X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperspace Window

Can someone clear this up for me.

When a ship generates a hyperspace window, can another ship, without generating one of their own, follow that ship in?

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

I don't know if that's ever been addressed. In the case of Stargate, I think so, you just wouldn't be able to control where and when you came out. If anyone is curious as to how I came to this conclusion, in the season 7 premier, they use the unstable hyperdrive to drop the gate into and the gate still travelled some distance before the feild it was in destablized and the gate dropped out of FTL.
    'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

I think I also remember seeing a fleet of Goa'uld ships travelling together in hyperspace.

One of the reasons I ask is because it would give a good reason why the Ancients didn't simply fly Atlantis back. The hyperspace window they'd have to generate for a city that size would likely be huge. Big enough for the Wraith to just follow them in.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Wandering Tamer
        I don't know if that's ever been addressed. In the case of Stargate, I think so, you just wouldn't be able to control where and when you came out. If anyone is curious as to how I came to this conclusion, in the season 7 premier, they use the unstable hyperdrive to drop the gate into and the gate still travelled some distance before the feild it was in destablized and the gate dropped out of FTL.
        no the ship went with it they didnt drop it into the hyperspace cause jack ejected remember and i think its called redemtion as far as the fleet of ships i think they all just set a cors to the designation

Comment

A ship might be able to use the same window, in fact, multiple ships travelling together seem to do this all of the time. I think the thing is that you have to be able to sustain Hyperspace yourself. Most likely, if your ship is outrun or outdistanced by the other ship, you may drop out of Hyperspace or even remain in hypserpace with no course to follow. It's not like a Stargate that sends you to a spacific location: You can change course or drop out early as much as you want if you have enough power.

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
            Can someone clear this up for me.

When a ship generates a hyperspace window, can another ship, without generating one of their own, follow that ship in?
            No. The window is generated directly in advance of the vessel generating it, and seals immediately after it enters. Not only does a window have to be generated, a vessel needs constant energy to remain in hyperspace.

If for whatever reason a larger vessel generated a window but did not enter, theoretically a smaller vessel could enter first, but if they did not have the capacity to maintain their position, they would be ejected from hyperspace immediately.

Stargate hyperspace is very different from Babylon 5 hyperspace in this respect.
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
              No. The window is generated directly in advance of the vessel generating it, and seals immediately after it enters. Not only does a window have to be generated, a vessel needs constant energy to remain in hyperspace.

If for whatever reason a larger vessel generated a window but did not enter, theoretically a smaller vessel could enter first, but if they did not have the capacity to maintain their position, they would be ejected from hyperspace immediately.

Stargate hyperspace is very different from Babylon 5 hyperspace in this respect.
              i agree that is very incietfull

Comment

This depends on the definition of hyperspace...

however, i'd guess that it's possible, aslong as your extra ship is either within the confines of the original ships hyperspace window. For instance, death gliders cannot exit the hat'ak when it in hyperspace.

My 'educated' guess is that the hyperspace window generator generates more of a hyperspace bubble, which is formed around the ship causing it to exist in hyperspace, and then the ship goes at a particular speed. If you launch a glider from a hat'ak in hyperspace, if the glider could go at the speed of the hat'ak, and stayed within the bubble, then it would be ok. the second it leaves the bubble, either by traveling out in a direction perpendicular to the direction of motion of the hat'ak, or cant keep up with the Hat'ak an drops out of the end, then it would drop back to normal speed.

this is based on the assumption that hyper space is essentially a higher level of space which is smaller than normal space, but is stretched over it. It's a similar effect to frame dragging, but it is different.

What makes it dangerous to be contained in someone elses bubble is that if you find they accelerate and you cant keep up, you get shunted to the back of the bubble until the back oy your ship sticks out. At that time the back returns to normal speed while your front is still in hyperspace moving very quickly, but slipping out all the time. Basically, you can forsee your ship returning to normal space as a stretched out mess of debris as half went at one speed and the otherhalf another.

However, it probable is possible. this i base on the episode where Carter helps the asgard defeat the replicators (the one with the o'Neill). The ships go into hyperspace and tail the o'neill. They are so close that their bubbles could have merged. Even not, when the o'neill explodes, the bubble doesn't collapse instantly, the residual bubble and the first tailling ship's bubble merge, and the debris stays in hyperspace, where it collides with the tailling ships and destroys them.

How's that for a theory? Any questions. Any thing you would like clearing up - please just ask.

So, in answer to the original q, yes, you could follow them in, but you would need to be quick about it, you would need to be in the bubble they make and you would need to maintain the same speed as the window/bubble generating ship.

Also, if you are wondering as to why i have used the idea of a bubble, it is because 1) there are lots of misnomers on SG, why not this, 2) Carter generates a hyperspace bubble around the promethius in Grace, and 3) you can have a bubble and a window iy you really want - you just need to use the bubble to put you in to hyperspace, maintain the bubble, and then create a hyperspace window, or, more accurately, a hyperspcae tunnel infront of you where the hyperspace has been stretched out for you.

hope this helps.
                "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Originally posted by captain keys
                  no the ship went with it they didnt drop it into the hyperspace cause jack ejected remember and i think its called redemtion as far as the fleet of ships i think they all just set a cors to the designation
                  You're right. I'm sorry for the mix up. Anyway, like I said, there isn't anything definative. That and it could vary for each species that has developed the technology.
                  'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

i agree its possiable

Comment

Working...
                    X