This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beowulf & Grendel

Please forgive me if this thread is redundant (I searched, but found no Beowulf thread), but for those of us who are interested and may not be aware:

Beowulf & Grendel (the Scandinavian one with Gerard Butler, not the Hollywood one) will be premiering at the Toronto Film Festival this month. So it won't be long until the rest of us get to see it.

Here's a link if you want to check it out: http://www.beowulf-movie.com/
    Last edited by SyFyFantasy; 15 September 2005, 09:16 AM. Reason: grammatical error
    I love Stargate and blue jello!!
    "We can only hope that this will be the last footwear to fall"--Thor, from "Unnatural Selection"

I won't be going to see it, I can tell ya that right now.
    sigpic

Comment

I finally found where I had posted this info before (in August).
      I'm so sorry everyone. I totally forgot I had posted this.

As Rosanne Rosanna Danna used to say: "Never mind". I'm so embarrassed.

It would seem, after reading the [first] post afterward, it was not appreciated anyway.
      Last edited by SyFyFantasy; 16 September 2005, 03:51 AM. Reason: corrected grammer and content
      "We can only hope that this will be the last footwear to fall"--Thor, from "Unnatural Selection"

Comment

*Ears perk up with the mention of Gerad Butler*

There's two versions? Who's in the other one?

Comment

Whoa....talk about random coincidence of the month.
          We just finished reading selections from Beowulf (plus learning about the Anglo-Saxon history/culture) in my English class this week. I hadn't heard about the movie, though. It should be pretty cool if they can pull it all off right.
          There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
            *Ears perk up with the mention of Gerad Butler*

There's two versions? Who's in the other one?
            Hollywood version: Robert Zemekis (of 'Back to the Future' fame) aiming for 2007. Here's a link I found, I'm sure there are others: http://www.countingdown.com/movies/3351082

I think the Scandanavians willl have sweeped up all the Oscars by then, at least I hope so. The only names on the list that I know are Gerard Butler (Phantom of the Opera, Atilla) and Stellan Skarsgård (so many, I can't think of one right now). Really accomplished, worthy actors worth their weight in gold.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is interested in this. Thanks for writing guys.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
              Whoa....talk about random coincidence of the month.
              We just finished reading selections from Beowulf (plus learning about the Anglo-Saxon history/culture) in my English class this week. I hadn't heard about the movie, though. It should be pretty cool if they can pull it all off right.
              Dear PuddleJumper:
              I had to read Beowulf when I was in high school, too, and that was about hundred years ago. From what I understand, this is the oldest story of humankind. It was told by word of mouth for over 500 years[?] before someone actually wrote it down. And it's still being told today. Pretty amazing, huh? I hope you enjoy your classroom work on it. Study hard and have fun!!
              Last edited by SyFyFantasy; 16 September 2005, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Frankly, this movie frightens me.

I study medieval texts for a living, and early interviews with the actors
                Spoiler:
                indicate that the writers have added a racial theme to the story of Beowulf. Grendel is a troll, and when Beowulf is sent to kill him, he realizes that everything in his society is not clear cut. (I'm not making that up. It was on SciFi.com a couple of months ago.)

I think Gerad Butler is a fantastic actor, but after the atrocious King Arthur of a few years ago, I am leary of film makers touching Beowulf. It is a difficult work to attempt, especially given the intracies of oral and print traditions, religous conflict, and the nuances of Old English culture. The poem is too large for a normal film's running time.

The other Beowulf in production in an animated film with many from Hollywood providing voices, such as Angelina Jolie as Grendal's mother. The screen play is being adapted by Neil Gaiman, so I have more hope for this movie.
                "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
                  Frankly, this movie frightens me.

I study medieval texts for a living, and early interviews with the actors
                  Spoiler:
                  indicate that the writers have added a racial theme to the story of Beowulf. Grendel is a troll, and when Beowulf is sent to kill him, he realizes that everything in his society is not clear cut. (I'm not making that up. It was on SciFi.com a couple of months ago.)

I think Gerad Butler is a fantastic actor, but after the atrocious King Arthur of a few years ago, I am leary of film makers touching Beowulf. It is a difficult work to attempt, especially given the intracies of oral and print traditions, religous conflict, and the nuances of Old English culture. The poem is too large for a normal film's running time.

The other Beowulf in production in an animated film with many from Hollywood providing voices, such as Angelina Jolie as Grendal's mother. The screen play is being adapted by Neil Gaiman, so I have more hope for this movie.

Dear MasySyma:
                  I hear you. This could be a total literature-to-film disaster, but after what Peter Jackson did for Tolkien, I'm hopeful. I concur with you, it could be awful.

Speaking of Peter Jackson, has anyone seen the trailer for King Kong yet? Opens December 2005. Here's a link: http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/king_kong/
                  Last edited by SyFyFantasy; 16 September 2005, 04:41 AM. Reason: Added a link

Comment

The trailer looks interesting. Admittedly, I trust Peter Jackson (for the most part), but I'm starting to wish that film makers would stay away from my literary period. I always end up having to strip away people's misconceptions of the period thanks to film makers claiming historically accurate films that are tons of mixed-up plot pieces in reality.

For example, the Brothers Grimm movie was a disaster. I'm teaching a unit on fairytales currently, and within five minutes, my students knew more about the Grimm brothers than the script writer appears to.
                    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I try to think of it in this perspective: it's Hollywood's role to introduce things like Beowulf, LoTR, etc. and inspire/spark an interest in the subject. They want to make money, and you are exactly right, they are not (for the most part) even a little bit interested in being acurate.

The problem, the way I see it, is that many young people (read inexperienced people) will see a movie and think that it is 100% accurate. Forgetting, or not even realizing, that it is a very subjective medium.

The only true representation is the original work and that's where you--MasySyma--come in. I, for one, would love to sit down with you and have you teach me Beowulf before I go see the movie. Would you suggest the name of a book that has a lot of notes that you think would be helpful? The more remedial, the better (for me ).
                      Last edited by SyFyFantasy; 16 September 2005, 09:58 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Well the Gerad Butler one doesn't sound like a typical hollywood historical movie. I'm looking forward to the trailer.

Comment

Hmm Im not as educated on the matter as some of you people - the only Beowolf thing I had previously heard of was on the Lord of the Rings commentary, where they were discussing how JRR Tolkien may have had some inspiration from it.

I, however, do understand that there are diferences between original works and thier adaptations. I saw this in LotR (though there arn't really many diferences that come to mind at the moment ). However I cant see myself getting into Beowolf at all. Unless it was in a movie format, that is.

What im trying to say is that, although for the purists there may be many differences, a lot of people are absorbing it for the first time. Thus way more people will absorb Beowolf, which I believe is a good thing.

(Of coarse there is the danger that if the movie version is too off the original, it could become a different piece, and people will be absorbing the wrong thing )

Comment

Originally posted by Qtyled
                            (Of coarse there is the danger that if the movie version is too off the original, it could become a different piece, and people will be absorbing the wrong thing )
                            At least teachers would know if their students had actually read the poem or if they just borrowed out the movie.

Comment

I've yet to see a film adaptation of any classic story which truly gives justice to the original, and I well imagine Beowulf, an amazing, breathtaking epic, is butchered in the same way.

Comment

Working...
                              X