This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didnt the ancients fly away?

When the wraith were sieging atlantis why didnt they just up and fly away instead of leaving by stargate.
    Sam: Looks like an untouched paradise
    Teal’c: Appearances may be deceiving
    Jack: One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor
    Daniel: A fool’s paradise is a wise man’s hell
    Jack: Never run with scissors?

Because the Ships would have been Destroyed. also i'm not so sure they had any left at Atlantis
    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
    sigpic

Comment

In the city I mean

Comment

OH ok in Season 1 "Before I Sleep" The Ancients say they left the City there so that if one day they wanted to return they could and the Team that went there from earth has fulfilled the idea
        Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gary83uk
          In the city I mean
          It would be difficult when you have hundreds of wraith ships surrounding the space around the planet. As soon as detected Atlantis is about to fly of the wraith would use all there force to stop it. Going through the gate was the safer option and also they left Atlantis in hop that one they could return.
          "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

The shields could withstand everything the wraith had thrown at them for years, I really dont forsee a problem in them flying away in it

Comment

But then they could follow them, making it pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
                It would be difficult when you have hundreds of wraith ships surrounding the space around the planet. As soon as detected Atlantis is about to fly of the wraith would use all there force to stop it. Going through the gate was the safer option and also they left Atlantis in hop that one they could return.
                JANIS: We are about to evacuate this city in the hope that it will lie safe for many years and then, one day, our kind will return. (He looks at Elizabeth.) And they have. It is because of my experiments that we now have the opportunity ...

It was a combo of both of those reasons

Originally posted by Daniel-Jackson
                But then they could follow them, making it pointless.
                The Wraith Hyper Drive is very week they would have goten away easily
                sigpic

Comment

My science might be iffy... but my theory is that they may have calculated that they didn't have enough power to maintain shields under bombardment, get the ship out of the atmosphere, and generate a city-sized hyperspace window at the same time.
                  Even the largest ships we've come across aren't as big as Atlantis. Generating and maintaining a large enough hyperspace window might take a lot of power.

I don't know if a ship can follow another one into hyperspace without generating a window of their own but it's a possibility we can consider. If that's the case, a lot of ships may have been able to follow Atlantis into a window of the size they'd have to generate.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

There's a couple of options I see

-It only had enough fuel/power to make one intergalactic trip

-It's engines were irrepairably damaged by the Wraith at some point either directly with ships or via sabotage. Maybe the planet it's on now wasn't even the one it started on. Maybe it was shot down.

-They can't run their sheilds and their engines at the same time. Turn off the shield and they all die a few moments later.

-The whole thing was really just a standoff with the Wraith trying to wait out the Ancients until they surrendered/starved to death because they wanted the city intact back then just like they do now. If the Ancients had actually tried to run though the Wraith would have attempted to destroy them rather than let them escape. The Ancients understood this so didn't provoke that outcome.

-Wraith ships have improved in the last 10,000 years and the original ones really couldn't hurt the city at all, as opposed to the current ones that can bleed out an entire zpm in a few days of bombardment. Since the Ancients were invincinble they just left the city there because they figured they'd come back to get it one day and they like leaving powerful technology laying around for potentially murderous species to find and use. (we all know that's true) The thought that the Wraith might break into it while no one was there watching/guarding it and hijack it to do god knows what to the known universe was evidently something they didn't really care about.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary83uk
                      The shields could withstand everything the wraith had thrown at them for years, I really dont forsee a problem in them flying away in it

Maybe they feared that the Wraith might be able to follow there path to another galaxy and they did'nt want to risk it by another galaxy being overrun by the Wraith.

Or maybe they simply had perfected ascention and they could care less about flying away?.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I think that they left the city because they planned to return one day and I would think it would take along time to travel between galaxies in something the size of atlantis. So it made more sense to leave the city in pegasus and return via the stargate. They probably calculated that in would take thousands of years for the cities shield to fail

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                          I don't know if a ship can follow another one into hyperspace without generating a window of their own but it's a possibility we can consider. If that's the case, a lot of ships may have been able to follow Atlantis into a window of the size they'd have to generate.
                          they can go through the same window, the wraith ships did in letters from pegasus/siege or something. But i think it is a bit harder then just steering the ship into it.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                            they can go through the same window, the wraith ships did in letters from pegasus/siege or something. But i think it is a bit harder then just steering the ship into it.
                            If that is possible, I remember each ship had it's own hyperdrive window, the wraith ships would have been destroyed while travelling as they are not designed to travel so fast, like with what happened to the cargo ship Jack modified. The ancients could have cloaked Atlantis when flying it out but that would have been really risky as it would have replaced the shield, but then the ancients could have done what McKay worked out in the seige part 3 and cloaked the city but I think by then ancients were really desperate and just had enough and wanted to leave. I think they just give up after 100 yrs of fighting the wraith non stop.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think the sea also gave them some protection, which is why the sheild wasn't under constant stress. With that, they knew the city could survive and that the Wraith couldn't touch it. And at that point, the Wraith didn't know about earth
                              'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Working...
                              X