Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The wraith might be able to gain info by feeding.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wraith might be able to gain info by feeding.

I know there's been many similar threads but I thought I would start 1 on this topic because of this quote from McKay's journal in the latest issue of the stargate sg1 mag: "They (wraith) can even invade the minds of those they are feeding on and suck out information along with the life force. This is how they learned from Col. Sumner, of the existance of Earth, and another whole galaxy of humans herds."

Just some things I don't understand about that statement:

1. If that's so, why isn't wraith technology as advanced as ancient and why did the keeper only get a small amount of info from Sumner and all this was before she started to feed on him.
    2. When Shep arrived the intrrogation was over, but from Teyla sga learned that the wraith knew about earth and Shep figured out this was by the keeper interrgating Sumner, but why does McKay think this must means the wraith know there's humans all over the galaxy? Is it a assumption he makes or has the writer of the article got it wrong?

What's your thoughts on this because it goes against what I've seen in sga?
    sigpic

perhabs they can only accsess a protion of there mind like i ask you don't think aobut the Red car you think about the red car so its in the front of you mind maybe they could only interigate a handfull of Ancients. And only got little bits of info from each of them
    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
    sigpic

Comment

That's a good explanation, exspecially as the wraith can only feed on a person for a certain amount of time until they die, there's no way they can get everything in that's person's mind in that time. Still the keeper did get the info before she started feeding.
      sigpic

Comment

she new about earth but to find out how many ppl there really are she had to feed on him also the Ancient minds would be more developed then ours which might mean that they were only able to gain portions of there knoweldge through fedding one them
        Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
        sigpic

Comment

Can Wraith even feed on Ancients? I don't remember that they have ever explained this in the show. From my understanding Ancients are different to Humans on the DNA level so in theory Wraith cannot feed on them. Also Wraith evolved from Humans not Ancients isn't that why they can only feed on Humans.
          "They dyed me this colour!"
          Ossie Davis
          Bubba Ho-tep

Comment

i don't think they have explained this but their DNA was similar to ours which leads me to think that they would be able to feed on them. i also think they would be able to feed on any humniod life form exclude Foothold Aliens and Asgard
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah they should just have a cross over episode where Teal'c somehow gets feed upon by a Wraith. That will explain a little bit but probably not that much. Silly sci-fi its so complex!!!
              Ossie Davis
              Bubba Ho-tep

Comment

If they had a Wriath feed on an Asgard then i think that would mean more because it would pretty much say that they can feed on any huminoid
                sigpic

Comment

It's pretty obvious to me at least that the Keeper from Rising was anything but a normal run of the mill Wraith. Her colouring, powers, position are all different. I'd suggest that her mindscanning/compelling powers were much more advanced than those of other Wraith. If they weren't well, somebody would have been psychically forced to shoot themselves by a Wraith by now, like say, the guards who were guarding Steve. Regular Wraith seem to be limited to the "mental illusions" trick.

Perhaps McKay was desribing the less advanced abilities of normal Wraith and just using the Keeper as an analogy. In other words all Wraith can "invade minds" while feeding. A Keeper level Wraith also can but doesn't really have to though either since she can force them to tell her things as well.

Sumner also seemed to be putting in an awful lot of resistence to the Keepers spoken questions. Maybe she had to feed on him to get more detailed information like that Atlantis was the team's base of operations and the special gate there was the only one capable of getting to Earth. The Wraith seemed to find out both of these somehow and neither was a question that Sumner was asked, though the base thing could just have been an obvious guess.

Lucky for them though Shep must have shot Sumner before she found out they had no shields or defences at that time and were all just begging to be slaughtered and their city taken over.

I'm more than a little interested as to how McKay learned diddly about the whole thing though given he was there for exactly none of it, Sheps mission report maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
                    I know there's been many similar threads but I thought I would start 1 on this topic because of this quote from McKay's journal in the latest issue of the stargate sg1 mag: "They (wraith) can even invade the minds of those they are feeding on and suck out information along with the life force. This is how they learned from Col. Sumner, of the existance of Earth, and another whole galaxy of humans herds."

Just some things I don't understand about that statement:

1. If that's so, why isn't wraith technology as advanced as ancient and why did the keeper only get a small amount of info from Sumner and all this was before she started to feed on him.
                    2. When Shep arrived the intrrogation was over, but from Teyla sga learned that the wraith knew about earth and Shep figured out this was by the keeper interrgating Sumner, but why does McKay think this must means the wraith know there's humans all over the galaxy? Is it a assumption he makes or has the writer of the article got it wrong?

What's your thoughts on this because it goes against what I've seen in sga?
                    From Rising, which is the only time we've seen info gained from feeding, it's appears some wraith can compel an answer.
                    But,
                    The info was very limited and also useless. All they learned was that Sumner was from Earth which has a population in the billions.
                    Not very effective for the effort she put in.

Comment

Perhabs there abilities are proptional to how old they are and since from what we know they were pretty young when they were at war with the Ancients they didn't have the Psychic abilities the read there minds
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
                        It's pretty obvious to me at least that the Keeper from Rising was anything but a normal run of the mill Wraith. Her colouring, powers, position are all different. I'd suggest that her mindscanning/compelling powers were much more advanced than those of other Wraith. If they weren't well, somebody would have been psychically forced to shoot themselves by a Wraith by now, like say, the guards who were guarding Steve. Regular Wraith seem to be limited to the "mental illusions" trick.
                        Good point, I noticed that too, maybe it's a skill they can learn or only some wraith like those at the top like the keeper and the 1 from condemned possibly have coloured hair and the ability to get some info from ppl without feeding.
                        Spoiler:
                        The wraith in the hive makes Shep kneel like the keeper did and she's female, so maybe it's something only female wraith can do

Perhaps McKay was desribing the less advanced abilities of normal Wraith and just using the Keeper as an analogy. In other words all Wraith can "invade minds" while feeding. A Keeper level Wraith also can but doesn't really have to though either since she can force them to tell her things as well.
                        Another good point, that might explain it exspecially as McKay wasn't there so he might assume that's how the wraith got the info from Sumner, by feeding on him. Maybe he doesn't know thw keeper forced stuff out of Sumner before she started feeding on him and as Sumner wouldn't give info otherwise he persumes it was only by feeding.

Sumner also seemed to be putting in an awful lot of resistence to the Keepers spoken questions. Maybe she had to feed on him to get more detailed information like that Atlantis was the team's base of operations and the special gate there was the only one capable of getting to Earth. The Wraith seemed to find out both of these somehow and neither was a question that Sumner was asked, though the base thing could just have been an obvious guess.
                        She did ask Shep where he got the life signs dectector from as if she recongnised it and the wraith from the defiant one also recongnised Ancient technology. You might still be right through or maybe McKay just misunderstood what happened.

Lucky for them though Shep must have shot Sumner before she found out they had no shields or defences at that time and were all just begging to be slaughtered and their city taken over.
                        Yeah that was lucky, just so happened the wraith are a patient race giving sga time to prepare, otherwise the series would have been over very soon!

I'm more than a little interested as to how McKay learned diddly about the whole thing though given he was there for exactly none of it, Sheps mission report maybe?
                        I assumed that when I read the articule. Apparantly that includes video image of Sumner being fed on and of wraith from 38 mins! There's pics in the articule on those events which look like it was taken with a hidden camera. Don't remember any1 holding a camera filming it as it was happening unless ppl are equiped with a small hidden camera which wasn't mentioned yet. Probably just added in to make the articule more interesting.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
                          Good point, I noticed that too, maybe it's a skill they can learn or only some wraith like those at the top like the keeper and the 1 from condemned possibly have coloured hair and the ability to get some info from ppl without feeding.
                          Spoiler:

The wraith in the hive makes Shep kneel like the keeper did and she's female, so maybe it's something only female wraith can do
                          Spoiler:
                          The interesting thing about that Wraith in the preview though is that she looks more like one of the bog standard "Steve" Wraith than like the Rising Keeper. We've never seen another blue redheaded one other than her. The more the series progresses the more it's starting to look like Shep basically killed their queen/president/etc or at least the only one of their species that had discovered hair dye.

As far as the compelling goes it's also worth noting that Sumner tried to fight back briefly before she touched him but got stopped when she made him kneel. This is obviously not something we've ever seen another Wraith do. They just slap their hand on the guy and physically overpower him. The keeper didn't have to physically struggle with Sumner at all, she just paralized him mentally. It goes without saying that if all Wraith could do this there'd probably be a lot more dead team members by now.

Another good point, that might explain it exspecially as McKay wasn't there so he might assume that's how the wraith got the info from Sumner, by feeding on him. Maybe he doesn't know thw keeper forced stuff out of Sumner before she started feeding on him and as Sumner wouldn't give info otherwise he persumes it was only by feeding.
                          That's a good point. If McKay got all this second hand somehow it's possible, and I'd even venture likely, that he didn't get all the gory details about exactly how it happened. It's possible also that Shep or whoever might have said something like "she read his mind" to make it seem less for the record like Sumner "broke" or "gave it up" under interrogation and more like the Wraith just cheeted the info out of him.

She did ask Shep where he got the life signs dectector from as if she recongnised it and the wraith from the defiant one also recongnised Ancient technology. You might still be right through or maybe McKay just misunderstood what happened.
                          I agree that the "they're on atlantis" is kind of a no brainer but we do know that there's other Ancient stuff lying around in pegasus like the weapon platform from trinity so there might be several places were you could potentially find a scanner like that.

The knowing about the special gate is harder to explain though. If I remember right Teyla said after one of her hivemind hack sessions that the Wraith knew somehow that Atlantis had the only gate that could get them to Earth. It's possible that they could have just guessed this but that's not really what's implied by the phrase "they know" as opposed to something like "they think". I don't really remember how the line went though so it could go either way I guess.

Yeah that was lucky, just so happened the wraith are a patient race giving sga time to prepare, otherwise the series would have been over very soon!
                          Realistically speaking that's probably exactly what should have happened given they way their presence was blown by getting those people captured and by trying to rescue them loaded down with ancient technology... and then getting that captured right before giving the space vampires a reason to really hate their guts.

Of course showing how a bunch of people screwed up and dropped the shields of the sacred city and then woke up the sleeping space vampires so they could finally get into it after 10,000 years doesn't exactly set them up as very root worthy heroes.

That would be a screwup of such magnitude that that entire region of the universe would probably be feeling the sting for 1000s of years.

I assumed that when I read the articule. Apparantly that includes video image of Sumner being fed on and of wraith from 38 mins! There's pics in the articule on those events which look like it was taken with a hidden camera. Don't remember any1 holding a camera filming it as it was happening unless ppl are equiped with a small hidden camera which wasn't mentioned yet. Probably just added in to make the articule more interesting.
                          Those paparazzi sure do get around don't they. They were probably camped out hoping the Wraith Keeper decided to sun bathe nude or something.

My god, the scandal could have rocked the Wraith community to it's core!

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
                            Those paparazzi sure do get around don't they. They were probably camped out hoping the Wraith Keeper decided to sun bathe nude or something.

My god, the scandal could have rocked the Wraith community to it's core!
                            Ahahahahaha. Thats funny as dude. This week in Life Sucking Weekly our Keeper as you have never seen her BEFORE!!!
                            Ossie Davis
                            Bubba Ho-tep

Comment

Originally posted by 38_Minutes
                              Ahahahahaha. Thats funny as dude. This week in Life Sucking Weekly our Keeper as you have never seen her BEFORE!!!
                              lol

Wraith steve and Wraith Bob looking at the mag WOW look at the feeding hand on that one
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X