X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War of the Worlds- Old vs New movie

Which one do you think is better?

I prefered the old one, it made a lot more sense (apart from the fact that the aliens seemed to attack for no reason ).
    The new one was just pure pathetic! What's with the flying clothes? A laser would disintegrate everything it touches! And I'm pretty sure somebody would notice if there was a large metal robot hidden underground

sigpic
    Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
    Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Aliens coming from space attacking earth makes much more sense then aliens burying their tanks on earth for a million years and no one noticing. Plus if they were going to go to that trouble maybe they should have buried a science station to monitor the planets atmosphere for potential deadly pathogens. The special effects were definitely better in the new one but other then that there was nothing special about it.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

well i liked the new movie but the original flick was a classic, the attack for no apparent reason aside the idea of alien attacks an abduction was all the rage in the 50s so it took off enough to go down as a monster science fiction movie for its time but i sensed the only reason SS remade the film was he thought he could do better and cash in on it, sadly though the sci fi alien abduction an post world war alien fear has mostly vanished into the dark in light of more realistic terrors such as terrosism and chemical warfare that is deadly realistic becuae it happens and could happen again at any time which creates he fear in much the same way aliens invading earth did back in the 50s (for what reason it did is beyond me) but the remake aside from its speical effects was a rather poor outing than i would have liked, focused around 3 people we are supposed to develop a feeling for after we have a breif insigt into their less than perfect lives.
      the idea of aliens burring their tripod tanks under the earth was supprising for me as i was not aware of the that fact before i saw it which has a nice twist to it but does develop alot plotholes as to why no human ever saw or detected these huge metalic tanks in their i assume thousands all around the earth, as for the alien weapons that vaprises humans and leaves their clothing is in my mind a weapon that is supposed to in way boil the human body internally and attack only the human cells in an instant their entire boddy dries up and the sudden release of energy causes the bodies to explode into dust i assume.
      it was mildy scary to have alien tanks roam the streets of cities and indescriminatley vaporise people for the purpose of taking the planet when later in the film they take people and use their blood to fertilise their alien fungus/weeds.
      all in all it probably was not the big monster movie that the 50s flick was and the idea to set it in the present is for me a wrong thing to have done, perhaps they should have set it in the 50s or the 1880s when the original book was set to make it more exciting and menacing.
      anyway i will end this on the note that i am supprised that anytime in the film not a single neuclear weapon was used on screen unlike the original but i think the new version is in some way supposed to tap into our contempary fear of terrorists and their decisive attack much in the same way the 50s WOTW did with aliens post war era.
      for me the film was a good attempt but not as grand as the original even if it seems tacky and old.
      For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
        As for the alien weapons that vaprises humans and leaves their clothing is in my mind a weapon that is supposed to in way boil the human body internally and attack only the human cells in an instant their entire boddy dries up and the sudden release of energy causes the bodies to explode into dust i assume.
        If only the humans got vaporised how come there weren't any flying shoes?

Originally posted by Darkstar
        it was mildy scary to have alien tanks roam the streets of cities and indescriminatley vaporise people for the purpose of taking the planet when later in the film they take people and use their blood to fertilise their alien fungus/weeds.
        That part was annoying, I dont see why they didn't start sucking human blood right from the start, or just continue vaporising from start till end

sigpic
        Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
        Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
          If only the humans got vaporised how come there weren't any flying shoes?
          um there were shoes but because the body explodes the shoes that as you well know fit tightly onto a person would in such a case as a human exploding be ripped apart and strewn across the street with the clothing the fact it wasent as apparent is that they would not be recognisable as a complete shoes just bits here and there.

is that not a resonably good explenation???
          For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

in fact i have unfortunately a while ago seens images of animals that sick and extreemly disturbed people put into microwave ovens such as pets like cats but mainly small hamsters and guinea pigs the result was very disturbing but the body boils and swells up, now a sudden release of energy that was capable of doing the same in a matter of a second would make the body explode and if it were possible to vaporise the entire body it would become ash and dust.

Comment

The old movie is classic of course but is dated while the new movie is up to code.

The acting in the new movie was IMO good and the story of the people involved was ok even though the larger picture didn´t make a lick of sense but then neither did the original. In both movies you´d think that the aliens would have made sure that there weren´t any bio hazards that they needed to guard against. I´m pretty sure that any human expedition to an alien world would maintain a strickt exposure safe guards expressly to prevent contamination.

In the first movie weren´t the aliens from Mars like in the book? If so then I´d wonder what they wanted with Earth cause if I´m remembering my facts straight then Mars´s gravity is only a third of what Earths is. The equivelent for would be to go to a planet with 3x Earths gravity, that means if you weigh 70kg here you´d weigh 210kg on the other world. I don´t know about you but I´m pretty sure that I couldn´t handle that can´t of weight for long.

So plotholes are common on both movies but I´m inclined to forgive the older one more as standards back then aren´t near those of todays.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd
                The old movie is classic of course but is dated while the new movie is up to code.

The acting in the new movie was IMO good and the story of the people involved was ok even though the larger picture didn´t make a lick of sense but then neither did the original. In both movies you´d think that the aliens would have made sure that there weren´t any bio hazards that they needed to guard against. I´m pretty sure that any human expedition to an alien world would maintain a strickt exposure safe guards expressly to prevent contamination.

In the first movie weren´t the aliens from Mars like in the book? If so then I´d wonder what they wanted with Earth cause if I´m remembering my facts straight then Mars´s gravity is only a third of what Earths is. The equivelent for would be to go to a planet with 3x Earths gravity, that means if you weigh 70kg here you´d weigh 210kg on the other world. I don´t know about you but I´m pretty sure that I couldn´t handle that can´t of weight for long.

So plotholes are common on both movies but I´m inclined to forgive the older one more as standards back then aren´t near those of todays.

well it doesnt say in the new movie but the aliens in the film had been to earth to bury their tanks and so on so it could be they came from earth and moved off into the galaxy then things turned t*ts up and they came back to take the planet back after being gone for so long humans became the equivilant dominant species.
                as for them being from mars its not beyond the realm of possibility but unlikely since the aliens most likely, however if it had some back story such as they came from mars or earth millions of years ago populated earth with their ships and tanks then left after mars became uninhabitable and turned to dust and that lifeforms on earth could not support them enough so they moved on then came back, a really good twist to what i have just theorised would be that they were resposible for the end of the dinosuars so they moved on after most life was depleted but since mamals and a huge veriety of animals evolved and so the aliens seized the opportunity by reclaiming their tanks and systematicly exterminating pockets of humans to keep the numbers managable then took prisoners to bleed them and terroform the planet with a steady breathable atmosphere.

that would have cool to hear a little backstory to them and fits in with the evolution of this planet.

Comment

Working...
                X