This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaffa Nation-building Boring?

Have the recent eps about the politics of the Jaffa nation been lackluster?
    I just don't see Teal'c as a Prime Minister or Prez. I know he is not but he intended to be before LGJr stepped in. By the way, I like LGJr.
    I see Teal'c more in the role of Master.

Yes, i find them pretty damn boring myself.
    But...
    The jaffa nation is a crucial part of the gate saga, heck its the only reason Teal'C joined O'Neill in the first place. To free his people.
    I think the problem is not the jaffa nation itself, its the plots chosen to present that aspect of the saga which makes them boring.

Comment

To me all the Jaffa stuff is boring because of the way the story is told. People stand around and talk about it. Boring. The best Jaffa stuff happened in Beachhead when Gerak showed up in his ship. Lots of action and conflict there. I also liked the Jaffa in EDM where Gerak was torturing and killing people because it was action and conflict.

So many times, the Jaffa stand face to face, very stiffly, and talk about what's going on, as if they're really stiff and boring gossips. And their overly formalized way of speaking makes them hard to understand and very inaccessible. It's a case of telling and not showing. Whenever we get to see a scene showing something with the Jaffa, like Mitchell being trained, versus two Jaffa talking about something exciting happening elsewhere, it's much better.

Comment

The Jaffa are generally rather dull as most things involving politics usually are. The way the story is handled, they tend to talk politics rather than let us see the effects on the population. We never run into a crazed Jaffa terrorist who tries to assinate one of candidates. We'd just hear about it.

In most other societies we come across we deal with the people and the effects their laws have had on them but we rarely ever see Jaffa women, children, or deal with some of the more practical effects of politicking.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I agree that the whole Jaffa nation thing is a bit boring with not much happeneing but perhaps they will develop in future episodes but then politics has always been boring theyre usually sitting around ina room just talking.

Comment

I think there is the potential for it to be good but so far i agree the stories so far involving jaffa nation have been under par.
            Sam: Looks like an untouched paradise
            Teal’c: Appearances may be deceiving
            Jack: One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor
            Daniel: A fool’s paradise is a wise man’s hell
            Jack: Never run with scissors?

Comment

I've been waiting since Season 8 for the Jaffa to become a nation. And I'm pleased to see the writers went that direction. I LOVE the Jaffa storyline..I find their new society facinating.
              I don't get how anyone could not find it interesting...

Here we have a oppressed people who are finally free after so long...and now they have to adapt from being simple warriors to running a nation..in the meantime we have Jaffa he prefer the old ways and Jaffa who just want power fighting within the Jaffa themselves.

We see some of the Jaffa acting like their old oppressors...it's probably one of the deeper storylines in SG-1 history.
              It feels good to be alive.
              Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

have you ever watched the channel where they broadcast the Congress. It's as boring as the Jaffa nation is, more so actually. That's politics. So, I agree it's boring but I wouldn't say it's unrealistic. Besides, they have to show us the Jaffa because that's what Teal'c is all about.
                'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

I'll have to agree that I'm finding it all very boring and anticipated that I would from the pre-season spoilers, where it seemed every episode was about the Jaffa. So much so, I dubbed it The Jaffa: The Early Years, rather than Stargate.

But I'll admit to being prejudiced. Barring a few exceptions - The Warrior, Allegience, possibly a couple of others I can't now recall - I've found Jaffa episodes boring in every season. They just don't interest me and I don't much care. (Which isn't Stargate's fault. I found Klingon or Vulcan episodes in Star Trek left me cold too)

So there's not much that's new about my reaction to these episodes, I'm afraid.

All the same, I think they could spark them up a bit as they are exceptionally boring, even more so than any previous Jaffa episode before them, imo.

Albion
                  Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

heh I loved the klingon and vulcan eps!
                    Sam: Looks like an untouched paradise
                    Teal’c: Appearances may be deceiving
                    Jack: One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor
                    Daniel: A fool’s paradise is a wise man’s hell
                    Jack: Never run with scissors?

Comment

hah. As long as they don't do overkill. Which seems to be the direction they are headed.
                      'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Gotta say that the jaffa nation scenes are the ones i'm most likely to fast forward through which is sort of a shame because i really like Louis Gosset Jr. Great string of movies in the 80's.

Comment

I tend to find all politically based episodes boring, Jaffa or human. Even episodes with more action, like ones about the NID/Trust are still a yawn. (The only exception to my anti-politics sentiment is Hayes episodes, because he's just a cool guy.)
                          SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

Originally posted by cafine_us
                            I tend to find all politically based episodes boring, Jaffa or human. Even episodes with more action, like ones about the NID/Trust are still a yawn. (The only exception to my anti-politics sentiment is Hayes episodes, because he's just a cool guy.)
                            Strange, I kinda like those episodes personally. Yeah, too much is boring. But I like most of what I've seen over the years.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                            X