PDA

View Full Version : Is there really another Stargate movie?

Animalian
July 4th, 2004, 05:41 PM
I'm listening to the Audio Commentaries from Season 6. In the episode "Full Circle" they keep saying something about using this episode, which at the time was gonna be the last episode of the series, for the movie they were making.

I looked on IMDB.com and they only show results of anything that has to go with Stargate as the show itself, the movie in '94, Atlantis, and the cartoon series that played for one season.

Can anyone help?

ShadowMaat
July 4th, 2004, 05:48 PM
They had plans for an SG-1 movie, but with the advent of S7 that died. The s7 finale, Lost City, is the gist of what the movie would have been.

That's my understanding, anyway. ;)

DownFallAngel
July 4th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Yea the Lost City episodes is like 9/10 of what the movie was supposed to be about.

DAL SHAKKA MEL
July 4th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Well we could always hope they make one! :D

Erik Pasternak
July 4th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Well we could always hope they make one! :DThey probably will, just not until SG-1 is over. I think it was always the plan to have a movie (or a series of movies) after the series was over. Plus, in an interview someone said that the movie had just been "pushed back," not cancelled.

DownFallAngel
July 4th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Like what they did with the original Star Trek? Finish the show and make like 7 movies some 10 year later?

JakeDeuxPointZero
July 4th, 2004, 07:09 PM
I hope they make that many movies! Chances are there will only be 2 or 3, tops, though... I mean, sure Stargate is huge, but still, it's not quite Trek, following-wise.

Erik Pasternak
July 4th, 2004, 10:56 PM
I hope they make that many movies! Chances are there will only be 2 or 3, tops, though... I mean, sure Stargate is huge, but still, it's not quite Trek, following-wise.Don't forget, the original Star Trek was cancelled after only three seasons, and SG-1 is still going strong after seven, so maybe, there's hope for Stargate becoming the next Trek.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I like Star Trek A LOT, but I like Stargate too.

JDakkon
July 4th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Don't forget, the original Star Trek was cancelled after only three seasons, and SG-1 is still going strong after seven, so maybe, there's hope for Stargate becoming the next Trek.

In my opinion, Stargate SG-1 is already the next Star Trek. I know a bold statement, but it has already beaten all of the Star Trek original series and the spin-offs as far as seasons are concerned (No Trek series has ever gone beyond season 7). Plus the fan base for Stargate is growing. I personally think that SG-1 will probally go thru another 3 or 4 more seasons then it will end and have a movie or two. If anything, I think Atlantis is going to be the next Star Trek: DS9, which in retrospect was a great Trek spin-off. I could be dead wrong, but it seems that Stargate is following a similar path like Star Trek and it would be very nice to see SG-1 stay on for awhile, but only time will tell, but it looks like Sci-fi is not letting that series go for at least a seaon or 2.

JakeDeuxPointZero
July 5th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Hmm... well thing about Trek is, they, for some reason, decided that seven seasons would be the standard for a Trek series, so that's the way it works, now, unless a series gets cancelled, like TOS.

DownFallAngel
July 5th, 2004, 12:50 PM
I agree with JDakkon, that Stargate is already the next Star Trek. If it were up to me, my statement on it would be Stargate far surpasses Star Trek. I also agree with his/her statement of the DS9/Atlantis, in that both are/were awesome.

Animalian
July 6th, 2004, 06:31 PM
You guys are making a lot of sense now that I think about it. Especially that Stargate ifans are still growing, I for one just became a recent fan from seeing one of the Stargate Mondays late last May. Now I can't stop watching it and I'm hunting for the DVDs. lol, but IMO it looks like it's gonna be going on for another couple seasons and then some.

(Sorry if this is posted more than once...my comp is going bonkers)

deadmetalbr
December 13th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Stargate has the advantage of being much more accessible to the mainstream than Trek ever has. Since I started watching SG-1 I've found Trek to be far too preachy, espescially TNG. It's gotten to the point where I'd gladly take a naquadria enema rather than listen to another concocted spiel about the bloody prime directive.

At least Stargate has characters and situations that the viewer can partially relate to, where Trek is a bunch of pansies on a love-boat of universal pacifism. It might have been okay in the 60's, but today, nobody likes hippies.

Don't get me wrong, without Trek, the'd be no Stargate, no Star Wars, and while I'm at it, no Star Search or tasty Little Debbie Star Crunch snack cakes.

cobraR478
December 13th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Stargate has been on Scifi & Showtime. Star Trek was on network television. That is why Star Trek was so well known while Stargate is not and will probably never be.

Erik Pasternak
December 13th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Stargate has been on Scifi & Showtime. Star Trek was on network television. That is why Star Trek was so well known while Stargate is not and will probably never be.
I wouldn't say that Stargate is not well known. It is synidcated throughout the U.S. and across the globe. It also stars Richard Dean Anderson, a very well known TV star, and it has been featured on the cover of TV Guide at least once, and has had several articles in the same magazine.

Darkstar
December 14th, 2004, 01:16 AM
i agree stargate is less known but i prefere stargate to startrek because there is no prime directive and because stargate is set in the present day fans can relate to most of the characters at times without feeling like they are just watching a load of aliens living out their lives on a starship flying through the galaxy, fans can really get into the story and characters is what dose it best for stargate, plus star trek had the irritating reset button in it especially voyager where they would have a story line the the next eps were totally diferent with no reference to the last ones, but stargate has a continus stroy arc and i suppose it dose have the problem that if you came in at a later season you would be like "who are they? what are these and whats going on" bacaus you havent seen the prevoius seasons but its so good it dosent matter that much.
i hope stargate sg1 will do many more seasons and in doing so get more recongnition for it and if they ever did a movi im definitely sure it would do well.
as for atlantis its great and i hope that dose over 8 seasons as well its great to watch and both series has loads of ife left in it yet for years to come.

cobraR478
December 14th, 2004, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't say that Stargate is not well known. It is synidcated throughout the U.S. and across the globe. It also stars Richard Dean Anderson, a very well known TV star, and it has been featured on the cover of TV Guide at least once, and has had several articles in the same magazine.
It is nowhere near the level of Star Trek. I don't see how people can aruge that it is. Everybody knows what Star Trek is, a much smaller percentage of the general public knows what Stargate is. I don't know anybody outside of my family that has ever heard of it.

AzMcNeil
December 14th, 2004, 10:50 AM
I can see it now....StarGate conventions with everyone in different SGC/Gouald/FURLING ;) costumes, cruise ships with the cast, nerds learning the languages and only speaking them....It will be bigger that Star Trek...in 20 years or so ;)

alz0rz
December 14th, 2004, 06:41 PM
A SG1 movie will be .. different - since your going to have to introduce sometime to a audience thats never seen the series before.. so they would explain things ALOT more and they have to make it believable for the general audience.. but at the SAME time they have to keep the storyline and the same action that we have come to expect so I would guess it really wont be much of a thriller :( and that will make me cry :( :o