes would be toxic to humans I'd imagine in high concentrations.

I hate to cut the show like this, but they really should be more 'realistic' on the things that they show. Such things can make or break the show with loyal fans if it starts to get cheezy.

When the sunlight started pouring through the holes in the roof, I actually tried to think of a scientific explanation for the sun to rise in the middle of the night. Like, maybe some ultra-rare ultra bizarre eclipse thing. Frankly, that would probably have made more sense than the massive time cut the ep took. :P

And the bug spray- first of all, shouldn't any aerosol-type things work? Those cleaners and whatnot? Or were those squeeze sprayers? I didn't actually notice.

How was he lighting it, anyway? Did he have a lighter I didn't see?

I wonder how toxic flaming bug spray is to humans. Especially in a confined space.

andromeda_fate
November 9th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I'm really looking forward to next weeks episode. As for the bug episode. I'm soooo disappointed. If they had just had an episode about the burgeoning relationship between the two brothers it would have been better. It was so cliche. I couldn't help but make fun of it. I mean building on a cursed Indian burial ground? Come on! At least give it a unique twist. Give these boys something to work with!
Sorry I'm done venting now. Oh yeah... Except for that short night thing. I also was thinking it was a flood light or a weird reverse eclipse. That would have made more sense!

Anyways, like I said... looking forward to next weeks episode. Looks like we get to see some Dean angst. :D

Jeffer
November 9th, 2005, 01:44 PM
The development of the Father story line was good and the Fact that Dean was on the phone saying that he really needed his father's help was good to see we might acually get into original story lines now

ShadowMaat
November 9th, 2005, 01:48 PM
...we might acually get into original story lines now
This gets said after every ep and so far, I'm not seeing much originality. :P

There's a good show buried in all the fluff, but they pile on so many cliches and ridiculous storylines that it's hard to keep track of the grains of good stuff that leak through.

Elwe Singollo
November 10th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but did this episode remind anyone of that movie with Lucy Lawless on CBS a while ago something?

By the way Shadow, who is ur avatar? i've seen that picture somewhere, but i have no idea who the person is.

ShadowMaat
November 10th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Colin Egglesfield. Not exactly a household name. ;) According to IMDB he's in All my Children now, but I ran across in him the pilot ep of Lost in Oz.

He's a bit more lumpy than my usual boytoys, but not as bad as SOME people I could mention. :-p

The bugs ep reminded me of a couple of different things, none of them very good.

Liv
November 10th, 2005, 05:36 AM
I'm so hooked on this show it's ridiculous! :D It surprises me just how much I'm loving it since I didn't really care for the Pilot episode at all and almost didn't watch the following episode. Good thing I decided otherwise. It's the only show right now - besides SGA - that I'm this head over heels for.

Never in a million years did I expect to like a character that Jared Padalecki portrays - to this degree. Particularly since I thought his character on Gilmore Girls was about as interesting as watching paint dry. I think a lot of my reservations toward the Pilot came from me thinking he was essentially playing the same person then and the name was the only thing that had really changed. I saw the same mannerisms and the same speech patterns and was ready to give up on the show if it meant having to watch GG-Dean v 2.0. But he's won me over completely now and I wouldn't want to see any other actor as Sam. Jensen Ackles on the other hand I've been a fan of since his Dark Angel days and he was the sole reason I even bothered to watch the second season of that show so I was pretty sure I was going to like his character from the start. I was right. ;)

So the thing that's drawn me in the most is definitely the brotherly relationship. The banter between the two of them is just hysterically funny to me. :D

I know the show has been renewed for a full season, but does that mean full-time with 20-22 episodes or is it a BSG kind of a deal where they only get about 13 episodes for the first season? :confused:

andromeda_fate
November 10th, 2005, 08:04 AM
This gets said after every ep and so far, I'm not seeing much originality. :P

There's a good show buried in all the fluff, but they pile on so many cliches and ridiculous storylines that it's hard to keep track of the grains of good stuff that leak through.
I so totally agree with you.:p

LtColCarter
November 10th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Well...maybe it will get out from under the fluff!

Naeara
November 10th, 2005, 09:50 AM
I know the show has been renewed for a full season, but does that mean full-time with 20-22 episodes or is it a BSG kind of a deal where they only get about 13 episodes for the first season? :confused:

I believe it's going to be a 22 episode season. :)

LtColCarter
November 10th, 2005, 09:55 AM

I hope it is! This would be a good thing!:D

Jonisa
November 10th, 2005, 11:10 AM
I'm so hooked on this show it's ridiculous! :D

So the thing that's drawn me in the most is definitely the brotherly relationship. The banter between the two of them is just hysterically funny to me. :D

Glad to see I'm not the only one out there hooked on this show.:D

I didn't come with any preconceived notions about either actor in the show. I have never seen even one episode of Gilmore Girls so I fell in love with Jared Padalecki's character during the pilot. I've also never seen Dark Angel and I bailed on Smallville long before last season so I didn't know Jensen Ackles either. Now I have to say I love both characters equally.

It's definitely the brother thing for me too. They are completely believable as brothers, with the banter and the snark and the difficulty expressing some of the deeper stuff between the two, even though it's obviously there. I love the relationship aspect that I'm willing to overlook some other things about the show that are, ahem, not exactly all that great. (What was with that four-minute night in the "Bugs" episode anyway? Lame.):p

Last night's episode is a good example. Yep, it was cheesy, even though the bugs still managed to squick me out. Spiders. Ugh. The special effects weren't the greatest and there were some gaping plot holes, but the backstory about Sam's troubled relationship with his father and Dean being caught between the two was fantastic. Poor Sam, all he ever wanted was to be normal. He never had a chance to experience it, while at least Dean had a few years with the Dad and Mom and house with the picket fence. Poor Dean, caught in the middle between the only two people in his life that he cares about.

Interesting that the stereotypical "good" child (studious, college-bound, responsible) is the black sheep of the family, while the so-called "rebel" (hustling in pool halls, cares little about education, etc.) is considered the Golden Boy.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Dean's resentment toward his brother and also more about his obvious devotion, almost hero-worship, of his father. I also love the over-protective big brother vibe I get from him toward Sam. I'm also wondering when/if Sam will give up his hopes for a normal life and accept that he's different, like his brother keeps telling him. What will it take for him to come to that realization, if he ever does?

Oh, as for the season. I'm pretty sure it's a full 22 episodes. Haven't heard differently anywhere.

Can't wait till next week. Unfortunately, I have to wait until Wednesday night, due to the WB not being a part of my local channels. Bummer.:S

andromeda_fate
November 10th, 2005, 12:50 PM
One of the good things about this episode was that it finally answered my question as to how they were funding their little hunting expedition. (If it hadn't been answered this episode I was going to ask that question on this thread and see what you guys thought.):p

yaaayoubetcha
November 10th, 2005, 12:53 PM
One of the good things about this episode was that it finally answered my question as to how they were funding their little hunting expedition. (If it hadn't been answered this episode I was going to ask that question on this thread and see what you guys thought.):p

I think in the first ep it was also indicated they get by with CC Fraud.

ShadowMaat
November 10th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Dean Winchester, Male Gigolo. :D

LtColCarter
November 11th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Dean Winchester, Male Gigolo. :D

Sign me up!;)

andromeda_fate
November 11th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Sign me up!;)
Ditto!;) ;)

I havn't seen the first three or four episodes so there are still gaping holes in my knowledge of the show. I saw the commercials for the premiere and tuned in for the first episode but after seeing the mom burst into flames from the ceiling, I changed it because I thought it was going to be dumb. Then a few episodes later I caught the second half of the boy drowning lake one. It was pretty good and I've been watching ever since. Too bad that episode was the best one I've seen so far.

Anyways, here are some things I don't know. Why do they think that their dad is still alive? Where do they think he is? Why did he leave?

(More questions later when I think of them.)

ShadowMaat
November 11th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Anyways, here are some things I don't know. Why do they think that their dad is still alive? Where do they think he is? Why did he leave?
Well, as Dean told Sam when he showed up at his baby brother's place in the dead of night, Dad went on a "hunting trip" and didn't come back. There was no sign of him where he'd last been seen, but a few tantalizing clues (including his journal, which he'd NEVER leave behind) have sent them tearing off in search of Daddy. They don't know why he left (without completing his mission in the one place) and they don't know where he is... but they intend to find him and bring him home. :)

andromeda_fate
November 11th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Allright, but how do they know he's not dead? Or are they just hoping he's not dead? Also, when I've seen recaps of previous episodes I hear Sam saying he wants to find his girlfriends killer. Does he mean an actual person or something supernatural? Because wasn't she stuck on the ceiling just like his mom?

Liv
November 11th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks! :) Good to know I won't have to go into withdrawal due to the lack of new episodes just yet. ;)

Glad to see I'm not the only one out there hooked on this show.:D

I didn't come with any preconceived notions about either actor in the show. I have never seen even one episode of Gilmore Girls so I fell in love with Jared Padalecki's character during the pilot. I've also never seen Dark Angel and I bailed on Smallville long before last season so I didn't know Jensen Ackles either. Now I have to say I love both characters equally.I'm still surprised at just how much I am loving Sam/Jared on this show when he annoyed me so much on Gilmore Girls. Very happily surprised. Never could get into Smallville at all. The little I saw of it I found the stories and a majority of the actors to be... well, not good. Not even Jensen could convince me to give it another try. ;) And I agree with loving both characters equally now; I couldn't imagine the show without either one of them.

It's definitely the brother thing for me too. They are completely believable as brothers, with the banter and the snark and the difficulty expressing some of the deeper stuff between the two, even though it's obviously there. I love the relationship aspect that I'm willing to overlook some other things about the show that are, ahem, not exactly all that great. (What was with that four-minute night in the "Bugs" episode anyway? Lame.):pDitto. Yes, Bugs really did have the shortest night in the history of nights, didn't it? ;) But I agree, I'm willing to forgive a lot of the cliches and the inconsistencies between some of the scenes (Skin in particular comes to mind; a lot of "what the heck...?" moments for me in that one) for the relationship between the two brothers. Again with Skin - we got so much interesting stuff in the scenes with Not!Dean and with what he was telling Sam. So much was brought to the surface and even though Sam knows it wasn't his brother doing the talking I'm sure he wonders just how much of it was true and how much of it was maliciously twisted into lies.

Last night's episode is a good example. Yep, it was cheesy, even though the bugs still managed to squick me out. Spiders. Ugh. The special effects weren't the greatest and there were some gaping plot holes, but the backstory about Sam's troubled relationship with his father and Dean being caught between the two was fantastic.Spiders do freak me out the most. Strange thing is, I had no problem watching Sam pick up the spider from the table. Maybe because Sam was acting so calm when he was handling the spider. Or maybe because I was keeping most of my focus on how nice his hands are. :p ;) I also had to laugh at the incredibly fake spiders that Dean shook out of the towel. Did the prop person just run down to the local store to purchase the first plastic ones they could get their hands on?

Poor Sam, all he ever wanted was to be normal. He never had a chance to experience it, while at least Dean had a few years with the Dad and Mom and house with the picket fence. Poor Dean, caught in the middle between the only two people in his life that he cares about.
I'm not sure who I feel for the most. I'm leaning towards Dean, though, because it seems to me that he's been the most isolated of the two (hunting seems to be all he really knows and it's gotten to be such a big part of his identity by now) and as the big brother I'm sure he had to shoulder a lot of the responsibilities and of taking care of Sam when they were growing up.

Interesting that the stereotypical "good" child (studious, college-bound, responsible) is the black sheep of the family, while the so-called "rebel" (hustling in pool halls, cares little about education, etc.) is considered the Golden Boy.
That was a nice little twist I thought. Or maybe not so much "twist" as... continuation of what we've already been told (now that I'm looking back), but still - it came as a bit of a surprise when it was revealed to us just because of how, as you say, it turns the stereotype on its head a bit.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Dean's resentment toward his brother and also more about his obvious devotion, almost hero-worship, of his father. I also love the over-protective big brother vibe I get from him toward Sam. I'm also wondering when/if Sam will give up his hopes for a normal life and accept that he's different, like his brother keeps telling him. What will it take for him to come to that realization, if he ever does?The highlighted part is one of my absolute favorite aspects of the character as well. Spoilers/speculation for next week's Home: Watching the preview I get the feeling that something will happen to Sam when they go back to the house (one of the spirits seems to be dragging him across the floor?) and that's why Dean is so anxious to get ahold of their dad - even more so than up until now.

As for Sam... Good question! :D I'm not sure what it will take for him to let go off his wish for a normal life... It's going to be interesting to see how he will react once they find the demon that killed Jessica and their mom. I think as long as there are ties to this demon his focus is entirely on that and once that's been taken care of... Well, I can't wait to find out. ;)

Oh, as for the season. I'm pretty sure it's a full 22 episodes. Haven't heard differently anywhere.

Can't wait till next week. Unfortunately, I have to wait until Wednesday night, due to the WB not being a part of my local channels. Bummer.:SWednesday for me too. But for different reasons. ;) :D Seems like it's going to be a great episode and I'm very much looking forward to it.

ShadowMaat
November 11th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Allright, but how do they know he's not dead? Or are they just hoping he's not dead? Also, when I've seen recaps of previous episodes I hear Sam saying he wants to find his girlfriends killer. Does he mean an actual person or something supernatural? Because wasn't she stuck on the ceiling just like his mom?
They find hints along the way that lead them to believe he's still alive. I know there was some cell phone message at some point. Or they were finally able to call and leave a message on his cell phone whereas before it never connected.

And the girlfriend was killed by a supernatural something and that's what Sam is hunting.

andromeda_fate
November 11th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks! :)
I'm still surprised at just how much I am loving Sam/Jared on this show when he annoyed me so much on Gilmore Girls. Very happily surprised. Never could get into Smallville at all. The little I saw of it I found the stories and a majority of the actors to be... well, not good. Not even Jensen could convince me to give it another try. ;) And I agree with loving both characters equally now; I couldn't imagine the show without either one of them.
I am loving both characters also. The characters have to have a good personality in order for me to think they're cute. When J.A. was on Smallville (and I was forced to watch it because my uncle still likes it even though I got bored two seasons ago,) I didn't think he was attractive at all. Now he's way cute to me. It's all about the characters personality.

I also had to laugh at the incredibly fake spiders that Dean shook out of the towel. Did the prop person just run down to the local store to purchase the first plastic ones they could get their hands on?
Me too! I couldn't help making fun of all the horrible special effects. The faky spiders coming out of the shower head. But the plastic halloween spiders were the worst.

Jonisa
November 11th, 2005, 04:15 PM
I'm still surprised at just how much I am loving Sam/Jared on this show when he annoyed me so much on Gilmore Girls. Very happily surprised. Never could get into Smallville at all. The little I saw of it I found the stories and a majority of the actors to be... well, not good. Not even Jensen could convince me to give it another try. ;) And I agree with loving both characters equally now; I couldn't imagine the show without either one of them.

Interesting that for me Sam is the one I was first drawn to, the one I "preferred" of the two when I watched the pilot. He just seemed so sweet, and sincere, and I felt so sorry for the character, being the focal point of two tragedies like that. I liked Dean, but he seemed to me the stereotypical cocky rah-rah shoot-em-up guy. I didn't see a lot of depth there initially. I sure can't say that anymore. I love 'em both, screwed up as they both are.:)

I'm willing to forgive a lot of the cliches and the inconsistencies between some of the scenes (Skin in particular comes to mind; a lot of "what the heck...?" moments for me in that one) for the relationship between the two brothers. Again with Skin - we got so much interesting stuff in the scenes with Not!Dean and with what he was telling Sam. So much was brought to the surface and even though Sam knows it wasn't his brother doing the talking I'm sure he wonders just how much of it was true and how much of it was maliciously twisted into lies.

Yeah, I had a lot of "Wait a minute, didn't he just...?" and "Now how on earth did she...?" moments in Skin too. It honestly took me out of the story a couple of times because some moments were so jarring. The episode was redeemed though, as you indicated, by those unbelievable Not!Dean and Sam scenes. Good stuff.

Spiders do freak me out the most. Strange thing is, I had no problem watching Sam pick up the spider from the table. Maybe because Sam was acting so calm when he was handling the spider. Or maybe because I was keeping most of my focus on how nice his hands are. :p ;)

I didn't have a problem with Sam and the spider either. But I'm telling you, if I'd have been that chick in the shower and a spider that size had fallen on my face, that little bugger would have been in spider heaven extremely quickly thereafter. I would never have let that thing crawl off, hiding somewhere else in my house. *shudder*

I'm not sure who I feel for the most. I'm leaning towards Dean, though, because it seems to me that he's been the most isolated of the two (hunting seems to be all he really knows and it's gotten to be such a big part of his identity by now) and as the big brother I'm sure he had to shoulder a lot of the responsibilities and of taking care of Sam when they were growing up.

I go back and forth. Dean had an enormous burden, as I don't think Dad was the father of the year and I get the feeling from their relationship that Dean took on that role for Sam. I feel sorry for little Dean growing up, never really getting much of a chance to be a child, never letting himself get close to anyone but his father and brother. His feelings are hidden away so deeply. Watching Bugs you would think he never wanted a normal life even for a moment, but Skin gives a completely different impression. I'm hoping we learn a lot more about Dean next week. My heart just broke for him in that preview.

Sam though. Awww. He does angst so well. He manages to make me feel sorry for him without coming across as whining, and I don't think he's come to terms with the fact that he's been the common denominator between two horrific events that took away women he loved. Also, what's with the visions he had of Jessica before she died? Is there more to that story? I don't know what's worse, knowing a parent and then losing her or never having the chance to get to know her so you're always wondering what she's like. I feel sorry for little Sammy too, watching the world around him living a life that everyone takes for granted, and knowing that he isn't allowed to have it. Never being able to truly understand his father and brother's vendetta, because he doesn't share their memory. He obviously loves his father and his brother, despite their disagreements. I'm guessing leaving was incredibly difficult for him, even if he didn't let it show.

And I love overprotective Dean too! It fits into what they've set up as the boys' upbringing perfectly.

Good to know I'm not the only one who has to wait a day to see it, no matter what the reason.;) :p It'll be difficult staying away from the boards on Tuesday evening, but I don't want to get too spoiled about next week. It looks too good.

Liv
November 12th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I am loving both characters also. The characters have to have a good personality in order for me to think they're cute. When J.A. was on Smallville (and I was forced to watch it because my uncle still likes it even though I got bored two seasons ago,) I didn't think he was attractive at all. Now he's way cute to me. It's all about the characters personality.
For me as well. So really, I shouldn't have been so surprised, but my feelings for GG-Dean and my feelings for Sam are pretty much like night and day. I think Sam is sweet and adorable and just all-around appealing to me because of who he is, whereas GG-Dean (FCOL, why did he have to be named Dean!) is... none of those things.

Interesting that for me Sam is the one I was first drawn to, the one I "preferred" of the two when I watched the pilot. He just seemed so sweet, and sincere, and I felt so sorry for the character, being the focal point of two tragedies like that. I liked Dean, but he seemed to me the stereotypical cocky rah-rah shoot-em-up guy. I didn't see a lot of depth there initially. I sure can't say that anymore. I love 'em both, screwed up as they both are.:)
Well, he was still tainted by his previous role... I have since seen the light. :D I wholeheartedly agree about Dean. Had he been just another one of those cocky I-couldn't-care-less guys then my interest would have faded real fast. The pretty isn't enough for me. Not even the Jensen pretty. :p But he really is a wonderful character and I'm so curious to find out even more about his backstory.

I didn't have a problem with Sam and the spider either. But I'm telling you, if I'd have been that chick in the shower and a spider that size had fallen on my face, that little bugger would have been in spider heaven extremely quickly thereafter. I would never have let that thing crawl off, hiding somewhere else in my house. *shudder*
Amen to that! Had a spider crawled around on my face - well, my screams would have been heard around the world, for one - but I also would have made sure it was deader than dead before being able to do anything else.

I’m pretty sure I would have flailed around a great deal as well.

I go back and forth. Dean had an enormous burden, as I don't think Dad was the father of the year and I get the feeling from their relationship that Dean took on that role for Sam. I feel sorry for little Dean growing up, never really getting much of a chance to be a child, never letting himself get close to anyone but his father and brother. His feelings are hidden away so deeply. Watching Bugs you would think he never wanted a normal life even for a moment, but Skin gives a completely different impression. I'm hoping we learn a lot more about Dean next week. My heart just broke for him in that preview.
That tiny little scene in the preview made my heart skip a little bit. I’m a big fan of getting to see the emotional side in characters like Dean - who don’t really allow us access to their vulnerable side all too often - and I feel like there’s great potential for just that with this episode. There’s so much going on beneath the surface with him and it’s intriguing to me.

Sam though. Awww. He does angst so well. He manages to make me feel sorry for him without coming across as whining,
I very much agree. Sam is an extremely symphatetic character, I think.

He also has a very pretty smile. ;)

and I don't think he's come to terms with the fact that he's been the common denominator between two horrific events that took away women he loved. Also, what's with the visions he had of Jessica before she died? Is there more to that story? I don't know what's worse, knowing a parent and then losing her or never having the chance to get to know her so you're always wondering what she's like. I feel sorry for little Sammy too, watching the world around him living a life that everyone takes for granted, and knowing that he isn't allowed to have it. Never being able to truly understand his father and brother's vendetta, because he doesn't share their memory. He obviously loves his father and his brother, despite their disagreements. I'm guessing leaving was incredibly difficult for him, even if he didn't let it show.

And I love overprotective Dean too! It fits into what they've set up as the boys' upbringing perfectly.
I think there is more to it, yes. I’m still undecided on whether or not I think that’s a good thing. If it’s limited to Jessica’s death then I’ll be fine with it, but my main concern is that he will start having more and more visions which will somehow be able to aid them in their fight against evil and that it turns out that Sam was chosen for this all along. Then Dean will get an ability of his own (I’ve read theories about him possibly being an empath, but that's just sheer speculation at this point) and presto! -- they’ll truly be the “Supernatural duo”. Eh. I would be... less than thrilled with that. I love the fact that they are doing this unusal line of work but that - apart from knowing how to fight - they don’t have any kind of “special” powers and I would really, really like TPTB to keep it that way. Then again it’s probably a bit too early to worry about it so I’ll try my best not to. ;) I just want to enjoy the show for what it is right now.

Good to know I'm not the only one who has to wait a day to see it, no matter what the reason.;) :p It'll be difficult staying away from the boards on Tuesday evening, but I don't want to get too spoiled about next week. It looks too good.
I have a feeling it will become my new favorite episode. ;)

Jonisa
November 12th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Amen to that! Had a spider crawled around on my face - well, my screams would have been heard around the world, for one - but I also would have made sure it was deader than dead before being able to do anything else.

I’m pretty sure I would have flailed around a great deal as well.

Yes, there would have been substantial flailing and a variety of other embarrassing behaviors on my part as well. And shrieking. Definitely shrieking. And excessive checking of the sheets and blankets before I went to bed in case its brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, friends or parents may be lurking nearby.:p

That tiny little scene in the preview made my heart skip a little bit. I’m a big fan of getting to see the emotional side in characters like Dean - who don’t really allow us access to their vulnerable side all too often - and I feel like there’s great potential for just that with this episode. There’s so much going on beneath the surface with him and it’s intriguing to me.

Poor Dean. *sniffle* Can't wait to see that scene and what leads up to it. It's going to have to be something major for him to become that vulnerable, which makes me think it has something to do with Sam. I can't think of much else that would affect to the extent that he would let his emotions show that way. Or perhaps...perhaps something to do with his mother, considering where they are.

I read a comment on another forum where the poster mentioned how she sees Dean as incredibly lonely, and I thought that was a very astute observation. He only has two people in his world, a Dad who seems more than a little unstable and a brother who he obviously feels responsible for and loves unreservedly but who rejected the hunting lifestyle, and by extension Dean. I think he's a bundle of insecurities and fear underneath that exterior, and I love the way it slips out every once in awhile.

but my main concern is that he will start having more and more visions which will somehow be able to aid them in their fight against evil and that it turns out that Sam was chosen for this all along. Then Dean will get an ability of his own (I’ve read theories about him possibly being an empath, but that's just sheer speculation at this point) and presto! -- they’ll truly be the “Supernatural duo”. Eh. I would be... less than thrilled with that. I love the fact that they are doing this unusal line of work but that - apart from knowing how to fight - they don’t have any kind of “special” powers and I would really, really like TPTB to keep it that way. Then again it’s probably a bit too early to worry about it so I’ll try my best not to. ;) I just want to enjoy the show for what it is right now.

I agree with this. A huge part of their appeal is that they're just these two guys who became what they are through their mother's death and their father's vendetta, and they're no more or less than that. I do hope that if they do give Sam some sort of general precognitive abilities, they'll find a way to make it believable and not too intrusive, but I hope they don't. We don't need a "special" brother, not either of them. They're already special in the way they were raised, the knowledge and abilities they have because of that upbringing, and their fantastically screwed up psyches.

My guess is, if the writers do go this way, they'll do it as a way to keep Sam hunting. Right now he's looking for his Dad to help revenge Jessica's death, but after he finds his Dad and/or comes to term with Jessica's death, will he continue?

This is speculation only, I'm avoiding spoilers, but if he does have some sort of psychic gift, or if this entity was after him for some reason, that's yet another indication of where his destiny lies--with his brother. He's been fighting it, mostly because he doesn't have the memories his Dad and brother do of his mother's death so he never really understood their devotion to hunting, but I'm more and more convinced that eventually he's going to have to accept that he's not going to have the picket fence life. Jessica's death was one indication. Some sort of precognitive ability might be another.

Having said this, I hope they don't go there. With either of them.:D

LtColCarter
November 14th, 2005, 06:12 AM
I agree...I hope they don't give either brother any "special" abilities. I like the interaction of the two and their natural instincts. So...status quo is good!

andromeda_fate
November 15th, 2005, 08:06 AM
I know they film in Canada (another good reason to visit there!) but where are the brothers supposed to be from? For some reason I picture somewhere in the midwest or further south. I'm soooo excited for tonights episode!:p

LtColCarter
November 15th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I know they film in Canada (another good reason to visit there!) but where are the brothers supposed to be from? For some reason I picture somewhere in the midwest or further south. I'm soooo excited for tonights episode!:p

Me too! :-) It looks like it may be good. I wonder if they actually contact their Dad?

andromeda_fate
November 15th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I think he just leaves him a message (like he has apperently done before). But why do they just leave him messages? Aren't they worried that he never answers his phone? Why would he lead his sons on a wild goose chase. Unless! (the wheels start turning) He has been kidnapped by the supernatural something or other that killed his wife and Sam's girlfriend and the thing that kidnapped him is leaving the cell phone on so that Sam and Dean will follow and try to find him so that the bad supernatural something or other can have the whole family for some twisted and evil purpose. (pauses for breath) Okay, I'm done.:D

yaaayoubetcha
November 15th, 2005, 05:23 PM
ok....so that scene in the kitchen was just pathetic.

i know it's the WB, but do they think their entire audience is less than 15 yrs old? that gig is so overdone.

been interesting other than that so far though.

yaaayoubetcha
November 15th, 2005, 05:57 PM
OK.

The rest of the ep redeemed itself.

Good ending.

Jeffer
November 15th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Beware of spoilers

good ep did it seem to anyone else the first scen in the motel was subpar acting

and Sam is getting abilitys and if they play this right which they have started to it will work out well

on the whole a good ep and its the original story line we were looking for i figured it was a women i didn't think they would pull the mom card

and its nice to know that he did respond to Dean's message but didn't help

and the dad card was good for the ending

yaaayoubetcha
November 15th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Yah,

I wasn't really expecting the dad this season, let a lone this ep.

Like the psychic, too. Hopefully she'll be a recurring character. Not a crutch, but a good last ditch and some humour.

ShadowMaat
November 15th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I LOVED tonight's ep! No, it wasn't perfect, but it shows that TPTB can do something remotely original and it demonstrated some of the potential inherent in a series like this. Only one or two silly, unnecessary moments, but over all I liked it. Good hook at the end. I'm willing to bet that the dad thinks that whatever is happening is because of him and that he's afraid to go near his boys until he finds out the truth because he doesn't want them getting killed, too.

Am I to understand that Dad didn't go all Van Helsing until AFTER mom's death? So her flamey demise wasn't some kind of retribution for his ghostbusting efforts but was instead the catalyst (ha) that drove him to do what he does? Hmmm. Think Sam inherited his powers from daddy?

Lots of great possibilites, some really nice character moments, and PLEASE have Missouri come back! I love her. :)

Jeffer
November 15th, 2005, 06:39 PM
She was very good it was funny how Dean was allways the butt of the jokes unlike the previus ep where it was more Sam like the butt of the jokes

LtColCarter
November 15th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Very good episode!

I really felt for Dean when he called his Dad asking for help. I think we've all been there as adults (or at least I know I have). Thankfully, my parents were there for me.

Anyway, I retract what I said about Sam getting abilities. They seem to be doing in a natural way, and not a wham-bam-I-powers way. LOL. Right now, Sam just knows he senses things. I think if he takes time...he can strengthen those abilities.

I also loved that they brought in the boys Mom to help them out. It was awesome to see her again, but its ashame that she may not be back. I say that because the psychic said that her engery cancelled out the other entities energy.

My only complaint is John at the end. What the heck is he doing hiding from his sons? They can help him discover whatever truth it is together and come out as a stronger family in the end. That just bothers me that he's hiding from them.

Supernatural is really turning out to be an awesome show! I really hope it gets picked up for a second season.:D

yaaayoubetcha
November 15th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Am I to understand that Dad didn't go all Van Helsing until AFTER mom's death? So her flamey demise wasn't some kind of retribution for his ghostbusting efforts but was instead the catalyst (ha) that drove him to do what he does? Hmmm. Think Sam inherited his powers from daddy?

That's the impression i was left with as well.

They were regular joes until the big bad took the mother.

I'd tend to think that Sam got the powers from his mother. If we assume that dad was a regular guy and the big bad took the mom for a reason, then maybe the reason is she was sensitive in some way to the supernatural.

Besides, Dean's bond is with the father and Sam doens't get along with dad so he needs a bond to the mom.

Will be interesting to see how they develop his powers. Just dreams or clairvoyance and foretelling while awake?

ShadowMaat
November 15th, 2005, 06:47 PM
I'd tend to think that Sam got the powers from his mother. If we assume that dad was a regular guy and the big bad took the mom for a reason, then maybe the reason is she was sensitive in some way to the supernatural.
Actually, that would be my natural inclination- that he got it from Mom. But then why Dad's conviction that he can't go near his sons? And if Jessica's death is supposed to parallel what happened to Mum and Dad.... I dunno. More viewing will be necessary. :)

Incidentally, I think it's of EXTREME importance that all hell broke loose in Sam's room. Especially now that we know what we know. :)

Jeffer
November 15th, 2005, 07:04 PM
yes and now that we have this back story that we so sorly needed now the only bad thing is if the show gets canclled after this season we may never know the whole story

yaaayoubetcha
November 15th, 2005, 07:09 PM
But then why Dad's conviction that he can't go near his sons? And if Jessica's death is supposed to parallel what happened to Mum and Dad.... I dunno. More viewing will be necessary. :)

I think the revelation about mom/jessica will be when we find out why dad decided to go into hiding. Now that we know dad's definately alive but unwilling to talk to the kids, I think something he learned about Mom and the baddy will tie into the kids as well and thru Sam into Jessica...hmm...6 degrees of demon Bacon.

This was a great hook ep for me. I'd been seriously debating dropping the show, but now, I think I'm good for the rest of the season.

ShadowMaat
November 15th, 2005, 07:22 PM
This was a great hook ep for me. I'd been seriously debating dropping the show, but now, I think I'm good for the rest of the season.
It was a GREAT hook (and miles better than the Hookman), but unfortunately next week's ep looks to be back to the ridiculous again. *sigh*

Naeara
November 15th, 2005, 09:18 PM
It was a GREAT hook (and miles better than the Hookman), but unfortunately next week's ep looks to be back to the ridiculous again. *sigh*

We don't get the preview up here. Can anyone tell me what was shown?

Jeffer
November 16th, 2005, 02:16 AM
its called ashylm(sp?) and i think Sam becomes possesed

ShadowMaat
November 16th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Asylum! Haunted mental hospital where, no doubt, horrible atrocities were committed and the twisted spirits of the asylum's dead patients linger on, one of them becoming powerful enough to possess Sam and try to convince him to kill Dean. :rolleyes:

LtColCarter
November 16th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Asylum! Haunted mental hospital where, no doubt, horrible atrocities were committed and the twisted spirits of the asylum's dead patients linger on, one of them becoming powerful enough to possess Sam and try to convince him to kill Dean. :rolleyes:

I have a theory on why the critter possesses Sam. It hink it has to do with his budding senses (since we don't know exactly what his powers are). However...I looks like the show's writers are starting to branch out with some original episodes! I think using urban legends in the beginning was to draw people in...and now they are branching out! I just hope it keeps on branching to season 2...etc (of course...as long as the writing is good).:o

ShadowMaat
November 16th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Naturally it has to do with Sam's emerging talents. But "haunted asylum" is one of the oldest tales in the book. Because, ya know, regular scary ghost-demons aren't bad enough- make them MENTAL PATIENTS for an entirely new level of scare! :rolleyes:

In fact, wasn't the Haunting of Hill House about exactly that sort of thing?

yaaayoubetcha
November 16th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Naturally it has to do with Sam's emerging talents. But "haunted asylum" is one of the oldest tales in the book. Because, ya know, regular scary ghost-demons aren't bad enough- make them MENTAL PATIENTS for an entirely new level of scare! :rolleyes:

In fact, wasn't the Haunting of Hill House about exactly that sort of thing?

Now that was a good movie. The original was better than the remake, but I liked them both.

Yes, the premise is a bit played (ok, a lot) but if it's gonna delve into Sam's powers and keep up a bit of character development, I'll go in with an open mind.

Kensterman
November 16th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Did we all see last night's Haunted House episode? It wasn't that bad actually for a change. Mind you the plot was not the most original, but at least there wasn't any bad parts to it.

andromeda_fate
November 16th, 2005, 08:14 AM
BEWARE OF SPOILERS! Do not read below if you do not want to be.... er....spoiled.

Okay here goes my novel. First off I would like to say that FINALLY! a good episode! There were even moments that I actually got creeped out for the first time since watching this show. When the plumber stuck his hand down the disposal I was on edge for the whole five minutes it took for something to actually happen to his hand (this happens to be one of my biggest fears, even when I know the disposal can't turn on I hate reaching down there.)

I do have a few complaints however. The main one being that I thought they had to put those spice thingys in the four corners of every floor. It seems to me that they barely even got one in each floor when everything went crazy and the poltergeist dissappeared.

I also didn't like Dean getting bashed on so much. I don't exactly know why especially because I'm kind of a whumper, but the psychic just didn't seem to like him for some reason and she treated Sam like the golden child (loving J.P. more and more by the way). I think Sam's budding psychic ability may come between the two brothers more and more especially since Sam really isn't into the whole hunting thing like Dean is. I also didn't like how the mom just looked at Dean for a moment and then went straight onto Sam and seemed to care for him more. I was like what the heck!? Pay attention to both your sons (I so called the whole mom thing when Missouri could sense two presences and couln't quite identify the second one.) I didn't think that the mom should have appeared as an evil looking flame demon. I mean she's good right? So why was she haunting the little girls closet? The flames scared her more than anything.

Anyways, some very creepy moments. The minute the chair started moving away from my closet I would have been out of that bedroom and on my way down the street before you could have said BOO! Anyways, and when that kid got stuck in that fridge I was yelling at the T.V. "Check the fridge! Check the fridge!" I was afraid she was going to start looking outside or something and he'd be stuck in there.

Loved how the dad showed up at the end even though all my theories as to where he had gone went out the window. So what truth is he trying to find out? What killed his wife? Why would that cause him to be away from his sons.

So, I loved the episode but I can't help but feel that TPTB are giving us too much too soon. Aren't they gonna run out of back story? It will be interesting to see what new twists they can come up with to keep the show going.

Okay I'm done for now.

SG1SGAp90
November 16th, 2005, 08:24 AM
I like this ep. the best so far it's the most exciting one yet, I liked Missouri the actress that plays her I have heard her voice before she was also on the PJ's and seen her some other good movies and shows but I don't remember what and it would be nice to see missouri and their father again.:)

andromeda_fate
November 16th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Okay, I finally figured out what the heck was bugging me so bad about this episode and the Dean whumping. Normally I would have loved the Dean bashing but somehow it didn't fit right.

This episode should have been about Dean. Dean was the one who was so angsty at the beginning in calling his dad and saying he didn't know what to do. He was the one who didn't want to ever go back. He was the one who was so adamant about no one else dying in that house. He is the one with all the horrible memories about that house and his mom while Sam doesn't even remember that house at all. As much as I loved the new developments about Sam it should have been done in a different episode.

After the original angsty moments Dean was shunted aside. His issues with the house just dissolved but you never got to see them resolved. It would have added so much depth if they would have done it more from his point of view and his anxiety about the house etc.

Does anybody know if the writers have done other shows? They kind of seem like amateurs. They come so close to developing a good story and just miss the mark. They seem inconsistent. (and yet still I watch, I know.) :o And it was a good episode. Better than the others.

ShadowMaat
November 16th, 2005, 12:59 PM
That's a good point about Dean and I think you're right. A lot of spotlight time is already spent on Sam. He's the "normal" one, the hook, the one the audience is supposed to identify with.

But Dean was really upset. He has his own demons hunting him and they're tied to that house. He swore never to return, it would have been nice to see more of that. *sigh*

As for TPTB... I think it's John Shiban's baby. And he wrote some of the most appallingly bad, stereotypical eps of X-Files back in the day. Or I thought they were bad, anyway. I know I recognize some of the other names as being XF alumni, but I wouldn't necessarily call them the good ones. ;)

LtColCarter
November 18th, 2005, 04:14 AM
That's a good point about Dean and I think you're right. A lot of spotlight time is already spent on Sam. He's the "normal" one, the hook, the one the audience is supposed to identify with.

But Dean was really upset. He has his own demons hunting him and they're tied to that house. He swore never to return, it would have been nice to see more of that. *sigh*

As for TPTB... I think it's John Shiban's baby. And he wrote some of the most appallingly bad, stereotypical eps of X-Files back in the day. Or I thought they were bad, anyway. I know I recognize some of the other names as being XF alumni, but I wouldn't necessarily call them the good ones. ;)

I agree...we need more Dean exploration. We know, for the most part, what Sam's demons are...and next week it looks like he gets in touch with his inner demon! ;) However, Dean has always seemed to be the stable, go getter guy...until last week. The writers need to explore this area more!

the fifth man
November 22nd, 2005, 07:39 PM
Man I love this show. Next to Smallville, the best show on the WB, at least IMO. Tonight's episode was pretty sweet. I really liked how the mental patient spirits weren't the bad ones. I look forward to every Tuesday night because of this show. I hope it has a long life. Also, I can't wait to see where things are heading with Sam's abilities. One more thing, I wonder what's going to happen now that their Dad has made contact with them?

ShadowMaat
November 22nd, 2005, 07:49 PM
I just wish all this angsting would actually GO somewhere. We keep seeing eps where the brothers are forced to admit the dark, petty things they keep locked inside them, but we never see them DEAL with it. They always push it aside, brush it away, and go on to something else.

I dunno about you, but if I were Dean, I'd be having some serious issues with myself about the fact that my brother pulled the trigger, fully intending to blow my head off. Under outside influence or not, that would still eat at me- the fact that deep down, SOMETHING had to have motivated him to do that.

And didn't doppel Dean have some awful things to say to Sam a couple weeks back, too? We keep getting these glimpses. I want them to add up. Fast.

Y'know... why Sam is the King of Angst, I think Dean is the one who has deeper levels of trauma and personal issues. He just buries it deep. I want to see more of his vulnerable side. Not to the point where he gets all wishy washy, but just a glimpse inside...

yaaayoubetcha
November 22nd, 2005, 08:04 PM
I just wish all this angsting would actually GO somewhere. We keep seeing eps where the brothers are forced to admit the dark, petty things they keep locked inside them, but we never see them DEAL with it. They always push it aside, brush it away, and go on to something else.

I'm with you on that one. They need to have something....either a resolution or a divide. Personally i'd like to see a divide so that their only motiviation to be together is to find dad, and then have some sort of reconciliation when they finally do.

Doubt they'll go that route. Too far out from the buddy/brother team concept. But still, they have to do something with all the little bits and pieces of unhappiness that are dug up every ep.

Perhaps they'll do town to town therapy sessions for Sam. Would be interesting to see the notes from his session.

LtColCarter
November 23rd, 2005, 06:56 AM

I dunno about you, but if I were Dean, I'd be having some serious issues with myself about the fact that my brother pulled the trigger, fully intending to blow my head off. Under outside influence or not, that would still eat at me- the fact that deep down, SOMETHING had to have motivated him to do that.

And didn't doppel Dean have some awful things to say to Sam a couple weeks back, too? We keep getting these glimpses. I want them to add up. Fast.

Y'know... why Sam is the King of Angst, I think Dean is the one who has deeper levels of trauma and personal issues. He just buries it deep. I want to see more of his vulnerable side. Not to the point where he gets all wishy washy, but just a glimpse inside...

Oh...I agree with you. However, that seems to be typical of men. They may voice the things they have issues with, however, they never deal with them. Its just like..."Woo-hoo! We've said what bothers us! Now lets forget about it!"

I also agree that if I were Dean...I'd have major issues with myself. I think...in a way Sam sees Dean as "Dad."

Speaking of which...I about $he-yut a brick when Sam answered the phone at the end of the episode and says, "Dad?!" Was like why the frack did ya end the episode that way!"

andromeda_fate
November 23rd, 2005, 08:10 AM
I also would think that Dean would have serious issues about Sam shooting him. I think the only reason he gave him the supposedly loaded gun was to test him and see if he actually would pull the trigger.

I also think that Dean is a bit obsessed with doing everything their dad is tells them to. I think Sam has a good point in wondering why their dad just sends them to hunt things and doesn't ever talk to them or meet them in the places he sends them. I know Sam is already pissed with him but if I was Dean I would be starting to question things also. (more thoughts later)

ShadowMaat
November 23rd, 2005, 09:36 AM
Dean is a freak about following Dad's Way because Dad's Way is the only life he's ever known. He wouldn't know how to function in the "normal world" and I think that, deep down, he's afraid he wouldn't be able to cut it.

There's also the fact that as long as they're following Dad's Way, it's keeping Dad alive. You can't question that, you can't risk deviating from that because doing so risks losing Dad forever. Dean worships his father, and not just for the reasons I listed above. Forward momentum is the only thing that keeps him going and if he slows up for a minute, he'll have to deal with all the demons he's been running from and confront the fact that his father might not be coming back. Now, granted, we know better, but Dean doesn't. I think he'd fall apart if anything happened to his father.

I'm also not sure Dean likes being a leader. Sure, it's a role he assumes easily and often, but because it's expected of him; it's what his father would want... and again, it's the only thing he knows how to do.

I dunno, maybe Dean IS all gung ho and living for the chase, but sometimes I think he has doubts... and he's avoiding dealing with that, too.

Or maybe I'm just projecting all kinds of things onto him that aren't there. ;) Maybe appearances are pretty much what we see. But until I hear different, I'm going to assume that Dean is an emotionally complex, very conflicted individual hiding behind a mask of flippancy. :)

andromeda_fate
November 23rd, 2005, 12:56 PM
I think I've figured out what bugs me most about the writing. They tend to develop too much at the beginning of the episode then realize, "oh crap! We're almost out of time!" and then they have to quickly wrap up the ending making you feel unsatisfied, or giving you some "what the heck?" moments.

I used to have this problem in my own writing and am still working to remedy it.
There are quite a few other shows that deal with the paranormal out there that manage to get quite a nice story arc within 45 minutes or so.

Anyways, back to the this weeks show. I've never tried rock salt bullets, but seeing as how it knocked Dean back through a wooden door I would think that it would have penetrated his skin. However, it didn't appear to have done that.
I did like the line when one of the teenagers asked Sam if Dean was his boss. I knew that hit a nerve from the expression on Sam's face.

One last thing. Okay, nobody hate me, I looovvee Jensen Ackles, but I'm begining to think that Jared Padalecki (sp?) may be the better actor.

ShadowMaat
November 23rd, 2005, 02:01 PM
One last thing. Okay, nobody hate me, I looovvee Jensen Ackles, but I'm begining to think that Jared Padalecki (sp?) may be the better actor.
I hate you. :P

Kidding, of course. I just can't get over Jared's dopey cross-eyed look. It grates every time I see him. I also get the feeling that- better actor or not- he's the one who is given a majority of the character development stuff. Dean is just there to ferry Sam from place to place and to make snarky comments. We get occasional glimpses of a deeper Dean (the choked-up call to dad, pleading for help), but it never leads anywhere and in the end, whatever it is, it's all about SAM. :rolleyes:

the fifth man
November 23rd, 2005, 11:10 PM
I just can't wait to see what happens now that they've made contact with their Dad. It should be interesting to see how things develop from now on. What path this show is taking.

LtColCarter
November 26th, 2005, 02:13 PM
I just can't wait to see what happens now that they've made contact with their Dad. It should be interesting to see how things develop from now on. What path this show is taking.

True...I want to know what happens next! But it doesn't look like Supernatural is showing this week.:eek: Is it showing and I just missed the listing? I also don't remember a preview at the end of last week's episode.

yaaayoubetcha
November 26th, 2005, 05:33 PM
True...I want to know what happens next! But it doesn't look like Supernatural is showing this week.:eek: Is it showing and I just missed the listing? I also don't remember a preview at the end of last week's episode.

According to TV Guide online, they're showing Wendigo again.

the fifth man
November 26th, 2005, 10:51 PM
That was a good one. Can't wait for a new ep though.

LtColCarter
November 26th, 2005, 10:56 PM
According to TV Guide online, they're showing Wendigo again.

There is a movie showing here on the WB on Tuesday. So, no episode at all :(

the fifth man
November 26th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Crap, that sucks. I think you're right.

Jonisa
November 27th, 2005, 11:41 AM
There is a movie showing here on the WB on Tuesday. So, no episode at all :(

No new episodes until January, unfortunately.:(

Wendigo is on next week, after that I'm not sure if they're going to repeat some other episodes or show different programming. I'd like them to air the Pilot again, myself.:)

the fifth man
November 27th, 2005, 12:45 PM
January! Oh, man. The injustice of it all!!

LtColCarter
November 28th, 2005, 06:18 AM
January! Oh, man. The injustice of it all!!

Wow! That really stinks! No new SG-1 or SGA until January either! I may go into shock with no new episodes until then!

I was just wondering what would be a good "Christmas" episode of Supernatural? Of course, steering clear of the obvious Christmas Carol type of episode. Anyone have any thoughts?

the fifth man
November 28th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Wow! That really stinks! No new SG-1 or SGA until January either! I may go into shock with no new episodes until then!

I was just wondering what would be a good "Christmas" episode of Supernatural? Of course, steering clear of the obvious Christmas Carol type of episode. Anyone have any thoughts?

And now no new Surface either. What are they trying to do, kill me?

LtColCarter
November 29th, 2005, 06:07 AM
And now no new Surface either. What are they trying to do, kill me?

I know, right! I mean they are taking away our shows! Well, I guess I must revert to DVDs of SG-1 and SGA. Maybe that will help me bridge the gap!

Any ideas on the Supernatural Christmas episode I'd asked about in my last posting?

the fifth man
November 29th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Any ideas on the Supernatural Christmas episode I'd asked about in my last posting?

Maybe not an idea for a whole ep. But definitely a scene. Well, now that their Dad has made contact with them , I picture them all around a tree opening gifts from each other. They all bought each other new weapons for use in "hunting".:)

ShadowMaat
November 29th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Everyone knows that the suicide rate goes up over the holidays. But what if some suicides were... "assisted" by an angry spirit? One tied to Christmas who gains its strength through the increased emotions caused by the holiday season? Or maybe it causes people to go on the rampage.

Or maybe some gremlins infest a holiday display, wreaking havoc. ;)

the fifth man
November 29th, 2005, 06:33 PM

That would be so awesome to see. You know Dean would have some snappy one-liners for those little buggers.

LtColCarter
December 2nd, 2005, 02:44 PM
Everyone knows that the suicide rate goes up over the holidays. But what if some suicides were... "assisted" by an angry spirit? One tied to Christmas who gains its strength through the increased emotions caused by the holiday season? Or maybe it causes people to go on the rampage.

Yeeeesssss....Gremlins! :D Very good idea! ;)

ShadowMaat
December 2nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
Oooo.... Or how about the Little Match Girl? There can be a string of mysterious fires plaguing a small town which all trace back to a little girl who died on Christmas Eve- probably in an arson fire set by some greedyguts Scrooge type who owns half the town and who'd set the fire to get the insurance money, not knowing that the little girl was huddled inside, trying to keep warm...

Naturally, all the fires occur in buildings owned by Scrooge. ;)

the fifth man
December 4th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Oooo.... Or how about the Little Match Girl? There can be a string of mysterious fires plaguing a small town which all trace back to a little girl who died on Christmas Eve- probably in an arson fire set by some greedyguts Scrooge type who owns half the town and who'd set the fire to get the insurance money, not knowing that the little girl was huddled inside, trying to keep warm...

Naturally, all the fires occur in buildings owned by Scrooge. ;)

I like it. You're pretty good at this.:)

LtColCarter
December 7th, 2005, 11:23 AM
I like it. You're pretty good at this.:)

I agree...Shadow should go write some episodes! :D

the fifth man
December 8th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I just can't wait for this show to get going again. Anyone else need a new ep as bad as me?

Jonisa
December 9th, 2005, 03:08 AM
I just can't wait for this show to get going again. Anyone else need a new ep as bad as me?

I do. Definitely. Out of all the scifi/fantasy new shows this year, this is the only one that caught and held my interest. I tried with some of the others, (Surface, Invasion, etc.), but I just couldn't bring myself to care about those shows. I really like the combination of stand-alone stories and the mytharc about the Winchester family.

It's getting hard to avoid spoilers for upcoming episodes, but I'm going to stay strong! I want to be surprised.:D

the fifth man
December 10th, 2005, 11:27 PM
I really like the combination of stand-alone stories and the mytharc about the Winchester family.

It's getting hard to avoid spoilers for upcoming episodes, but I'm going to stay strong! I want to be surprised.:D

I like the overall arc of the show so far too. Especially now that their Dad has made contact . Can't wait to see where things head now.

As for avoiding spoilers, hell, I gotta find some.:)

LtColCarter
December 11th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Too bad they don't have episodes on itunes like they do for surface.

the fifth man
December 11th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Too bad they don't have episodes on itunes like they do for surface.

Huh, I didn't know they had Surface eps on itunes. Interesting.

LtColCarter
December 13th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Huh, I didn't know they had Surface eps on itunes. Interesting.

Yup...there are a few shows that have episodes on itunes...not many and mainly NBC shows.

andromeda_fate
December 14th, 2005, 08:13 AM
I'm enjoying the repeats because I didn't get to watch the first four or five episodes. There was a lot more tension between the brothers earlier on. Especially in Wendigo. I loved it! Anyways can't wait for new eps I just hope I'll be able to watch them!

the fifth man
December 14th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I know I won't miss the new eps. No way, no how. Tuesday nights at 9pm, the WB has me.

CurryBrown
December 31st, 2005, 12:53 PM
Here is some great news Supernatural returns on January 10th with an episode called Scarecrow. Should be really interesting and the following week an episode called Faith. These sound like really good episodes.

the fifth man
December 31st, 2005, 09:44 PM
Here is some great news Supernatural returns on January 10th with an episode called Scarecrow. Should be really interesting and the following week an episode called Faith. These sound like really good episodes.

Sweet!!:D I know I'm excited about its return. Bring on "Scarecrow".

Naeara
January 1st, 2006, 10:21 PM

Excellent! You read my mind. I was just about to go hunting for this info. :D

the fifth man
January 1st, 2006, 10:23 PM
Excellent! You read my mind. I was just about to go hunting for this info. :D

And now we know. Only one day to go.:)

LtColCarter
January 2nd, 2006, 04:59 AM

YAY! I just hope its not a Jeepers Creepers rip off! But who cares...I'd love the show just the same. ;)

the fifth man
January 2nd, 2006, 07:56 PM
YAY! I just hope its not a Jeepers Creepers rip off! But who cares...I'd love the show just the same. ;)

Exactly, this show has a cool way of retelling stories.:)

LtColCarter
January 3rd, 2006, 08:30 AM
Exactly, this show has a cool way of retelling stories.:)

That it does. But who knows, they may have a fresh angle or even original plot line to share with us!:D

CurryBrown
January 10th, 2006, 02:05 PM
New episode tonight I am really excited!

yaaayoubetcha
January 10th, 2006, 05:31 PM
arg!!!

the dialogue is not in synch with the lips!!!

yaaayoubetcha
January 10th, 2006, 05:57 PM
great ep!

good buildup to the expected ending.

glad she's gonna be a recurring character.

ShadowMaat
January 10th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Well, we got our girl. She just not quite what I was expecting. ;)

Got a funny vibe off Dad tonight. Combined with the stuff from the last ep where he says he needs to stay away from his kids to protect them... anyone think the demon might be in dad? Or something? I dunno. The phone call scene just read weird to me.

Which would make chicky babe their sister. Almost fitting, in a way. Though is it DAD Dad who's her dad, or is it the demon part of him?

I dunno. That's all incredibly left field and I'd be very surprised if they went in that direction, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

LOT of inconsistencies inherent in it. LOT of, "Well, if that's true, then what about this?" stuff. Like I said, just an idea.

Didn't like that vibe...

the fifth man
January 10th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Man, this sucks. I didn't see the show because a Pistons game was on. Not that I don't like my team, the Pistons, but now I have to wait until Saturday night to see this ep. It sounds like it was a good one though.

yaaayoubetcha
January 10th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I think dad is getting close to the demon and that's why he's keeping the kids away and so demon dad sent demon daughter out after the boys.

Don't think they're related, but would be an interesting twist.

Will be interesting to see how they play her character. They can't keep having them run into her randomly, so i think they'll either have her revealed to them as a baddy on their level or end up in some sort of team up...her true nature not revealed.

In any event, she had a great line...I have to make a call.

andromeda_fate
January 10th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I was so scared I wouldn't get this channel but I do! Although at a strange and unexpected time. Oh well.
I knew the girl would have some sort of tie in. Although I was thinking that she was something supernatural that Sam was going to help out and in doing so realize that his place was with Dean. I like the new angle much better.
We finally got our girl! I think that they'll probably team up with the girl without them knowing her true nature. That could bring in some interesting dynamics between the brothers with a secrectly evil girl thrown into the mix.
Anyways, I liked how the brothers got separated and seeing Dean kind of working by himself. (by the way I totally and completely take back the comment I made a month or so earlier about Jared Padalecki being the better actor. Jensen Ackles is proving his skills more and more with each passing episode and I am very impressed.)
I was cringing when Dean was trying to convince the couple that they were in danger. I was thinking to myself "Oh no! Where's Sam? Dean is so bad at this." A second later Dean voiced the same thoughts.
I was just wondering at the end where that girl was gonna go? Her parents and her aunt and uncle were dad. Was she being shipped off to yet another relative?
Anyways, next weeks ep looks really good. I can't wait! A week is such a long time.

ShadowMaat
January 10th, 2006, 08:24 PM
They'll team up with demon chick and she'll vamp up to each of them and turn them against each other using her feminine wiles. ;)

As for the apple girl... My first thought was: her parents were a sacrificial couple. ;) Either they didn't know she was with them until after or... I dunno. Just crossed my mind, though, since she wasn't really "local".

andromeda_fate
January 10th, 2006, 08:29 PM
They'll team up with demon chick and she'll vamp up to each of them and turn them against each other using her feminine wiles. ;)

Excellent idea! Now that would make for some interesting brother dynamic! Dean and Sam fighting over a girl who secrectly wants to kill both of them.
Hmmmmm...... now I wonder who would come off the better in a fight. Dean or Sam? And who would be the first to say "Dude, this is stupid. We're fighting over a girl." And which one would take the opportunity, while the other brother was saying the aformentioned line, to shove them through the wall?

LtColCarter
January 11th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Well, I didn't expect the ending last night with the Blondie Chick and The Goblet of Blood! LOL ;) I'm looking forward to seeing where the guys go. So far the only story line that they've carried through is the hunt for Dad. It will be nice to see a continuation of a story line like this.:sam:

Jeffer
January 11th, 2006, 08:04 AM
my thought is that the Chick is working for the Demon that killed the mother and Jessica but that scean was quite intense

Arative
January 11th, 2006, 08:36 AM
If the new demon girl joins Sam and Dean, I couldn't see Sam fighting over her, considering that Sam just buried his girlfriend 6 months ago. I'm sure Dean will hit on her though, since he seems to hit on anything with a pulse.

I'd like to know more backstory about why the demon is hunting them. Is it because Dad and boys have been destorying so much evil or is something else going on? Because I thought from the episode where they went home that Dad didn't start demon hunting until after the Mom died but I could be wrong about that.

andromeda_fate
January 11th, 2006, 11:36 AM
If the new demon girl joins Sam and Dean, I couldn't see Sam fighting over her, considering that Sam just buried his girlfriend 6 months ago. I'm sure Dean will hit on her though, since he seems to hit on anything with a pulse.

I'd like to know more backstory about why the demon is hunting them. Is it because Dad and boys have been destorying so much evil or is something else going on? Because I thought from the episode where they went home that Dad didn't start demon hunting until after the Mom died but I could be wrong about that.
You're right, Dean does hit on anything with a pulse. It's part of his er.. charm.

You're right that Dad didn't start demon hunting until after his wife died. I actually went on the Supernatural website one time and read through the dad's journal they have on there (hey I was bored) It took him awhile to convince himself that he really had seen his wife suspended from the ceiling. It sounds like he hadn't really beleived in that sort of thing before. Then he started seeing psychics but they were all frauds until he found Missouri (remember her?) It talks about how he wasn't sure he could trust her until the boys met her and how Dean started talking a lot to her when he had barely talked since his mom died and how Sam loved being on her lap. That convinced Dad to trust Missouri - Missouri told Dad about the evil force in the house where the mother had died and thus the hunt began.

It also says in the journal how he always felt like something was watching his boys and how he wanted to protect them. Reading that journal actually helped me gain some insight to the show and gave it a little more depth. I wish they would incorporate those thoughts into the actual show. It would definitely add more sympathy for the characters and add more layers.

HirogenGater
January 11th, 2006, 11:47 AM
This is fast becoming on of my favorite shows. I missed a few eps when I moved to a new state. Is this demon girl a new character? Did she appear in a previous episode? Her apperance threw me for a loop. That scarecrow was freaky!

ShadowMaat
January 11th, 2006, 12:20 PM
DarkWillow is definitely New Girl on Campus. We haven't seen her before, but I KNOW we'll be seeing her again.

And I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of Sam developing "feelings" for her. They definitely seemed to share a connection (even if she forged it) and she knew exactly what buttons to push in order to make him like/trust her.

Do you think she was serious about wanting to escape her "family"? I mean, yes, obviously that was said to dupe Sam, but in these sorts of situations, there's invariably a grain of truth in them. So part of the arc could be trying to convince DarkWillow that she really CAN break away from her family and do what SHE wants... which will hopefully involve not killing Dean and Sam.

Oh, and in a showdown, Sam would definitely get the girl.

Poor Dean. :(

andromeda_fate
January 11th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Darkwillow? Is that her real name or one you just gave her? I can't remember what her name was in the show.
As for Sam getting the girl, in general I would agree but it would depend on the girl and her personality.

ShadowMaat
January 11th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I'm just calling her DarkWillow 'cause the whole Goblet of Blood thing reminded me a bit of Buffy's Willow when she went Darkside.

Except, of course, this chicky is blonde. ;)

yaaayoubetcha
January 11th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I don't think DarkWillow is trying to escape DemonDad. I think it was the ploy to get in with Sam. I imagine she was told to expect to meet him after a rift and played on that. Assuming she had just made a blood cell call to dad.

I think if she'd found Dean, she'd have had an equally compelling story/conversation to get close to him.

In any event, I can't wait to see how they develop her and whether the person/thing at the other end of the pestle was really her dad or if father was an honorific.

ShadowMaat
January 11th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Oh, I KNOW she was just saying that to gain Sam's sympathy. But I also think it's possible there might be a grain of truth to her comments, or that she could be made to reconsider her... life path.

yaaayoubetcha
January 11th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Oh, I KNOW she was just saying that to gain Sam's sympathy. But I also think it's possible there might be a grain of truth to her comments, or that she could be made to reconsider her... life path.

would be a good resolution to her character...

dad couldn't save mom...
sam couldn't save girlfriend...

together the 'convert' the daughter of the demon they're hunting.

andromeda_fate
January 11th, 2006, 08:45 PM
So, if you were a girl in supernatural world and Dean and Sam were coming to the rescue, which brother would you get closer to and why?

ShadowMaat
January 11th, 2006, 08:48 PM
So, if you were a girl in supernatural world and Dean and Sam were coming to the rescue, which brother would you get closer to and why?
Dean. He's more attractive and he's more emotionally complex. I liked closed characters like him because there is SO much more going on beneath the surface than you ever see. I wanna crack his shell and see what his real, inner self is like.

yaaayoubetcha
January 12th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Dean. He's more attractive and he's more emotionally complex. I liked closed characters like him because there is SO much more going on beneath the surface than you ever see. I wanna crack his shell and see what his real, inner self is like.

If i was a girl...i'd agree with the above.

Sam is way too much of an 'in touch with his feelings 90s' guy to be more than friend material.

Give me the puzzle to solve.

HirogenGater
January 12th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Anyone heard if this is coming out on DVD soon?

andromeda_fate
January 12th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I would choose Dean too. (Sorry Sam) So many fun layers to peel away and it would make you feel more special knowing that he trusted you enough to reveal some of those layers. Sam would be a great guy friend though.

ShadowMaat
January 12th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Sam is too much the martyred melodrama. Hate it. I'd just put on my headphones and bop out to my iPod while he prattled on about what a rough life he's had and all the pressure his dad and brother put on him, whine, whine, girlfriend murdered by demon, whine.

Thanks but no thanks.

yaaayoubetcha
January 12th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Sam is too much the martyred melodrama. Hate it. I'd just put on my headphones and bop out to my iPod while he prattled on about what a round life he's had and all the pressure his dad and brother put on him, whine, whine, girlfriend murdered by demon, whine.

Thanks but no thanks.

As i'm fond of saying...

Life sucks...get a helmet, Sam.

I know it's WB so we're supposed to expect some teen angst...but neither are teens and hopefully they'll move him along during the rest of the season....get a bit of reconciliation with dad...have a bonding moment with dean...

andromeda_fate
January 12th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Actually I don't think Sam's that whiney. I mean he has his moments like when he suggested that Dean's pain in seeing their mother's death didn't compare to his girlfriends or how sometimes he thinks his dad doesn't understand him or sometimes when he...... okay maybe a little whiney. But I feel bad for the guy. It seems like he gets bashed on a lot.

Arative
January 13th, 2006, 08:14 AM
The thing I picked up on the episode about Sam, is that he always questions, always asking Why. Dean doesn't question, he just does what he is told.

When Dad told Sam to go to that small town, he was like Why? We need to come to you.

Dad told Dean to go and he was like, yes sir, right away.

Thats really the major difference between the two of them I think and one that I think will become a real major source of conflict between the two but in the end, they remember they are brothers.

andromeda_fate
January 13th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Okay, so I was reading up on some gossip while waiting for this forum to load (which it didn't at the time incidentally did anyone else have problems?)
Anyways I was reading about 2005's breakout hotties, hoping to see our favorite Winchester brother on there. Well, there was a Winchester brother mentioned. Only it wasn't Dean, it was Sam! So now i don't feel sorry for him any more. He seems to be getting a lot more press than Jensen Ackles. They must not pay attention to the fans very much because all I've heard about is Dean from the fans. Anyways just thought I'd mention that.

ShadowMaat
January 13th, 2006, 07:35 PM
That's because everyone loves the soft-headed- I mean, soft-hearted sentimental type, which is what Sam is.

I prefer a little edge to my guys. And a snarky sense of humor. ;)

GATEGOD
January 13th, 2006, 08:28 PM
i can now say this show has "got" me.. i find myself watching whenver its on seems k00l

andromeda_fate
January 13th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I prefer a little edge to my guys. And a snarky sense of humor. ;)
Ditto!! (kind of like another guy I know from another show I love:sheppard: );) ;)

andromeda_fate
January 15th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Okay, so I saw a preview for some of the new supernatural shows and it looked like Dean might be getting some action. Like some serious action. Hmmmmm.....

CurryBrown
January 16th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I have read the spoilers and you are correct in Dean getting some action. Does that bother you?

yaaayoubetcha
January 16th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I have read the spoilers and you are correct in Dean getting some action. Does that bother you?

nah...he's pretty tightly wound....needs something help him look a lot more relaxed.

andromeda_fate
January 16th, 2006, 07:09 PM
No, I was just thinking that Dean finally gets the girl! (Of course in Supernatural world she's probably an evil soul sucking temptress just wanting to drain his life force. But hey at least he gets some!);) ;)

the fifth man
January 16th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I just got to see "Scarecrow" the other day. Man, this was a good ep. Loved the introduction of that strange-a** girl. Wonder what will come of this little plot development? I really think the WB has another hit on it's hands.

CurryBrown
January 17th, 2006, 09:43 AM
No, I was just thinking that Dean finally gets the girl! (Of course in Supernatural world she's probably an evil soul sucking temptress just wanting to drain his life force. But hey at least he gets some!)

Well actually SPOILER - Don't read if you don't want to read

The girl Dean is with is his ex girlfriend Cassi who is bi-racial, they meet her in the upcoming episode called Route 666. When he sees her again this brings out some old feelings.

END SPOILER

andromeda_fate
January 17th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Wow! I never thought Dean was normal enough to have (or want) a serious girlfriend. Just another layer...

CurryBrown
January 17th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Well the relationship didn't last long because Dean eventually told her the truth on what he does and she dumped hiim because she thought he was lying/full of crap.

Lightsabre
January 17th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Well the relationship didn't last long because Dean eventually told her the truth on what he does and she dumped hiim because she thought he was lying/full of crap.
WHere did you get this info from??

ShadowMaat
January 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM
There are these things called SPOILER TAGS. Try using them, please.

[ spoiler] text [ /spoiler]

yaaayoubetcha
January 17th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Is Leyla also Darla from Angel?

Arative
January 17th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Is Leyla also Darla from Angel?

Yes, Julie Benz played both

the fifth man
January 17th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Pretty good episode. I think this show is definitely starting to establish itself. I'm totally hooked.

andromeda_fate
January 17th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I only got to watch bits and pieces in between American Idol (my room mate loves American Idol and I decided to humour her). So now I have to wait until Sunday to catch the whole episode. Argh! Sunday is so close and yet so far! Why does she have to be so gung ho on American Idol!:mckay:
(Especially when I can't really stand it, or most reality t.v. for that matter.)

CurryBrown
January 18th, 2006, 02:01 AM
I'm sorry that I did not use the spoiler tags that was stupid on my part.

Andromed_fate I hope you don't own a neilson box because what you did last night could really hurt Supernatural in the ratings.

andromeda_fate
January 18th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I'm sorry that I did not use the spoiler tags that was stupid on my part.

Andromed_fate I hope you don't own a neilson box because what you did last night could really hurt Supernatural in the ratings.
Neilson box? What's that? (Obviously I don't own one.)

yaaayoubetcha
January 18th, 2006, 06:17 PM
neilson boxes track what a household watches.

for ratings and whatnot....

andromeda_fate
January 18th, 2006, 08:59 PM
neilson boxes track what a household watches.

for ratings and whatnot....
and how do you go about getting one? Or are you just randomly selected. Perhaps they put one in television sets without even notifying the owners. The media is very sneaky you know.

yaaayoubetcha
January 19th, 2006, 05:20 AM
and how do you go about getting one? Or are you just randomly selected. Perhaps they put one in television sets without even notifying the owners. The media is very sneaky you know.

i'm more worried about that the govt sneaks into my tv :)

i don't know how to go about getting on the neilson list...never really thought much about it.

ShadowMaat
January 19th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Oh yeah, so if Supernatural gets cancelled, we'll know who to blame. :rolleyes: Melodrama much?

Anyway, I really liked the ep. Only just caught up on it (and I don't own a Nielsen box, so if the show dies, it ain't my fault :P) and it was quite... moving. I mean, on the one hand, I'm a little disappointed that Dean was so easily healed- especially after such a dramatic injury- but on the other... I like the way it all worked out.

Heavy overtones of X-Files on the whole faith healer/back magic thing, but they made it work for them and Jensen was once again outstanding in this ep. He even managed to ease off on his usual (and somewhat charming) letchiness a bit to feel real empathy for Leyla and her plight. Didn't think much of the look of the reaper (bad make-up job and too heavily influenced by Buffy's Gentlemen) but all in all this'll probably rate near the top of my favorites.

Just goes to show you don't have to be high on the gore factor (or even the scare factor) to plot a good story. I hope we see more of this because the emotionally driven stories are by far the best. At least in my un-humble opinion. ;)

andromeda_fate
January 19th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Oh yeah, so if Supernatural gets cancelled, we'll know who to blame. :rolleyes: Melodrama much?

Anyway, I really liked the ep. Only just caught up on it (and I don't own a Nielsen box, so if the show dies, it ain't my fault :P) and it was quite... moving. I mean, on the one hand, I'm a little disappointed that Dean was so easily healed- especially after such a dramatic injury- but on the other... I like the way it all worked out.

Heavy overtones of X-Files on the whole faith healer/back magic thing, but they made it work for them and Jensen was once again outstanding in this ep. He even managed to ease off on his usual (and somewhat charming) letchiness a bit to feel real empathy for Leyla and her plight. Didn't think much of the look of the reaper (bad make-up job and too heavily influenced by Buffy's Gentlemen) but all in all this'll probably rate near the top of my favorites.

Just goes to show you don't have to be high on the gore factor (or even the scare factor) to plot a good story. I hope we see more of this because the emotionally driven stories are by far the best. At least in my un-humble opinion. ;)
I totally agree. One of my favorite episodes was the boy in the lake one. Very low gore factor and imo the best as far as overall story arc, character development (loved dean's interaction with the little boy), and surprising lack of "what the heck!?" moments that were so prominent during the first half of the season.
I can't wait until Sunday so I can see the latest episode! I'm so mad I had to watch American Idol! Heaven bless repeats.:)

darman
January 19th, 2006, 09:55 PM
The strange thing about this show is when I see a preview for a particular episode I'm thinking: "Oh, this one's going to be stupid and boring." I'm always proven wrong.

Elwe Singollo
January 19th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Although I love Julie B. in the most recent episode, i thought the episode itself was stupid... It had little moments i liked, but the episode as a whole wasn't appealing as past episodes.

yaaayoubetcha
January 20th, 2006, 07:19 AM
I like these eps because they're somewhat CSI like...
by that I mean...in CSI, they never arrest the right guy first...

In this ep...and hookhand and the like...you know it's not the obvious target and must work thru who the controlling power/real baddy is...

ok...so it wasn't that hard in this one....but still....the story was fun.

when first saw the reaper...i turned to my wife and said...i'd get outta town before he opens his box....took her a second to get it...as shadow said above...very similar to the Gentlemen....just not as pale.

andromeda_fate
January 21st, 2006, 01:24 PM
Okay, I'm starting to panic. For some reason our t.v. won't turn on and Sunday is tomorrow and I might miss Supernatural!! *panics*

Jeffer
January 26th, 2006, 08:49 AM
i had my friend Max Bit Torrent tape the show for me i think i missed a week tho i just watched the ep with the Grim reaper

HirogenGater
January 26th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Anyone know what kind of car Sam and Dean travel in?

yaaayoubetcha
January 26th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Anyone know what kind of car Sam and Dean travel in?

i believe....but am not 100% that it's an old Chevy Impaler.