PDA

View Full Version : Off World Atlantis DHD Shown in Preview

David85
July 5th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Well after watching the little preview thing on Sci-Fi and remembering how people here we agrueing about what the DHDs would look like on other worlds on Atlantis. They were shown tonight.

Spoilers I guess because the people here are freaks...

They are blue. From the clip I saw they look just like the regular with a different color bulb. Big blue center.

The preview looked great, and the city looks massive.

My favorite line of the whole thing was from a producer of SG-1...

"I have never gotten more hate mail than the weeks right after that episode aired." That Episode would be the one with Pete.

It looks great, but I guess anything looks better than season seven of SG-1. Can't wait until next week.

DownFallAngel
July 5th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Blue is the new orange.

Erik Pasternak
July 5th, 2004, 07:10 PM
I loved the new DHD! Yeah, it was similar to the "old" one, but the gates are similar too, so it makes sense. LESS THAN TWO WEEKS TO ATLANTIS! Oh, YEAH!

DownFallAngel
July 5th, 2004, 07:11 PM
11 days and counting!

ShadowMaat
July 5th, 2004, 07:17 PM
DHD lit from below to help keep coffee cups warm all day. Dang clever of those Ancients, if ya ask me. ;)

David85
July 5th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Blue is the new orange.

Yes it is, and Justin said the same thing last year. :)

The coffee bit was great. I wonder if they brought any with them. :)

Mio
July 5th, 2004, 07:35 PM
the DHD's 'keys' looked like they were topped with something transparent (though i could be wrong, it was brief, but I did rewind with the TiVo)

the way the big blue thing in the center is set is cooler too...It's got a slightly different beveled thing around it.

Also, it confirms that Atlantis gets the Uber-DHD, and no one else does!

Huzzah!

uknesvuinng
July 5th, 2004, 07:43 PM
I was probably the only one hoping they'd stay with the same look. I'm slightly annoyed, but I guess the Ancients just wanted to color code the galaxies.

DHD lit from below to help keep coffee cups warm all day. Dang clever of those Ancients, if ya ask me. ;)
Not to mention they built their city just like Hewlett's Malibu mansion. Now we know why they worked so hard at time travel.

Please just color coding. Please no cheesy "SHINY NEW ADVANCED" gate (city gate excluded). Please, please, please....

David85
July 5th, 2004, 07:50 PM
I think it was said that the off world gates would be the same one used for SG-1, to save money. People if they have better gates in the new galazy it will start up some trouble. Like why put new ones so your enemy can use it? Or why not make the Earth one, the one they came from have better ones.

I hope that the DHDs are colored coded, I would like that.

July 5th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I think that only Atlantis had a unique gate becuase it is the origin, Ancients just changed the colors in different galaxies, so that they won't be mest up...what's next? green? lol

Erik Pasternak
July 5th, 2004, 08:41 PM
I think that only Atlantis had a unique gate becuase it is the origin, Ancients just changed the colors in different galaxies, so that they won't be mest up...what's next? green? lol
I happen to like green, got a problem with that? (And besides, I don't think they'd use green as that might screw up green screen effects.)

ShadowMaat
July 5th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Yeah, well, I would have said that blue would screw up the bluescreen effects... Or maybe they don't use those anymore.

Green is the new blue?

David85
July 5th, 2004, 08:46 PM
They use green screens more, but most of the DHD aren't anywhere them anyways, even if they were I doubt they would mess them up. But why are we worrying about this now? One spinoff at a time. :)

Erik Pasternak
July 5th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Yeah, well, I would have said that blue would screw up the bluescreen effects... Or maybe they don't use those anymore.

Green is the new blue?Yeah. I took a tour of NBC studios a couple of months ago and they told us that they changed it from blue to green.

Erik Pasternak
July 5th, 2004, 08:48 PM
One spinoff at a time. :)Now, now, you can't have too many Stargate spin-offs.

David85
July 5th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Now, now, you can't have too many Stargate spin-offs.

Yes you can..

They could do...
SG-2
SG-3
SG-4

:-)

Plus look at Star Trek, over time people stop caring.

Anubis
July 5th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Too right, that's why we don't want too many!

Positively Kanyon
July 5th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Could you post a screenshot for those less fortunate in Australia that can't get the Sci-Fi channel?

Anubis
July 5th, 2004, 11:08 PM
I'd like to see a picture, since I'm not in the US and probably won't get the Atlantis stuff in the UK although it is possible

hail_jack
July 6th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Go to Gateworld's main page its up there....

PYRO
July 6th, 2004, 02:36 AM
StarGate: El Dorodo

Can't wait! :D

DownFallAngel
July 6th, 2004, 05:48 AM
GATEWORLD TOTALLY HAS SCREENCAPS! MAN THESE GUYS ROCK!

http://gateworld.net/articles/features/lowdown2004.shtml

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Those screenshots are amazing, and he DHD looks the same, but with different symbols and different colours. I really hope the Lowdown airs in the UK

David85
July 6th, 2004, 06:54 AM
You got 22 minute preview on the DVD, so don't need the Lowdown. :)

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 07:04 AM
True, bu I still want to watch the Lowdown

Teal'c
July 6th, 2004, 07:07 AM
You got 22 minute preview on the DVD, so don't need the Lowdown. :)
Of course, you can always have both! :D

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 07:09 AM
I think the Lowdown seems better! :D

David85
July 6th, 2004, 07:16 AM
You give America the "preview", it won't be one sense it won't come out in a week, and we will give you the Lowdown. I'll send a diplomat over to work this out. :D

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Hmmm...I can wait...for a while longer! :D

DownFallAngel
July 6th, 2004, 07:29 AM
They don't include the LOWDOWN specials on the dvds?!

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 07:33 AM
What you get as the preview is not the lowdown

Jonas Quinn
July 6th, 2004, 08:28 AM
I think it was said that the off world gates would be the same one used for SG-1, to save money. People, if they have better gates in the new galazy it will start up some trouble.
They couldn't use the same Gates that SG-1 uses because they'd have Milky Way symbols, instead of Pegasus glyphs. I do think that Atlantis will be the only Stargate with the light up symbols and the force field, though.

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 08:32 AM
By the time they use the different gates, they might as well just get themselves a new set of about three or four Atlantis gates!

David85
July 6th, 2004, 10:57 AM
They couldn't use the same Gates that SG-1 uses because they'd have Milky Way symbols, instead of Pegasus glyphs. I do think that Atlantis will be the only Stargate with the light up symbols and the force field, though.

I didn't think of that but didn't Gateworld have an interview that they said the shows would share a gate?

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 11:19 AM
They might use the outline of the gate, but perhaps not the actual symbols

Positively Kanyon
July 6th, 2004, 05:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that the gates will be the same with the same glyphs but the DHD will have Red bulb for Milky Way galaxy and blue bulb for Pegasus galaxy. I'd imagine that the Ancients did that to differentiate the galaxies, and to make it easier for the audience to identify the two shows...

Now you run into the problem that if the two galaxies are using the same glyphs and those glyphs were based on constellations in the Milky Way, shouldn't the glyphs on the Pegasus gate use constellations that can be seen in that galaxy?

Anubis
July 6th, 2004, 11:09 PM
We have already seen the gates are different, with the different symbols, and now the DHD has a blue engage chevron. So there are some differences

DownFallAngel
July 7th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Do you think the Asgard have each type of gate some where in their Galaxy?

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Do you think the Asgard have each type of gate some where in their Galaxy?
No. The Atlantis gate is probably unique. Atlantis is the crown jewel of the ancient empire. The main entrance/exit to the city has to be cool.

DownFallAngel
July 7th, 2004, 12:42 PM
So atlantis is the only place with a blue gate? Or the pegasus galazy is full of blue gates? Or is it atlantis has a blue gates and the planets have orange gates with a blue DHD?

Anubis
July 7th, 2004, 01:05 PM
It will be interesting too see what types of gates there are

David85
July 7th, 2004, 03:38 PM
So atlantis is the only place with a blue gate? Or the pegasus galazy is full of blue gates? Or is it atlantis has a blue gates and the planets have orange gates with a blue DHD?

By the looks of it they are all blue. Guesses are that it's for color coding the systems.

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 03:46 PM
But they are all probably Moving-gates, atlantis being the only light-up one, right?

Positively Kanyon
July 7th, 2004, 04:44 PM
We have already seen the gates are different, with the different symbols, and now the DHD has a blue engage chevron. So there are some differences

I was under the assumption from interviews on Gateworld and other various sources, that the gates in the Pegasus galaxy are the same as the Milky Way galaxy, and the Atlantis gate being unique as it's a "hub" gate.

How could you assertain from those small images that the symbols are different on the DHD? Plus, spoiler images of the gates on various worlds haven't been either shown or released yet, so we don't know for certain if the glyphs on the gate are actually different? How they do this when they are using the same production gates for both shows boggles the mind, maybe the inner track is replaceable?

Chevron_nine
July 7th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Well practically all of the atlantis advertisements have old-school gates with blue chevrons. They even had the same symbols as the milky way ones. They had plenty of time to design the ads as most of them have only come out recently, so it's probably not just early design sketches. The only one that's an early design is the one on stargateatlantis.com

I'm pretty sure they'll be using the same offworld prop gate but changing the light colors, same with the DHD.

Another thing to notice is the Atlantis uber-gate only has 36 symbols. If you count the symbols between each chevron there are 4. 4x9=36. The normal ones have 39 symbols.

David85
July 7th, 2004, 06:38 PM
^^^ That's what I thought but others say different.

I was thinking about it. If the Atlantis gate has different icons on it than the Earth one than how can we dial home? You can't dial a phone number if there is no numbers and you can't dial a gate if the symbols are different.

Positively Kanyon
July 7th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Well the inner track isn't the usual spinning disc, it's made up of a light pattern to represent the glyphs... maybe the symbols can change on the Atlantis gate, like a monitor?

Anubis
July 7th, 2004, 11:09 PM
That would be cool. You select what symbol set you want on the gate to go to any address! Cool

Mio
July 8th, 2004, 06:46 AM
That would be cool. You select what symbol set you want on the gate to go to any address! Cool
Dr. Weir: Dial the gate!

Person with no name hitting buttons: I'm sorry ma'am, but the gate is refusing any address.

Dr. Weir: Wait. Is that a smiley face?

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Hehehe! I totally agree

uknesvuinng
July 8th, 2004, 05:48 PM
^^^ That's what I thought but others say different.

I was thinking about it. If the Atlantis gate has different icons on it than the Earth one than how can we dial home? You can't dial a phone number if there is no numbers and you can't dial a gate if the symbols are different.
How could you dial anywhere in Pegasus with Milky Way constellations? The gates HAVE to have Pegasus constellations or they wouldn't be able to dial within the Pegasus galaxy, or they'd have to use 8 symbol addresses all the time (though using much less power). 6 symbol destinations use the intersection of 3d spaces between 3 pairs of constellations to narrow down an area to dial (since planets move and a point system would be in a constant state of change). 7 symbol destinations use the 3 pairs to determine an area while the 7th tells in to go in that direction a certain distance. Which means 8 symbol destinations (all 9 cheverons) would logically represent distances too large to be represented by 1 symbol (kinda sucks the mystique right out of cheveron 9, eh?). The Atlantis team would have to use 8 symbols to get back to Earth, the address most likely located in the Ancients dialing computer (since the Ancients seem so fond of Earth).

Unfortunately the phone metaphor only works so well, but it's not too bad.

Selmak
July 8th, 2004, 09:13 PM
The DHD's are cool but I was hoping that they would be different from the normal DHD's not just blue.

Torley
July 8th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Maybe they'll find a "newer", Ancient speed-dial device. Or one that does call-waiting or macro-dials planets with a single press of a button!

Mio
July 8th, 2004, 10:12 PM
How could you dial anywhere in Pegasus with Milky Way constellations? The gates HAVE to have Pegasus constellations or they wouldn't be able to dial within the Pegasus galaxy, or they'd have to use 8 symbol addresses all the time (though using much less power). 6 symbol destinations use the intersection of 3d spaces between 3 pairs of constellations to narrow down an area to dial (since planets move and a point system would be in a constant state of change). 7 symbol destinations use the 3 pairs to determine an area while the 7th tells in to go in that direction a certain distance. Which means 8 symbol destinations (all 9 cheverons) would logically represent distances too large to be represented by 1 symbol (kinda sucks the mystique right out of cheveron 9, eh?). The Atlantis team would have to use 8 symbols to get back to Earth, the address most likely located in the Ancients dialing computer (since the Ancients seem so fond of Earth).

Unfortunately the phone metaphor only works so well, but it's not too bad. No. The symbols are worthless. The glyphs are, imho, only used as a visual representation.

Every glyph is probably assigned a number. We do it, it would make sense for the ancients to do it, as the DHD program probably interprets numbers, not symbols. We use ASCII, the only ASCII code I can remember at the moment is 34, or: "

Of course, the ancients probably use Octal numbers (fifth race)...but that is irrelevent to my point.

Someone dials up 7 numbers, the DHD sees:

36, 28, 3, 12, 2, 7, 39

Ok, 39 is the PoO.....we dial

Someone dials 8, we see:

36, 28, 3, 12, 2, 7, 14, 39

Ok, We see 8. Let's check the built in database of Galaxies. Hmm, Galaxy 14 (symbol 7). Ok, so let's see what 36-28-3-12-2-7 in Galaxy 14 is....Kawoosh, open wormhole.

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Nice figures!

Mio
July 9th, 2004, 06:30 AM
I have way too much free time on my hands :\

Anubis
July 9th, 2004, 06:49 AM
I agree. A little too much

rihannsu
July 9th, 2004, 07:27 AM
So, building on Hewlett's comment that the DHD is great for keeping coffe warm, do you think they'll make it to the Java Galaxy?

Do the gate addresses include Decaf? Expresso? Latte?

Anubis
July 9th, 2004, 07:29 AM
lol It may be possible

KorbenDirewolf
July 9th, 2004, 01:00 PM
I still think they need caller id on the gates. Or at least some way to tell where an incoming wormhole is coming from.

Mio
July 9th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Ah, but then they'd have to introduce a Caller ID Blocking feature.

Then the Caller ID Blocker IDer would cost extra......It would just be a mess, We'd have another angry senator down our throats.

Anubis
July 9th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Good idea. I think that would work

David85
July 9th, 2004, 01:14 PM
I still think they need caller id on the gates. Or at least some way to tell where an incoming wormhole is coming from.

Problem with that is that the Stargate in the preview is an out going wormhole. It would be like having the caller ID set to say who you are calling. :)

Anubis
July 9th, 2004, 02:29 PM
True, but a good idea