Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It may still have energy, just needs time to recharge. Or perhaps it still has energy but the glowly squids are just all used but the power source is still usable. Makes sense!
    __

__

Comment

I think the ninth might be used to specify which gate to use If there are two gates at the same co-ordinates, for example if there's one orbiting a planet and one on the planet's surface. You dial normally to get to the planet and dial 9 to go into space. It might also be used to go from the space gate to the planet gate at the same coordinates, although that's not really likely since you could just fly down to the planet.

In one of the clips you see a wraith dart coming out from a planet stargate, I think they went through the space one and out the planet gate, although they could be two totally unrelated shots.

That whole issue of to dial 9 you have to be able to dial 8, so they should be able to get home, isn't really true, to get to another Galaxy the 8th symbol has to be the POO, but if dialing 9 the 9th is the POO, so 8 symbols will only lock if the 8th isn't the POO.
      My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

It is possible. But I like the idea of having two gates. One on the planet, and one orbiting the planet!
        __

__

Comment

In regards to the need for "additional" power for the eighth chevron, what's always confused me is this - if the gate needs "more" power, then why not just plug a naquadah generator, 2000 MW nuclear reactor, etc. straight into the darned gate?

My feeling is that eighth (and possibly ninth) chevron usage is dependent upon a SPECIFIC type of energy, and not necessarily the quantity. It's been mentioned a few times that the Stargate itself doesn't take much energy to run normally (we've seen it powered by the batteries from a truck in "1969"), and even if intergalactic travel requires more juice, the MacGyver-style ZPM that O'Neill constructed in The Fifth Race only had the small vial of liquid naquadah from Teal'c's staff weapon to power it.
          "So are we taking your car or mine, or am I just gonna follow you?"
          Daniel Jackson - "Affinity"

Comment

Just because these generators are a good power source doesn't mean it's a better way
            __

__

Comment

Good point chevron_nine, although I don't think it's feasible for the ninth chevron to be a "planet or space" deterministic factor. If that was the case, then the Stargate from which one is dialing would have to be able to sense, pre-wormhole, if there is more than one Stargate present. Even if it could, I still doubt the limitiations of the network would allow for it, since it's been established that a Stargate requires a planet-ish gravitational field in proximity for it to be able to work (the PoO), and only one Stargate can use the said field for operations (for example, when the gate at the SGC could not function when the Russian gate had an open wormhole in "Watergate").

Comment

"The only way that would work, I suppose, is for the gate to still possess a typical, seven-symbol gate address, but dialing that address would result in a failure should the gate be in space; at that time, the ninth chevron "safety override" would have to be implemented to force the wormhole open."

Another problem is that the Stargate has been successfully used in space at least twice so far...When Carter lobbed an active Stargate into a sun to blow it up and when in the first season the team traveled to a ship in orbit...the gate ceased to work once they flew away from the planet...another theory that I just thought of, and someone else might have I dont know, is maybe the 9th chevron could be an establishing point used only once when you are trying to create a new PoO since we have already been told that taking a gate from one place to another will still work if it gets close enough to a place that already has an established PoO...the 9th chevron could be an intergalatic railroad stake

Comment

We know what the eighth chevron does, but now there's a lot of confusion over the ninth. I think it could be used for many different things, but possibly not space/planet
                  __

__

Comment

Too true, they_call_me_tim, and, in fact, it was used in space on Apophis' ship in "The Serpent's Lair;" however, in all cases, they were dialing <i>from</i> that location, not to it, and there was atmosphere "in the ship" at least, although I don't know if there was atmosphere in the cargo bay in Exodus.

Comment

That would be great if we could dial in hyperspace
                      __

__

Comment

Well, if something massive enough went through hyperspace, think it's possible? Like, the Death Star? Anubis is enough like Darth Vader anyhow :-P

Comment

I don't think it's possible to have an active gate in hyperspace. Isn't the definition of wormhole something like "a tunnel through space". Although I might be mistaken.
                          My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

I think it would be great to have an active gate in hyperspace!
                            __

__

Comment

Nah, the way i understand it, the wormhole itself exists in hyperspace, but each apeture has to be in normal space.

Hyperspace = dimension where you can fold space to make distances shorter....sort of....
                              sigpic

Comment

Why couldn't the Atlantis team get home? Two things I was thinking about.

1) The home made ZPM O'Neill made in the Fifth Race, I'm sure they could make another one by backwards engineering it and give it to the Atlantis team.

2) In the alternnate reality when the had to contact the Asgard to same their alternate selves they used a naquadah generator to contact them. Why can't they just give the team a one so that they can come back.

Comment

Working...
                                X