X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fans of Stargate Covention

www.fansofstargate.com

I just learned about this today, and im there for sure. Burbank is only forty minutes from where I live (twenty five if theres no traffic). Am I the only one who had no idea about this till now?
    "When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro."-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Baltar for President.

I knew there was something going on, but it's on the other side of the country for me so I kinda tuned out and forgot about it. I'm spending my money on Gatecon, instead. And I love Vancouver way more than Burbank.

Comment

Bla. When does Arizona get a convention!?

Comment

If you click on the links you'll see there are Stargate cons in Chicago and New York as well!
        sigpic

Comment

Oh, so it's THAT one, with the whopping two people listed in my area. Double bleah on that. I'm still sticking to Gatecon. At least I know some of the crazies and there are enough of them that I can usually avoid the ones I don't like.

Comment

Personally I'm up for going to as many stargate cons as I can get to. Any that are in my immediate area are on my definite list! If I had the time I'd go to Gatecon this year too. As it stands I'm doing everything in London plus German City Con.

If there are only a few people going to the con near you I'd say go for it! A small, intimate con is way better. Is it just Amanda and Michael who are doing these - I couldn't see a guest list. But even if it was just one guest I'd still go if the con is going to be small (I'm doing the Amanda con for that reason).
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
              As it stands I'm doing everything in London plus German City Con.
              Oh yah? Maybe I'll see you at SU in November, then.

Small, intimate cons are nice. I did Agamemcon for a few years. But I'd prefer to actually know some of the peeps in that case. Make sure there are people worth hanging out with, y'know.

Comment

If SU means Stargate Universe, the L3 con in London with Amanda, Corin, Peter Deluise etc then you sure betcha I'll be there! That'll be great. I'll be able to convince you why Daniel and Jonas make such a great couple...

I didn't know a soul at the first con I ever attended! Well actually the first think I went to wasn't a con, it was an Evening With Michael Shanks, the weekend before SG4. I have no idea how I got the courage to buy a ticket. I have never been to anything like that in my life, had no idea what to expect, and had the time of my life. The following weekend at SG4 it was my first ever con and I was packing myself! It is so nerve wracking to meet people you've no idea what they're like in real life. But now I've got some really great friends out of the experience. Even if I hadn't talked to anyone online I think I'd have still gone - I hope I'd have still gone! I'd have missed out on seeing some great on stage stuff otherwise.
                sigpic

Comment

Burbank was my first SG-1 convention - it was great - they even screened the season premiere for people who missed it on Friday night. Has anyone been to both Creation and Gatecon events? How are they different? Creation is officially licensed by MGM but I'm not sure all this means. They had giveaways from MGM including cell phones for the new SG-1 game and DVD's, and MGM provided scripts for the charity auction. They also had the producer of the new themepark ride SG-3000 speak. And MGM distributed fan surveys. Does anyone know more about the differences? Do they have the same type of speakers and sell the same merchandise?

Airman

Comment

I saw the commercial on the Sci Fi Channel a week prior and saw it advertised on about five fan websites. But I wish they had started advertising it sooner so we had more time to plan for it.

Airman
                    Last edited by Airman; 16 July 2004, 05:33 PM. Reason: Perfectionist

Comment

Creation is very commercial, very corporate. It's all about sell, sell, sell. Everything they do is geared towards sucking as much money out of the attendees as they possibly can. If you are absolutely desperate and have no hope of ever attending a real convention, then a Creation event might be good for you, but speaking personally, I despise them and everything they stand for.

I think Gatecon is more relaxed and a lot more fan oriented. They have guests from all walks on the show- from the actual stars to recurring actors to FX people and producers and wardrobe... they cover just about everything. You can get a lot closer to them, too, and while there are always Security types around and volunteers, it's a better chance, I believe, for the cast and crew to get to interact with the fans.

The merchandising is probably about the same- lots of pictures, and the Lightspeed people, usually a clothing/costume thing, books, jewelry, collectible cards, etc.

Gatecon is far from perfect, and I usually end up livid and cursing them at least once per con, but I'd choose Gatecon over Creation every single time.

My personal preference is for the smaller, unofficial fan-run things. I liked Agamemcon while it lasted, too. Again, a far different atmosphere than either Creation or Gatecon, but still loads of fun.

Comment

That covention was awsome! There could have been more merchandise, a lot more merchandise, but it was their first one, and it was ALL about the stars speaking anyway. It was just fun hanging out with other SG-1 fans.
                        "When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro."-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Baltar for President.

Comment

Working...
                        X