This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why wasn't the shield activated?

In siege part 1 and two, when there was no Z.P.M, why wasn't the shield activated in some areas?
    And before you bite my head off about "they didn't have enough power" i agree. The didn't have enough power to completly activate the shield, but rodney said in one episode that they can activate parts of the shield using the naquidah generators (i think it is from the storm).

rodney said in the storm that they could hook up the generators, but all it will do is hardly anything, i will last for about a second, maybe less according to him

parts of the shield im not sure about that

Comment

in the storm, zelenka said "yes he has a point" and rosney replies "yes we can power the shield to selected areas, but those not shieldedwould face the full force of the storm and the city fails anyway" (well rodney didn't say that exactly but it has the same general idea).

Comment

The wraith would have destroyed the unshielded areas causing the city to become unstable
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

McKAY: I’ve already thought of it – it doesn’t ... Yes, the naqahdah generators could be used to power select sections of the city but when you subtract the areas that need to be secured just to protect themselves, it doesn’t leave much power to shield anything else and the city breaks apart because of a tidal swell.
          ZELENKA: We could relocate some of them – put them closer together.
          McKAY (sarcastically): You’re right – if only we had a magical tool that could slow down time. I foolishly left mine on Earth – did you bring yours?!
          If any part of the city is destroyed, its likely that the whole thing would sink.
          sigpic

Comment

Lightning powered the shield in the second half of the storm(The Eye). They did not have any way to store the extra power from the lightning. In the first two Siege shows they did not have any way to power the shields for the whole city and damage from the unprotected part of the city would ultimately effect the rest of the city.
            "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
            'Eleanor Roosevelt'
            Individuality is freedom lived.
            'Janis Joplin'

Comment

but they could dial earth for a limited time. maybe running all the generators and using all the jumpers power sources, they may have been able to raise the shield enough to save te majority of the city. and Qasim, the wraith aren't interested in destroying the city.

Comment

well it would have been pointless waisting all their power trying to put a small shield up and they turned out fine in the end anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                  well it would have been pointless waisting all their power trying to put a small shield up and they turned out fine in the end anyway
                  but they didn't know that at first. And if you put a shield up that prevented the darts entering the city, and something that can take most of the hiveships gunpower 4 days until the daedalus gets there would be a piece of cake

Comment

but it would only provide protection to certain parts so theyd just fly in from another direction and it would be far weaker than if it was powered by zpms

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                      but it would only provide protection to certain parts so theyd just fly in from another direction and it would be far weaker than if it was powered by zpms
                      i know that. but shielded generator stations and the control tower would be a great advantage

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                        i know that. but shielded generator stations and the control tower would be a great advantage
                        Doubtful. A single section of the city being completely flooded would likely sink the whole thing.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                          Doubtful. A single section of the city being completely flooded would likely sink the whole thing.
                          yep so in the end it was pointless

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                            but having the generators and control room shielded would mean having a island of hope type of thing, so nonessential personel that everrat wanted back would be safe whilst they wait until they are useful

Comment

but the little island of hope probably wouldt have lasted long anyway, its designed to be powered by a zpm

Comment

Working...
                              X