PDA

View Full Version : All nine chevrons lit up!

Pages : [1] 2

wilhelmganon
July 6th, 2004, 08:45 AM
In the screenshots of the Stargate orbiting (what I would assume to be) a Wraith planet, ALL nine chevrons are engaged. Wowzers!

Could the function of the ninth chevron be revealed? Is it necessary to admit certain objects/masses? The only possible exception to this was the "needle" ship that Teal'c and Hammond used in "Into The Fire."

Any thoughts?

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Interesting to see all nine chevrons engaged to make the wormhole, but I'm not sure what it could possibly be used for. It may be the address to the Wraith homeworld, or it may just be a standard address

David
July 6th, 2004, 08:58 AM
I was discussing this with Darren last night. He thinks it's a production goof. Personally, I suspect the ninth chevron dials an outer-space Stargate- an Ancient feature to prevent someone from waltzing to a gate in space, and quickly combusting.

wilhelmganon
July 6th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Good theory, although I doubt the function of the ninth chevron is solely for a "unique" address.

What throws me off is this, and kinda brings up another question/point: seven chevrons are clearly required to open a wormhole within one's galaxy of origin, and the eighth chevron is, essentially, an "area code" modifier to reach other galaxies. If the ninth chevron has a special purpose, but one wishes to travel within one's home galaxy, is the activiation of the eighth chevron still necessary, or is there a protocol to engage the ninth without activating the previous?

David
July 6th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Yes, I was wondering that myself. And even if that's the case, clearly then if nine chevrons can be dialed, then eight- to get back home- can be as well. All they need to do is jump aboard the puddle jumper, zip through an outer-space stargate, and get home!

But something tells me they're not going to do that.

wilhelmganon
July 6th, 2004, 09:10 AM
If the ninth chevron, is indeed, a protocol designed to prevent "planetbound" travelers from accidentally ending up in space (or another environment without atmosphere), how would the Ancients account for other races moving the gates back and forth from a planet into space (and vice versa)?

The only way that would work, I suppose, is for the gate to still possess a typical, seven-symbol gate address, but dialing that address would result in a failure should the gate be in space; at that time, the ninth chevron "safety override" would have to be implemented to force the wormhole open.

However, we've witnessed two [possible] contradictions to this theory - a wormhole was successfully established to a gate totally submerged in water (Watergate), and a wormhole was established to a gate spiralling into a black hole (Matter of Time, Exodus). However, it's been stated that the water creatures may have been smart enough to keep away from the gate when it's in use, and the gate from Exodus still may have been surrounded by atmosphere.

David
July 6th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Good thoughts. Do keep in mind, though, that these Stargates are far newer than the ones in our home galaxy. Perhaps they don't rely on spacial coordinates to get a lock.

wilhelmganon
July 6th, 2004, 09:28 AM
I would like to think that the Ancients would maintain continuity within their own Stargate network, else how could the "older" and "newer" Stargates successfully interact? This is a good point you've brought up, though, considering the fact that the Atlantis gate does not possess the same glyphs as the gates in the Milky Way.

I think that the function of the glyphs is independent from whatever's drawn on them, and that all Stargates (and travel via hyperspace/wormholes) rely on spacial coordinate triangulation. They would have to, else one wouldn't be able to travel back and forth between networks.

Besides, we've seen one example of the "old" gates being used outside of the Milky Way - the Asgard planet Othala, in the Ida galaxy, clearly possessed a Version 1.0 gate.

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Certainly some good points between the two of you. It may be a goof just to stir up some discussion or it may actually be genuine. It seems very interesting

David
July 6th, 2004, 09:32 AM
This is true, though the Asgard may have nabbed a few of them after the Ancients took off.

Who knows how we get in touch with Atlantis? Perhaps the Ancients left a forwarding address with the correct way to interpret the new technology.

David
July 6th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Certainly some good points between the two of you. It may be a goof just to stir up some discussion or it may actually be genuine. It seems very interesting

Lol, feel free to jump in, My Lord.

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 09:37 AM
:D

Bring me the Ancient technology! :)

We may get in touch after O'Neill gets unfrozen and reveals one last thing or the Asgard find this info on their computers!

David
July 6th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Well something's gotta happen, otherwise there wouldn't be a huge stir at the Antarctic outpost. Though, I suppose after they discover it the folks at SGC will be hopping all over it.

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Hehe. I agree. I'm sure after SG-1 leave hundreds of SGC personell will be drooling to get their hands on the outpost. Perhaps they find a installed projection in the chair or something or a data feed? Who knows! :)

David
July 6th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Well one thing's for sure, either they find an alternate power cell or the one they grabbed from Praclarush still has energy.

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 09:45 AM
It may still have energy, just needs time to recharge. Or perhaps it still has energy but the glowly squids are just all used but the power source is still usable. Makes sense!

Chevron_nine
July 6th, 2004, 09:49 AM
I think the ninth might be used to specify which gate to use If there are two gates at the same co-ordinates, for example if there's one orbiting a planet and one on the planet's surface. You dial normally to get to the planet and dial 9 to go into space. It might also be used to go from the space gate to the planet gate at the same coordinates, although that's not really likely since you could just fly down to the planet.

In one of the clips you see a wraith dart coming out from a planet stargate, I think they went through the space one and out the planet gate, although they could be two totally unrelated shots.

That whole issue of to dial 9 you have to be able to dial 8, so they should be able to get home, isn't really true, to get to another Galaxy the 8th symbol has to be the POO, but if dialing 9 the 9th is the POO, so 8 symbols will only lock if the 8th isn't the POO.

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 09:50 AM
It is possible. But I like the idea of having two gates. One on the planet, and one orbiting the planet!

wilhelmganon
July 6th, 2004, 09:54 AM
In regards to the need for "additional" power for the eighth chevron, what's always confused me is this - if the gate needs "more" power, then why not just plug a naquadah generator, 2000 MW nuclear reactor, etc. straight into the darned gate?

My feeling is that eighth (and possibly ninth) chevron usage is dependent upon a SPECIFIC type of energy, and not necessarily the quantity. It's been mentioned a few times that the Stargate itself doesn't take much energy to run normally (we've seen it powered by the batteries from a truck in "1969"), and even if intergalactic travel requires more juice, the MacGyver-style ZPM that O'Neill constructed in The Fifth Race only had the small vial of liquid naquadah from Teal'c's staff weapon to power it.

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Just because these generators are a good power source doesn't mean it's a better way

wilhelmganon
July 6th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Good point chevron_nine, although I don't think it's feasible for the ninth chevron to be a "planet or space" deterministic factor. If that was the case, then the Stargate from which one is dialing would have to be able to sense, pre-wormhole, if there is more than one Stargate present. Even if it could, I still doubt the limitiations of the network would allow for it, since it's been established that a Stargate requires a planet-ish gravitational field in proximity for it to be able to work (the PoO), and only one Stargate can use the said field for operations (for example, when the gate at the SGC could not function when the Russian gate had an open wormhole in "Watergate").

They call me Tim
July 6th, 2004, 10:11 AM
"The only way that would work, I suppose, is for the gate to still possess a typical, seven-symbol gate address, but dialing that address would result in a failure should the gate be in space; at that time, the ninth chevron "safety override" would have to be implemented to force the wormhole open."

Another problem is that the Stargate has been successfully used in space at least twice so far...When Carter lobbed an active Stargate into a sun to blow it up and when in the first season the team traveled to a ship in orbit...the gate ceased to work once they flew away from the planet...another theory that I just thought of, and someone else might have I dont know, is maybe the 9th chevron could be an establishing point used only once when you are trying to create a new PoO since we have already been told that taking a gate from one place to another will still work if it gets close enough to a place that already has an established PoO...the 9th chevron could be an intergalatic railroad stake :p

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 10:15 AM
We know what the eighth chevron does, but now there's a lot of confusion over the ninth. I think it could be used for many different things, but possibly not space/planet

wilhelmganon
July 6th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Too true, they_call_me_tim, and, in fact, it was used in space on Apophis' ship in "The Serpent's Lair;" however, in all cases, they were dialing <i>from</i> that location, not to it, and there was atmosphere "in the ship" at least, although I don't know if there was atmosphere in the cargo bay in Exodus.

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 10:18 AM
That would be great if we could dial in hyperspace

wilhelmganon
July 6th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Well, if something massive enough went through hyperspace, think it's possible? Like, the Death Star? Anubis is enough like Darth Vader anyhow :-P

Chevron_nine
July 6th, 2004, 11:21 AM
I don't think it's possible to have an active gate in hyperspace. Isn't the definition of wormhole something like "a tunnel through space". Although I might be mistaken.

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 11:24 AM
I think it would be great to have an active gate in hyperspace!

Mio
July 6th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Nah, the way i understand it, the wormhole itself exists in hyperspace, but each apeture has to be in normal space.

Hyperspace = dimension where you can fold space to make distances shorter....sort of....

Wrathox
July 6th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Why couldn't the Atlantis team get home? Two things I was thinking about.

1) The home made ZPM O'Neill made in the Fifth Race, I'm sure they could make another one by backwards engineering it and give it to the Atlantis team.

2) In the alternnate reality when the had to contact the Asgard to same their alternate selves they used a naquadah generator to contact them. Why can't they just give the team a one so that they can come back.

Chevron_nine
July 6th, 2004, 01:32 PM
The Pegasus galaxy is A LOT farther than the Agard's Galaxy, those power sources are probably still too inefficient to get to Pegasys.

DAL SHAKKA MEL
July 6th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Well, if something massive enough went through hyperspace, think it's possible? Like, the Death Star? Anubis is enough like Darth Vader anyhow :-P

Anubis as Vader! I can see it now...

Anubis: Jack I am your Father!
Jack: NO!!!!!!!!!!! (he then falls down a shaft into an open stargate).

David85
July 6th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Back on topic.....

I hope they don't use the ninth cheven for some pointless BS. Maybe we don't even know what it does because the Wraith dialed it.

David
July 6th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Or like Darren suggested, it could simply be a production goof, at which point we're all chasing our tails to find out that there might be ... no tail at all.

David85
July 6th, 2004, 04:49 PM
It could be but most of the clips look like it's from the primere and it's getting later to make mistakes.

Chevron_nine
July 6th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Also, Keep in mind it's a new 3d effects company doing the FX, so maybe they forgot to do their homework before making the effects.

Erik Pasternak
July 6th, 2004, 06:38 PM
In the fourth season finale (sorry, I forget the name) when they launch the Stargate towards the sun, aren't all nine chevrons lit up then as well? Maybe (please feel free to call me an idiot if I'm being one) once a wormhole is engaged all nine chevrons light up, we normally don't see the other two so how would we know?

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Yeah, you're actually correct. All nine chevrons are engaged with a seven symbol dialup sequence. Interesting...

wilhelmganon
July 7th, 2004, 03:19 AM
I seem to remember the last two chevrons NOT being lit up in Exodus, but I could easily be mistaken - screenshot, anyone?

Thor
July 7th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Screenshot here:
http://www.sg-atlantis.info/stargate/index.php?seite=episodenguide&aktion=showbild&url=staffel4/422_3.jpg&ID=88&highl=4

As you can see, there are only 7 chevrons engaded and lightening... so ;)

bspargo
July 7th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Just to jump a tiny bit off topic here for a second...

Could the "9th Chevron" be the Ancients 'future proof' 'device'.

They build all gates with the 9 chevrons so that any future 'gate networks'... further and further away from each other can be contacted from each and every other gate network.

In my sollution, the 9th chevron is similiar to the 8th is concept, only larger distance multiplyer?

If the Ancients intended for their networks to be continually spreading throughout the known universe, then it would make sense for them to be able to contact all those networks at any given time (or at least most of them)

So 7 chevrons for addresses within own galaxy...

8 Chevrons to dial from your galaxy to another galaxy

9 Chevrons to go further out

Of course the Ancients had no use for the 9th at that stage, because they had no networks at that range?

With the current theory of expanding universe model, then this sollution fits?

Thoughts?

wilhelmganon
July 7th, 2004, 05:54 AM
"9 chevrons to go further out"

Go further out where? Assuming that each glyph represents a separate galaxy (for 8th chevron purposes), the 'gate network could potentially differentiate between 38 different galaxies. Unless the Ancients populated 39 or more galaxies with 'gates (which I doubt), there's really nowhere else to go, distance-speaking. The "different universes" theory, in my opinion, isn't really valid, but I guess it's possible.

Wass
July 7th, 2004, 07:08 AM
"9 chevrons to go further out"

I think it means dailing to another universes, in my opion it's valid theory.

Anubis
July 7th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Well, we know eight dials to another galaxy to perhaps nine goes as far as possible

David85
July 7th, 2004, 07:36 AM
You dial nine you go to the center of the universe and meet God.... Oh wait wrong franchise.... :D

wilhelmganon
July 7th, 2004, 07:37 AM
My only problem with the "other universes" deal concerns the theories behind adjacent (not parallel) universes. The current thought on the matter is that, if other autonomous universes exist, odds are they operate under different laws of physics and are all-but unreachable by any means (including bending of space-time).

Parallel realities exist on the same plane as our universe, just in a different dimension, and follow the same laws of physics (generally).

On top of all of this, I can't see any race, Ancients and the Alliance (Nox, Furlings, etc.) included, populating all bajillion galaxies in our own universe with 'gates and having to move on to other universes.

Anubis
July 7th, 2004, 07:38 AM
God? lol I doubt it :)

Teal'c
July 7th, 2004, 09:24 AM
So, nobody has thought that maybe all 9 light up because it just looks cool? :P

Wrathox
July 7th, 2004, 10:32 AM
So, nobody has thought that maybe all 9 light up because it just looks cool? :P

You got me thinking. Maybe our galaxy has no use for the 9th chevron but the Pegasus galaxy does. Maybe there are many more gates there than here. A normal dial out for us is seven but for them its eight. And for them to dial to another galaxy it takes nine.

Just my brain wondering off. Who knows where that person was going at the end of the LowDown.

Anubis
July 7th, 2004, 10:34 AM
That's good. We don't perhaps any use at all for a ninth but other galaxies do (not just pegasus)

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Nine chevrons is a bit of a waste for movement inside one galaxy. That's a lot of possible dialings.

37*36*35*34*33*32*31*30*1

Of course, 7 would always be the 'galaxy indicator' when more than 7 are used.

37*36*35*34*33*32*1*30*1

It's still a rediculously large number.

Anubis
July 7th, 2004, 10:57 AM
A lot of combinations, but still possible

wilhelmganon
July 7th, 2004, 11:05 AM
I agree with Mio - the presence of the "additional" chevrons had to be a necessity for a reason other than a shortage in glyph permutations, unless we're unaware of a limitation (such as 13 glyphs for the x-direction, 13 for the y-direction, 12 for the z-direction, etc.).

Even in the example above, there are still over three million possible glyph permutations (3,212,352).

Erik Pasternak
July 7th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Screenshot here:
http://www.sg-atlantis.info/stargate/index.php?seite=episodenguide&aktion=showbild&url=staffel4/422_3.jpg&ID=88&highl=4

As you can see, there are only 7 chevrons engaded and lightening... so ;) You see, Thor, the thing is that in that screenshot, the last two chevrons have clamps over them. We would need a pic from after it was launched, and I do remember all nine being lit at that point.

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 11:46 AM
You see, Thor, the thing is that in that screenshot, the last two chevrons have clamps over them. We would need a pic from after it was launched, and I do remember all nine being lit at that point.
No they don't.

The clamps are over the two LIT chevrons.

PYRO
July 7th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Ok:

7=Milky Way
8= Pegesus?
9=Adromeda or another galaxy

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Gotta love PowerDVD.

At first, seven are lit.
(pic 1)

Then, we see 9 lit as it enters the sun
(pic 2)

And blown up slightly...
(pic 3)

Or, it could just be that the sun is bright enough to make the translucent material the chevrons are made of appear to be lit.....whoever hit the render button without checking that should be shot! ::nod::

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Ok:

7=Milky Way
8= Pegesus?
9=Adromeda or another galaxy No.

When dialing with 7 chevrons:
1-6: Coordinates within CURRENT galaxy
7: Point of Origin

With 8:
1-6: Coordinates within galaxy
7: Galaxy Indicator
8: Point of Origin

Of course, you're all going to say, 'but the milky way symbols won't work in another galaxy'

Of course they wouldn't.

But we have to assume that the dialing device doesn't give a crap about the symbol itself, and only cares about a number (1-38) associated with it.

PYRO
July 7th, 2004, 12:01 PM
I know about the point of origen and the rest, I saw Daniel explain this in the movie...

But the 7 would be like default

And the gate has a symbol for a galaxy?

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Yes.

Each galaxy probably has a gylph assigned to it.

For example, ida is....wow...I'm screenshot happy today.

Ida is this glyph.

It cooresponds to a spacial point in our galaxy when used in slots 1-6, but when used as #7, the gate sees it as a galaxy indicator.

*passes go and collects his $200*

David
July 7th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Or, it could just be that the sun is bright enough to make the translucent material the chevrons are made of appear to be lit.....whoever hit the render button without checking that should be shot! ::nod::

Another example is Nemesis - when the Gate is beamed to the Beliskner, the lower two chevrons are not lit.

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Another example is Nemesis - when the Gate is beamed to the Beliskner, the lower two chevrons are not lit.
I meant when the gate has a sun BEHIND it, like shining a flashlight through a sheet of paper.

David
July 7th, 2004, 03:13 PM
I'm referring to the two other chevrons being lit.

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Yeh, I editted my post.

David
July 7th, 2004, 03:20 PM
It's actually good that that much care was put into the shot. I think out of the entire series it's my favorite Stargate sequence- Launching it from the bay of th Ha'tak and and it flying into the star.

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Is the event horizon Swirling?(I'm assuming it wouldn't pull back like a funnel until the effect 'built up' in the gate itself) I put the DVD away....too....lazy....to....check....

David
July 7th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Swirling, like in "A Matter of Time?"

It's just doing it's normal...water thing.

VirtualCLD
July 7th, 2004, 04:18 PM
"Is the event horizon Swirling?(I'm assuming it wouldn't pull back like a funnel until the effect 'built up' in the gate itself) I put the DVD away....too....lazy....to....check...." - Mio

You're right, it isn't doing the funnel thing. In fact, there is no time distortion at all, even prior to Carter putting the forcefield up. Maybe it does take time, for the gravity to come through, or maybe it's will suspensin of disbelief. And yes, the seven chevrons are lit for the initial launch sequence (I love the little jets) and then all nine are lit in the last shot of it being hurled into the sun.

Getting back to the nine chevrons in the Pegasus, maybe the newer gates just have all nine chevrons light up.... possibly because the designers thought it looked better. Designers being either the show's designers or the Ancient architects designing the newer gate.

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 06:28 PM
You're right, it isn't doing the funnel thing. In fact, there is no time distortion at all, even prior to Carter putting the forcefield up. Maybe it does take time, for the gravity to come through, or maybe it's will suspensin of disbelief. And yes, the seven chevrons are lit for the initial launch sequence (I love the little jets) and then all nine are lit in the last shot of it being hurled into the sun.

Getting back to the nine chevrons in the Pegasus, maybe the newer gates just have all nine chevrons light up.... possibly because the designers thought it looked better. Designers being either the show's designers or the Ancient architects designing the newer gate.
Actually, I'm watching exodos.

Carter set the gravity generators in the cargo bay to maximum....and the gate did do a swirling thing, just not a sucking-backwards thing.

The force shield probably prevented the funnel effect once it was outside the gravity field of the cargo bay.

Anubis
July 7th, 2004, 11:06 PM
I think it depends on the function of the gate or perhaps what may be around the gate

wilhelmganon
July 8th, 2004, 03:47 AM
In any event, the lower two chevrons are not lit in Nemesis, nor are they lit in the *first* part of the Exodus-hurling-Stargate sequence.

I'm going to have to agree with ye olde moderator, and chalk the Atlantis bit up to a production oversight. I'd LOVE to see the ninth chevron being legitimately used, but something tells me that won't occur for some time.

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 07:21 AM
This is quite interesting. They sometimes are all lit, they sometimes aren't. This is so strange and now Atlantis comes and confuses us even more!

wilhelmganon
July 8th, 2004, 07:44 AM
After re-watching the Stargate spiraling towards the sun in Exodus, I really think it's just the glare from the sun.

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Possibly, but I think all nine might actually light up (unless the engagers are transparent)

Mio
July 8th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Possibly, but I think all nine might actually light up (unless the engagers are transparent) As I said above,they are probably partially transparent, and when backed by something as overwhelming bright as sun (exodos) look as if they are lit.

Atlantis's 9 are probably just a goof

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 07:51 AM
That big of a good to show in a preview? I doubt it

David85
July 8th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Yes it is a big goof, but it has happened before and they have gotten new CGI people so it is possible.

But really, the SG-1 fans are already going to watch it, and the new people won't notice, so it's not that big.

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 08:03 AM
If it is a goof, bad work CGI people but hopefully some new effects this season

David
July 8th, 2004, 02:26 PM
I really hope it's not a goof. These guys are usually pretty dang thorough about that sort of thing. But you never know ...

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 11:07 PM
I think the team they have ensures they don't have too many goofs. Although there are some that can never be noticed. But I doubt that NINE chevrons is a goof

David
July 10th, 2004, 06:17 AM
I'm meeting with Bruce Woloshyn at Gatecon. Unlike most shows where Rainmaker specialized in environments, weapon fire, etc, they did ALL of the visual effects for Rising. This has caused a big enough stir that I'm going to enquire and let you guys know what he says.

Anubis
July 10th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Sounds good David

Mio
July 10th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Or, as someone said above, all nine chevrons could just light up after a wormhole is established.

David
July 10th, 2004, 08:19 AM
It is certainly a possibility that the Stargate laws in this galaxy may be different. My concern is that they stick to what they've started so it does jive.

Ugly Pig
July 10th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Or, since the shot in question was not a final render, it could still be just seven lit up chevrons. I guess we'll know in a week...

David
July 10th, 2004, 08:27 AM
I do imagine it is the final shot, but you might be right. Either way, I hope to see some explanation.

g.o.d
July 10th, 2004, 08:35 AM
paralel universe:-)
it's really strange

Anubis
July 10th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Maybe they all light up when a INCOMING wormhole is established not outgoing

Atlantean Citizen
July 10th, 2004, 09:57 AM
I think

7 chevrons - local of planets, space ships, etc. in one galaxy
8 chevrons - local of galaxies
9 chevrons - time travel or local of dimensions (include multi-universes, parrallel universes, etc.)

this is my best guess.
Who know...

Anubis
July 10th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Possibl. But I'm not sure what it could really be used for. I think extra distance or just for the fun of the lights

Mio
July 10th, 2004, 10:46 AM
The stargate network was designed to be adaptive.

New stargates, changing planets, etc, are all flawlessly taken care of by the DHD. The DHD program is really cool. However, the ancients are left with the Stargates themselves. If the ancients ever needed a 9th chevron, but they only had 8, it would be too hard to change every stargate in the universe. So if the 9th chevron was ever implimented, An ancient could probably just hit a few keys on a remote control near a DHD, and the program written to use Chevron 9 would be streamed across every stargate in about a day via the cooralative update system.

Therefore, it is possible that the Ancients died out before needing a 9th chevron.

Anubis
July 10th, 2004, 11:21 AM
I created the DHD program, that's what it's so cool! lol

Wass
July 10th, 2004, 12:24 PM
when are you meeting Bruce Woloshyn at Gatecon David

Anubis
July 10th, 2004, 01:05 PM
I think Gatecon is later this year or early next. Unsure

David
July 10th, 2004, 02:39 PM
when are you meeting Bruce Woloshyn at Gatecon David

I'm not permitted to divulge any further information. Believe me I'd love to tell you. Lemme just say Bruce is giving GateWorld an awesome gift, and you'll be hearing all about it maybe in a month.

Nolamom
July 10th, 2004, 03:02 PM
I think Gatecon is later this year or early next. Unsure
Try next week. Some of us cannot go :S

thefurryfurling
July 10th, 2004, 03:23 PM
i'm not sure what the possible function of the 9th chevron is, but it was my understanding that, and i have no specific instances, when an incoming wormhole comes in all 9 chevrons light up and we usually don't see it because the bottom 1 or 2 chevrons are buried or obscured.
its possible that the 9th is a "country code" like +1 or +44 for galaxys beyond our local group

Selmak
July 10th, 2004, 04:33 PM
You would think if it was a mistake someone along the line you catch it.

Stargate Agent
July 10th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Well that is what they said in The Fifth Race, that the next Chevron was like dialing a different area code. I wonder if Atlantis will stay in a different galaxy or if they will have run ins with SG-1 enemies...

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 12:29 AM
OK, so I was a bit off Nolamom

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 03:33 AM
I've got it!

Gremlins in the stargate?

David
July 11th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Of course, I'd never have guessed :P

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 04:36 AM
My unique way of thinking always points to gremlins :nod:

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Gremlins. You're right. No argument

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Better take away the food and all water then!

They must love the Aschen then, all that food going though the stargate. They must be able to convert many with that amount.

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Yeah. They better

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Gremlins. You're right. No argument
I know. ::gets a gold star::

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 07:51 AM
A gold star. More like five

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Tbh, all gold belongs to me. You can get one made in Naquadah though.

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 08:09 AM
See? In the end, I win.

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:10 AM
lol Mio, you always win, but not in a battle with Anubis

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:13 AM
I'm too important to even be bothered by your little fight for my gold :)

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:14 AM
You know you'll loose. You are no match for the forced descended Anubis

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 08:14 AM
lol Mio, you always win, but not in a battle with Anubis Phft....

::hooks a stationary bike, with a generator attached, to the Ancient weapon and starts peddling::

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:15 AM
lol You crack me up

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Hehehe.

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Phft....

::hooks a stationary bike, with a generator attached, to the Ancient weapon and starts peddling::

Get a wireless version of that and put it on all bikes in Tour De France, that would give you a little power boost.

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:16 AM
You see, a little!

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:17 AM
I Am betraying you Anubis... sorry

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 08:17 AM
But in all seriousness: Is the Ancient weapon Energy Star certified?

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Maybe! Who knows

How could you betray me of all people? lol

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 08:19 AM
By chance, Anubis, are you using two computers to browse the gateworld forums? ::runs back and forth between threads, panting::

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:20 AM
He is a false god, he has to be good at something.

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:20 AM
I know it would seem like that. I'm actually using the PC for GateWorld and I use the Mac for other things. I'm meant to be doing to web desigining, but I think there will be a bit of a delay! :D

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Lol.

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Just tell your boss you're talking to technical advisors.

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:23 AM
So far, all I have done is the CSS sheets. I planned today to have the homepage finished! lol

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 08:24 AM
We're motivating you :nod: to do...err..something...

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:24 AM
maybe you should change your hosts-file to direct gateworld.net to localhost :>

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Okay, time to begin CSS sheet number 2 of 3! lol I planned to have it done by 1pm, it's now 5:30pm! lol

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:26 AM
I love people with that kind of discipline :)

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Little to none?

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:28 AM
I've done the basic outline now, which is mainly the background and fonts. Shouldn't take me too long

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Exactly Mio :)

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Yeah yeah. I should be finished in about 10mins!

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Uh huh.

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:32 AM
So we can expect to see the final CSS-code sometime next month?

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 08:34 AM
give him some credit. He'll have it done within a week.

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:35 AM
lol I've finished sheet two and on to sheet three. This contains a lot more which will take me to the end of the day!

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:35 AM
You do know it's 3 files? 2 files in a week seems kinda hard... atleast for a false god.

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 08:36 AM
He should take a 2 week vacation now.

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:37 AM
yeah

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 08:38 AM
In fact, I should leave the computer for a while....I think my eyes are starting to bleed.

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:39 AM
I'm getting hungry. 10min break?

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Indeed.

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Correction. 2 files in a day

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:43 AM
in a day-dream?

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:45 AM
In an actual day! lol

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:46 AM
suuuuuuuure

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:49 AM
YAY! Finished sheet three. My work is done for today

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:51 AM
I wish my work was that easy.

It's not easy being rich and having to watch stargate all day long I tell ya!

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:53 AM
lol I watched the season eight opener this morning which caused me an hour delay and the big discussions here this evening!

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:55 AM
"Where were you?"
"Watching some people saving the world boss!"

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:56 AM
lol Well, my design, my time. Just means I'll have to do double tomorrow! :eek:

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Nothing*2 = ?

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 09:00 AM
7 ::nods at aAnubiSs::

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 09:01 AM
I guess you are using some alien kind of math. I wish I knew that.

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 09:02 AM
lol Poor me

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Poor? You have a job, you must be rich :P

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 09:04 AM
No, I'm only 13! lol But I am getting paid for the work I'm doing

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Ugh. I wish i had money.....a job.....damn these worthless skills!

<throws out a shelf of Programming and CAD material>

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 09:08 AM
13? You're acting atleast... 14 :P

Na, but I thought you were 18+

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Well, my birthday is on September 26 so I'll be 14 then. Not 18 yet! lol

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Well congratulations for being more mature then most kids your age.

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 10:18 AM
lol Cheers for that comment!

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 10:26 AM
I was serious though.

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 10:41 AM
I know. And thanks! ;)

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Gah, I had a moment of weakness and now I'll have to suffer for the rest of my eternal life.

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Yes. Yes you do. Bow down before Anubis, your new prepubescent god!

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 12:54 PM
I demand Kel'Ma, or a quick return to being an Atheist.

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 03:15 PM
::flips a coin:: No.

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Still in reverseville?

puddlejumper747
July 12th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Anyway, just to get back on topic for a couple seconds, I don't know if anyone else has said this, but what if all nine chevrons light up every single time the wormhole is engaged? Didn't we see all nine lit up before when the Asgard and SG-1 sent that one stargate connected to the black hole into the sun at the end of season 5?

Mio
July 12th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Anyway, just to get back on topic for a couple seconds, I don't know if anyone else has said this, but what if all nine chevrons light up every single time the wormhole is engaged? Didn't we see all nine lit up before when the Asgard and SG-1 sent that one stargate connected to the black hole into the sun at the end of season 5?

That was the end of the Season 4, and it was the Tok'Ra and SG1

And when it was launched from the bay, it was 7 chevrons lit, however, it APPEARED that 9 were lit when it was floating into the sun, but that could have been because the chevrons 'appeared' lit because the sun was bright and shining through them..?

Anubis
July 12th, 2004, 11:15 PM
I think Mio is right. The sun would have shined through them because it was so bright. And the black hole planet was 7 symbols

wilhelmganon
July 13th, 2004, 06:13 AM
At this point, I'm waiting for Friday to see what's in the episode. If nine chevrons are still lit up, I wouldn't mind a good explanation.

puddlejumper747
July 13th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Sure, it could have been the sun, but what I meant to suggest is that perhaps every single time a wormhole is engaged, all nine chevrons are automatically lit up to show that the gate is active, regardless of whether or not they are actually locked onto something. Does anyone else know of more examples when we see the full gate activated, because usually the bottom two are covered up and we can't see them.

Mio
July 13th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Sure, it could have been the sun, but what I meant to suggest is that perhaps every single time a wormhole is engaged, all nine chevrons are automatically lit up to show that the gate is active, regardless of whether or not they are actually locked onto something. Does anyone else know of more examples when we see the full gate activated, because usually the bottom two are covered up and we can't see them. Exodus, Redemption, 2001, 1969, First Commandment, A hundred days, New Ground (maybe), Nemesis....

That should be close to all of them.

Edit: Maybe Death Knell?

Anubis
July 13th, 2004, 11:05 PM
The bottom two are normally covered but I would have though we would know by now if they all light up then they go to seven or something

puddlejumper747
July 14th, 2004, 04:03 PM
OK, I checked out my theory against some of those episodes, and it definitely doesn't work (at least for gates in our galaxy). But I wonder if it could still be true for the new gates, maybe some kind of added feature?

Mio
July 14th, 2004, 08:33 PM
OK, I checked out my theory against some of those episodes, and it definitely doesn't work (at least for gates in our galaxy). But I wonder if it could still be true for the new gates, maybe some kind of added feature?
We'll call it 'magic' for now....or blame the giant worms.

Anubis
July 14th, 2004, 11:09 PM
The giant worms. It's always their fault! lol

Mio
July 15th, 2004, 07:20 AM
The giant worms. It's always their fault! lol
Yes, but we can't get rid of them since they are escential for gate travel....

aAnubiSs
July 15th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Obviously they should start using snakeholes, since a snake is bigger and faster then a worm, they should be able to build a bigger stargate and travel further.

Mio
July 15th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Obviously they should start using snakeholes, since a snake is bigger and faster then a worm, they should be able to build a bigger stargate and travel further.
I'll submit it to the high council of the Ancients.....now where's that time machine....

aAnubiSs
July 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Right where you left it. Maybe 1969?

Mio
July 15th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Oh. That poses a small problem.

Ugly Pig
July 15th, 2004, 03:00 PM
No it doesn't. Just use the time machine to go back and... Ooohhh...

aAnubiSs
July 15th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Duh?

Use the gate to get back to 1969, then use the machine to get back. Just to figure out you left Fluffy behind in 1969. When you go home you see big posters about the police chasing Fluffy the Destroyer.

Ugly Pig
July 15th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Use the gate to get back to 1969, then use the machine to get back.
But, then you'd have to be able to predict solar flares. And in order to be able to do that, you'd have to rip off the technology from the Aschen first. Which is probably not worth the trouble. :D

aAnubiSs
July 15th, 2004, 04:46 PM
That's why you ally yourself with them first, seeing that you're gonna change the future when you go back to the past it doesn't really matter what you do now :)

Mio
July 15th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Fine....

We'll keep the giant worms.

ThatGuyPSU
July 16th, 2004, 09:21 PM
It's obvious (to me anyway) what the 9th chevron is for...

Time Travel.

Think about it... the StarGate has already been used for time travel in the past... SG-1 has to MacGuyver the situation to make it happen, but that tells me there might be a more graceful solution... like the 9th Chevron.

David85
July 16th, 2004, 09:25 PM
I still don't understand the point of it? So it can be seen in space?

puddlejumper747
July 17th, 2004, 06:35 AM
OK, well all 9 were still lit up in Rising. Any ideas?
And was it just me, or did we also hear 9 chevrons being engaged at the Atlantis gate when the puddle jumper was preparing to return home?

Erik Pasternak
July 17th, 2004, 03:40 PM
It was just you, my friend.

Mio
July 17th, 2004, 04:25 PM
All of the glyphs light up for an active wormhole, so why not all 9 chevrons?

Selmak
July 17th, 2004, 11:53 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking when the gate activated and all the chevrons lit up.

puddlejumper747
July 18th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Isn't that what I said to begin with? I'll double-check my posts, but anyway... :)
As I said before, maybe it's just a new feature of the Atlantis/Pegasus Galaxy gates.

Erik Pasternak
July 18th, 2004, 03:01 PM
All of the glyphs light up for an active wormhole, so why not all 9 chevrons?I believe I was the first to say that, then everyone ganged up on me!

Mio
July 18th, 2004, 03:02 PM
I believe I was the first to say that, then everyone ganged up on me!
Quiet. And stop typing in green :nod: and so big. and you're ugly :continues to ramble off complaints at rocket4477::

Blue_Revan
July 18th, 2004, 03:06 PM
green font is ugly

Tannis
July 18th, 2004, 03:20 PM
One thing to note about the fact that the gate on earth sucessfully dialed into a water environment and the black hole that one time... Maj Carter said at one point early in the series that in order to get the earth's homemade dailing device to work they had to disregard some of the gate's built in safeguards. That is proably why the gates could dial those hostile environments in those cases.

Also, if I am not mistaken earth is the only planet we know of so far that has had more than one startgate on it. Don't all the other ones only have one?

What I am wondering is if the Wraith are the Ancient's enemy why the heck did they leave a stargate for them to use??? you would think they would want to keep the wraith as corralled as possible, so why leave a gate conveniently parked in orbit for them to use? Its like the Ancient's were saying "hello, come invade us please". But then perhaps that is what the holoancient meant when she said the Ancient's were unprepared and overconfident. They left it there thinking no one else could learn how to work it, but the Wraith did and kaboom bye bye Ancients.

Blue_Revan
July 18th, 2004, 03:22 PM
moving a gate isnt really hard to do.

Erik Pasternak
July 18th, 2004, 04:08 PM
You know, Mio and Blue Revan, you really hurt my feelings. I'm gonna go cry now. And maybe I won't even ever come back here to the forum, just because of you. ShadowMaat goes to celebrate.

disforw
July 18th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Besides, we've seen one example of the "old" gates being used outside of the Milky Way - the Asgard planet Othala, in the Ida galaxy, clearly possessed a Version 1.0 gate.

speaking of which, im suprized the asguard have now been able to make there own gate by now, eveb the Tollens could do that.

ToastBusters
July 18th, 2004, 04:29 PM
They seem to be very good about this kind of thing in the past so I doubt it's a flaw. My money is on the theory that all symbols light up so why not the chevrons?

As for what the ninth symbol does, my guess is it gives the gate further functionality. It could, for example, be the time travel/alternate universe thing that's been thrown around; but personally I don't like that idea. Another area code perhaps, but 38 ENTIRE galaxies seems awful huge to have explored. Even for the ancients. I would doubt that every chevron is even linked to a galaxy. Here is another random suggestion:

The ninth chevron allows you to lock onto a location that has no stargate at all. It's a one-way trip, and would require a space craft to do so, but just open a spiraling vortex opening in the middle of friggen nowhere and dump an armada to head off the enemy. A far more likely (and useful) purpose for this would be to visit a planet that has not yet had a stargate deposited. Get the puddlejumper as close as possible, land on the planet, assemble the stargate and dial home. You've just planted another stargate.

Seems to make sense but they have long range ships too so they are not that heavily dependant on the stargates... it's just a suggestion.

Here is another one, it could just tell the stargate to activate a special function. Each chevron is linked to a function that could be called. One possibility is to tell the stargate to open the wormhole as though it were an INCOMING wormhole. Another would tell the gate not to allow energy sources (such as weapons) through. Great if you're being followed.

Those are just suggestions. It can really be anything, I like the "multiple gates with the same address" theory. If that were it, you can just use your OWN galaxy symbol as the eighth (like dialing your own area code) and the ninth specifies which gate. The earth thing (two gates, only one worked at a time) could be explained by the fact that there was only one DHD, so the second had no way of synching.

What do you guys think?

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 04:42 PM
I think the ninth chevron was put there for future possibilities for further travel if it was ever needed, but since the Ancients are gone, theres no further expansion for the gate system. It may have been there for a "just in case we head out even further and so we don't have to replace previously built gates."

disforw
July 18th, 2004, 04:42 PM
I like your thinking! If it means anything at all you definitely got one of the answers there, but I must say: in all the time I have been watching stargate I don’t think I have seen a gate that has been out-of-ground. Maybe the producers just didn’t like the look of a flouting gate with 7 chevrons colored and 2 not. or I think on a incoming wormhole all of the chevrons light up

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 04:46 PM
speaking of which, im suprized the asguard have now been able to make there own gate by now, eveb the Tollens could do that.
The Asgard don't need gates to travel, you've seen how fast the ship can go. According to what I saw in New Order, it could get to the MW galaxy and back to the Ida galaxy within hours, if that, maybe within even one hour.

Chevron_nine
July 18th, 2004, 10:42 PM
One thing I noticed is that the 9 chevrons were always lit up on the sapce-gate, so it's probably not a production goof. Even when the gate was inactive. It might have been from the light emitted by the nearby sun, although it didn't look like it, Or the lights might just be used as beacons in space so the gate's easier to find when it's pitch black. They might even be used to show which side is up, although all the lights looked the same to me. Imagine the Jumper going through upside down and ripping up the atlantis floor.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Never thought of that upside down thing.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 07:35 AM
The gate should be spinning non-stop. That would make reentry alot more interesting :) Never know which side is up and down :)

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 07:46 AM
The gate had something attached to it, a little rocket or something, didn't it? It could have been feeding a signal to the gate that said 'keep all 9 chevrons lit'

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 07:49 AM
I always thought after you dialed and the 7 chevrons locked, all nine chevrons lit up when the wormhole was established.

And I seriously want to see Sheppard fly in upside down once, just to see his reaction.

Yu Huang Shang Ti
July 20th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Forgive my obtuseness, but how was a gate misused in "Children of the Gods"? The only thing I can think of offhand is how Apophis left the Earth gate without a DHD, but I just figured that it had enough energy left to dial out again (confirmed later in the series) and he ordered his Jaffa to dial out manually.

Mio
July 20th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Forgive my obtuseness, but how was a gate misused in "Children of the Gods"? The only thing I can think of offhand is how Apophis left the Earth gate without a DHD, but I just figured that it had enough energy left to dial out again (confirmed later in the series) and he ordered his Jaffa to dial out manually. That damned manual dialing out thing is always a pain. If we could just manually dial out, why bother with the supercomputers calculating planetary shift? Or drift....or something....

IndianaJones00
July 20th, 2004, 10:22 AM
I havent read through all 11 pages but dont all 9 chevrons light up anyway once the dial out is complete even on the earth gate. I know you cant see the bottom two chevrons normally because of the ramp and on other planets the last two chevrons are underground but I am sure in the episode where they took a stargate from the tok'ra base and dialed the blackhole world they sent it out into space and all 9 chevrons were lit or am I mistaken?

VirtualCLD
July 20th, 2004, 10:25 AM
SPOILER WARNING

There's still some debate about it but in one episode (I forget it now) they launch a stargate into the sun. When the stargate leaves teh hanger bay, it only has 7 chevrons lit. In the last shot of it flying into the sun, it appears as if all nine are lit, however, some argue that it is just being close tot eh sun and the light from the sun is being seen shining through the "jewels" of the nine chevrons.

Mio
July 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM
SPOILER WARNING

There's still some debate about it but in one episode (I forget it now) they launch a stargate into the sun. When the stargate leaves teh hanger bay, it only has 7 chevrons lit. In the last shot of it flying into the sun, it appears as if all nine are lit, however, some argue that it is just being close tot eh sun and the light from the sun is being seen shining through the "jewels" of the nine chevrons.
Exodos. End of season 4.

VirtualCLD
July 20th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Exodos. End of season 4.
Thank you, I was too lazy to look it up again.

IndianaJones00
July 20th, 2004, 10:37 AM
I just checked the end part of Atlantis where they go back through the gate and I noticed that the blue chevrons are lite up on both the back and front of the gate but on numerous episodes of SG-1 only the chevrons on the front of the gate light up so that is another difference between the Atlantis gates and the SGC gate but then the chevrons never lite up at all in the film so maybe its just no of those things they hope you wont notice lol

Yu Huang Shang Ti
July 20th, 2004, 06:17 PM
That damned manual dialing out thing is always a pain. If we could just manually dial out, why bother with the supercomputers calculating planetary shift? Or drift....or something....

Easy.

Apophis knew that his address was valid, because he probably just came from there. No planetary shift calculations necessary if the address is ten minutes old instead of ten thousand years.

Mio
July 20th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Easy.

Apophis knew that his address was valid, because he probably just came from there. No planetary shift calculations necessary if the address is ten minutes old instead of ten thousand years.
Err. Yeh, there's planetary shift.

There is shift from the point where the 6 symbols point to.

Chevron_nine
July 20th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Just to clear things up there's two things that need to be compensated for.

1. Planetary drift. very slowly the Planets, stars and other things are moving away from each other. Say for example symbol x represented an actual location with a value of 1,1,1. After millions of years it would represent say, an actual location at 3,6,8. The DHD's automatically compensate for this and every once in a while(I'm not sure how often) they spread the new locations amongst themselves.

This is my interpretation, not actual fact. I see the DHD as connecting to a remote gate and updating the co-ordinates in the actual gate itself, not the Gate's DHD.

2.Out-of date addresses
During COTG daniel stated he tried dialing several of the addresses on the cartouche with a gate connected to a DHD. None worked. The DHD did successfully update the the Co-ordinates of the symbols (in theory). Why didn't the addresses work then?, but Apophis's did? This was because the addresses themselves on the cartouche were no longer valid. Say at one point Symbols ABCXYZ represented 1,1,1 2,2,2 3,3,3 etc. now they represent 1,2,2 3,5,6 3,4,8 etc. The location of the planet will most likely not be in the intersection point, if they intersect at all. So the address has to be changed to ASDFGH. The Goa'uld have to update their planets address list over time, but probably very rarely. This is how the SGC computer generated 2-3 new addresses every month in the beginning.

Why would the DHD compensate for planetary drift then you ask. It merely slows down how often you need to recalculate gate addresses. If it didn't compensate it's likely that once the gates drifted out of position there would be no way to dial them at all.

Now here is a theory that hopefully clears up everything and proves that manual dialing should work. And it doesn't require the DHD to send "actual co-ordinates" along with the symbols. :P

Erik Pasternak
July 20th, 2004, 07:36 PM
I think the updates fully compensate for stellar drift, but since the Abydos DHD had been buried for so long it hadn't had a chance to recieve one. And yes, I know this means that I'm saying that it's the DHD that recieves the update, and it does because we were still able to use our gate during the Avenger crisis. (Plus, I think it was stated in the ep that it's the DHD that recieves the update.)

Chevron_nine
July 20th, 2004, 07:48 PM
I think the updates fully compensate for stellar drift, but since the Abydos DHD had been buried for so long it hadn't had a chance to recieve one. And yes, I know this means that I'm saying that it's the DHD that recieves the update, and it does because we were still able to use our gate during the Avenger crisis. (Plus, I think it was stated in the ep that it's the DHD that recieves the update.)
What I meant was the remote DHD receives the update and stores in the actual gate. This is why none of the teams could manually dial home, assuming the DHD's still provided power.

In prisonners, the gate probably received it's periodical co-ordinate update before it's DHD's was disconnected, or P3X-bla bla bla was close enough to successfully dial. In Torment of Tantalus I think it was close enough to earth that planetary drift wasn't a problem yet.

Mio
July 20th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Addresses themselves can't change. Look at proclarush toanas. It's address made those words in ancient 5 million years ago, and make the same words today.

Chevron_nine
July 20th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Addresses themselves can't change. Look at proclarush toanas. It's address made those words in ancient 5 million years ago, and make the same words today.But there was no gate on that planet, so all we know are the previous co-ordinates. We don't know if it would have worked.

This is getting really off topic so I'm going to create a topic about Planetary drift in the General folder. Please confront me there. I'm always up for a challenge:)

Metonic
July 21st, 2004, 05:15 PM
Remember when Daniel Ascended? He walked thru the gate. Is it possible that the Ancients use the Stargate to ascend prevously unascended beings? Im jusdt guessing that.

Harlan
July 23rd, 2004, 03:15 AM
If you observe the space finale sequence, all 9 chevrons are always "light up" before Ford dials the gate ;) .
So maybe Ford only activated 7 chevrons, but because all the chevrons are "default light up", we though the 9 chevrons were activated.

There's another theory ...
It can be strange, but me too I think I've heard 9 chevrons activating on Atlantis Gate during the off-world activation, when Sheppard's team come back to the Ancient city. Yeah ! Because we see the 3 first chevrons activating, with sounds. But then, the sounds are always here, but this is a less powerful sound, because we are hearing the sounds made by the part of the Gate ring which is in the floor ... And then the sounds is one more time more powerful because we hear the "outside" chevrons sounds. So maybe the less powerful sounds we are hearing between activations of chevron 3 (on the low right) and chevron 4 (on the low left) are simply sounds of chevrons 8 & 9 activations ...

What do you think about those two totally different solutions ?

puddlejumper747
July 23rd, 2004, 06:12 AM
It can be strange, but me too I think I've heard 9 chevrons activating on Atlantis Gate during the off-world activation, when Sheppard's team come back to the Ancient city. Yeah ! Because we see the 3 first chevrons activating, with sounds.
Ha! I told you guys it wasn't just me! :D :D
I swear, it doesn't make sense to me yet, but I heard what sounds like at least 11 chevrons being encoded at the Atlantis gate before Sheppard came back through in the puddle jumper. And almost every time you hear the sound, one chevron lights up on the gate from right to left (clockwise). I went back and counted, but I still can't figure it out.

And I also thought that we had figured out (in thread Complete Gate-Dialing Theory) that 6 symbol dialing was all that was needed for the DHD. So why did the Wraith ship need to dial 7 then the BBB? And we know the ninth chevron doesn't connect to a space gate, b/c the Atlantis team only needed to dial 6 (or 7?) to send the MALP through. So, yea... I give up...

VirtualCLD
July 23rd, 2004, 06:19 AM
No, you need to dial 7 symbols, I thought that was finalized in the Gate-Dialing thread. The off-world DHDs are missing one symbol in the Milky Way galaxy. The Off-world DHDs in pegasus galaxy are the same prop, just done up differently. As a result, they also have 38 symbols and and one BBB, but the Pegasus gates appear to only have 36 symbols. This has become very confusing.

puddlejumper747
July 23rd, 2004, 06:26 AM
The Pegasus Gates have only 36 symbols too?!?!
Do we know for sure, b/c I was hoping that it might only be the digital Atlantis gate with 36 spaces... But then can the Atlantis gate change it's symbols, b/c they all light up when a wormhole is engaged... <head spinning... so...confused...:)>

puddlejumper747
July 23rd, 2004, 06:36 AM
And 7 symbol dialing wasn't really finalized in the Gate Dialing thread. For manual dialing, yes, but most people still think you push 6 and the BRB automatically encodes the 7th. But I'm not sure if we actually did see only 6 symbols encoded sometimes in SG-1. I've heard it claimed, but maybe it was just a bad camera angle... :S :)

VirtualCLD
July 23rd, 2004, 06:39 AM
Supposedly, he have clearly seen SG-1 dial 7 symbols. However, some people believe they have dialed, on occasion, as little as 5 and as much as 9. I really don't know what to think.

We also believe, in another thread, that the pegasus gates ony have 36 symbols, even though they are digital and it doesn't mean they couldn't have more. However, there are s36 symbol buttons and one activation button on the control pannel in both Atlantis AND the puddlejumper. The off-world DHDs have 38 b/c they are a reused prop from SG-1. Supposedly, the way the SG-A gates work is, each symbol has it's own unique position along the ring. When you dial it, you see the symbol light up and then flash and appear in every single space along the staragate until it gets to the locking position you dialed. If every single symbol has it's own, unique position, this would support the only 36 symbols theory.

Anubis
July 23rd, 2004, 06:56 AM
Really, we only dial 6 chevrons because we also have to include the point of origin as a seventh.

VirtualCLD
July 23rd, 2004, 06:58 AM
You mean with teh SGC dialing computer?

Anubis
July 23rd, 2004, 07:02 AM
Well, we only engage six chevrons because we have no choice for the point of origin. So with the computer or DHD, it doesn't really matter

Harlan
July 23rd, 2004, 07:06 AM
I heard what sounds like at least 11 chevrons being encoded at the Atlantis gate before Sheppard came back through in the puddle jumper. And almost every time you hear the sound, one chevron lights up on the gate from right to left (clockwise).
Indeed !

I've counted 11 activation sounds too ;) !

This is very ... well confusing !

Anubis
July 23rd, 2004, 07:10 AM
It was 11 but I counted 10 at first! Silly me! :)

VirtualCLD
July 23rd, 2004, 07:13 AM
Well, we only engage six chevrons because we have no choice for the point of origin. So with the computer or DHD, it doesn't really matter
Ah, ok, yes I see what you mean. But when dialing an off-world DHD you enter the 6 address chevrons, then you must press the PoO chevron, THEN press the BRB. What would make sense is if all DHDs had the 38 symbols that are supposedly common on all gates, then the BRB represented the unique PoO symbol only that gate had. However, as we have seen, not all gates have a unique PoO symbol, and the DHD has 38 symbol buttons, including the PoO symbol. Unfortuantely, the DHD is missing one symbol (darn prop designers).

The SG-A off-world DHDs have two extra symbol/chevron buttons. Again, it's because of the whole recycled prop thing. Very frustrating inconsistancies.

Anubis
July 23rd, 2004, 07:15 AM
Yeah I agree, if all gates were the same, we'd be able to avoid a few long-winded situations

puddlejumper747
July 23rd, 2004, 07:23 AM
Supposedly, he have clearly seen SG-1 dial 7 symbols. However, some people believe they have dialed, on occasion, as little as 5 and as much as 9. I really don't know what to think.

About the 5-9 symbol dialing, I think I figured that out already (from one of my previous posts):

1) In Demons, Carter dials one button, then stops. When she continues later, we see her physically push 3 more chevrons, then the camera switches away from her. In the backround we now hear the the sound of 5 different chevrons being locked. I think it is possible that the scene we are seeing is not being played out in real time. We see Carter push chevrons 2,3, and 4; then when we jump over to O'Neill, we hear again her push 2,3,4, then 5 and 6 in the backround of the conversation. This would mean that there were indeed only 6 chevrons encoded, and that this was simply an instance when two important things were happening at once, we saw both happen one after another, and we just weren't supposed to really notice.

2) As for any of these supposed 3-4 total chevron addresses, all I can say is that yes, we only see them push a few buttons, but then the camera moves away for a few minutes before coming back to see them push the BRB, or we only see them pushing the last few chevrons because they have already been working at it while the camera was elsewhere.
And about the 11 sounds, maybe the gate makes a noise for each symbol lighting up AND each symbol being encoded? That cuts the number in half and maybe we just didn't hear the first few?... (or something else...)

Anubis
July 23rd, 2004, 07:26 AM
Perhaps one for each thing the gate does. Nice sounds

puddlejumper747
July 23rd, 2004, 07:29 AM
Ah, ok, yes I see what you mean. But when dialing an off-world DHD you enter the 6 address chevrons, then you must press the PoO chevron, THEN press the BRB. What would make sense is if all DHDs had the 38 symbols that are supposedly common on all gates, then the BRB represented the unique PoO symbol only that gate had. However, as we have seen, not all gates have a unique PoO symbol, and the DHD has 38 symbol buttons, including the PoO symbol. Unfortuantely, the DHD is missing one symbol (darn prop designers).

The SG-A off-world DHDs have two extra symbol/chevron buttons. Again, it's because of the whole recycled prop thing. Very frustrating inconsistancies.
Maybe they should just rip one of the extra buttons off each of the Atlantis DHDs and duct-tape them on to the Milky-Way DHDs!!! :D :D :D

Anubis
July 23rd, 2004, 07:30 AM
I wonder if it would work! :D

VirtualCLD
July 23rd, 2004, 07:32 AM
LOL, another use for Duct tape, DHD repair work. Gotta love duct tape!!! It works on almost everthing.... except DUCTS!

Anubis
July 23rd, 2004, 07:33 AM
Best earth invention so far!

VirtualCLD
July 23rd, 2004, 07:35 AM
That's why we keep beating all of our alien enemies!!!! They don't have duct tape!!!!

OK, this is a bit off-topic, so back to nine chevrons lighting up... I like the navigation lights for a ship going through teh stargate idea.