This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invincibility Shield?

The shield that McKay used back in series 1 of Atlantis could have come in handy a lot of times, for instance getting the stem cells from the aeratis bug?? They could have just strolled in and taken some.

It seems to me they havent used this key piece of technology at all yet, seems a bit of a waste...

Anyone else agree with me?

Pete.

Originally posted by peter_j_w
    The shield that McKay used back in series 1 of Atlantis could have come in handy a lot of times, for instance getting the stem cells from the aeratis bug?? They could have just strolled in and taken some.

It seems to me they havent used this key piece of technology at all yet, seems a bit of a waste...

Pete.
    it would have been useful, but whatever powered it, it's energy was drained by that entity. It wasn't an invisibility shield it was a personal shield.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Comment

Pete.
      Forgot all about that, good point, could had been used perhaps to fight the wraith too. Can't remember how many were found, I think just the 1, but it should have been worn when getting samples from Steve and interrogatting Bob. Also in the seige part 1 Rodney could have worn it, allowing Peter to escape (god I miss him), but they probably didn't forsee that happening even through an extra spacesuit should have been taken as a precaution. I don't know what you mean by stem cells, to grow a part of the bug in order to learn about it? Would have been better to use the shield on location when studying the bug, so no part of it could would enter Atlantis. Unless you are referring to conversion which I haven't seen yet but every precaution should have been taken.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by csand36
        it would have been useful, but whatever powered it, it's energy was drained by that entity. It wasn't an invisibility shield it was a personal shield.
        It did only work for 1 person but it made that person invincible.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
          Forgot all about that, good point, could had been used perhaps to fight the wraith too. Can't remember how many were found, I think just the 1,
          if you are researching something you usually build several of the same prototype in order to be able to do several tests and to test for consistent results

Comment

Not invincible, just the amount of force that was directed at the shield was not enough to over come it.
            And since except from the energy draining entity the shield was not put under much strain at all, saying it makes the wearer invincible is rather very far fetched.
            After all the entity drained the shield device quiet nicely.

Comment

you don't know where it has it's power supply. Maybe it comes from the wearers energy outputs, or possibly it absorbs energy that hits it, in which case the entity would have recharged it.

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
                Not invincible, just the amount of force that was directed at the shield was not enough to over come it.
                And since except from the energy draining entity the shield was not put under much strain at all, saying it makes the wearer invincible is rather very far fetched.
                After all the entity drained the shield device quiet nicely.
                But the wearer was invincible, otherwise what was the point of it?
                sigpic

Comment

From Hide and Seek
                  Mckay: I'm fine
                  Look Beckett's gene therapy worked, this is a protective shield, like a thick skin.

it kinda proves Dr Weir's point.
                  The only way the user could die is from lack of food or water (in which case the shield turns off once the user faints) or from (i guess) no atmosphere, where you would spend you life wandering aimlessly in spaace anyway.

So technically the shield doesn't render the wearer invincible, but very close

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                    From Hide and Seek
                    Mckay: I'm fine
                    Look Beckett's gene therapy worked, this is a protective shield, like a thick skin.

it kinda proves Dr Weir's point.
                    The only way the user could die is from lack of food or water (in which case the shield turns off once the user faints) or from (i guess) no atmosphere, where you would spend you life wandering aimlessly in spaace anyway.

So technically the shield doesn't render the wearer invincible, but very close
                    It reader the user invincible from the effects of its surroundings.
                    sigpic

Comment

would there be any atmosphere in the entity

Comment

Invincible is the ultimate wrong word.
                        Its a personal shield, it neither gives you super powers or protects you from large weapons. All we know is that it protected McKey from small arms weapon fire, a fall of a few meters and his food.

If it would have made mcKey invincible the entiy would not have been able to drain the power of the device. and i highly doubt that if the would have been hit by say a mark 9 nuke anything but atoms would be left.
                        Invincible means he can't be touched, harmed, overcome etc at all, which is not the case. Nothing in the Stargate universe is invincible.

Comment

Well the Orei shield was invincible so there! watever they pummeled at it it just got stonger.

But there must have been more thna one of these things, swear they wud come in handy.

Comment

But there must have been more thna one of these things,
                            It was a prototype
                            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                            love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
                              Invincible is the ultimate wrong word.
                              Its a personal shield, it neither gives you super powers or protects you from large weapons. All we know is that it protected McKey from small arms weapon fire, a fall of a few meters and his food.

If it would have made mcKey invincible the entiy would not have been able to drain the power of the device. and i highly doubt that if the would have been hit by say a mark 9 nuke anything but atoms would be left.
                              Invincible means he can't be touched, harmed, overcome etc at all, which is not the case. Nothing in the Stargate universe is invincible.
                              The entity wasn't draining power from the device and it made Mckay invincible to it. Whether or not it made him invincible to other really harmful stuff is speculation, but I think if he was invincible to that, then also to alot of other powerful stuff as well.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X