Actors gone Virtual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actors gone Virtual?

This question could have already been answered somewhere on Gateworld, but since I'm too lazy to look everywhere to try and find an answer, I'm just going to ask. When I first read about Horizon, and saw all the actors for your virtual cast, a question immediately came to mind. I'll take Kiefer Sutherland for example, does he just wake up one day and find himself being cast in a weekly virtual show? Or did you call him up and tell him, "Your name is going to be used in a virtual cast, do you mind?" Or do actors get casted in internet spin-offs like this all the time, like it's no big deal? Would he care? I wonder. Does someone have an answer or wondered themselves about this also?
    Things I've learned about the Stargate Universe:
    1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.
    2. Don't shake hands with a Wraith.
    3. Whacko! are the Ori. It's their way or the hot way.

I have also wondered about this
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

I'm pretty sure that you would have to ask TPTB or someone like that if its a big project, otherwise you may get sued for copyright infringement.

sigpic
      Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
      Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Nope. Unfortunately I haven't actually spoken to any of these actors...yet. Perhaps one day, once I'm in the business, I'll get a chance. Of course in that case I'd mention at some point that there's this virtual series, for which I've cast them.

The truth is, you don't need to get permission for something like this. In fact, there are a lot of virtual series out there, who have "cast" actors for roles. As long as you're only using pictures which are available for everyone, there's no problem. What we could not be doing, however, is use clips from say 24 or any other show or movie that the actors have been on. That would most likely bring up copyright problems, since we'd be using another show or movie to advertise something else. We'd need to have the permission to do that. As long as it's just pictures and the imagination of the writers and readers, there's no problem there.
        Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Thanks
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure the actors if they stumbled on a virtual series with them as a portrayal of a character would get it. It's part of the fun of a virtual series - and one of the hardest parts actually.
            TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
              - and one of the hardest parts actually.
              How? What do you mean by that?
              Things I've learned about the Stargate Universe:
              1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.
              2. Don't shake hands with a Wraith.
              3. Whacko! are the Ori. It's their way or the hot way.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rubit
                ....The truth is, you don't need to get permission for something like this. In fact, there are a lot of virtual series out there, who have "cast" actors for roles. As long as you're only using pictures which are available for everyone, there's no problem. What we could not be doing, however, is use clips from say 24 or any other show or movie that the actors have been on. That would most likely bring up copyright problems, since we'd be using another show or movie to advertise something else. We'd need to have the permission to do that. As long as it's just pictures and the imagination of the writers and readers, there's no problem there.
                Hi Alex. I wanted to thank you for your answer regarding this question because I too was wondering if using an actor's pic and name was a bit dodgy. I was afraid that I would wake up when morning and read a post by you saying that the show had to be cancelled because Keifer Sutherland threatened you with a multi-million $ lawsuit! You know how some people love multi-million dollar lawsuits! This should be stickied IMO. Bye for now.
                Sheppard: ..."You guys do have names, right?"
                ..."Let me guess ... Steve?"
                <He was cool..for a Wraith!>

Comment

Originally posted by StevetheWraith!
                  Hi Alex. I wanted to thank you for your answer regarding this question because I too was wondering if using an actor's pic and name was a bit dodgy. I was afraid that I would wake up when morning and read a post by you saying that the show had to be cancelled because Keifer Sutherland threatened you with a multi-million $ lawsuit! You know how some people love multi-million dollar lawsuits!
                  Unfortunately I only know Kiefer from interviews and audio commentaries, but I don't think he'd do that because someone's using his pictures. He seems like a really nice guy.

This should be stickied IMO. Bye for now.
                  That's a good idea. I'll sticky it for now, because I imagine a lot of people have been wondering about this.
                  Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

I'd imagine that even if the others don't know, Ben Browder probably does.
                    The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by StevetheWraith!
                      Hi Alex. I wanted to thank you for your answer regarding this question because I too was wondering if using an actor's pic and name was a bit dodgy. I was afraid that I would wake up when morning and read a post by you saying that the show had to be cancelled because Keifer Sutherland threatened you with a multi-million $ lawsuit!
                      I agree with Alex on this one. The problem with your statement is that a lot of people have fansites on the Internet that focus on their favourite acting talent, and what you're saying just wouldn't happen. For example, let's just say for the moment that Kiefer Sutherland (or any of them for that matter) would make an injunction against Stargate: Horizon for use of their image. Any court could argue that the claim was invalid, since there a hundreds of sites that do the exact same thing every day, and to sue a single website would be an attack against everybody who collects imagery of the people they like on TV/movies...

In an ideal world, it might work if we were commercial, but if we were we would ask them about slanting them as the characters first. This is community project for the moment that is completely unpaid; we are doing it because we enjoy Stargate and we think they should be the prime candidates in the show. If this changes in the future so will the guidelines of selecting and getting permission from actors, but until that time, we are free to make such decisions from our rights as a non-commercial entity.
                      "No single army can conquer the galaxy, but faith alone can overturn the universe." -- Imperial Ecclesiarch Decias IX
                      ==============================================================
                      Tiletron/Hyncharas:= Simon Spencer | Portfolio Gallery:= http://tiletron.deviantart.com
                      Online:= Clan Draconus Lupus (8yr Veteran) | SG-VirtualSeries (Founder, Admin, PR Lead)

Comment

As long as you're only using pictures which are available for everyone, there's no problem. What we could not be doing, however, is use clips from say 24 or any other show or movie that the actors have been on. That would most likely bring up copyright problems, since we'd be using another show or movie to advertise something else.
                        Alex question about this part of your answer
                        If you were looking for pictures and you found them on google, may you manipulate the pictures? I mean you have a picture of Col. O'Neill and you want to put the head of Kiefer Sutherland on it. Can you do this?
                        We are facing our future together - Dr. Elizabeth Weir
                        Dr. Elisabeth Weir is a proud member of the GTA !
                        *~'.:GTA 199:.'~*

Stargate Omega: so much more than a website ! Join the place today.

Comment

Nope. Unfortunately I haven't actually spoken to any of these actors...yet. Perhaps one day, once I'm in the business, I'll get a chance. Of course in that case I'd mention at some point that there's this virtual series, for which I've cast them.

The truth is, you don't need to get permission for something like this. In fact, there are a lot of virtual series out there, who have "cast" actors for roles. As long as you're only using pictures which are available for everyone, there's no problem. What we could not be doing, however, is use clips from say 24 or any other show or movie that the actors have been on. That would most likely bring up copyright problems, since we'd be using another show or movie to advertise something else. We'd need to have the permission to do that. As long as it's just pictures and the imagination of the writers and readers, there's no problem there.
                          Actually, if you make any profit off using their images, you would need their permission. The photos of the actors are copyrighted studio and/or photographer shots. If they don't get their fair due for their work, they'd get testy (aka sue). As long as you keep fan fiction/sites low-key, don't profit, you normally don't have problems.

Comment

Well they aren't making any profit....
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                              As long as you keep fan fiction/sites low-key, don't profit, you normally don't have problems.
                              Forget low-key...were taking this thing all the way to Hollywood! Well Alex is anyways...your still planning a move ther right Alex?

Comment

Working...
                              X