This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateworld Ads cause Firefox to Use up to 72% of you CPU Fix in Here

Here download Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 lastest build Here and then download the extension for firefox Here and no more stupid ads that slow down your computer

The ads we run are generally basic images, JavaScript, and occasionally Flash. The impact on page loading or site performance should be minor. If your computer is actually slowing down, or Firefox is showing that much of your system resources being used, there is definitely something else going on with your system.

Also keep in mind that if you disable ads using the ad-blocker extension, GateWorld is deprived of the revenue those ad impressions generate.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

It's the latest build of Firefox, there is a memory leak. I rolled back to an earlier version and haven't had that problem since. Perhaps you should try that too?

Comment

I have noticed it has been taking up a lot of memory but it hasnt caused my any problems
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

To tell the truth the GateWorld Ads dont really bother me! I have gotten use to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
            The ads we run are generally basic images, JavaScript, and occasionally Flash. The impact on page loading or site performance should be minor. If your computer is actually slowing down, or Firefox is showing that much of your system resources being used, there is definitely something else going on with your system.

Also keep in mind that if you disable ads using the ad-blocker extension, GateWorld is deprived of the revenue those ad impressions generate.

Upgrading to Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 (Deer Park) or Firefox 1.0.7 will resolve this issue

Comment

i for one even have the issue in IE. a couple of the flash ads bog down my puter here at work. especially one of the invasion ones. I'll sit here for a full minute or two waiting for somthing from 'google2syndication' to load before teh rest of the page will. i'm wondering if they're on a really slow server on google's end or something.

I don't mind the graphical ones, but the flash ones are a bugger. If i surf gateworld at home, i have to not do anything else, even run word. and i have a nice fast puter with 512 of ram

Flash was not designed for anyone not on a cable or dsl. And since i'm in the world of dialup, there are a LOT of sites that i just don't visit anymore since they overrun thier sites with flash

I'm all for getting the ad revenue. this is a good thing, i just wish there was a compromise.
              Last edited by Skydiver; 21 September 2005, 07:51 AM.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                i for one even have the issue in IE. a couple of the flash ads bog down my puter here at work. especially one of the invasion ones. I'll sit here for a full minute or two waiting for somthing from 'google2syndication' to load before teh rest of the page will. i'm wondering if they're on a really slow server on google's end or something.

I don't mind the graphical ones, but the flash ones are a bugger. If i surf gateworld at home, i have to not do anything else, even run word. and i have a nice fast puter with 512 of ram

Flash was not designed for anyone not on a cable or dsl. And since i'm in the world of dialup, there are a LOT of sites that i just don't visit anymore since they overrun thier sites with flash

I'm all for getting the ad revenue. this is a good thing, i just wish there was a compromise.
                Yes, I'm not a fan of flash ads. If you're on dial-up, they're a pain in the ass (let's not muck around with words, they are). Not everybody has cable or DSL, but even on cable, GW is a slower forum than all other forums I visit. I don't know why, but it is, and it's the ONLY site that can kick me off I.E. Maybe it's all the flash crud.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                  Upgrading to Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 (Deer Park) or Firefox 1.0.7 will resolve this issue
                  I am running Deer Park and the only time I ever have any issue with Firefox using a lot of my CPU is on GateWorld maybe it's not the ads but it has something to do with GateWorld I have never been able to log off with out error either whether I am at school on a PC using IE or on a MAC at school using IE or at home using Firefox or IE, GateWorld has serious Bugs, I don’t really Mind the Memory leak on deer Park cause I have 768MB of RAM, but my processor maxing out because I’m on GateWorld using Firefox and it’s using 72% of the cpu does cause a problem

BTW it's not the loading that causes the problem it is using 60% - 70% of the CPU just sitting there doing nothing and since I have installed Adblock I haven't had the problem

Comment

Do the flash ads pay more? Is there a reason why they can't be eliminated entirely? I prefer the static ads. They load faster and they aren't as distracting.

Comment

Is FF supposed to use 70mb of your computer memory?

sigpic
                      Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                      Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        Do the flash ads pay more? Is there a reason why they can't be eliminated entirely? I prefer the static ads. They load faster and they aren't as distracting.
                        That’s why advertisers like them the whole point is to be distracting, and thats why I hate advertisers

Comment

Can't say I've noticed any problems with Firefox, but I don't pay attention to CPU rates and memory and whatnot. All I know is that IE made my browser crash when I tried to post stuff, so if there's some hang time loading pages with FF, at least it lets me post things.

Which may not be considered a good thing, by some's standards.

Comment

you answered it right there. they're not as distracting. and that's what the advertisors do, they want to distract you, make you look, get your attention.

and since, i'm sure you're like me, i may look at static ads, i rarely read them, i'm not doing what they want.

of course, we also have to consider your garden variety ad executive (who often rivals tv execs in their stupidity level)...how better to impress a client than to overwhelm THEM with flashy stuff. and when the people making these ads make them on nice 3 gig puters with a gig of ram running off a t-line, they rarely if ever stop to consider that you do need to accomodate the fokls on dialup running windows 2000
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I resent the distraction. That makes me less inclined to click on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X