This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTL Drive??

In conversion, i noticed col caldwell mentioned his "FTL drive". has the hyper drive been refered to as a FTL drive before? or has Mitch been watching too much BSG?
    Get YOUR P90 Here!
    Am i alone in hoping that the Seaquest seasons with the DeLuise brothers are finally released on dvd??

Nice hair!!

Originally posted by whatswiththehairtealc
    In conversion, i noticed col caldwell mentioned his "FTL drive". has the hyper drive been refered to as a FTL drive before? or has Mitch been watching too much BSG?
    Col. Cadwell is just trying to make a seen for himself....
    Anyway i think the hyperdrive was called FTL before
    The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

its also called that in Star Trek
      Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
      sigpic

Comment

No its not. It's called warp in Star Trek. It's called an FTL drive in any sci-fi show with a brain behind it.

Comment

What does the acronym FTL mean?
          sigpic

Comment

faster than light.

and no, star trek has a brain behind it. Warp was a way around Einstein’s theory, with a reason behind it. But this is neither to place nor the time for arguing others believes. as i said, it stands for Faster Than Light
            'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
              What does the acronym FTL mean?
              faster than light?

Comment

Thanks, I needed some confirmation on that.
                sigpic

Comment

technically FTL is impossible according to einstien's theories. Warp is only a way sci-fi shows get around that fact. The brief summary of that theory, all enrgy exerted as speed becomes less and less powerful as an object nears the speed of light.

Comment

Originally posted by Ponchoandy
                    No its not. It's called warp in Star Trek. It's called an FTL drive in any sci-fi show with a brain behind it.
                    Funny because the concept of Faster Than Light travel is impossible.

Each SciFi has there own approach to side-stepping the rule, Hyperspace (or subspace in Trek) is another dimension where points in space exist closer together than in the physical universe. Galactica doesn't have an explanation for its FTL capabilities but thats OK for the show because it isn't about the Science its about the war between the Cylons and the Humans
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
                      Funny because the concept of Faster Than Light travel is impossible.
                      but not going somewhere faster than what the speed of light can go.

Comment

Actually, that it is impossible to travel faster then light still has to be proofen.
                        there are theories around how to move FTL, granted they requiere some pretty exotic stuff to be workable.
                        But so far they say it could be done, also that we are definetly not advanged enough to do it.
                        Alcubierre warp drive theorie for example.

Comment

physics says the some particles do move faster then light, for some periods of time. <we're talking about millionths of a nano second or something like that>. If I remember the idea correctly, it has something to do with particles through a magnetic feild. Oh, nevermind, I can't remember with any accuracy. Does anyone else?
                          'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ponchoandy
                            Acually i have heard it called that in Trek

The speed of light, also referred to as light-speed, or the warp threshold, is the velocity that photons travel in a vacuum. This constant, usually denoted c, is exactly 299,792,458 meters/second, and is equivalent to the speed of Warp 1.

The Phoenix, piloted by Zefram Cochrane, was Earth's first ship to achieve "Faster Than Light" travel, also referred to as FTL or Warp (Star Trek: First Contact)

heres the Link http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/FTL
                            Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                            sigpic

Comment

The best sci-fi shows don't mention the speed of light, and don't even address the issue of FTL at all. Lexx, for example.

Comment

Working...
                              X