This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image Hosting

While I was looking at some threads last night I took at some pics members have posted. When I check the Image properties for it, I noticed that some of the pics were hotlinked from other Stargate sites. Now to the point, hotlinking pics from other sites is wrong, It steals their bandwidth and on occasion, forces the webmasters to close their sites or ask for donations to pay for the extra bandwidth. Example, StargateCaps. If you don't want to steal from other sites bandwidth, save the file to your computer, upload it to a Image Hosting site, and post it your thread (or reply) (or somewhere else).

Recommended links:
    ImageShack (my sig is hosted by ImageShack)

If you have any more that you can think of Post them here

And by the way, was it a good idea that I started a thread on this
    sigpic

www.photobucket.com

Most sites dont mind hotlinking though if you also post a link to the site - it then becomes a form of advertising

But if they state do not hotlink like stargatecaps you should respect their wishes

For more sites see http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-image-hosting.php
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Wow, I didn't know that hotlinking to/from sites sucked up bandwith. See, I learned something. I don't hotlink a lot. I snurch whenever possible - not without permission of course though.
      TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
        Wow, I didn't know that hotlinking to/from sites sucked up bandwith. See, I learned something. I don't hotlink a lot. I snurch whenever possible - not without permission of course though.
        I learned about that a while back.
        sigpic

Comment

Hotlinking is probably the biggest scourge of the internet if you are a webmaster like me...after advertising of course...I've seen a good part of my bandwidth chewed up in the past by people posting images on message boards, and one of my friends had to pay a sizable amount for exceeding their bandwidth last year - well over £100 - because people remote linked to their pics and content.

However it amazes me how many webmasters moan about it when there are tools there that can stop people doing it, if you really wanted to...and if you really want to do something, but don't know how, you go and find out how...

To be honest, I've gotten to the stage where I don't care now...as long as people know that if they use all my bandwidth up, I am not paying for more...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
          "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee
            Hotlinking is probably the biggest scourge of the internet if you are a webmaster like me...after advertising of course...I've seen a good part of my bandwidth chewed up in the past by people posting images on message boards, and one of my friends had to pay a sizable amount for exceeding their bandwidth last year - well over £100 - because people remote linked to their pics and content.
            What is £100 in American (U.S.) dollars?
            sigpic

Comment

At the current exchange rate it is 181.076 USD

To prevent hotlinking just use a script http://www.alistapart.com/articles/hotlinking/
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                Thanks! good the know.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                  While I was looking at some threads last night I took at some pics members have posted. When I check the Image properties for it, I noticed that some of the pics were hotlinked from other Stargate sites. Now to the point, hotlinking pics from other sites is wrong, It steals their bandwidth and on occasion, forces the webmasters to close their sites or ask for donations to pay for the extra bandwidth. Example, StargateCaps. If you don't want to steal from other sites bandwidth, save the file to your computer, upload it to a Image Hosting site, and post it your thread (or reply) (or somewhere else).

Recommended links:
                  ImageShack (my sig is hosted by ImageShack)

If you have any more that you can think of Post them here

And by the way, was it a good idea that I started a thread on this
                  Thanks for pointing that out! I've pointed it out on other forums and it's amazing how many fans do it innocently, not realizing the damage they're doing to a site (not to mention, in some case, that fan's pocketbook!).

I've seen sites close down because of hotlinking, which is sad.

Comment

Hotlinking is a scourge, but it's usually done by fans of a site who have no idea they are compromising their favorite sites by doing it.

For webmasters, it's easy to thwart. Just add this to the .htaccess file in your top-level directory:

RewriteEngine on
                    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
                    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://gateworld.net/.*$ [NC]
                    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://forum.gateworld.net/.*$ [NC]
                    RewriteRule .*\.(gif|GIF|jpg|JPG)$ - [F]

Change the URLs for your site, obviously. If another site tries to call your images, the user will see a broken image on the offender's site / forum post.

Darren

Comment

Do you mind us hotlinking images from the main gateworld site into threads in the forum?
                      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                        A considerable sum when you build a site as a hobby...especially when you pay nigh-on £100 for hosting in the first place, to have a huge amount of bandwidth.

Thanks for posting that code up Darren...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                        "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

If you click the link in my above post there is a full explanation of the code
                          love Torri

Comment

You can hotlink photos from GateWorld in a post for discussion, but please don't do it for signatures and such. Thanks!
                            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

OK Thanks for the info
                              love Torri

Comment

Working...
                              X