'Stargate' breaks the movie-to-TV mold

From the StarNewsOnline (WilmingtonStar):

‘Stargate' breaks the movie-to-TV mold

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/p.../NEWS/40630010

By Jeff Hidek
    Staff Writer
    [email protected]

TV shows based on movies almost never work. Remember the small-screen versions of Working Girl or Ferris Bueller? Me neither. Only three shows I can think of have found more popularity on the small screen than the silver screen: M*A*S*H, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Stargate SG-1.

Stargate the movie found mediocre success on the big screen in 1994, but Stargate the TV series has attracted legions of die-hard fans since its premiere in 1997. Now, the show about a secret team of military officers who explore the galaxy from Earth through a wormhole-producing Stargate, is about to follow in the footsteps of M*A*S*H and Buffy: It's launching a spin-off.

Stargate SG-1 began its life on Showtime, and fans followed the series after it left the pay network for syndication and eventually landed on Sci Fi Channel, where it has set ratings records for the network. The launch of Stargate Atlantis a week after SG-1's eighth season premiere this Friday is validation for this series, which spent so many seasons being shuffled around the TV landscape and existing mostly off the mainstream radar.
    I've never been a huge SG-1 fan. At times, I've even been bitter that this enjoyable but predictable action yarn has overshadowed more inventive fare, like Sci Fi Channel's now-canceled Farscape series. But the show's appeal cannot be ignored.

Much of that appeal rests with star Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver). Mr. Anderson plays commanding officer Jack O'Neill as a dedicated and loyal soldier who's affable, able and just a little bit doofy. O'Neill lets his teammates, especially the brainy Daniel Jackson (Michael Shanks) figure out the hows and whys of Stargate travel. He just makes sure they all get out alive when they run into trouble on an alien world, which, of course, happens at least once an episode.

In the new season premiere, which airs at 9 p.m. Friday on Sci Fi, O'Neill is promoted to brigadier general and put in charge of the Stargate program. Unfortunately, that means he'll be going out on fewer missions. The show drags when Mr. Anderson is off camera (he spends much of the two-hour pilot in an alien-induced coma).

If you've never seen Stargate, starting in the eighth season could leave you a bit confused, even with the mostly self-contained storylines. You might want to start your journey with From Stargate to Atlantis, a one-hour special airing at 10 p.m. Monday that will give you a brief history of the series and introduce the new spin-off, launching July 16.

Stargate Atlantis steals its formula (and some supporting characters) directly from SG-1.
    Dr. Elizabeth Weir (Torri Higginson), a civilian who was put in charge of the Stargate project in SG-1's seventh season, has been researching a lost city believed to be the home of the Ancients, the race of beings who created the Stargates. When Daniel Jackson (who, along with O'Neill, briefly appears in the Atlantis premiere) finds a Stargate address that suggests the city was moved to a far away galaxy, Dr. Weir leads a new team of explorers, scientists and soldiers to investigate.

The trip is so far, however, that team only has enough power for a one-way trip. With the new team stranded, able only to explore worlds in a galaxy separate from one the SG-1 team handles, Atlantis is a sequel that can steal and reuse all the best of parts of its original but still stand on its own two feet. And if you don't get too concerned with the jargon in the early scenes, you won't really need to know anything about Stargate history to enjoy Atlantis.

The new series certainly has its charms. Adding military support to Weir's mission is Major John Sheppard, played as a young Han Solo by Joe Flannigan (Sisters). He's roguish and witty, even though his character - an upstart soldier who likes breaking the rules - isn't really anything new. Atlantis seems to find more time for humor than its predecessor, too. Paul McGillion as Dr. Beckett and David Hewlett reprising his role as Dr. McKay offer great comic relief in the pilot.

Die-hard Stargate fans should like Atlantis, too. There's a whole new galaxy of friends - the team meets a small colony of friendly (for now) natives - and enemies - beings known as Wraith are this show's ultimate evil.

In a time when science fiction and fantasy shows are disappearing from TV (Angel's gone; Enterprise and Smallville are declining), you have to hand it to Stargate for its perseverance. And if the repeats on Sci Fi continue to approach Law & Order-like proliferation, and if Atlantis lives up to its potential, the universe of Stargate still has many years worth of exploration ahead.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Originally posted by morjana
    From the StarNewsOnline (WilmingtonStar):

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/p.../NEWS/40630010

By Jeff Hidek
    Staff Writer
    [email protected]

<snippage>
    I've never been a huge SG-1 fan. At times, I've even been bitter that this enjoyable but predictable action yarn has overshadowed more inventive fare, like Sci Fi Channel's now-canceled Farscape series. But the show's appeal cannot be ignored.

<more snippage>
    Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/
    Why can't these critics get past Farscape being cancelled? Seriously, that makes no sense. Cancellation of Farscape, while regretable, shouldn't mean continuing bitterness against SG-1 and it's ratings success. At least this guy is honest in his review.
    Slainte
    "There are many forms of power, my dear. Some more subtle than others." Linea to Captain Carter, Prisoners, S2.

Comment

Why do they compare it to Farscape? I mean they are two totally different shows.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

A good read, except for the obligatory (well, it seems to be getting obligatory anyway) Farscape griping. But at least this critic had the decency the admit to his own bitterness.
        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Because, not one year after SciFi acquired SG1 from Showtime, they cancelled Farscape for "being too expensive" and "not having enough viewers". Farscape was also the show to really bring more viewers to SciFi because of how original it was. To Farscape fans who don't like SG1, it's someone to blame.

I think I'll blame Tremors: the Series, though, because it's the show they brought in *after* Farscape... and failed. *snicker*

Comment

Originally posted by Brianamarie
            Because, not one year after SciFi acquired SG1 from Showtime, they cancelled Farscape for "being too expensive" and "not having enough viewers". Farscape was also the show to really bring more viewers to SciFi because of how original it was. To Farscape fans who don't like SG1, it's someone to blame.
            I understand that. But just what exactly did Stargate do wrong? Was it supposed to intentionally suck to make Farscape look good??
            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Tremors, and CODE NAME: ETERNITY, not to mention Black Scorpion, can all burn. I loved Farscape. But I converted to be an SG-Follower. I still think that they can both exsist at the same time. Showing Farscpae re-runs on SG-Friday won't bother me. Leading up to Peace Keeper War would be even bettter. People are stupid.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I like both Farscape *and* SG-1, I was very upset when Farscape was cancelled. Heck I was probably more into Farscape at that point than I was Stargate. But I certainly never blamed Stargate for Farscape's problems and I'm not sure why some Farscape fans still hold a bit of a grudge. Especially now that the miniseries will be airing on Scifi this fall. I'm very excited about that.

I think some Farscape fans just have a hard time understanding that the show they consider to be far superior got cancelled while an "earnest, plodding" show (to quote Matt Roush) like Stargate is starting it's eighth season. Still it's just a matter of taste. They are very different shows and I like them for different reasons. It's like comparing a comfy pair of bedroom slippers (Stargate) to a sexy pair of red stiletto pumps (Farscape).
                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I never got into farscape :\ Maybe I should d/l a few episodes.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                    I never got into farscape :\ Maybe I should d/l a few episodes.
                    I would recommend the early seasons (1&2). The "death of the week" in season three I think did cost them viewers. I know a lot of fellow scapers who stopped watching because they got sick of it.

Comment

LOL at Kes Never thought about them that way !

Comment

Everyone wants someone to blame for a loss. If you are fanatical enough (or I guess love something enough), that doesn't have to be a logical thing. It just has to be there. I really doubt that Stargate had anything to do with Farscape's cancelation, but that's not going to convince anyone who believes in their heart that they'd still have their series if this "stupid show in combat boots" (yes, I saw that description) was not around.

Comment

This is fantastic news, It makes me feel toasty inside to hear good things about Stargate SG:1 and Atlantis. And seriously this show has done so great because the show is great.

I actually just want to CRY right now. This is fantastic news!

GO STARGATE!

Comment

You know I think the Farscape fans are going to be more upset . . . seeing as we stole their stars as well as their ratings. I have never seen Farscape myself, but one of my friends is a big fan and she is not mad whatsoever . . . she and I actually enjoy watching new episodes together. I think at some point the fans are going to have to work through their pain and move on. I don't mean to sound insensitive - I myself am still crying over the end of Enterprise.

~Sarah
                            Call me Sarah . . .
                            • Anti-plaid (pro P.L.A.I.D. )
                            • Songwriter, screencapper, canon shipper, and fan of minor characters
                            • Trek forever!

Comment

startrekempress,

It's good that you have learned to experiment with the search feature; however, I'm sure not all here appreciate your "trip down memory lane" resurrecting all these old threads.

It's fine if you want to go back and read these old things but try not to reply. Many will open and read the thread not noticing it was originally posted by the ancients. The OP is probably dead or ascended by now...

Comment

Working...
                              X