This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone notice?

That the Ori beings seem to be a combo of 3 groups so far in the SG universe. Well they're Ancients and ascended ones at that. They also suck the life force of their followers similar to the Wraith. They also have the arrogance and the "worship me for I am holy... and just plain better than you" mentality of the Goa'uld.

So you could say that they are a combo of the Wraith and Goa'uld and to make them extra bad.... TBTB made them into the evil version of the Alterans.

Im just hoping their ships isn't made up of cell-block machines like something similar to the Replicators.
    http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Hmmm.. Yes. I hoped that they would be something a little different. I hoped that they wouldnt reveal their motive until like Season 11.

I hope their ships are GIGANTIC white and gold crusader armor like ships.

Comment

Sure I did. Orlin told a pretty significant story, which answered a lot of questions about the goals and origins of the Ori and the Alterans, their similarities and differences. Both are of human origin and a political dispute lead the Ori to make war on the Alterans.

My one problem is that for those of who didn't want to believe that the Ori storyline was in particular anti-religion, the notion of a surreptitious energy theft in worship spills the beans. Worship should play no part in religion, or a religion should be considered illegitimate if it's participants worship God? Sounds anti religion to me.

Comment

Im guessing those 6-hour worship sessions is when the Ori can have their time to sap the lifeforce energy of their devotees.

I think they made the Ori really evil because if the Ori were to actually ascend their followers.... well, then they are telling the truth and granting something good (ascension) but in the evil way of forced upon conversion & worship. This would fighting back too complicated and extremely difficult.

How would you fight a group where their leaders are being rather oppressive, yet will give their followers the ulitmate reward? Being forced to live a crappy mortal existance in return to becoming an all-knowing god-like entity. Not a bad trade off for many I suppose. Its like being told to spend 1 year in prison and in the end you get rewarded $50million, a big house, a fancy car, and free airline travel for life.
        Last edited by Peoples_General; 17 September 2005, 09:25 AM.
        http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
        http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

the ori are like the wraith. they suck life force. the wraith just do it physically while the ori do it mentally

the wraith don't disguise their motives, humans = dinner
          but the ori deceive and lie to people to futher their own survival/growth in power
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Im really disappointed that this is how the story is going, the Ori sucking mental worship? pssh so sad
            Sam: Looks like an untouched paradise
            Teal’c: Appearances may be deceiving
            Jack: One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor
            Daniel: A fool’s paradise is a wise man’s hell
            Jack: Never run with scissors?

Comment

I like where this is going with the Ori. The best opart is we still only know parts of the story. I think the best part is stoll to come. Although last nights kicked alot of but and gav up alot of info.
              *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
              *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
              *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
              *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
              *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
              *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
              *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Im guessing those 6-hour worship sessions is when the Ori can have their time to sap the lifeforce energy of their devotees.
                I'd forgotten about the 6-hour prostration sessions. Are they daily, or just on the sabbath?

Comment

I don't think the Orii literally suck out the 'worshipping energy' like some people think; that would in fact diminish their followers, which is something the Orii DON'T want to happen.

Since it sounds very similar to how Dungeons and Dragons pantheons work (in fact they probably got it from something even more established), I'll explain. The gods of D&D gain power in direct relation to how many followers they have worshipping them. The larger number of followers begets a more powerful god. The simple act of 'worship' is enough. Since gods like to butt heads against each other they jealously guard their worshippers from other gods to safeguard both their own power and to curb the power of their adversaries. They have mortal priests that specialize in this very thing with promises of becoming closer to their master, and their master in turn grants them some of his/her own power to enforce his/her will.

So far it appears the Orii operate on a communal basis, so you take the previous example and axe the competing gods. Now you have all the gods working for a common purpose-- increase their communal might by attracting more worshippers. Their ultimate goal is to gain more worshippers. Those that oppose their worship must be destroyed lest they endanger the power influx. The priors are just like the D&D priests-- representatives of their masters' power meant to convert the masses and slay the unbelievers.

There is likely something else which the writers haven't told us yet (because I don't think the Orii are after power for power's sake).
                  Last edited by Amakusa; 17 September 2005, 03:42 PM. Reason: Adding link to priors and D&D priests
                  I will rule the world... and find that truly good cup of coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary83uk
                    Im really disappointed that this is how the story is going, the Ori sucking mental worship? pssh so sad
                    Yeah, but you had to see that one coming a mile away, right?
                    'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
                      I like where this is going with the Ori. The best opart is we still only know parts of the story. I think the best part is stoll to come. Although last nights kicked alot of but and gav up alot of info.
                      I totally agree with this. The best stuff still is to come. And I can't wait to see what tptb have up their sleeves. Friday's eps did kick butt, and I think the rest of this season will as well.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                      X