This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Doctor

I was thinking now that we got a folder for Doctor who, we could discuss the different Doctors.

The first Doctor was William Hartnel, what did people think of his performance or the Doctor himself.
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Originally posted by creed462
    I was thinking now that we got a folder for Doctor who, we could discuss the different Doctors.

The first Doctor was William Hartnel, what did people think of his performance or the Doctor himself.
    Considering he was lead in a highly technical series, had the most complicated dialogue, was almost on a weekly schedule, and was suffering from a medical condition at the time...he was awesome!

Also consider the amount of episodes he was in...
    Season 1: 42
    Season 2: 39
    Season 3: 45
    Season 4: 08

Many scenes were single shot, so he typically got only one take. Even when he fluffed a line, which happened quite often, he made it part of the performance.

Comment

Took me a while to get used to the cantankerous disposition but he grew on me eventually... I liked the historical ones on his watch as they were especially good. His companions Ian and Barbara are still among my favourites.
      sigpic
      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I loved him in the same way you love an aging member of the family. William Hartnel was suffering some kind of illness for most of his time as Dr Who which I believe is the reason for him forgetting lines and just not always being in the scene. He has over the many years of my re-watching his episodes as the Doctor grown on me. Not my fave but as the first he will always be special.

Now just how many new threads are people going to start on Dr Who?!

Comment

In ways I think his doctor was differnt because his seem to have a lot of pain, and therefore difficult for him to trust others, at first, that aspect changes after the Aztecs

Comment

I thought the First Doctr was good not just because of his use of long words and his crankiness but also he had some of the best episodes to star in. All I can say is 'what a Doc !!!'
            Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
              I thought the First Doctr was good not just because of his use of long words and his crankiness but also he had some of the best episodes to star in. All I can say is 'what a Doc !!!'
              My favorites were The Keys of Marinus, The Time Meddler, The Ark, The Celestial Toymaker, and The War Machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                My favorites were The Keys of Marinus, The Time Meddler, The Ark, The Celestial Toymaker, and The War Machines.
                I liked the Keys of Marinus, in some ways its a foreruner to the Key to time season.

Comment

I liked the Keys of Marinus, in some ways its a foreruner to the Key to time season.
                  The parallels are definitely there.

That's a story I always wished they extended into more episodes.

Good thing about the slower paced 60's eps...they really spent time establishing a new setting. You felt like they could be actual places.

Back then, the characters sat down for a bite to eat, stopped for a change of clothes, or lounged around for some idle chat.

It was a very leisurely feeling that let you soak up the atmosphere before the action started up again and gave you the sense they were real people trying to survive in a strange land.

Comment

Yea it's sad they kind of rush things now, I kind of said that the new seris isn't in serial format

Comment

Yea it's sad they kind of rush things now, I kind of said that the new seris isn't in serial format
                      I haven't seen it yet, but that was my biggest disappointment when I heard about the relaunch. Oh, well, at least it's back.

Comment

Yeah, At least is is it back

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                          The parallels are definitely there.

That's a story I always wished they extended into more episodes.

Good thing about the slower paced 60's eps...they really spent time establishing a new setting. You felt like they could be actual places.

Back then, the characters sat down for a bite to eat, stopped for a change of clothes, or lounged around for some idle chat.

It was a very leisurely feeling that let you soak up the atmosphere before the action started up again and gave you the sense they were real people trying to survive in a strange land.

I agree. I really like how they sat down and actually spent time talking. It really helped you get to know the characters too as well as the places the visited. I kinda miss have historical episodes too. Granted some of them were pretty boring, but I still think it's cool to have them wander around in our history.
                          "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

My fave 1st doctor episodes are
                            The Keys of Marinus, The tenth planet, The Celestial Toymaker, The Dalek invasion of earth and The War Machines.

Edit: Replaced tomb of the cybermen with the tenth planet.
                            Last edited by Metarock Sam; 25 September 2005, 12:07 PM.
                            Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
                              My fave 1st doctor episodes are
                              The Keys of Marinus, The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Celestial Toymaker, The Dalek invasion of earth and The War Machines.
                              Good choices but Tomb of the Cybermen is second doctor. Still a great episode though! And did you actually get to see Celestial Toymaker? If you did I envy you cause I only get to see the fourth episode which is awesome in itself. Been trying to get the audio for it, but college books cost too much.
                              "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

Working...
                              X