This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Wrong with Landry?

Why do so many people dislike Landry? I know he has an audience, but I've seen alot of negative views.
    I saw a scene where Hammond follows SG-1s orders, and then asks why, Landry did the same thing in one ep.
    He so far has been a great leader, making decisions and orders while respecting the personnels' opinion. I like his attitude, he can be both to the point and fun.
    I think Landry is a great general, whats wrong with him?

I think its the Jacket.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

For me it's like I get out of the realm of Stargate because I saw him in other stuff..........(never watched Farscape)..........and he is a perfect mix of Jack and Hammond. I was also wondering this exact same thing about Lam....

Comment

My favorite character on SG-1 was Hammond. However, I fully realize that he's not on the show anymore and would much rather see the show continue with someone else than just stop because some main cast members quit.

But, with that said, I'll explain why Landry is not the right choice as best as I can. First off, he does not seem tough and does not even really act like he's a boss. The tension surrounding Hammond was perfect. Every time Hammond was on screen, he was completly, totally serious because he had the weight of the Earth, and a large influence over the universe on his shoulders. Also, he was constantly aware of the threat of invasion from the Gould.

I never saw a single scene where announcers had to tell Hammond to get to the Gate Room because he was walking around drinking coffee, socializing, or patching things up with family members. It sucks the tension out of the whole SGC. I have yet to see Landry even use THE RED PHONE. The red phone was one of my favorite props. Hammond was constantly calling the President and making HUGE decisions.

Also, Hammond never, EVER talked about personal matters at ALL. It felt right that the person who would lead the planet's first line of defense against alien invasion had pretty much had to put his personal life and family on hold. The ONLY time that I ever even knew that Hammond had a family was when the NID blackmailed him by threatening to kidnap his daughter, and even then, Jack had to go to his house and get the info, Hammond was a very private person. Landry on the other hand, is more about stupid family drama then being a General!! I don't ever want to see another scene between a General and his family, IN the SGC.

Two main examples that spring to mind about why I don't like Landry and why he doesn't seem like General material are:
        -1-First episode, he asks for help on deciding how to position his desk in his office?? The General doesn't go out in the field, his only job and skill is MAKING THE TOUGH DECISIONS!! ...the fact that he can't decide on his office seems to illustrate just how unqualified he really is.
        -2-Next, Carter approaches him urgently telling him that the Tokkra have contacted the SGC with info, and Landry's reply was "well good morning to you too." This was unbearable, Carter should have never told the General news like that. NOTHING SHOULD HAPPEN IN THE SGC WITHOUT THE GENERAL KNOWING ABOUT IT!! Instead, Landry was too busy getting coffee and talking to his daughter, or maybe rearranging his office...he definetly wasn't calling anyone on the red phone.

And this is just off the top of my head, I could write a paper on this subject.

Comment

I think that the best choice for a replacement General is the 2nd informant on the X-Files...The black guy that used to be on 21 Jump St. That is true intensity, not the lazy, relaxed tone of Landry.

Mitch Pelleggi would've been a good candidate also but since he's already established on SGA, it seems less appropriate.

Comment

I like Landry a lot. He seems pretty darn tough to me, and I like knowing something of his personal life. In fact, I wish we'd learn a little bit about Mitchell's personal life too. No, not a ton, just a little bit, like a hobby or was he ever married or *something.* I like that Landry is trying to work things out with his daughter. It's more interesting than just having her be a generic doctor. He changes from being very gruff and military to very proud and sometimes very sweet around her. I think it's lovely. Good acting.

Comment

I don't think anything is wrong with Landry. I like what I've seen out of him so far. He seems like a caring leader. I can't wait to see him develop a bit more though.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Hammond was flexible.
                Landry...beats me.
                Hammond had a cute, leaderly, bulldoggish flair.
                Landry is like a dry peice of cold toast with some butter on it.
                Hammond had a head like a crown of marble.
                Landry wears bomber jackets. *zzzzzzzzzz*
                Hammond knew he was boss.
                Landry seems like he'd rather be elsewhere...
                Hammond said yee haw.
                Landry says... uh... ok, I wasn't really listening.
                Hammond has grandkids who are number one on his speed dial.
                Landry...answers the phone and has an equally dry doc for a kid.

....*scrounges up more negatives*
                TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

What I liked about Hammond
                  sincere, trustworthy, emotionally invested, built in head reflector for a dark night.
                  What I like about Landry
                  humility, inclusiveness in decision process, emotionally supportive, built in spider nest above eyes.

Comment

I for one like Landry, he´s in my oppinion come in strong and so far done a very good job. I like Hammond even better but with him gone for good it´s no use crying over spilled milk, just move on and except the changes.

Comment

I adore Landry. T'is funny, I see it the exact opposite way than Crichton:

Hammond was very, very much a part of the team. He gave everyone a lot of leeway, the way he addressed them and the way he let them address him. Landry isn't. He's impartial, he makes sure everyone knows who the boss is, he doesn't bother nad explain himself too much.

Plus I'm really enjoying his style.

As for the Lam-Landry business, I guess it's a question of whether you like Lam or not... I dunno, I find this whole little comment here and there a very nice way to get to know these people as people. And I want to know these people, and I enjoy watching them, so...
                      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Seeing as generals are people too, they are going to be different and have diffrernt personalities. Hell, Jack is a far different general than Hammond or Landry. When it really comes down to it, he does make the hard decisions. I think they are delving a little deeper into Landry's personal life to differentiate him from Hammond a little bit.
                        I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Sounds like a little bit off-topic, but I still think it was a bad call to bring 'father-daughter in bad terms' plot into the SGC.... What are they supposed to bring out of it? A daughter's continuous rage against her father? A subplot for family reunion cliche later, with daughter's touching forgiveness? Personal aspects keep bugging professionalism? What's the purpose in the first place?
                          Oh god, suddenly I miss Fraiser.

Comment

I do admit that I´m not a fan of things like this but so long as they keep it toned down and in the background I don´t really mind.

They most likely will have some kind of sappy bonding thing were they resolve all their differences (or most of them), this is after all an amerikan show and we all know that amerikans are complete sapps when it comes to things like these.

Comment

*waves* I'm not American and usually roll my eyes at "Americanisms" at telly and I love it!

As I said in my post, I really do see this as a great way to know the characters. Why did we need to hear Hammond talk to his granddaughters? Why did we need to se Jacob Carter not talking to his son, or Sam's anger at her own father? Teal'C and his son? When it's kept in the background, unintrusive, it's a great wya to let us know these characters. After all, we onyl get to see them at work. A lot of people are nasty and evil at work, but great family-people. For SGC personnel it seems to be the other way round... anyhow it's a fast way for good character development for two new characters.
                              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                              Yes, I am!
                              sigpic
                              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                              X